#1 Combining Work and Breastfeeding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#26 papilio

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

Good luck Belle!  You do deserve a medal.  I found that leaving my keys in the fridge was a more than adequate reminder to pick up my milk!  

Funny how one breast behaves better than the other!  My right one didn't produce as much as the left one, but it always leaked more.  In fact it still leaks now sometimes.

#27 cinnabubble

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hi all

I have just done my third day back at work. On the first day I didn't have to express, as my daughter visted me for lunch  wub.gif  and I only worked a six-hour day.

On Tuesday, I was at work from 8.20am until 5.20pm and had to express twice. The sick room at work had no lights, so I had to assemble the pump, express and pack up by the light of my mobile phone and a door that I left a bit open wacko.gif . The possibility of someone hearing the noise of the pump and coming to investigate just added to the tension...

Today I did another six-hour day on four hours' sleep. The good news is that the sick room light has been fixed, so I could see what I was doing  rolleyes.gif .

Tomorrow I work half a day from home and have the rest of the day off, so I'll be breastfeeding all day. I have found that, since I started expressing regularly, my letdown takes much longer, which makes my daughter agitated. I'm hoping that the opportunity to feed all day will help to manage that.

Like Sleepydwarf, I'm finding the whole mother/worker relationship weird and uncertain. I feel like I have two jobs and am failing dismally at both. It's hard to take the time that I need to express without it impinging on my working day. For example, on Friday morning, I'll be in a meeting from 9am until 1pm. I won't be able to excuse myself for 20 minutes and I'm really concerned about what I'm going to do. I imagine I'll just leak and then get away as soon as I can and then have another pumping session a few hours later.

I keep reminding myself that I'm doing my employer a favour by coming back to work six months before I had to, and that they can bloody-well make allowances for me, but it's hard when I feel like I'm stealing time from them to feed my baby. Here's to a lifetime of endless guilt  ph34r.gif .

Sleepdwarf: in my absence, my daughter (six months old and two solid feeds a day) is still only having about 200mls when I'm gone all day. I think she's saving herself for when I'm around.

Good luck tomorrow, Belle. You're an inspiration to lactating women everywhere.

Cinnabubble.

#28 mum@work

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

Hi all,
I've just started back 2 days per week and have a 9 month old who is still breastfed.  I've decided not to express at work if I can help it, so I have a stash in the freezer, and express after other feeds when I'm home.  Obviously if supply becomes an issue then I may have to, but DS2 only has 3 feeds in a day, so he's only missing the one in the middle of the day, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I have a 2 week conference away from home coming up, so I know that I have to get back on the pumping to get ready for that.  I have no idea how I'm going to get enough for that time, but I'll see what I can do.

Naomi

#29 pinotgrigio

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:19 AM

Hi mum@work, welcome to our little group. 3 BFs a day sounds pretty good, does he have formula as well, or is the rest of his feeds just solids? I'm hoping things will get a bit easier as my DS gets older & drops a couple of feeds. At the moment he has 5 or 6 BFs per day, so he is missing 3 feeds during the day. I had had problems with my supply so am expressing 3 times a day to try & keep in sync with DS & avoid my supply dropping off (fingers crossed).

Hi DrMinx - welcome to you too!
My DS is 7.5 months & this is the longest I have ever left him. I was like you terrified of returning to work. My CHN said it would be a good idea to 'practice' leaving him with DH (who is SAHD now) before I go back, but I didn't want to coz I wanted to spend as much time with him as I could before I had to leave him! I did a couple of half day shopping trips, but that was all I ever did. I think you're on the right track building up the time you leave bubs gradually. In the end I think it was worse for me worrying about leaving DS than it ever was actually doing it, and worse for me than it was for him when I finally did leave. I kept having to tell myself that lots of mums go back to work and they DO cope! (somehow!!)

I feel like I have two jobs and am failing dismally at both.
I know what you mean cinnabubble, it feels like I can't commit fully to either, so this is a compromise, where neither work nor DS get my full attention. I'm hoping it will get easier as we all start to adjust to it. I'm just taking it day by day right now.

Belle- good luck today! It will be interesting to hear about how it all went. I don't travel much for work, but there is the occasional interstate trip, & we sometimes do a bit of a road trip, I'm hoping neither one will happen at least for the next couple of months!

#30 lady*of*thelake

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Hi guys!!

Just reporting in to say that it is "do-able" because today I managed it! The only bummer is that I left a piece of my Avent Breastpump in Canberra sad.gif .  But that is today's only casualty and I am sure it can be replaced.

So, got up at 6.00am, got absolutely everything ready, and woke Romilly to feed her at 6.50am. She was sleepy, so popped her back in bed, phoned a cab as I was doing up my dress, got to airport, Canberra, straight into room to Express, meeting with my boss, big meeting with others, lunch with boss, further meeting with boss, express again, back in a cab, and back on the plane. Even managed a quick cuppa in the Qantas Club lounge! My sexy (not) metallic silver cooler bag got a few odd glances, but other than that we survived pretty well. Only got about 80mls out at the 2nd go though as I was stressed about getting the cab and making the plane, so I couldn't really relax and get the full thing happening. Got home at 5.45 and Romilly was ecstatic to see me and started making "feed me, feed me" noises straight away original.gif

Work from home tomorrow - boss ORDERED me to. Yahoo!!!!

Cinnabubble & Sleepydwarf, I so know what you mean about the failing at both thing. For no good reason, I apologised to my boss today for needing time to express. As in, "I'm sorry I'm dashing off now." He looked at me like I was mad and said "it is seriously NO PROBLEM!" which was lovely. Having a supportive workplace makes a difference, but isn't it crazy we carry so much guilt in our heads, as well as the impossible notion that we can be all things to all people.

Tomorrow is official "give yourself some space & a pat on the back day" for members of this thread.

#31 lady*of*thelake

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:21 AM

Question - how much EBM do all your bubs have during the day? I thought DS would have a lot more, but DH has said he's only been having 300 ml all up (in three feeds). Doesn't seem like much for 10-11 hours, but he has a big BF in the morning, another one as soon as I get home & then another one before bed, so maybe he's fine. I'd think if he wanted more he'd be letting DH know.

Sleepydwarf, my DD has been having about 260mls in two feeds. She has been scarfing the first bottle of 160 or so and then only 100mls or so in the second, leaving a chunk in the bottle(around 60-80mls down the drain!) So I'm thinking I'll leave smaller feeds in that second bottle, and then use the extra from that to top her up at her bedtime feed when my supply is lower.

Of course, the week I go back to work, Romilly has started sleeping like a champion. Wakes around 4.30 and gets into bed and settles straight back to sleep...no dummy-ins, nothing.

I may have been wrong about the dummy causing wake ups - since I've been topping her up she hasn't gone looking for it. Maybe it was because she was hungry/thirsty and the dummy just kept her going a bit longer  wacko.gif  I feel hideously guilty that I may have been starving her or keeping her thirsty for ages now!  cry1.gif

#32 loujay

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

When done Belle on your successful trip. I think that we'll all know that breastfeeding and work is the accepted thing when airline lounges have proper expressing rooms.

Girls, after you've had the mandatory 5 minutes relaxation tomorrow, fit in some time to make these biscuits. They are full of ingredients designed to help with maintaining/increasing supply. I used to make them all the time. I'm not sure if it was the actual ingredients that worked, or a good placebo to my control freak nature telling me that I was actually able to make a difference, but who cares, they're yum and a good excuse to eat chocolate.

Good Chocolate Chip Cookies

* 1 cup butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Preheat oven at 180 degrees C. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store. Don't substitute brewer's yeast for anything else... that's what makes them work!

I found the recipe on the Breastfeeding Association Website Forum

Have a lovely weekend.

#33 mum@work

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

I think you guys that are expressing at work are amazing, especially on that trip.  I already feel a lot of pressure at work because I'm only there 2 days, so I want to fit in as much work as possible.  I've noticed my supply has been low the past few days, which I think is because I've been tired and had an ongoing headache.  Because of this I'm trying to express after every feed, and see if things improve.  I'm also seriously looking at getting another freezer, because when I go away in a few weeks I'll need about 15 bottles of EBM for each week of the training.  I don't have room for that in my freezer!  How does everyone else make room?

#34 pinotgrigio

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

Yay Belle, well done !! What sort of work do you do?
For no good reason, I apologised to my boss today for needing time to express

I keep feeling like I have to apologise too - or I feel embarrassed about it blush.gif . And I know there's really no reason to feel embarrassed, it's bubs' food supply after all, but I still feel awkward about the whole deal.

Loujay - that looks yum! Choc chip bikkies that help your supply, how good is that  laugh.gif  After months of taking horrible fenugreek drops, having something nice would be such a change. Gonna head out & try & find all the ingredients at lunchtime (whoops, that's now!). BTW, what is silpat?  unsure.gif

#35 loujay

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

I have no idea what silpat is. I used the gladbake non stick stuff to line the baking sheet so I guess it is something similar.

As I said I got it off a forum, and I'm sure it was copied and pasted from some other forum  - is this the modern chinese whispers??????

#36 papilio

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Question - how much EBM do all your bubs have during the day? I thought DS would have a lot more, but DH has said he's only been having 300 ml all up (in three feeds). Doesn't seem like much for 10-11 hours, but he has a big BF in the morning, another one as soon as I get home & then another one before bed, so maybe he's fine. I'd think if he wanted more he'd be letting DH know.

W used to have two lots of 200-250ml over a 9-10 hour period.  I know what you mean though, I read somewhere that it is called reverse-cycling.  W would always drink a lot more from me in that period of time when I didn't work than when she was being given EBM in a bottle.

#37 shellbell3

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm not returning to work for another 12 weeks but have really started stressing!

My DD refuses a bottle, we've been practicing her sippy cup but more ends up down the front of her, hopefully by the time I need to return she'll have the hang of it and not get upset cause her on demand booby isn't around! I've never been away from her for more than couple hours, might have to practice how she goes without me.

Just a question, I alredy own a manual pump but cannot express anything therefore was planning to give formula while I'm away (I'm only doing 2 days/ week) and just hand express at work if I'm full or would it be better to hire an electric pump and try that out so I can give her EBM? Does anyone know rough idea of costs to hire?

#38 cinnabubble

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

Hi all,

we had a slight setback in the smooth return to work transition.

On Wednesday, my partner took our 6.5 month old daughter to his parents' place for the day. (Missing out on that is almost enough to reconcile me to returning to work  ph34r.gif ).

Anyway, time came to give her a bottle of EBM and she refused. He kept urging her, but she wasn't into it at all. He rang me and I told him not to force her, to offer water or food. So she scarfed down apple puree and all was well.

They picked me up from work and she was very quiet. When I got her out of the carseat at home she suddenly opened her mouth and heaved and apple puree went everywhere. She didn't stop until it was all out of her. After I cleaned her up I gave her a breastfeed.

She seemed OK after her vomit and feed -- good colour, no temperature etc -- so I took her downstairs and put her on the rug while I got changed. Then I heard her cough and raced into the living room and she had brought up all of the milk I had just fed her. She fed a few times later that with no problems and slept well overnight.

We think that the EBM had spoilt slightly, which is why she refused it, but she got enough the upset her stomach. Her father feels terribly guilty, but it's not his fault.

I worked from home yesterday, so she breastfed all day and I held off on solids for most of the day to ensure that she got her fluids back up. She was fine.

Today I had a long day at work and my partner discovered that she's refusing the bottle. He checked that it wasn't another bad batch of milk -- wasted a lot of milk doing it, too. But she seems to have developed a mistrust of the bottle. We will be working on introducing sippy cups over the weekend, which I hope will be successful  hands.gif .

Sorry for the long post, but it's been one of those weeks.

Belle: I've said it before and I'll say it again -- you're an example to lactating women everywhere. You totally earned the work from home day today.

I know what you mean about feeling the need to apologise for taking time to express. I was too shy to excuse myself from a looong meeting today, even though I was bursting. The good thing is that the meeting ended an hour early, so I got a reprieve. Must work on asserting myself.

Have a great weekend, ladies.

Cinnabubble.

#39 gonzi

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

Well done everyone!  I have been back at work for almost a month now, and we're still BF!  I work 3 days a week, my two kids are with my mum one day a week, and in CC for 2 days a week.  I express using a Avent handpump, 3x a day in a lovely empty office with a lock on the door and loads of support from my employer.  A few people even ask me how much I got this time, when I come out of the office!!
I am not a great expresser...I get about 200-250mls a day from 3 expressing sessions.  But then, my babe isn't super keen on her bottles, and only has about 120 mls in each of her 2 bottles.  She prefers to wait for me!  Given she is 9mo and eating solids well, I am happy for her carers to give her a few small meals and water, in addition to her bottles to help her get through the day.  
Initially, my supply dipped a bit, but when I'm not at work, I feed DD2 very frequently, before and after naps...and whenever she complains or seems sad!  Sometimes I take fenugreek too.  This has helped my supply.
I am really pleased with how things are going, and quite surprised to still be breastfeeding as I wasn't successful with my first DD, and I haven't planned to breastfeed for a specified time, I'm just taking it a week at a time, and whammo! suddenly she's 9mo and we're still going strong!
Well done everyone and keep pumping!

#40 KimsKidlets

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Hi Ladies,

My names Kim and I have a gorgeous little boy, Lachlan who will be 12 weeks next week! My work have recently begged me to return 3 days a week and made me an offer too good to refuse. I am going to do this either until I had planned to return full time later in the year or until I decide I don't want to do it anymore and can just resume my non working for a while if need be as I was planning to be off until November anyway!

But it allows me to preserve my savings and earn a bit more. Its taken a week of tears and dread to decide to accept it mind you and when I go back in 6 weeks I'm pretty scared. The good news is that we will have 4 days in a row together to feed and then 3 days I need to go to work. I plan to feed him at 7am before I go then have his carer which will be alternate between my mum or aunt give him bottles of hopefully EBM for the 10am, 2pm and 4pm feeds he usually does. Then I will do his 6pm and 3am ones still. I hope!

I have started expressing each night at 10:30pm before bed to build up some frozen milk (Oh a tip there - buy breast milk freezer bags to same room in the freezer! They are at most good chemists or even on Ebay) in anticipation.

My problem is that I am a rep so work on the road each day visiting clients. The only place I will be able to express is in toilets or maybe if I stop in at a parents room if I happen to be driving past a shopping centre at the right time of day. Although I bet I will get weird looks going into a feeding cubicle with no baby  sad.gif

So it was great to read about the esky bags and ice bricks keeping it cool! I even considered one of those car fridge things. HA! I still find this funny as I started breastfeeding with an attitude of just seeing how it went, no real care about it, (in fact almost looking forward to the end because this mummy enjoys a nightly wine or two) and now I am so dedicted to keeping it up.

I would miss that bond so much and hope we can feed when I get home and on our 4 days as I think it will help me cope better emotionally with leaving him as I was really not ready to. Not sure I ever would be to be honest.

Anyway I'm really happy to find this thread and rea dyour stories and know others have felt the same and are making it work so THANK YOU. I head back in about 6 wks and will try to keep you updated on how we go as well.

#41 lady*of*thelake

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the positivity gals! And welcome to new members of this thread  original.gif

Sleepydwarf, I'm a Senior Project Officer in the Federal Public Service. I work for National Office, but outposted in Sydney original.gif  You?

Someone else was asking about at home storage - I actually bought a chest freezer in early March. You can pick up good ones for a couple of hundred, and they chill right down to minus 18C. Breastmilk can keep for up to 12 MONTHS in one of those, (only 3 months in a regular fridge freezer) so for me it was definitely worth the investment. Yesterday Rob gave Romilly some breastmilk expressed in the first week of January and it defrosted fresh as a daisy.

Kimandlockie, perhaps you could consider getting the latest version of the Medela Pump-in-style if you are on the road a lot? It's a big investment (about $490 new), but you can find the newer ones a bit cheaper on Ebay and you can get an IN CAR attachment. In other words, you can plug it into the cigarette lighter and draw the pumping power from the car battery. You'd just have to make sure you were parked somewhere secluded to use it, but infinitely better than having to scout around to find a toilet or shopping centre.

The Pump-in-style also has a cool storage compartment built into it, and you can get special Medela ice bricks to fit into it. I've got the older style Messenger bag Pump-in-style, not the backpack, but even the older style one has the great cool storage compartment.

Perhaps you could twist your work's arm to pay for it seeing as they are getting you back early?  tongue.gif  Or buy it and claim it as a tax deduction? (It IS something you need to be able to work....)

Cinnabubble my lovely, I hope Maya takes to the sippy cup. Sorry to hear about bottle traumas. Was your partner definitely using the right teat? Just wondering if it could have been a "flow" issue that's turning her off.... Will PM over the weekend  original.gif

#42 Angela9

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

Hi everyone,
You are all so inspiring!!!! I will be going back to work in July part time. DD will be not quite 5 months old sad.gif I really need to start expressing- have been procrastinating. Not looking forward to expressing at work, would be so embarrassed if anyone walked in and saw.. but I keep telling myself it is a good thing. Imagine if men had to express breast milk. There would be rooms everywhere- even in the Qantas lounges  laughing2.gif Anyway, they would probably have daycare places at everyone's work so you could just visit your bub... dreaming..!
Keep your stories coming, you are all amazing  grin.gif

#43 *lollypop*

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

I am thinking about returning to work for 1 day to start of with a week and I will miss 1 or 2 feeds in that time, DD will be 5 or 6 months and I was wondering how many ml of ebm would I need for a feed?

BTW At 4 months I have never tried DD with a bottle and I haven't tried expressing yet.

Edited by *lollypop*, 05 May 2007 - 09:02 AM.

#44 KimsKidlets

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for those great ideas lady of the lake - thats great thinking!!!

One other question others may be able to help me with,well actually 2, is this:

1) If I just used my trusty Avent hand pump which I can work with really well, I would take it with me freshly sterilised when I left in the morning. But after the 1st pump at 10am its obviously no longer sterile. So with the 2nd and maybe 3rd pumps of the day do I just have to discard that milk if it has been pumped through an 'unsterile' pump? I don't really have the option to use a steriliser in a kitchen anywhere or anything like that as I am on the road. A good wash in hot water, maybe boiling from an urn at some places, would be the best I could do. Any thoughts?

Secondly, if I skip a feed and express instead (if DH is giving a bottle for example), I tend to only express around 80-100ml. I do this fairly quickly and then the supply trickles down to just one small jet IYKWIM from the nipple rather than a spray. Around this time I finish up. As I have no idea how much milk baby takes in a feed, do you think expressing off this amount each missed feed time is enough to keep supply up? Should I be waiting longer for another let down if I can get one to try and get more? I would prefer not to when time is of the essence obviously!

Would love your thoughts - I am so glad I found this forum!!!

Edited by kimandlockie, 05 May 2007 - 12:54 PM.

#45 pinotgrigio

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hi everyone

*lollypop* - I think each bubs is different re how much EBM they need. My DS (7.5 months) misses three feeds during the day when I'm at work & he has 300 ml spread over those feeds, but I've heard of others that have more. Sounds like a good idea to start with one day a week, so you & your bubs can get used to being apart during the day.
Now would probably be a good time to start expressing so that you get used to it, and also so you can try out your bubs with a bottle - some don't take to it at all, so you might have to look at other ways to feed her (like sipper cups & things like that). Lots of people recommend building up a bit of a stash in the freezer for when you do go back to work so that if you don't manage to express enough during the day, there's some there to fall back on for a while. The ABA website has quite a lot of information on returning to work & expressing, it's worth a look at too.

Angela9 - Do they have somewhere at work with a lockable door that you can use, coz I imagine it would be quite unsettling to be somewhere where anyone could walk in and see you. unsure.gif

kimandlockie - According to the ABA you don't need to sterilise the pump during the day, you can either rinse it in cold water after you pump or store it in a container in the fridge, as long as you wash it at least once a day.
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/pumpsug.html
You sound like you get about the same as me. I'd love to have time to wait for another letdown, but rarely do, I usually pump for about 10 mins each side & what I get is what I get (unless it's going crazy when 10 mins is up, in which case I keep going till that ends). It's probably not the best thing for my supply, but it's also not practical to stay there for an hour  tongue.gif Maybe try it a couple of times & see how long it takes for the next letdown, then that will give you an idea if its doable or not?
I do the 10:30 express as well, I started doing it because DS sleeps through & I was having supply troubles so wanted to try & compensate for a 11-12 hour break overnight, but now it's to build up the stash as well. So far it's working quite well.

lady*of*thelake - I work for the Tassie state government. I worked for more years than I wanted to for a couple of federal govt departments in Canberra, but a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to return home to Tas, (actually it was DH's idea & he's not even from here!). I have to say I was very dismayed by how easy it was to slip back into the world of bureaucratese when I went back to work, it must be like riding a bike or swimming, you must never forget it.  rolleyes.gif  It honestly felt like I'd not been away at all, my boss said it was like missing two years of Days of our Lives & coming back to it & not have missed anything (as you do!)  ....

cinabubble - good luck with the sippy cups. DH is trying to introduce them as well, but doesn't want to push it, coz at the moment it involves a lot of spillage. We've been mainly using it for water so the EBM doesn't get wasted.

#46 whitto04

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:25 PM

Congratulations to everyone working and BF. It's not always easy, but it is possible.  grin.gif
I returned to work when Emily was 7 months old. This Friday will be 5 months of combining work and BF!
I have an Ameda 'Purely Yours' double electric pump. I got mine in a kit with a really nice cooler bag (complete with ice bricks) and a car adaptor is available for it too.
I normally am in the office, but have spent one day on the road. I took a manual pump, 2 cooler bags (one for the milk and one for the pump) and lots of ice bricks. I used an antibacterial hand gel to clean my hands (no running water available) and cleaned my hands prior to my 'expression session'. After use, I stored my pump in one cooler bag and the milk in the other, then loaded the ice bricks into the cooler bags. When I got home that day the milk (and pump) was cold, so I was happy to feed it to my DD.
The day I was on the road, I had to express in a parked car but thankfully it wasn't in a really public place. I would get the pump in the right place then use a cloth nappy over the top to keep everything hidden.  closedeyes.gif  If I was out more often I would probably try a small esky and lots more ice bricks, but for my one day the cooler bags worked well.
So far, we haven't had any major dramas. But in a month I will be changing my work location and getting a new supervisor. I will actually be close enough to go to my baby and feed her directly. Hopefully my new boss will allow my lactation breaks to co-incide with Emily's feeding schedule, otherwise I will be within walking distance but still using my pump!

#47 lady*of*thelake

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

Kimndlockie - I was going to reply to your q about sterilising on the road but Sleepydwarf has said everything I would say and better! Don't throw out that milk - "clean" goes a long way and "totally sterile" is not completely necessary.

whitto04 - WELL DONE! Lovely to hear from another ingenious, practical, long-term expresser. The tips in this thread are EXCELLENT.

There should be an article in one of the big Sunday Paper magazines profiling some of us  tongue.gif  just so that people out there know that it can be done - and that not every woman contemplating this feels like she has to reinvent the wheel when there is such a store of knowledge and experience already available  original.gif

I do this fairly quickly and then the supply trickles down to just one small jet IYKWIM from the nipple rather than a spray. Around this time I finish up. As I have no idea how much milk baby takes in a feed, do you think expressing off this amount each missed feed time is enough to keep supply up? Should I be waiting longer for another let down if I can get one to try and get more? I would prefer not to when time is of the essence obviously!

I think that will be fine, your baby will probably "reverse-cycle" anyway. This means they take less milk when you are away (just enough to take the edge off), and generally have longer feeds when you are around. If you look up www.kellymom.com there is some info on reverse-cycling there.

I try to keep going until even that last jet finishes  tongue.gif but only if I feel it hasn't been too long. Like you, if time is of the essence then I finish up. The "sprays" when they happen are incredible though, aren't they? Here you are, going "drip, drip, drip", then suddenly the tap goes on and there's 70mls in a minute or two!!!

Weird factoid of the night.....the most "jets" I ever counted at once was 6. Can anyone beat that?  ph34r.gif  tongue.gif  grin.gif

#48 Mumof4Rachael

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:04 PM

Hi, I just wanted to say that it is possible to combine breastfeeding and work given the right circumstances. Next week it will be one year since I returned to work when DS was 8 weeks old. Breastfeeding and expressing is still going really well  biggrin.gif , I demand feed him when I am home and DH feeds him EBM when I am at work, DH is a stay at home dad. I express once during my 10 hour night shift, but in the early days I expressed 2 times during an 8 hour day shift. I am a nurse in a public hosptial and my work is very supportive. I am entitled to expressing breaks, I am not sure how often or how long but I have been told to go whenever I need to and take as long as I need. My boss informed me that the maternity ward provide somewhere private for staff to express and that I am allowed to use the hospital's electric pumps if I supply my own kit. I am happy with my hand operated avent and have never used that hospitals, but it is nice for them to offer. Luckily I can express 260 - 300 mls in about 10 minutes.

kimandlockie I agree with what the others have said about the sterilising, I don't sterilise my pump at all now that DS is over 1, but in the early days I sterilised it before I left for work and then washed it after using it before I used it for the second time. As I mentioned above I am lucky that I can express a good amount in 10 minutes, I usually have 2 letdowns on my right side and express about 80% of my milk from the right breast but only have 1 letdown from the left.

lady of the lake I get about 8 or 9 jets from my left side, but only 5 or 6 from my right. But thought that you might like to know I looked it up in a midwifery textbook and apparently the nipple contains 15 - 20 "jets" which are called lactiferous ducts. Wow!

Anyway I just wanted to say well done everyone, we all deserve gold stars.

Rachael
DS9, DD7, DS5 and DS1.

#49 pinotgrigio

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hi pumpers & pumpers-to-be & former pumpers ( biggrin.gif )
How's everyone doing.

Not much to report, am still managing to pump 3 times a day at work. I've set up a desk in the first aid room so I can read & do a bit of notetaking while I'm there. Might as well do something constructive  biggrin.gif  I take my mobile in with me too to keep track of time, not so anyone can contact me & end up getting distracted by the excellent (ha) games on it.

I was talking to someone at work today about BF & she said that there was now evidence that nine months is the best time to give it up. I don’t know why. I said that the Health Department recommended one year and the WHO recommended two years. She seemed to think that this ‘evidence’ indicated that it wasn’t good to go on after nine months.

I should have asked her where this came from! Has anyone else heard this?

Bye for now.

#50 cinnabubble

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

Hi guys

Sleepydwarf: I reckon that your colleague got that advice (re BF for nine months) from the Anecdotal Journal of Medicine, where it has been peer reviewed by her mum and her SIL's best friend. In other words, I'd be surprised if there was anything behind it, but I'm happy to be corrected.

I wish my sick room had space for a desk. I sit crosslegged on the floor in the metre-wide space between the wafer-thin wall (through which I hear all of the secrets of the HR Director) and the stretcher. I keep my back to the door at all times. On Monday of last week I actually had to express by the light of my mobile phone, as there was no light in there. And I'm a public servant.

In a serendipitous turn of events, I just found this article on how breastfeeding-unfriendly Australian Workplaces are.

My daughter has continued to refuse to take a bottle or sippy cup since she had the spoilt breastmilk last Wednesday. I am at my wits end, as I will be at work until around midnight tomorrow night (yes, I really am a public servant). I will have to get her father to bring her in for a couple of feeds between 5pm and 6pm, or else she'll dehydrate. I am about to post a question in the general breastfeeding area to see if anyone can solve this problem, so any input will be gratefully received.

Cinnabubble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.