Alternative/Natural Beauty Products Thread

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lilmissmars

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

Okay ladies here is the list where we will place all of our beauty product alternatives.
If you have something to add you can PM it to me or post it at the bottom and Ill add it to the list.
If anyone wants to leave comments on any of the products, just post or PM me telling me what product and exactly what you want me to post as your comment on it and Ill add it.

Alternative Beauty Products:

Hair:
Indian Herbal Formula (Mirriams & *Coriander*)
For the best results, you *oil* your hair before hand..heat up some sesame oil, and massage it into the scalp, and leave on for about an hour. Wet the hair, massage the powder into it until it becomes goopy, then rinse well. It leaves the hair squeaky clean, so so so soft and lustrous, its amazing. U can buy this powder at most Indian grocery stores.

2 tablespoons shikakai powder
2 tablespoons reetha powder
1 tablespoon amla powder
1 teaspoon methi powder (ground up fenugreek seeds)

Mix these up in a big bowl, pour hot water over to cover, stir, leave it overnight or for a couple of hours then stir in a beaten egg once it has cooled. Then when I'm washing my hair, I rub some of it into my wet hair/scalp and leave it on for a while. The rest I keep in the fridge for next time.

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse (~Chelsea~)
Add 2-3 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 Lt of water.
Use this as a final rinse to your hair in the shower. You can rinse it off but apparently you don?t actually have to rinse it off at all if you don?t want.

Face:

Natural Facial Cleanser (~Sal),
Great for problem skin (havent tried it yet but intend to):
Honey - reasonably good quality. Squeeze a little onto your hand, add a few drops water, lather up and rub over your face. For deeper cleansing and moisturizing leave on for 10+ minutes. Apparently its divine and you will notice lovely skin after a week.

Facial Scrub (~Chelsea~)
Simply rub a small amount (1/8 cup) of brown sugar on your face. Works really really well and since sugar dissolves you don?t have the problem of getting little exfoliant bits in your eyes like you do with store bought exfoliants!

Exfoilator and Moisturiser
(*Starla*)
Ok a great facial exfoliater and moisturiser which I use when I have a nice bath, is a tablespoon of olive oil (i use e.v) and a teaspoon of sugar, combine the two and rub over your face, gently exfoliating. You can then leave it one whilst having a bath or wash it off in warm water and pat dry. Your skin will glow with vitality and be sooooo soft to touch.

A very gentle facial cleanser
(*coriander*)
- whip together 50 mls of pouring cream, 2 tbsps maple syrup and 2 drops of rose or geranium essential oil. Pour into a bottle and store in the fridge for upto a week.
To use, pour a little into clean palms and gently massage onto the face. Scrub with a damp face washer to remove makeup, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Facial exfoliant
(a recipe I made up myself)! (*coriander*)
I love the origins exfoliator, and I read through the ingredients. And then realised I could try and make it myself!
You need
- 5 tbsps fine rice flour (get it at asian grocery stores or health food stores)
- 5 tbsps sorbolene
1 drop of your fave essential oil
Mix together and store for up to 10 days or so in the fridge. Just grab a small handful, then massage gently into the face and neck. Rinse with cool water.

Overnight Cream Replacement (*coriander*)
Get rid of all those overnight creams. The best thing for the skin overnight is just pure almond oil..if you don thave this, use normal olive oil. You'll find your face pulpy soft in the morning!

Cleanser (*coriander*)
Whisk together 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 tsp light olive oil until well emulsified. Spread on the face and leave upto 1/2 hr. Better if you leave it overnight. Next morning, wipe with a clean dry face washer - you'll be shocked at how much dirt gets lifted off! Rinse and moisturise as normal.

Face masks (*coriander*)
- A layer of honey, with a layer of grated cucumber on top. Messy, but so hydrating and therapeutic

- yoghurt and avocado

Body:
Oat and Chamomile Bath Baggies (~Chelsea~)
Brilliant for a little one with nappy rash. Use muslin, stockings, socks or one of those little chiffon gift bags (my fave coz you can use it over and over). Fill it 1/3 with dried chamomile flowers, best to use the whole dried flowers but a couple of tea bags would be fine too. Then fill the other 2/3 with oats. Just keep squishing it under the running water while you run the bath. Then leave it in there for the duration. Really helps inflamed skin and makes bubbas skin soft as!
As many girls in the ?No poo? thread have found, you can use just oats in baggies too. And if you wanted you could add other herbs into bath baggies if you so wish.

Body Scrub
(~Chelsea~)
For a rough scrub use ? a cup of regular white sugar, for a gentle scrub use ? a cup of brown or caster sugar. Just rub around in circular motions till its all dissolved.

Personal Deodorant
(Midwitch)
cut a lemon in half: either rub directly onto your armpits or squeeze juice and dab onto armpits with rag/papertowel. Its fantastic and aluminium free. Use remains of lemon to freshen up your waste disposal.

Perfume
(blessedwithtwo)
almond oil
vanilla extract...
That?s it, smells so yummy, had a lady in the post office once comment to me that I smelt so yummy

#2 wilding

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Was going through my journal's memory section and came across this in one of my old entries, was orinally from http://www.livejournal.com/community/naturalliving

Natural Cream Deodorant
1/2 ounce cocoa butter
1/2 ounce beeswax
1 Tbsp glycerine
1 Tbsp rosewater

Melt cocoa butter and beeswax slowly in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat, add glycerine and rosewater. Add several drops of one or more of the following deodorizing esssential oils: calendula, coriander, eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, rosemary, sage, or thyme. Stir before use if cream seperates.

#3 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

How nice do these sound?

Cleansing Body scrub

1/4 cup of Manuka Honey
1tsp of ground Coffee
1tsp of ground Cinnamon
1/4 cup of Sea Salt

Blend ingredients together in a small bowl and use immediately for a cleansing and nourishing scrub over the whole body.

Soothing Coconut & Honey Bath

1 cup of Coconut milk
1/2 cup of Manuka Honey
1/2 cup of Chamomile Tea

Pour ingredients into a bath of approximately 34-36 degrees and indulge for at least 15 minutes. Remember to put a filter over the drain when emptying the bath to catch the Chamomile flowers.

http://www.aurorasparetreat.com/newsletter/spring06/

#4 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

I also wanted to ask, when you create your products, do you store them in glass containers/ jars and how long do you usually keep them for?

#5 Midwitch

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

Lovely protein treatment for dryish hair:
mix one egg yolk (NO white or it goes nasty), 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon runny honey.

After washing, place mix on your hair and use a showercap or similar for 2 hours. Rinse well. Feels divine.  cool.gif

Skin exfoliator especially for problem skin
-crush 4-5 aspirins with enough honey to make it a thick paste. Rub on gently and leave for 15 minutes while you shower. Then dampen with water and gently exfoliate. The aspirin is great for acne or breakouts and has a nice exfoliator texture and the honey is very moistureizing and healing.  original.gif

#6 lilmissmars

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

personally I make stuff up when I need it and to the amount i need. I havent tried storing stuff.

Although I will be trying my hand at soapmaking soon and those you can keep for a year depending on the ingredients.

#7 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

I was thinking about getting some little glass jars, so that if I actually get/ make time to start creating my own toiletries, I could store them in the little jars for the week... then I realised that sterilised baby food jars would be perfect!

#8 wilding

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

This is yummy and is taken from green is sexy

Strawberry Exfoliate:

Wash and strain 6-10 organic strawberries.
Lightly mash.
Add 2 tsp kosher or sea salt.
Mix in 2 tbsp olive oil.

Massage over body and leave on until you feel delicious, rinse well.

--------------

DIY GINGER SCRUB - from New Women bikini goddess diet book

Prep time - 5 minutes

You will need. Sugar, sweet almond oil, oats, essential oil (try lavender or ginger).

Whip it up. Mix equal handfuls of sugar and oats. Add the almond oil to reach sand consistency, then add 10 drops of essential oil. Only make enough for one or 2 applications to minimise bacteria, and keep in a sealed container.

Edited by wilding, 16 October 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#9 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

This used to be pinned??

#10 hussey

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi

I hope the title accurately reflects what I'm actually asking here!

I'm hoping to gather together some recipes for delicious smelly stuff (foot lotion/soak, hand cream) for us to make for DS1's daycare teachers for Christmas.  Any idea where I can find some easy recipes for us to make together?

TIA

Edited by hussey, 21 August 2008 - 02:27 PM.

#11 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

There was a Pinned thread with heaps of ideas and recipes... try Search function... I will just have a look for you!

http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index....9&#entry7925779

And I bumped it anyways...

Edited by dixiebelle, 22 August 2008 - 07:17 AM.

#12 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

*bump* cool.gif

#13 mrs*jones

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:20 AM

What a great idea!

I found these website - what do you think?

http://www.allnaturalbeauty.us/hbr_mainpage.htm

http://www.mybeautyrecipes.com/

I thought some looked pretty easy.  I'm not sure how long they "keep" for though.

#14 beccaj74

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for a great thread.

I make my own soap and it's lovely.  DH and I even use it in our hair and I have really dry hair which is lovely now.

I am even having trouble keeping up with the demand for it.

Bec

#15 station*masters*wife

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

Has anyone tried the recipe for deoderant? I am thinking about making some up for my DD's who are 14 and 12 as I cannot stand the chemical concoctions in aerosol cans that their friends all use. In my mind they are still my babies and I cannot but such poisons for them.

Kate

#16 blendingfamilies

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

For really dry, flyaway, "afro" type hair.- too rich for average hair.Rinse hair with Desicated coconut "water". Also a great spritzer/ leave in conditioner spray in a spray bottle
Make by using a hankie or tea seive and cold or warm, not boiling water.
My daughter calls this "coconut tea".

Added bonus, coats hair with natural oils making it harder for headlice eggs to stick to hair shafts:)

#17 blendingfamilies

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

Cinnamon powder: great teeth whitener/ stain remover.

Don't use more then once every week or two as it is rather abrassive on tooth enamel over time and not ment for everyday use.

Just wet toothbrush and cover with a pinch of cinnamon powder, then brush as usual and rinse. Pleasant taste. Safe for children. Great for gum health as well!

#18 babywitch

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

Hi I am interested in making an aftershave. Has anyone made one before? Any one got any tips or recipe for me to try???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.