Alternative beauty products thread?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lilmissmars

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

I know there are some good ideas floating about the place as to what we can use other than soap, shampoo, conditioner etc etc But I was wondering if maybe we should make a tread just for alternative beauty products.
Maybe if we get enough good ideas in this thread we could get it made into a sticky or something too.

We could put it into categories like:

Shampoo/conditioner alternatives (like all the great ideas from the no shampoo thread)

Soap alternatives (here we could put oat bags, and scrub type things)

Face product alternatives (lip balms, scrubs etc)

What does everyone think? we could also do this for household stuff too if there were enough different ideas looming around. And we could put a links section for places where you can get good natural products (actual natural ones that don't just say that are and then have tons of chemicals in the ingredients lol)

ETA... Oh and I am also volunteering to organise all of it into a nice list if people want (yeah I am that crazy hehe). we can just make up a list then people post their ideas and Ill add it to the first post etc etc

Edited by ~Chelsea~, 04 April 2007 - 04:46 PM.

#2 waawa17

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

And no need to limit it to "soap alternatives" - handmade soap is gorgeous.

Lara

#3 melandned

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

definantly - i would also like to have dishwashing stuff, washing powder etc and under each item peoples comments

maybe like this

household cleaner
recipe - vinegar and bicarb

comments
works well
a bit messy but ok

etc
etc

#4 Posh_Girl

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

Ok a great facial exfoliater and moisturiser which I use when I have a nice bath, is a tablespoon of olive oil (i use e.v) and a teaspoon of sugar, combine the two and rub over your face, gently exfoliating. You can then leave it one whilst having a bath or wash it off in warm water and pat dry. Your skin will glow with vitality and be sooooo soft to touch.  yyes.gif

#5 lilmissmars

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

Okay Ill jump in and do the list of what I can find in here so far on the weekend.

#6 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

I thought Susan, the mod, was going to start that up after I suggested that would be good to see in here... seems nothing has eventuated yet, but I would be v. keen to see a list for:

Personal (shampoo, soap, make up, feminine hygiene) ie. products reviews/ recipes/ hints

as well as

Household (cleaning products, cooking etc.) ie. product reviews/recipes/ hints

And hopefully add to it as well!!!

Thanks and good luck...

Edited by dixiebelle, 06 April 2007 - 11:15 AM.

#7 ~Susan~

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hi guys I am doing these lists up:) just having some net uissues at present original.gif

#8 lilmissmars

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Oh well thats a fizz then... I was looking forward to making a pretty list for everyone (as lame as that may be  blush.gif )

Sorry Susan didnt realise you were going to do one, hope I didnt step on your toes.

#9 auntiesocial

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

I have an awesome book filled with natural beauty recipes. Gotta find it but here are some off the top of my head:

A very gentle facial cleanser:
- whip together 50 mls of pouring cream, 2 tbsps maple syrup and 2 drops of rose or geranium essential oil. Pour into a bottle and store in the fridge for upto a week.

To use, pour a little into clean palms and gently massage onto the face. Scrub with a damp face washer to remove makeup, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Facial exfoliant (a recipe I made up myself)!
I love the origins exfoliator, and I read thro the ingredients..and then realised I could try and make it myself!
You need
- 5 tbsps fine rice flour (get it at asian grocery stores or health food stores)
- 5 tbsps sorbolene
1 drop of your fave essential oil

Mix together and store for upto 10 days or so in the fridge. Just grab a small handful, then massage gently into the face and neck. Rinse with cool water.

Get rid of all those overnight creams. The best thing for the skin overnight is just pure almond oil..if you don thave this, use normal olive oil. You'll find your face pulpy soft in the morning!

Another cleanser - whisk together 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 tsp light olive oil until well emulsified. Spread on the face and leave upto 1/2 hr. Better if you leave it overnight. Next morning, wipe with a clean dry face washer - you'll be shocked at how much dirt gets lifted off! Rinse and moisturise as normal.

Face masks
- A layer of honey, with a layer of grated cucumber on top. Messy, but so hydrating and therapeutic

- yoghurt and avocado

gosh ive got lots more but ds is trying to type too; so have to come back later.

#10 lilmissmars

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Awsome girls keep the ideas comming... Im typing up the list in word and will get a decent looking one up either tomorrow or Monday. Stoopid easter getting in the way of me doing the list up Tounge1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.