How did your labour start?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PeaPod8

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hi Everyone

Just hoping for some stories about how your labour started. Im 40wks +2 with my first and am getting quite strong braxton hicks (not regular).

What sort of "signs" did you experience before you knew you were in labour?

#2 *maddierose*

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

dd1; had bh for a few weeks quiet dull, At 40+4 i began getting regular contractions about 9am she was born at 6;52pm. Waters were broken during labour.

dd2; bh again for few weeks, was induced at 40+4 due to iugr. contractions first then they broke waters.

ds1; dull bh from 24 weeks, bh's strengthened over the weeks and actually became quiet uncomfortable towards the end, on the day i went into labour 39+5 weeks they turned into contractions beginning at 20 mins apart i was still thinking it was just bh as it was only a touch more painful then the previous ones, waters broke when i was driving, and contractions were about 7 mins apart this was 2;15pm bubs was born at 6;32pm.

Edited by belnryan, 27 April 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#3 Ginja Ninja

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

Hi,
I had a show on the Thursday, more on the Saturday and then general discomfort on the Monday.
I was at the airport seeing DP's parents off to America for a holiday and found I had a lot of hip pain.  I wasn't comfortable sitting, or standing.  It felt like someone was pushing down on my hips really hard.  That progressed into irregular contractions just after we put them on the plane, to regular contractions on the way home and DS at 8:30 that night!
HTH, Good Luck with your birth
Leesha
PS DS was posterior so all my pain was in my back and waters were broken during labour.

Edited by Leesha, 27 April 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#4 boo boos mumma

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:32 PM

Hi,

I had a posterior labour also, bub turned at last min.

2 days prior to my due date i woke on Sat with contractions, irregular (common for posterior bubs). This was at 5am. By 9am they stopped.

On the sat night they began gradual irregular by midnight was very painful but irregular. All night contractions then on Sunday at 11am after being sent home from hosp as only being 3cm dilated the contractions stopped. At 5pm began irregular. 8pm lost my mucus plug & had a show.

Went into hosp 12am on the Monday...4cm dilated, found out about posterior. Went home & went in & was admitted at 9am & found out about high blood pressure. Contractions all day very  painful. I also got the pain in my hips like a blow torch I would describe it, this occured after waters broken. They broke my waters late arvo & then things got faster, dilated to 6cm....but doc was nearly going to give c-sec but i event dilated enough & then my little girl was born on tuesday at 3:28am....3 days after my first contractions.

Remember that my bub was posterior thats why such a long labour, not usual to be that long even for your first. I wish u all the best & will be looking forward to hearing your wonderful news.

Edited by amaratae, 27 April 2007 - 10:34 PM.

#5 chlokel

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

No BH at all! Felt absolutely wrecked from the Sunday,
  backache sent from hell! On the Thursday slept for 3hrs
  exhaustion and backpain worse. Went to bed at 10.45pm,
  11pm suddenly started bleeding, water broke and 4hrs
  later DD here 3.5wks early!! Dont know what they teach
  in antenatal classes, dont know if these are typical
  signs or not!!

#6 Tanya82

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

with my first pregnancy, my waters broke spontaneously at home, and contractions started at 2 mins apart about 2.5 hours later. In this time I had been to the hospital, confirmed my membranes had ruptured, had some checks and monitoring before returning home to rest.

There was no lead up, no BH, nothing.

This pregnancy has been completely different. I have had BH from approx 34 weeks at different stages.
For the past 3 weeks I have had 2-3 day spurts of cramping that has started in my lower abdomen and hit my lower back, only to stop suddenly. They have never been intense or regular.
I had a stretch and sweep last monday at 41 weeks (was already 2cm dilated-stretch to 3cm), and another yesterday. Since monday I have had the slightest period like cramping on and off. As of yesterday I was 4-5cm dilated, but am not in labour as yet.
If I don't have this baby over the weekend my waters will be broken monday morning at 42 weeks.

Edited by tanya82, 27 April 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#7 mara31

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

Wednesday- went to  OB appointment and had a sweep- was two cm dialated. Was told I would be induced on the Friday if no progress
Thursday- vomited in the morning, and late afternoon, but totally fine otherwise. Went to bed at 9.00pm to get some rest as had to be at hospital by 7.00am. Couldnt get comfortable, got up for a pee at 10.30 and had first contraction. They were incredibly intense and 5 mins apart from the get go. Got to hospital at midnight, midwife found I was fully dilated- push!  Bub born 2hrs 20 mins later in Fri am

#8 crimson

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

While I didn't go into labour myself (being a guy), I can describe how my wife tells it.

She had BH for about 4 weeks before she was due. Some heavy some small.

The due date came and went. More BH but no baby.

2 weeks later we went to the Hospital to have the labour induced. Opps, no room at the inn. There were too many women all going inn to labour at the same time and there was literally no room for us. So we were asked to come in the next morning.

Later that night. The BH took a turn and my wife said the regularity and the increase in pain were the signs for her. No longer BH, for full blown labour. So I had the stop watch and a sheet of A4 paper writing down all the contractions. My wife told me later that simply seeing the times on the sheet begin to find a rhythm helped her to calm her that everything was working the way it should.

I was told by the midwives that I would be able to tell when it was time to take my wife into the hospital and I certainly did. The timing of course became regular and shorter together. The tone in her groans became deeper. That change in my wife was my give away that she was ready to go in and apparently I was right. Midwives told me later that those signs are things that they also watch and listen for to know when it's time to get prepared.

Obviously everyone is different. But I thought I'd share my experience anyway.

#9 ilovebabies

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

I had 3 nights of pre-labour which were mild contractions about 10 minutes apart. Some were quite painful and I didnt sleep much for those 3 nights. Each night the contractions would tone down by morning and I'd have none during the day. I had a couple of shows and on the 3rd night I had a really big, bloody mucousy show (sorry TMI!). On the 3rd night the contractions kept going and by 8am that morning I knew it was the 'real thing' as the contractions got closer together and more painful.
My mw told me that its pretty normal for a 1st time labour to have a few days to a week of pre-labour bh contractions. Good luck, sounds like you'll be birthing soon original.gif

#10 heidispidi

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

I had what I called 'pressures' from the time I woke up on the Monday AM (39 weeks).  This continued all day, but I continued doing stuff around the house, and was fine.  I started timing the pressures around 7:30pm, discovered they were regular and therefore contractions.  Had a small bloody show around 10pm, left for hospital at 3am, was 7cm when I arrived, contractions intensified quickly and after having my waters broken, I gave birth at 6:31am.  

All I can say is that the contractions do not need to be painful to be contractions, so be aware!

#11 photomum

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

I've had two babies and with both i had strong braxton hick months before leading up to my due date.  With my first my water broke and then i got period like pains that kept getting stronger.  With my second I just got the period like pains but they started much earlier.  good luck and let us know how the birth goes sick.gif

#12 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

My labour started as soon as my waters broke.. At 1am my waters broke and by 1.10am I had had 4 contractions - very strong and very painful ones too.. I had DS at 5.21am.

I think my pre-labour started a week or so before with just slight back pain... then on the night before DS was born, I had really bad back pain that kept me awake - and I also had a funny feeling that something wasnt right and I said to DH that baby was coming in the next 24 hours...

Everyone is different and there is no real way of knowing how you will start labour. My midwife reckons I could have been in pre-labour for quite sometime without me knowing it.

#13 Mokar

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

I was freaking out that I wouldnt know because I had BH from about 4months in... and thought I would just think I was having them again.

However... my waters broke at 3am in the morning... whilst in bed... it was like a waterfall down there. My belly halved in size and wated kept comming out for hours!! First gushing and then just dribbles, but yeah- definatly wasnt hard to know I was in labour.

(The midwives didnt seem to think I was in labour- even 12hrs later when I arrove at the hospital. rant.gif )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.