Environmentally Friendly Cleaning Products Thread

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lilmissmars

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

Here is the list where we will place all of our enviro friendly cleaners etc.
If you have something to add you can PM it to me or post it at the bottom and Ill add it to the list.
If anyone wants to leave comments on any of the products, just post or PM me telling me what product and exactly what you want me to post as your comment on it and Ill add it.
Also if anyone has links etc we can work them in here as well.

Chemical Free Cleaners for your home:

Kitchen

Oven Cleaner (Midwitch)
mix together 1/4 c baking soda and 2T salt, hot water to make a thick paste. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Keep off elements and wires.

Oven Cleaner (Midwitch)
2 T liquid soap
2 t borax
1 qu warm water. Spray on oven and wait 20 minutes.

Oven/Stovetop Cleaner (Mumofive)
I use DRY bicarb on the tiles directly to remove grease and grim and if its a little mouldly add some citric acid to it! THen I spray vinegar ( cleaning vinegar we get in a 20L container as we live in the country) on it and it fizzes up and then I wipe it clean.

Microwave Cleaning (~Chelsea~ Courtesy of “How clean if your house”)
Fill large microwave safe bowl with water, cut a lemon into quarters and put in water. Microwave this on high for around 5 mins (might need longer depending how big the bowl is)
Then all of the grime and yucky stuff will be loosened by all the steam the boiling water has created and the lemon makes it smell nice and fresh. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth and you’re done!

Bathroom/Toilet

Disinfectant (Midwitch)
1/4 c borax
1/2 gal hot water
Add teatree oil for smell

Toilet Cleaner
(Midwitch)
pour 1/4 c baking soda into bowl then drizzle with vinegar. Let sit for 1/2 hour then scrub and flush. Add borax for stains.

Toilet Cleaner
(Mumofive)
I flush the toilet but turn off the water so it doesnt fill up! I then pour in about 500ml of vinegar once a month ( this is the BIG CLEAN) and then bicarb it and scrub it. Three times a week I just add bicarb and scrub then a little vinegar round the rims and then flush!

Mildew Remover
(Midwitch)
dissolve together: 1/2 c vinegar, 1/2 c borax in warm water. Spray on or use sponge.

Laundry

Fabric Softener (Midwitch)
add one cup vinegar or 1/4 cup baking soda during final rinse.

Washing Powder (Groovy Granny)
2 1/2 ounces soap bars, grated into flakes (Approx. a half a bar of soap)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

Put into a food processer until well belnded.
Use 1 table spoon per wash.

General Cleaning

Household Cleaner (Midwitch)
1 tea spoon liquid soap
1 tea spoon borax
squeeze of lemon
1qt warm water

1/4 cup baking soda
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup vinegar
1 gallon water.

Window Cleaner (Midwitch)
2 t vinegar
1 qt warm water

2 table spoons borax
3 cup water
Rub dry with coffee filters

Drain Cleaner (Midwitch)
pour together 1/2 c borax in drain followed by 2c boiling water.

Drain Cleaner (~Susan~)
Pour down a decent amount of bi-carb, then boil the kettle.. so its ready and hot!
then pour down about a cup of vinegar and it will all fizz and bubble, then when the fizz goes down pour down a kettle full of boiling water, then boil again and pour a second kettle of boiling water down it.

Air Fresheners (Midwitch)
-find source of smell and eliminate; keep house and closets well ventilated, simmer cinnamon sticks, orange peel and cloves; burn orange peel in your fire.
Add 15 drops of essential oil to warm water and spray around room. To absorb odours place 4 T baking soda or vinegar in small bowls in fridge or around house. Pour baking soda in the bottom or rubbish bins.

Upholstry Cleaner (Midwitch)
sprinkle cornmeal, baking soda or cornstarch on and vaccum when dry.

Floor Cleaner (Midwitch)
1/2 c white vinegar
1 gal warm water.
Polish with skim milk after washing will make it glow.

Flea Bath (Midwitch)
spray your pet/rub mix on fur: either lavender or eucalyptus oil in water. It kills the fleas and repels them for several weeks. Sprinkle borax on your floors to get rid of eggs, vacuum well.

Edited by Therese, 13 October 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#2 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

Wow, go Chelsea! That's an awesome list... will BBL with my input, and to check out others ideas... Thanks!  biggrin.gif

#3 wilding

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Was going through old journal entries of mine online and came across this in my memory section. These were from Body & Soul magazine but i got these from http://www.livejournal.com/community/naturalliving

Natural mold & mildew fighters

Tea Tree Oil Spray
Tea Tree Oil is a broad-spectrum fungicide and proves to be one of the best natural solutions for getting rid of mold and mildew.
2 teaspoons tea tree oil*
2 cups water (preferably distilled)

Combine ingredients in a spray bottle, shake to blend and spray on problem areas. Let dry, then wipe down the area. For carpets, add tea tree oil to the water in a steam cleaner (two teaspoons per every 1/2 gallon) or spot clean with the spray.
*Note that the smell of tea tree oil is very strong, but will dissipate in a few days.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Spray
Not as powerful as Tea Tree Oil, but it has the advantage of being odorless.
20 drops grapefruit-seed extract
2 cups water

Repeat steps listed above.

Peroxide Tile Whitener and Spray
Safer and less corrosive than bleach, hydrogen peroxide is a nontoxic, natural whitener.
1/2 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution
1 cup water

Repeat steps listed above, but discard after use. Hydrogen peroxide loses its potency when exposed to air.

Edited by wilding, 16 April 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#4 Miss~Behaved

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

Ok...  I'm new to this whole 'enviro friendly' thing...  so this is my first addition...  hopefully it won't be my last.

Home Made Dishwashing Gel

Ingredients:
* 1/4 cup Pure Soap Flakes
* 2 Cups Boiling Water
* 1/4 Cup Glycerin
* 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon/Citrus Essential Oil

Directions:
* Pour soap flakes into a large bowl and cover with boiling water.  Stir until the soap flakes dissolve.
* Cool to luke warm and then add the Glycerin and Lemon Oil and leave to cool.

As it cools it will form a loose gel. Stir with a fork and break up the gel and then pour into a narrow-necked bottle. An old shampoo bottle or clean dish liquid makes an excellent container.

Use sparingly.  You only really need a teaspoon or two at a time as it's fairly soapy and sudsy.  

I found it works really well, especially on heavily soiled items like fry pans and pots and it's gentle on the hands as well because of the glycerin.

Glycerin can be found in the supermarket in the personal health aisle.

** IMPORTANT NOTE **

This is for use in the kitchen sink, it doesn't work at all for dishwashers!  Please do not use in the dishwasher!!!

#5 wilding

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:07 PM

I got this recipe for homemade furniture polish from greenissexy biggrin.gif

Mix 2 parts olive oil to 1 part lemon juice. Use an old pair of undies or a partnerless sock to apply mixture to end tables, book shelves and the rest of your wood furnishings. This blend smells great and adds a beautiful glow! Mix a little too much? Soak a dust cloth in the leftover serum, wring it out and store in a mason jar for a quick, ready to go furniture polish wipe.

#6 NewLifeDirection

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

Edited by TheGoodLife, 04 September 2008 - 12:40 AM.

#7 JustSmileAndNod

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

Can I please add one? I was using commercial kettle cleaner  wacko.gif  but used vinegar and it worked much better!

Just add half a cup of vinegar to a full kettle, and boil. Rinse. If it is stubborn, soak overnight (but don't forget otherwise your morning coffee will be interesting!).

#8 mrsclothmama

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Some great tips there! Thanks! For the microwave one if you dont' have a lemon the stuff in a bottle still works really well!

#9 supernova09

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:49 PM

Amazingly helpful thread original.gif Me and my girlfriend have just moved into our first house and aren’t too knowledgeable when it comes down to house cleaning and remedies. This thread will become our home page: P as we will have to maintain our house and keep it clean so our son can grow up in a healthy and clean environment. All of these cleaning tips/remedies will also save us a lot of money staying clear of the cleaning industry giants. Massive thanks again.  eexcite.gif

#10 mandy2

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

Some great tips and with those normal ingredients you will be able to save money as well. Going green can actually be good for your money.

Thanks for posting this list biggrin.gif

#11 cjesse

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Love the lemon in the microwave trick.
Can I please suggest that some of the above are not environmentally friendly at all? (Sorry!). I am passionate about being as green as possible.
I have found a line of inexpensive cleaning products. They have the ONLY dishwasher detergent that is recommended by the Environmental Protection agency. They use a lot of natural ingredients but no bleach, no phosphates, no acid, no ammonia. Yet they will still remove permanent marker, gum, mould, etc. Cheaper than supermarket or department store prices. There is one that is hospital-grade disinectant (99.9% of germs killed).
Please consider our children's planet and oceans when cleaning. cool.gif

#12 Party of Five

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

Any ideas how to get mould off clothes?

#13 RillyBilly

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

I hope it's okay to mention that I just use Enjo products.  There is a citrus fluid and a chalk paste which is environmentally and child friendly, which I use if a little more power is needed.

I might try that tip for making your own detergent and washing liquid, plus the toilet cleaner one - ours could certainly use it and nothing else has worked, GRR!

The only chemical still in this house is the pre-wash spray.

#14 sylvielin

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

I love using White Magic Microfibre Sponges and Cloths. I use the sponge for getting marks off walls which my son loves to make with his bike. The Window Cloth is awesome for cleaning the windows. No need for any chemicals just water.

#15 Johnmichelsr

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (~Chelsea~ @ 08/04/2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is the list where we will place all of our enviro friendly cleaners etc.
If you have something to add you can PM it to me or post it at the bottom and Ill add it to the list.
If anyone wants to leave comments on any of the products, just post or PM me telling me what product and exactly what you want me to post as your comment on it and Ill add it.
Also if anyone has links etc we can work them in here as well.

Chemical Free Cleaners for your home:

Kitchen

Oven Cleaner (Midwitch)
mix together 1/4 c baking soda and 2T salt, hot water to make a thick paste. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Keep off elements and wires.

Oven Cleaner (Midwitch)
2 T liquid soap
2 t borax
1 qu warm water. Spray on oven and wait 20 minutes.

Oven/Stovetop Cleaner (Mumofive)
I use DRY bicarb on the tiles directly to remove grease and grim and if its a little mouldly add some citric acid to it! THen I spray vinegar ( cleaning vinegar we get in a 20L container as we live in the country) on it and it fizzes up and then I wipe it clean.

Microwave Cleaning (~Chelsea~ Courtesy of “How clean if your house”)
Fill large microwave safe bowl with water, cut a lemon into quarters and put in water. Microwave this on high for around 5 mins (might need longer depending how big the bowl is)
Then all of the grime and yucky stuff will be loosened by all the steam the boiling water has created and the lemon makes it smell nice and fresh. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth and you’re done or contact Carpet Cleaners Gold coast!

Bathroom/Toilet

Disinfectant (Midwitch)
1/4 c borax
1/2 gal hot water
Add teatree oil for smell

Toilet Cleaner
(Midwitch)
pour 1/4 c baking soda into bowl then drizzle with vinegar. Let sit for 1/2 hour then scrub and flush. Add borax for stains.

Toilet Cleaner
(Mumofive)
I flush the toilet but turn off the water so it doesnt fill up! I then pour in about 500ml of vinegar once a month ( this is the BIG CLEAN) and then bicarb it and scrub it. Three times a week I just add bicarb and scrub then a little vinegar round the rims and then flush!

Mildew Remover
(Midwitch)
dissolve together: 1/2 c vinegar, 1/2 c borax in warm water. Spray on or use sponge.

Laundry

Fabric Softener (Midwitch)
add one cup vinegar or 1/4 cup baking soda during final rinse.

Washing Powder (Groovy Granny)
2 1/2 ounces soap bars, grated into flakes (Approx. a half a bar of soap)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

Put into a food processer until well belnded.
Use 1 table spoon per wash.

General Cleaning

1 tea spoon liquid soap
1 tea spoon borax
squeeze of lemon
1qt warm water

1/4 cup baking soda
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup vinegar
1 gallon water.

2 t vinegar
1 qt warm water

2 table spoons borax
3 cup water
Rub dry with coffee filters

Drain Cleaner (Midwitch)
pour together 1/2 c borax in drain followed by 2c boiling water.

Drain Cleaner (~Susan~)
Pour down a decent amount of bi-carb, then boil the kettle.. so its ready and hot!
then pour down about a cup of vinegar and it will all fizz and bubble, then when the fizz goes down pour down a kettle full of boiling water, then boil again and pour a second kettle of boiling water down it.

Air Fresheners (Midwitch)
-find source of smell and eliminate; keep house and closets well ventilated, simmer cinnamon sticks, orange peel and cloves; burn orange peel in your fire.
Add 15 drops of essential oil to warm water and spray around room. To absorb odours place 4 T baking soda or vinegar in small bowls in fridge or around house. Pour baking soda in the bottom or rubbish bins.

Upholstry Cleaner (Midwitch)
sprinkle cornmeal, baking soda or cornstarch on and vaccum when dry.

Floor Cleaner (Midwitch)
1/2 c white vinegar
1 gal warm water.
Polish with skim milk after washing will make it glow.

Flea Bath (Midwitch)
spray your pet/rub mix on fur: either lavender or eucalyptus oil in water. It kills the fleas and repels them for several weeks. Sprinkle borax on your floors to get rid of eggs, vacuum well.

Those are very useful information about kitchen and bathroom cleaning. DO you make use of oven and what kind of techniques you used to clean it?

Edited by Johnmichelsr, 15 November 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#16 Carol P

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Abode liquid or powder, for sensitve and organic eucalyptus, I found them at Mitey Fresh and found they were very good.

Check ingredients on the label, they are all listed. Laundry and cleaning products, safe for my skin, my eyes and my nose, and the whole family.

I can read the list of ingredients and my skin and other senses can tolerate them.

Hope this helps you and your family. cool.gif

#17 KirstenMc

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

For stain removal in the laundry - of course treating every stain differently depending the source is great, but being lazy I just want a pre-wash spray... so I use one of these:

For general grime:
I just use a bicarb & vinegar spray, which is 1 part each of them, mixed with 2 parts water, in a spray bottle it will last about 2 months.

For tougher stains:
2/3 cup dishwashing liquid (I use earth choice)
2/3 cup ammonia
6 Tbsp bicarb soda
2 cups warm water

Same thing - mix it all up and put it in a spray bottle. Shake before use. BUT be warned ammonia, while okay environmentally (breaks down into salts) is not so good for you to breath in, especially if you have a respiratory condition like Asthma. And, if mixed with chlorine bleach it creates toxic fumes. So never do that!

Also, for grease stains, just rub on some dishwashing liquid, leave for a few minutes, then chuck it in the wash.

#18 *~dee~*

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

This is what I use:

General cleaner/sinks/toilet seat/floors:
1lt water
200mls vinegar
40 mls dishwashing detergent
40 mls eucalyptus oil
2 tblsp washing soda

Mix up in bottle and then put some in a spray bottle for the house. Can use lavender oil instead of eucalyptus if you don't like the smell.

Washing powder:
2 cups grated pure soap (or lux flakes)
2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax or bi carb
2 cups cheap napisan (optional)

Put through blender to make a fine powder. Use a heaped tbsp per load. Softener - Vinegar with a few drops of lavender oil - 1 cup.

Windows:
Spray vinegar and wipe with newspaper

Shower:
Spray vinegar and light scrub, rinse off

#19 seayork2002

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Can I ask what clothes/method you use to clean the toilet , I like the idea of the vinegar/borax/bicarb but how do you clean it?

#20 lhayden

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Thank you seayork2002 for sharing this awesome cleaner recipe with us,will surely use and will tell its reviews,thank you once again.

chemdry sydney

Edited by lhayden, 04 June 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#21 KirstenMc

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hey, I just wanted to add an update on my last post - don't do what I said and mix bicarb and vinegar and keep it in a bottle. By all means use them together, but you need to use them as the chemical reaction happens. Vinegar is a good prewash spray for somethings (especially sweaty clothes), just on it's own.

And here's an alternative to the other prewash stain remover, this one without Ammonia:

Ammonia Free Prewash Spray-on Stain Remover

In a clean spray bottle, measure in:

65 ml (¼ cup) glycerine (buy it in the cleaning section of your supermarket or from the chemist)
65 ml (¼ cup) dishwashing liquid (I use Eco Store brand, and it seems fine)
390 ml (1½ cups) distilled or cooled  boiled water
Shake to mix, before each use. Spray on to dirty clothes, leave a few minutes and toss in the wash.  

glycerine softens older stains too, so they can wash out of the fabric more easily, so if it's a stubborn stain, leave it for longer before putting in the wash, and it might help.  original.gif

#22 KirstenMc

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 11/03/2013, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I ask what clothes/method you use to clean the toilet , I like the idea of the vinegar/borax/bicarb but how do you clean it?

Oh, and I meant to add - I just wrote a post on this yesterday, after my cousin was asking me the same question.

The quick answer is to either sprinkle in the bicarb and allow to soak for a while, and then add the vinegar and scrub with your toilet brush while the fizz is happening, or, particularly if you have hard water stains, swish in the vinegar, leave to soak, and then add the bicarb and scrub.

Borax is a stronger alkaline cleaner and whitener than bicarb, so if you have harder to remove stains, try using it instead of bicarb and leaving it soak, or making a paste with the borax and scrubbing with a scouring pad - the sort you can use for a porcelain cooktop. I have seen a lot of people say to use pumice, but depending what sort of toilet you have, that can damage the surface, which will make new stains stick more quickly and thoroughly.

For more detail about what to use when, see my post at http://sustainablesuburbia.net/how-to-clean-the-toilet/

Cheers!

Edited by KirstenMc, 28 May 2013 - 11:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.