Hornsby hosptial?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Sweeneymommy

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:44 AM

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has gone through Hornsby hospital. I am planning to go through the birth centre, but any info at all about the hopsital or centre would be accepted in case of transfer.

#2 Ranger

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

I had my DD at Hornsby in the old maternity unit. I am having this bub there too in a months time in the new maternity unit.

I don't know what you've heard but they don't actually have a birth centre. The do have a variety of methods of care which is possibly what you're thinking of.

There is the Team Midwives where there is a team of 8 midwives you see for all your antenatal care. You see the OB at 16wks and again towards the end (could be 40wks? can't remember). The theory is that by the time you are in labour you will have met the midwife who will be there to deliver your baby. The OB's will pop in on you in labour too.

There is Midwife Clinic where you see whichever midwife is working that day for your antenatal care and then have whoever is working when you deliver. So you necessarily have met them prior to being in labour. I am pretty sure they have the same scheduled OB appts as the Team. The OB's will pop in on you in labour too.

There is the OB clinic where you see the head OB's and registrar OB's (whoever is working I think) throughout your antenatal care. I think they suggest this for higher risk pregnancies.

I went through the Team Midwives for my DD and absolutely LOVED it. I knew the midwives there during my labour and then delivering my baby and felt comfortable with them.

For this pg, I started in the Team Midwives and got transferred to the OB clinic as I was higher risk for a while but at 33wks I was able to go back to the Team. I am SO happy about that. Having already met 6 of the 8 Team Midwives from being pg with my DD I am comfortable with them even though I havent been able to see them for all my visits.

The staff were fantastic when I had my DD and I know a lot of people who rave about them as well.

I haven't actually had a tour through the new maternity ward and delivery suites (I must get onto that LOL). So I can't fill you in on what they have to offer other than all the rooms are private rooms with their own ensuite and baby bathing facility (I have visited friends there).  

I hope this has answered some of your questions. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

#3 ~Lynny~

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

I had my DS there in 2005.  The Team Midwives Program is great - I got to meet most of the midwives and was lucky enough to have my favorite one there with me at the birth.

I had an emergency c/s at 35 weeks - DP had to dash back home to sort the stepkids out before returning to the hospital.  My midwife stayed with me all the time (i was really scared of having bub before DP's return) and she rang DP every 10 minutes to see how he was travelling.

The room I stayed in was a bit run down but thankfully everythings brand new now.

the only thing I did find frustrating was that when DS was in the nursery to be tube fed etc. I'd go in there to try and breastfeed him (which didnt work for the first two weeks) but every time i went in there Id see a different nurse and she'd give me completely different advise as the one before her.  The night nurses were also a bit moody but i guess thats what you get when you deal with people who work the graveyard shift!

Apart from that I really really liked it there and will be having this bub there as well.

Oh and they dont want to see you till youre 14 weeks now so if you want to have the nuchal scan done etc you have to see your OB or GP about organising it.  Theres a place opposite the hospital that does the nuchal scan (Northside something or other) and Pathology just over the road.

#4 Sweeneymommy

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

When I called them I had the impression that they had a birth centre from what they were talking to me about...sad.gif

I'm not going anywhere without a birth centre, that's for certain. Do they offer water births still?

#5 Ranger

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

They do offer water births if the midwife attending is trained in it.

Last I knew there were 3 Team Midwives trained in it so your chances are good there.

I don't know about the Midwife Clinic or OB clinic though.

Does it matter if it's not a birth centre as such? They don't have the double beds etc but they do have baths and other things to assist your labour there.

#6 sallymc

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

being a public patient you don't have a choice where you go- the ob will leave you alone (if that is what you want) unless there is a problem- then I'm sure you will be glad of their care- goodluck

#7 Sweeneymommy

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

I actually do have a choice of whatever public hospital I want, there is no rule saying you have to go to the closest one. it's generally easier for purposes of a emergency with the pregnancy though.

I rang up RPA birth centre even though I didn't really want to go back there, and booked in. I live in Dural so RPA is nowhere near my area. I had my first DD there. No rules about where you can go.

I'll still do a tour of Hornsby, but I'm pretty sure it won't suit me. I was under the impression that there was a birth centre there and I certainly don't want to labour in a place that doesn't understand the philosophy of a holistic birth.

Doing soem online research, I have heard some bad things about Hornsby but that might have been before the big changes happened.

What were the rooms like for post-natal? Single/double/triple? I started of in a twin room at RPA but after I caused a scene and signed myself out I was allocated a single room so DH could stay. I was pretty sick with the pre-eclampsia though, and would have been given one sooner if the right staff were there.

#8 ~Lynny~

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

I am actually thinking of doing a tour of the hospital a week from thursday - i can let you know what the rooms are like if you want - i can also ask about water births etc because im interested in one myself.  Have you spoken to one of the midwives at the antenatal clinic yet?  they might be able to help you out

Hornsby is really good and the staff are very nice/supportive so dont scratch it off your list just yet - Im sure every single hospital out there has got its horror stories, not just them.

Make sure you write up a birth plan that covers all possible situations and give the midwives a copy as soon as you see them.

The last time I was there one of the midwives actually told me that during labour/birth they try and keep the doctors and OB's out of the room as much as possible so you can have privacy and be relaxed - i dont think they wouldve changed their policy since the new wards' opening.

#9 Sweeneymommy

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

If you are doing a tour, I would love to be able to come with my DH and I if you have any further details on it.

#10 hunter4

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

Hi I'm looking at going to Hornsby Hospital as well.  I too was looking for a Birth Center and from what I can tell the midwife clinic at Hornsby as close as you get in this area.  I too have a tour of the hospital booked - - Next Thursday if I remember correctly.  I believe that anyone can book to do these tours.  I think they do them every Thursday, you can call the antenatal clinic and ask them.

Just went looking for the phone number and found this on their website.

You can ring and book an appointment to see a midwife to discuss your care options. To book in, make an antenatal clinic appointment or just have a discussion with a midwife call 9477 9254 or 9477 9986.

You may wan to give them a call and ask some questions and book a tour.

Jenny

Edited by hunter4, 29 May 2007 - 09:35 AM.

#11 ~Lynny~

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:45 AM

Just booked myself in for the tour - the next one is on the 7th of June at 6pm - you HAVE to ring up and put yr name down.
Like Jenny has said, give them a call on 94779254 this is their direct line.

I wont take DP with me at this stage because someone needs to keep an eye on DS - he is too much of a handful to take with me  wacko.gif

See you there Jenny  tongue.gif

#12 Sweeneymommy

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Will call up tomorrow to ask about the tour.

#13 rhubarbandcustard

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

I did the tour last week.  I have decided to go with Hornsby because my closest hospital is Ryde - but they don't have any facilities for epidurals.  If you need an epidural they transfer you to RNS!

The woman on the phone at RNS was really rude, told me I'd have to go to Ryde - that I didn't have a choice!  I rang Hornsby, and the woman I spoke to was lovely.  I am not booking in until the 14th of June (due 23 Nov), but am seeing the social worker next week - apparently they have a very good early intervention program for PND (I am going because I have had depression in the past, better safe than sorry!).

The tour was great, very reassuring.  All my questions were answered to my satisfaction, but the only thing that worried me is that the policy is to check you out 24hrs after giving birth.  They will let you stay up to 48 hours, or longer if you have a caesar.

If Hornsby doesn't have a "Birth Centre", then I don't know what the difference is between a birth centre and what they have at Hornsby.  If you don't want a medicalised birth, then I think Hornsby is a good choice (in case you need it in the end), but Ryde might be a good choice for you too - I have only heard good things about Ryde.

I'm a little miffed that the baths can't be used yet - as far as I am concerned, this was one of the major drawcards for me!

All up, I think Hornsby has the best mix of comfort and care.  And they welcome a doula, which is a big relief - that means that I will have continuity of care, no matter how many shift changes happen while I am there original.gif

#14 Sweeneymommy

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:05 AM

I'm booked in for a tour, but I'd have to REALLY like what I saw to change my mind.

A birth centre is a 'homely' environment with an emphasis on no or low intervention. No OBS come near you for the birth unless you get transferred. They prefer no drugs be used, but most places have gas available. They have huge bathrooms snd double beds. RPA is like that, but I am worried about not getting a private room upstairs.

Are partners allowed to sat overnight at Hornsby?

I considered Ryde, but I don't think they have a true holistic theory towards birth, they just don't offer epidurals. One of my friends birthed there and they kept trying to get her to take pethidine when she was aiming for drug free and didnt constantly want to be reminded that there were drugs on offer.

#15 rhubarbandcustard

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

I got the impression that Ryde was pretty holistic - maybe your friend was unlucky with the midwife she got?  Maybe they were offering the peth because they couldn't offer anything else?

Hornsby has a couch/bed for a partner, it's not as homelike as the birth centre at Royal Womens I saw (years ago) there is a little more hospital equipment - like gas in every room, etc.  The bed is a hospital bed - single only.

The bathroom is almost as big as the room, and it's a private bathroom, I loved that original.gif

I got the impression that you don't see the Obs unless there is a problem.  And I am thinking that I'll hardly see the midwives until they are needed - because I have a doula who can do a lot of the early checks and be an interface between me and all the medical stuff.

I was with a friend (over a decade ago) when she gave birth for the first time, and I found it really jarring that the midwives changed shifts three times during the birth.

I am not pro or anti drugs - I'll have an epidural if I need it, but not unless I need I need it.  I suppose I don't want to feel judged if I do need help, but I don't want anything forced on me unless it's really needed.  I'm hoping that having a doula with me will mean I have an educated and strong advocate for my wishes - no matter the "style" of the midwives that are present.

The other thing that I liked about Hornsby is that the recovery rooms are all private (with private bathroom) unless you need extra observation.  They do allow spouses to stay original.gif

Hope that helps you make the best decision for you - I had a terrible time deciding, but now that I have decided I don't want to change anything, lol!

#16 Sweeneymommy

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

I was under the impression that to do checkups and help deliver the baby you had to be an indepenent midwife...I'd check her qualification. I had a doula last time and another this time, and none of them allowed to physically examine you because they don't have a degree. Independent Midwives are allowed.

#17 Sweeneymommy

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

Partners can't stay postnatally even though all the rooms are private rooms? Crazy. blink.gif

#18 rhubarbandcustard

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

I asked about partners staying - they said it's allowed, but they don't have proper beds.  They have couches, etc.

As for the doula - she doesn't do anything medical, but because she is there, there is less need for a midwife to be there between checks.

I looked into getting an independant midwife, but most independant midwives won't attend a hospital birth (as far as I could tell).

#19 Sweeneymommy

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

I looked into getting a independent midwife, but decided we just couldn't afford it this time with paying for a doula as well, next time. She said that she would attend home and birth centre births, and if there was a transfer to a hospital before the birth because of complications she would got here as well but would be limited in what she could actually do beyond supporting you- hopsital people don't respect the sacredness of a home birth, and generally despise independent midwives for putting women's lives in danger.

There is so much conflicting information coming out of this thread  unsure.gif It's hard for me to choose, because I feel safe at RPA and I love the birth centre, but if I need a transfer I'd rather be at Hornsby so I don't have to deal with the RPA hospital staff and the um, lovely women cry1.gif in the post-natal ward.

I'll be at the info night, hoping I will have the chance to ask some questions, I am curious about my own specific pre-eclamptic case and whether they consider me to be low-risk, I need to ask their stitching policy as I won't accept stitches for first degree tears, and I want to make sure they have a really good early-discharge programme, because no way no how do I want to spend more than about one day in hospital.

#20 rhubarbandcustard

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you original.gif

Hornsby TOTALLY has an early discharge program!  Their policy is to get you out within 24 hours of giving birth, though you can stay for 48 if you want (unless there are complications, c-section, etc.)

Frankly, though I hate hospitals, 24 hours seems a little short - unless you're checking in to a 5 star hotel (as I heard that Elle McPherson did!).

My best friend is due 4 days before me, and she is going to RPA, so in late November we'll be able to compare notes original.gif

#21 Ranger

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

RNSH has a birth centre as well. Would be closer than RPA if that is really what you have your heart set on.

#22 Sweeneymommy

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

I actually thought about RWH and RNS but decided if I was going out of area RPA would be the handiest because I've been there before and at the moment I am doing Research at USYD so no problem to get to antenatal checks as I am in the area anyways. If RPA decides that I am too high risk for another birth centre birth I will be coming to Hornsby.

#23 Sweeneymommy

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

Did anybody else find that info night a complete waste of time? It should have definately been combined with a tour of the labour ward and postnatal. It was very disjointed, and I couldn't believe how slow the midwives were to respond to more complex questions. My DH wasn't too impressed either.

#24 crazyandlovingit

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:10 AM

I had my last ( cry1.gif ) child at hornsy in 2004. They were great. I had to attend the doctor's clinic as i was high risk, and I was induced. I went on early discharge, and the midwife came and visited me at home (20 mins from hosp) each day for three days, at which point DD had to be readmitted to special care (when special care nursery was in where the birthing rooms are!!). I got a room and stayed whilst she was there at no charge to myself for room or meals, even though I had already been discharged. Luckily she only had to stay for 2 more nights, but it was a difficult time and the hospital staff were very supportive. On the second night after I had her, she would not sleep. Nothing worked. I tried feeding, rocking, I even tried to put my shirt in with her so she could smell me. The midwife came in and took one look at my shirt in the crib and picked her up and took her with her so I could get some sleep. There was no nursery, they encourage rooming in.

Anyway, I found them to be great, even if I did have her at the time they were doing the renovations!

#25 ~Lynny~

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

Sweeney were you there last night?  which one was you!? lol

i was a bit bummed when i heard that they were having a meet the midwives thing on at the same time as the tour.. last time the two were sorta hand in hand.  I noticed most of the midwives were the same ones from last time so i didnt care too much about missing out on that part of the evening.  The tour itself was alright though i must say.. as nice as everything looks now it seems much more hospitally than homey IYKWIM - the birthing room seemed very cold and hospital like  unsure.gif but still not enough to make me go somewhere else.  Did anyone see what the new birthing room's bathroom looked like? i wanted to see the bath's but couldnt get past everyone!  mad.gif  mad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.