#1 Combining Work and Breastfeeding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#51 papilio

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

Sleepydwarf: I reckon that your colleague got that advice (re BF for nine months) from the Anecdotal Journal of Medicine, where it has been peer reviewed by her mum and her SIL's best friend. In other words, I'd be surprised if there was anything behind it, but I'm happy to be corrected.

ROFL! I love this!  

Not sure what to suggest about the bottle/sippy cup refusal.  Have you tried a straw cup? Taking the valves out of the sippy cups?  Would she take milk from a teaspoon/syringe?  Or just an open cup?

Edited by candida, 07 May 2007 - 11:35 PM.

#52 whitto04

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

*note to self- get DH to check boobs for use by date*
I didn't realise that my body would know how long DD had been feeding for and at 9 months, stop putting all the wonderful antibodies and hormones into my milk. That's great to know- I will just start going to the shop and buying powdered milk from another mammal to give her instead...
I have heard those rumours about time to stop BF many times, but until I see anything remotely resembling evidence then I will keep going. I would like to keep going for 2 years to reduce my risks of breast and ovarian cancer- the fact that I will still be boosting DD's immune system with every feed is a huge bonus.
Cinabubble- I replied to your other post about bottle refusal. Good luck with getting EBM into your LO.
Sleepydwarf- I also keep my mobile with me when I express. I have lots of photos of DD on there, and a couple of video clips which I look at to help me when I express.  
(I have my mum staying with me this week, and she watched me express yesterday. She asked a few q about it, and I said I do it every 3-4 hours when DD is at daycare. She said if that was her then she would wean! It's not that much trouble, and it's certainly easier than bottles IMO!)

#53 pinotgrigio

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

cinnabubble - I thought much the same thing! I mean who is more likely to be right, the Health Department/ABA/WHO or someone who doesn't have kids & (by logical deduction) has never BF? I did wonder though what 'harm' people think BF would do - ever !

Your sickroom sounds very classy. Must be very cosy if you're sick! Any juicy goss from the HR director though? Ours is reasonably big, it has an actual bed and looks like it's used to store junk in. It also has that musty, never used smell about it & is pretty cold. But it's on a floor of the building where there are only training rooms & facilities, so I don't need to worry about anyone hearing me (I hope)!

Rachael - big gold stars to you - one year, that's fantastic. And you sound like you have a really supportive workplace, so I guess that helps a lot. Good on them too!

lady*of*thelake - not sure how many jets I get. Maybe 4 or 5 if things are going well. More on the right than the left.

candida - I had a look at your pumping tips doc - it's amazing the different things that work for different people - thanks for posting that.

whitto04 - that would be great to be close enough to be able to feed bubs at work. Hope your supervisor comes to the party. I've done the pumping in the car thing. It feels a bit weird, but I don't think people even notice what you're doing when they walk past.

OK, i better go and do some work!

Edited by sleepydwarf, 08 May 2007 - 08:58 AM.

#54 happyhere

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

Great thread!

I will be returning to work when bubs is about 12 weeks - He is on the breast at the moment but we have stocked up on bottles etc.

Did anyone have any issues with swapping from breast to bottle...I am wondering how soon I should do it!???

Also - another thing that has baffled me....two midwives in hospital told me not to but the bottle in the microwave as this will kill all the goodness..this was the first I had heard of that, I wondered if they were just saying it due to safety issues...microwave heating up bottle too quickly etc

One more thing that had confused me too is - can I leave expressed breast milk at room temperature for up to seven hours and then give it to bubs? I was told this by a consultant BUT i haven't been able to find any info on it anywhere...

Thank you, Christie

#55 karen80

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

After reading this thread I am now determined to continue breastfeeding when I return to work part time in July.  DS will be 9.5 mo and at this stage refuses to drink anything other than water from a bottle so I was wondering how I was to return to work.

The day care centre I have him enrolled him in encourages mothers to come and bf when required.  My very healthy 10kg 7.5mo loves food and I think will only require bf before day care, during my lunch hour and when I pick him up so I am thinking I can manage it.  I'm really pleased about this and makes me much more comfortable about returning to work.

Day care centre is just down the road from work and my boss is extremely supportive about family.  I will probably still express 1-2 times per day to maintain supply and also to have on hand at centre in case he decides to drink it from a bottle.  I also love the idea of feeding him at lunch time because I will get to see him which means I will not be away from him for more than about 5 hours at a time.

Obviously this is all good in theory and I will have to wait and see how it all works out but it is comforting to know that others are doing it and succeeding!!

Karen

#56 koalas

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

I've just recently returned to work (today was my second day) and I am leaving DD expressed milk but she refuses to take it sad.gif.  I don't know what to do to get her to take the milk.  ARGH!!  What can I do?

#57 lady*of*thelake

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hi all,

Just checking in to lend moral support to all those having a tough week!!

Romilly has had a fever for the last 2 days so lots of extra BFing when I get home! Fed her at 6.30, 8.30 and 10.30 tonight  wacko.gif

Will write and answer some q's tomorrow.

Nite all!

#58 pinotgrigio

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

koalas - sorry to hear you're having problems. Have you tried things other than bottles & teats? Your DD is about the same age as my DS & he is just starting to figure out the sippy cup, so maybe that's an option. I've also heard that you can use a small cup- I tried him a few times just with the lid of an Avent bottle as a cup & we had a bit of success. I think he would've got the hang of it if I'd persevered longer (now he's home with DH, so he gets to try all these things out!)

karen80- sounds like a good plan - that's great that you'll be able to feed him in your lunch break. I'd love to be able to do that, but we live too far away from my work to make that a practical option.

Christie - I'm not sure when 'they' suggest introducing a bottle. With DS he had it pretty much from week 1 because he couldn't attach properly. I was always worried about the breast confusion thing, but it hasn't ever been a problem for us, he'll take the bottle and the boob equally happily. I've always used a slow teat for him, so that he doesn't start to think the bottle is easier. The Pigeon one is supposed to be quite like a nipple (if that's possible!) so is a good one to try.

But its probably a good idea to try it a few times before you go back to work to make sure there aren't any problems.

I've also heard that you shouldn't mictrowave EBM. Not sure why, but I didn't want to take any risks. I usually heat it by standing the bottle in a cup of hot tap water (not boiled water as it can kill the good stuff) - it never gets really warm, probably about room temp at the most & DS is used to that now.

re storage, I got this off the ABA site, you can store Freshly expressed into a closed container 6–8 hrs (26ºC or lower).
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/express.html

lady*of*thelake - hope Romilly is feeling better now.

Hi to everyone else - hope you all have a good day.

#59 lady*of*thelake

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

I've also heard that you shouldn't mictrowave EBM. Not sure why, but I didn't want to take any risks. I usually heat it by standing the bottle in a cup of hot tap water (not boiled water as it can kill the good stuff) - it never gets really warm, probably about room temp at the most & DS is used to that now.

Yep - this is true. Microwaving EBM kills all the fabulous immune properties and a lot of the more delicate beneficial compounds that breastmilk contains. It can also cause "hotspots" within the milk because most microwaves heat unevenly, which can then accidentally burn the baby's mouth.

Even frozen milk defrosts really quickly if placed in something like a coffee cup of hot water.

Well, I'm at home today as I have two casualties on my hands! Romilly still has a fever and Rob has just been throwing up. So I am at home tending to both (but still feel naggingly guilty that I am not at work). Who knew that this whole back-to-work motherhood thing would be so LADEN WITH GUILT????

On the bright side, and reporting in about my expressing situation at work - we have a lovely first aid room with a sink, urn, fridge and light and I can pump in complete privacy and tranquility. Although I do hear some interesting conversations filtering through from the lunchroom next door!! I usually take in my mobile phone (although God knows how I'd pick it up when I'm double pumping!) and something to read.

Christie - Babylove by Robyn Barker suggests milk will keep for 6 hours without refrigeration below 26 degrees.

We gave Romilly a bottle around Week 4 and have been giving them to her periodically since to make sure she will take it. But I'm lucky in that she has taken pretty much whatever - bottle, boob, sippy cup. We did have to persist with the sippy cup for about 3 weeks though (of solid offering!!)

#60 lady*of*thelake

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

was talking to someone at work today about BF & she said that there was now evidence that nine months is the best time to give it up. I don’t know why. I said that the Health Department recommended one year and the WHO recommended two years. She seemed to think that this ‘evidence’ indicated that it wasn’t good to go on after nine months.

I should have asked her where this came from! Has anyone else heard this?

What cinnabubble said  wacko.gif

The girl I get the first aid key off said something similar to me yesterday.

She came back to work when her bub was 3 months and expressed to 6 months. She said "I've studied nutrition and there's no nutrition left in breastmilk past 6 months."  I just went "mmm...hmmm" because I couldn't be bothered having an argument about it. I mean, sure, the iron dips after 6 months or so but that doesn't mean there's "no nutrition left" - it fulfills most of a baby's calcium needs in the first year and has health benefits for immune development/jaw development etc as long as you do it.

Gah! Why is there SO MUCH misinformation out there about BF?

#61 papilio

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

Gah! Why is there SO MUCH misinformation out there about BF?

Because people are idiots!   grin.gif

#62 pinotgrigio

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

It also continues to benefit the mother in terms of reduced risk of some cancers if she continues to BF up to 2 years or something like that, like whitto04 said.

I've read that the world average age for weaning is something like 4 - which means that there must be a lot of countries that go on way past that if places like Australia most people give up by 12 months.

I just went "mmm...hmmm" because I couldn't be bothered having an argument about it.

Thats exactly why I didn't say anything either.

Is anyone else getting wildy varying amounts when they pump? At work for a 20-30 minute session my 'output' (love the public service words  laughing2.gif ) has varied from 80 ml to 130 ml & at home at my 10pm session one night it was 125 the next it was 50. Anyone know why? I keep thinking my supply is dropping  ohmy.gif  then the next time I pump it's back to 'normal'. Weird.

Edited by sleepydwarf, 09 May 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#63 cinnabubble

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Hi all

Sleepydwarf: my output is variable, but I tend to average 90-100mls per session, providing that I have left around four hours between sessions.

Lady*of*thelake: Belle, I hope everyone is feeling better soon. And I hope you don't catch whatever is going around. I sooo hear you on the guilt thing. I am just debilitated by the guilt of being a mother at work and a worker at home. My boss says it's normal and you just learn to live with it. Hmmmm.

Koalas: my daughter has just started refusing a bottle and sippy cup. She's almost seven months, so we're sneaking EBM into food (ie watery Farex for breakfast) and doing more solid feeds during the day so I can breastfeed at night and on the three days a week that I'm with her.

Well, fellow pumpers, I have a confession to make. I can cope with returning to work, I can cope with living each day at a sprint because I'm doing a 40 hour week in 32 hours, I can cope with carving out a little part of my day to express -- but I cannot cope with all of the above AND TEETHING  cry1.gif .

Baby girl is waking about 3.30am and is totally beyond settling. She will sleep in our arms, but not in bed. Panadol doesn't help. Bonjella gets eaten before it reaches her gums. I am sleeping in bite-sized chunks of two to three-hours. Yesterday I got home from work at 11.20pm and she was up for the day at 3.30am. I eventually went back to bed until 9.45 and was late for work, so my poor colleagues are picking up my slack, which I hate.

She is currently sitting in her highchair, chewing on a rusk and watching the news while I use the computer. More guilt for me, but if I don't get a second to myself I'll go postal.

Must go. The grizzling has started again.

Cinnabubble.

#64 whitto04

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

Part of the reason there is so much misinformation is due to a smear campaign against BF from formula manufacturers. There is a large marketing sector who want BF women to fail so they can sell their inferior replacement product. But that is a whole other propaganda thread!!
It looks like I need to spend more time BF when I am with DD. My amounts are down a little bit. Normally I can get 180ml when I first express in the morning at work- this morning was only about 130mL. I am under a bit of stress right now, so it looks like I will need to chill out a bit more.
I am so glad I found this thread- thanks to all who have posted here. After a comment recently I was starting to wonder if it's all worth it, but now I know I am not alone in this. And as of today, I have beaten my record! DD#1 was weaned 2 days before her first birthday. DD#2 has her birthday in 2 days and we are still going strong! Every day after this is a new personal best!!!

#65 papilio

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

FWIW, when I was expressing at work I was getting 2 lots of 250ml out, but that was only because I was taking Maxolon.  I honestly don't know how I would have gone without it because I wasn't prepared to risk losing my supply.  I did my research and went to my doctor before going back to work to get a script for it.  She was a big fan of breastfeeding, so more than happy to prescribe it for me.

#66 lady*of*thelake

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

I take one Motilium tablet a day now, Candida! I went onto Motilium when Romilly was 4.5 months, as my supply dipped dramatically. Had to take 6 tabs a day for a few weeks to bring it back up, and have gradually been weaning myself off it ever since. But I kinda need it to keep the supply there. I'm only going to take it for a couple of months more though, and then just let nature take it's course with feeding after that I think!

#67 jactela

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

Tell me more about the Maxalon and motilium! Doesnt it make you drowsy at work?

I just finished my pumping session and for the first time got 80mls, thats from both sides though. The most i have managed to express before that was 20mls but i had only been pumping at night.

#68 papilio

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

I took Maxolon for the 4-5 months that I expressed at work, plus a bit before that when W was in hospital for her op at 7 weeks.  It's not until I stopped taking it that I realised how drowsy it made me.  I recently tried it again for hyperemesis and it made me too drowsy for work, so gave it up as a bad joke.

The motilum/domperidone doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier, so didn't make me drowsy when I was taking it for hyperemesis.  I've not used it as a galactagogue (love that word, lol!) though, but I understand that it is preferred.

#69 lady*of*thelake

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

Motilium for supply is excellent I've found!!! Your local MCHN and the ECC should have a copy of a protocol for the number of tablets you take and when. I went a bit further than the Aus protocol and used the UK one, and it brought my milk back with a boom in about two days!

It has no discernible effect on me whatsoever, except to make more milk. As Candida says, it doesn't cross over into the brain so it doesn't affect your thinking.

At work for a 20-30 minute session my 'output' (love the public service words  ) has varied from 80 ml to 130 ml & at home at my 10pm session one night it was 125 the next it was 50. Anyone know why? I keep thinking my supply is dropping  then the next time I pump it's back to 'normal'. Weird.

Sleepydwarf, I get wildly varying amounts too. Yesterday it was something like 130mls and 120mls from two work pumping sessions, today it was 200mls and 80mls. What the???

I too completely freak out about my supply dropping, then the next time I pump, I get a huge let down and lots of milk. There does not seem to be any logic, rhyme or reason to the amounts.

Does anyone know what you should do if your baby just STOPS altogether drinking milk during the day and won't take any formula either? I'm probably freaking over nothing, but Romilly has just pulled the same trick Cinnabubble's bub has!!! Refused all milk in a bottle today.

I can't find anything in Babylove about what to do if this keeps going - any suggestions?

Edited by lady*of*thelake, 10 May 2007 - 09:11 PM.

#70 papilio

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

Belle, could you try offering it to her in something other than a bottle?  I read someone here on EB using the lids of Avent bottles as an open cup to feed EBM to their child.

#71 pinotgrigio

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

I read someone here on EB using the lids of Avent bottles as an open cup to feed EBM to their child.

I tried that a few times  just for fun! He did start to look like he was drinking, but lots of spillage to start with & other times he was lapping it like a dog biggrin.gif  But definitely worth a try. I'm going to keep trying it every now & then.

#72 cinnabubble

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:44 AM

Belle: I feel your pain. She's still refusing all modes of liquid delivery except the breast. We're sneaking EBM into her using watery Farex and baby porridge -- will try adult oats next week, as someone who is seven months old shouldn't be having texture-free foods all the time.

On the positive side, I was afraid she'd start refusing the breast if she had the bottle too often, so at least I'm still able to breastfeed her all the time that I'm not at work.

It's Friday!!!! I'm about to go into work early to make up for all of the late mornings I've been having due to baby's nightmarish sleep patterns this week, but at least there's no work tomorrow.

Have a great day, fellow pumpers.

#73 whitto04

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:18 AM

Woohoo me! I weaned DD#1 2 days before her first birthday. As it's DD#2's birthday today, every day she feeds is a bonus to both of us!
With DD#1 I went back to work when she was 6 months old, so pumped for 6 months. I went back this time when DD#2 was 7 months old so still have a month to go to beat that.
Proud Mummy here! Emily was her usual happy self this morning (no idea it's her special day). But I feel so proud of myself for BF for a full year this time around. DH gets a pat on the back too- he had had to do night feeds when I am on night shift and he has done a great job.
Have a great day everyone!

#74 pinotgrigio

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:21 AM

Yay whitto04  cclap.gif  good on you  biggrin.gif Very inspiring stuff!

cinnabubble
I was afraid she'd start refusing the breast if she had the bottle too often
that was my biggest worry too, apart from losing my supply. I didnt think that bottle refusal would be something to worry about, since DS has had bottles of EBM pretty much from birth, but it sounds ilke its happening to a few people. So far not us, but I'm not taking anything for granted  tongue.gif  Maybe its a protest at their boobies going away for the day ?

OK better go & do some work. happy pumping everyone  cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.