Is it mean for a dog to sleep outside?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Mummy fab

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted your opinions on if you think it is ok or not for your dog to sleep outside?

We have a 5month old boxer who was sleeping inside, however i am soooooo sick of cleaning up all her wee in the morning that DF has decided that she can sleep outside.

Now she has a big kennel with plenty of pillow, quilts, padding etc in there so i know that she is warm but im just used to the dogs i have owned (well they were mum and dads) staying inside.

She does come in sometimes during the day.

So what do you think?  Is it ok for a dog to sleep outside?

Vanessa

#2 MummyTard

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Both my dogs live outside... They prefer it!!! Now the cat is another story!

#3 Quirk

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

Me, personally, couldn't let a dog sleep outside. Especially after five months inside  sad.gif
Is there a reason why she is still weeing inside? If that is the only reason, maybe try to solve that problem first instead? Especially with winter only 3 weeks away.  sad.gif

#4 Groovy Granny

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:05 PM

Of course it is ok for them to sleep outside that's where wild dogs sleep.

I would say 99.9% of farm dogs sleep outside, we used to have an old tank cut in half on it's side with maybe a couple of old hessian bags thrown down and the dogs slept in there and all grew to ripe old ages.

Our Maltese x sh*tzu sleeps outside,  has a nice kennel on the verandah but prefers to sleep on his beanbag on the verandah.

I personally could not stand having a big dog sleeping inside, wouldn't even want them inside in the daytime.

#5 Claire1982

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

no way id leave my dogs out in the cold... no... never. mine sleep inside with jackets on. well if u think its okay saving about wild dogs u sleep in a cave then (like a caveman). Dogs are demesticated Pets not wild dogs. Did u know Dingos have tripple coats....

maybe buy a dog crate to help teach them to hold onto it. we have 8 wks old puppys trained before they go to their new homes.

Also you have to understand some breed with dubble or tripple coats can deal with this cold weather. B/Collie even Kelpies (farm dogs) have dubble coats. Boxers dont. Even my dog whom has a Dubble coat gets cold.

dogs are mans best friend.. i know i wouldnt ask my best friend (human)to sleep outside when she comes over.

Claire

#6 3cuties4us

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

Each to their own I say  wink.gif

Our dogs sleep inside (labs) and they are brilliant... go to sleep when we do, and don't make a peep until morning.  They hold all night, and go when we let them out in the morning.

If I put them outside they would bark their heads off (and get into all sorts of mischief) wacko.gif  

And I wouldn't sleep worrying myself sick that one of them would eat a cane toad or get bitten by a snake (Nth Qld) and by morning when I went out it would be too late cry1.gif (heard this a lot in this neck of the woods)

I guess I'm a softy, but I love them sleeping inside... and I feel very safe original.gif

All the best with your decision.
Kx

#7 seepi

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

It depends where you live - I wouldn't do it in Canberra with our frosty nights. There has also been research that shows dogs have a reduced lifespan if left out in the cold.

If you do put the dog out you need to make sure the kennel is up off the ground to prevent cold seeping up, and make sure it is warm.

I'd hate cleaning up too - so good luck with it, I hoiep it works out well.

#8 clueless33

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

My dogs have been sleeping outside since we both had them. Though this year, they will be sleeping inside during winter since we just moved from the tropics down to Victoria.

I guess it's up to you how you feel about it.

#9 Cc'smum

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

I couldn't let my D Dogs sleep outside.  They both have baskets with old quilts/blankets/towels in our bedroom.

Amanda

DS 17/03/99
DD 08/03/01

#10 MellissaD

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

We have a Siberian Husky and she sleeps outside for most of the year. That said, she does grow a very thick winter coat, and being an Arctic breed she handles the cold very well (not to mention it doesn't get THAT cold up here in Toowoomba, Qld).

She has a warm, dry kennel with flannelette sheets and towels in it, but 99% of the time prefers to sleep in her hammock bed under our bedroom window!

Sometimes when it's really cold I bring her inside to our garage to sleep - we have carpet in there and bedding for her as well. She also sleeps in there when it rains because she is SUCH a sook when it's wet and/or stormy.

Can't stand sleeping in the same room as her though - she snores, wiggles and snorts all night long  laughing2.gif

Mellissa

#11 Guest_toobusy_*

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Vanessa, I had to laugh when I read your post as we have a 9 year old boxer b**ch (yes, in southern victoria people - gets cold here) who wouldn't stop weeing inside.  We made her an outside dog when she was about 6 months of age and she has never looked back.  She loves it, her kennel is very cosy in winter as we put a hessian sack over the door and it is situated up against the house on the verandah.  I know it's warm in there, and when she gets up for her early morning winter toilet she is warm and cuddly to touch.  She even sleeps in her kennel all summer long too, as it is then shaded by the verandah.

When we have had big storms I have put her in the laundry with the cats.  She is always amping to get out again.

I guess what I am saying is - if the shelter is adequate for warmth etc there is no reason why a dog shouldn't live outside.  My 3 legged cat is another question, no way blush.gif .

Cheers, Regi

Edited by toobusy, 07 May 2007 - 08:42 PM.

#12 I*luv*ma*gurlz

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

When my older dog starts to like the pup, he will be outside. My dogs have always slept outside but they are warm and comfy

#13 Chazee

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:00 PM

I think it depends on how cold it is, or even how hot it is!

My dog sleeps inside every single night. Has done so since he was born. Wouldn't dream of putting him outside.

For one, he gets lonely and bored. And two, like Claire said, he's domesticated! So our house is his. biggrin.gif

I think if a kennel can be made snug, warm and completely free of drafts, then your dog can cuddle up in that.

I find most kennels are stupid, in that the doors offer no protection from the wind. The best type of kennel would have a proper dog door on it, that seals shut when it closes. That, and insulated walls. biggrin.gif

#14 anna-wa

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

Our 12yo kelpie X was more an indoor dog when she was little.  She did learn to sleep outside though and still does.

Now our new pup Matilda has been more of an inside dog also .. but we take her out at intervals for wees.  She also spends hours outside stuffing around, playing, pulling palm stuff apart and just being a goose.  
She will eventually be an outside dog when she is a little bigger so that she doesn't squeeze through our fence.  
During the night we take her out for a wee, be it the early hours and she's even been known to lick our faces (when she sleeps on our bed).  Her bladder control has improved and she doesn't wee inside as much during the day when we are out.  Having tiles makes cleanup a whole lot easier.

When Matilda is out and she wants to come in, she will go to either door, ie the front door or verandah and woofs .. i mean yelps cos she has such a whining girly voice.  If she gets no response, she will toddle on to the other door to see if it works there lol.

I find it no problem for a dog to sleep outside as long as its warm with a nice kennel/bed and your yard is secure.  
They get used to routine eventually.

Kara has always been a family dog so has spent here years coming in and out of the house but as we have stairs and tiles at this house, it's more difficult and worse for her arthritic legs.

#15 Kafkaesque

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:10 AM

My dog kept weeing everywhere but I couldn't bring myself to put him out so I ended up putting him in the playpen for the night in the laundry.  He never had any accidents in there (I assume as he didn't want to sleep near it). I kept him in there every night for about a week and since then no problems.

I personally find it a bit mean putting them out if they are predominately indoor dogs. If always an outdoor dog then it's a different matter.

#16 ~jenny77~

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

We have 2 dogs and they both sleep outside. They've got a nice big kennel, with plenty of blankets in it. And they cuddle up together to keep warm. I hate having dogs inside. People we know have their dogs inside pretty much 24/7, and when you go there, it just smells like dog everywhere. I can't stand it lol.

#17 whydoibother

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

well our lab x golden retriever unfortunately has to sleep outside as we rent here.  in melb though in our house she slept in the back area near the laundry on her trampoline bed.  the trampoline bed is outside on the patio here. no blankies as she ripped them up! She has a kennel but never wanted to sleep in it will sometimes sleep under a bush in her hidey hole.
I am going to buy here a dog coat today as we are in the desert and gets down to zero here in winter.  She has a double coat though which helps.  I think it is what the dogs are used to. I used to let her sleep in the kitchen when she was a puppy but yeah the pee and poo is a prblem up until they are 5-6 months old as they can't hold on at that age.
I say get a nice kennel that is insulated and put plenty of nice padding in there and put the kennel on bricks so it's off the ground.

Only bad thing with a lab being outside at night is on the weekends she goes on barking rampages at the drunks walking past on the side street!
If it was freezing cold I'd sneak her into the laundry.  If we owned this house, I'd have her in the laundry at night probably.

#18 Nut

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

Personally I don't like the idea of shutting dogs outside... I've grown up with indoor dogs.

But I have bigger issues with smaller dogs being shut outside (I have a pug and a chihuahua... both are not really designed for outdoors, especially the chihuahua).

I have a doggy door and my 2 come in and out as they please and this works beautifully... perhaps if you're not keen on keeping your Boxer outside you might consider this an option?

Either that or use baby gates to keep the dog enclosed in an area where pee is not a problem (Laundry?).

It's your choice in the end. I can certainly accept bigger dogs being outside more readily than small dogs... But personally I just can't do it.

#19 Amysha

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

I have always trained my dogs to be indoor/outdoor sleepers. Makes it very easy if you want to go away for a night and leave them home, or on a very hot night they are better outside, or just in mild weather in general they can sleep out and in colder weather when the rain is pelting and a typical cold rainy Winter in Melbourne I like my dogs inside nice and warm and dry. Makes me sleep better  biggrin.gif Now that we are getting cold nights, my dog is sleeping inside most nights compared to say Summer where she was out a lot.

Really if people want to have outdoor sleeping dogs I dont see a problem. So long as your dog is getting adequate/more than adequate human interaction at other times, not just 10 min a day then it's okay. If I have been busy and out a few days in a row and not seen the dog much, then I like her to be inside of an evening when we are watching tv and sleep inside too.

I try to find a good balance and vary everything and chop and change. I think it also depends on the breed of dog. Some dogs just cannot cope with outdoors and if I had a dog that sat in the rain then I wouldn't leave it outside, I dont like that. But if your dog snuggles up in the kennel and has more cover than just a kennel then I think it's okay. I have always thought kennels need to be under verandah's, not just out on the lawn where the rain can pelt in and their bedding gets wet very easily.

With regard to a dog that pees inside overnight, how are you containing the dog? Does it have run of house? If so, therein is your problem. Dogs are den animals. It has not associated your house as being it's den. That should come now as the dog matures with age but I would be inclined to confine the dog to a smaller space (laundry or crate train) overnight. A dog will very rarely mess in it's 'den'. With time your house will become the den, just a larger version. If you are letting a 5mo have run of house and expecting it to not mess then I think you are expecting too much too soon.

Edited by Amysha, 08 May 2007 - 07:47 PM.

#20 Mummy fab

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses.

I guess i am happy with accepting the fact that she can be inside and outside dog.  If she sleeps inside at night then she does sleep in the laundry and thats where she keeps weeing! But i suppose its easy to clean up in the morning.
Also if its really cold or raining then she is inside.

But i have been watching her and she does seem to also love it outside.

I will just have to play it by ear over the next couple of weeks and see how we go.

Thanks again for the replies.

Vanessa

#21 anna-wa

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

I think it will work out ... what I try to do with Matilda is feed her prior to 6pm and then 30mins after take her out or if I see her sniffing around.

Mind you she doesn't always do a poo then, but waits for hours .. like this morning it was 2:21am when I got licked to pieces so I took her out and she did one then.

Matilda is inside after we've had dinner and I put her out after every sleep.   During the day she is outside at intervals.  Like now she's just had a bone and spent an hour outside and now she's at the door woofing to come in lol.

#22 1dragonett

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

both my little dog have been trained to "toliet" on command. Now that my little man is getting to elderly status, we are finding more "issues" as we call them, but my dogs have all been inside animals, and command poopers!!   laugh.gif

when we go to bed, furry kids are turfed outside, told the command word, and within 2 minutes, job done, back inside and treats given, and they hold until morning.

It takes a little while to train (take my advice - DON"T start in winter!!!!  brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr   laughing2.gif ) but most dogs i have had, never had a problem learning this!

I personally don't believe in having "outside" dogs, and thats all I will say on the matter!!   grin.gif

Edited by 1dragonett, 13 May 2007 - 10:04 PM.

#23 ~Julia~Gulia~

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

Dogs wont like to sleep where they pee. Maybe try and incorporate some of the ideas here. I'd go with a doggie door and a kiddie gate that closed off part of the laundry so the dog can come inside if it wants too but only to a small confined area so that she will be more inclined to go outside to pee rather than sleep in it wink.gif

My mum has a new puppy who is now about 18-20weeks old and we went to her place today and both her back verandah and her lounge room stink of urine - i HATE the dog or urine smell in a house. It was really awful but she babies the dog and wont put him outside on the grass in case he gets cold. You know what, he'll cope wink.gif and kennels these days are build so well and warm, if outside is where they need to be they'll be fine.

Goodluck - I hope you find a solution to suit you all.

#24 Sony1983

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:03 AM

I'm a big softy and my dog sleeps on the floor next to my bed. She is a sneaky little so and so and sometimes sneaks onto the bed for a cuddle in the morning but i dont mind.

She is a bearded collie and has a coat that could keep her warm in the scottish highlands but even so i love her to bits and like having her in the room. Plus she woofs if there is someone walking past the house so she makes me feel safe when DP is working away and i like having her close to me.

I personally wouldn't have her sleeping outside but each to their own  biggrin.gif

#25 Sony1983

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:07 AM

Oops i posted the same comment three times hehe

Edited by Sony1983, 14 May 2007 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.