Hornsby hosptial?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 AnotherFeral

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

I think if there is overflow, they put people in the paediatric ward (same building, also single rooms). But I do remember around the time they moved into the new building (just after I had DD) they reduced the maximum length of stay that would qualify you for the early discharge programme.

#52 Red_Sparkles

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

i had my son there in 2002 and i absolutely loved it. im not sure what they had for natural labour as I had a emergency c sections but the midwives were lovely and looked after me well. the nursey was great too and my son was looked after great until he was tranferred (other problems where he needed extra care). i wish i could have my secind child there but i live in northern nsw and so a bit out of the way to have a baby lol.

#53 sydneymumof2

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

I had my tour of Hornsby the other day by a midwife. The baths in the labour suites look big, I'm so dying to be be able to have one there.

The rooms are nice, they have a big armchair, a baby bath and a bar fridge in each room. The rooms aren't all that huge, so not a lot of room for visitors. The ensuites look quite large as well original.gif They also have a parents room where they serve a continental breakfast each morning and have a fridge with juices and snacks for the Mums staying there.

All in all it looked pretty good and I'm looking forward to my stay there in July (all going well!).

#54 stylzies

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:59 PM

The rooms are nice, they have a big armchair, a baby bath and a bar fridge in each room. The rooms aren't all that huge, so not a lot of room for visitors. The ensuites look quite large as well original.gif They also have a parents room where they serve a continental breakfast each morning and have a fridge with juices and snacks for the Mums staying there.

God i wish i was giving birth there!! sounds like a hotel! I wonder if its too late to change hospitals... tongue.gif

#55 mumobi

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 weeks pregnant with bub number 5. I had the last 4 in private hospitals... 1st, 3rd and 4th at Hurstville and 2nd at Kareena.

We've moved to the Northern Beaches and I am booked in at the San. Just found out that our stupid health fund dropped us to the wrong plan and we have no obstetrics cover at all. And of course, there's no record of our conversation as they only keep those for 6 months and we changed plans back in 2006. Grrr.

So now we either pay $5K for the hospital, plus any ICU care the baby may need (which is around $4K) and IF I end up with a caesar.. let's add several thousand to that! lol

I'm looking into Hornsby and it sounds great. My OB doesn't deliver at Hornsby of course  wacko.gif

So now I have to find a new OB because I usually am induced and I like to have an epidural pretty early on. Yes I'm a real wuss!  blush.gif

Can anyone recommend a good doctor who believes in drugs who delivers at Hornsby?

I'll have to go on a tour also and have a look around,but from what I've read, I'm happy. Don't know that I'll get the usual 4 day stay though!  unsure.gif

Thanks!  original.gif

Edited by mumobi, 22 May 2008 - 06:01 PM.

#56 **uptheduff**

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

I am now only 3.5 weeks from my due date! I can not wait to have my baby at Hornsby!

The team midwives are all fantastic and i am genuinely looking forward to birthing my baby in a positive, calm and relaxed environment.

Will post photos of the birth suite and ward no later than mid July for anyone who is interested!

#57 eliii

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:48 AM

Hornsby Hosp has 14 beds in Maternity Unit.
12 are single rooms with ensuites and 2 beds are in a double room with ensuite (why the decision makers did a double room in the new unit is beyond me...and some of the midwives!)
Although that doesn't sound like many beds compared to SAN/Royal North Shore/North Shore Private etc, Hornsby only have 1500+ deliveries a year whereas the others do more.
Also, if you have vaginal delivery and things are okay you are encouraged to go home within 48 hours (which means you qualify for midwife visits at home) so I guess that does free up beds/rooms.
There are 4 birthing rooms - 3 have baths (again who was making the decisions on this? - midwives also said it was silly not to include one in the 4th!) and all have showers.
(Should they unfortunately all be occupied, they can deliver your baby in one of the rooms but alternatively, if somebody is in a birthing room but not far along and you are getting to the fun stage, they can put the other person in a room and move you into the birthing room.)
We have private health insurance so could have gone to the SAN or North Shore Private etc but chose Hornsby anyway...hmmm that makes me think we are CRAZY for paying so much every month to MBF!!!

#58 Mabel Yao

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

I haven't been to the Antenatal Clinic of Hornsby Hospital yet but intend to give birth of my 2nd baby there.  The first 2 calls to the clinic co-ordinator were not very encouraging and happy encounters.  The first time I called I  was told that I couldn't book for any visit until I was 8 weeks.  Then at 9 weeks I called to book my first appointment and the co-ordinator (her name is Margaret) were very rude and unhelpful.  She said I had to call at end of July (when I will be 3.5 months pregnant) to make a booking because I can't make a booking until I am 14 weeks.  And why I had to call again was simply because she couldn't find the roster book to put in my booking.  

I hope the midwives will be as good as what other mothers have mailed about.  But this front desk woman was simply the worst nasty person I've ever met in public hospital!  I had a fantastic experience at RPA Hospital in Camperdown with my first pregnancy.  I am sure they are as busy (if not busier) as the clinic in Hornsby Hospital, but they are always patient and sympathetic as possible.  This Margaret is just a b**ch!

#59 paris-stella

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

I am surprised that you got a rude person in the antenatal clinic. I went there before I got pregnant through the gyno clinic and then throughout my pregnancy - from 26 weeks my appointments were weekly.

Hornsby Hospital they get you to ring at 8 weeks and you make your booking in appointment which is done at 14 weeks. This is where you choose whether you want to do 'team midwives' or doctors clinic.

I cant speak highly enough of Hornsby. I did not have an easy birth in the least, yet they were also good. When DD was delivered I had 3 midwives, 2 ob's, a paed and a aneathatist (sp?). DD went into special care nursery for 3 4 days and they were brilliant and could not have been more helpful and friendly.

The only downside that I found is with the small amount of rooms is that when Ella was in special care, I had to move down to the childrens ward and had to share a room, however, this was a minor hassle, and I am grateful to them that both Ella and myself are healthy.

The reason that Hornsby is so busy is they have not set suburb cut-off's so anyone can book into the hospital and have birth there, so a lot of people are coming from as far as Newcastle to give birth there because of the new facilities. When they designed the new maternity ward they did not expect that they would have the birth numbers that they do have.

#60 metime

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:35 PM

I'm very disappointed, after reading this wonderful thread and getting great reports from people I know about Hornsby I just called them and tried to book in but they no longer take anyone out of area.  I'm only a few suburbs out of area but was told no  sad.gif

#61 paris-stella

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

Maybe they have changed their policy in the last couple of months. We were told by the midwife that does the ante-natal classes that they dont have cutoff's - that they were taking people as far as Newcastle.

#62 metime

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

Yep, the new policy is only a week old!

#63 hunter4

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

I had my first baby at Hornsby Hospital in November last year. It was a pretty good experience, but I do remember Margaret.  I remember having the same worries when I first called and talked to Margaret and thought she was a b&*ch as well, but I will say that my view quickly changed as I got to know everyone there more.  So don't be put off by her.

I was one of the unlucky ones that ended up in the one and only double room so I can't talk about how nice the single rooms were, but they do only use that room as a last resort, they will fill up the single rooms first.

Despite the few issues that I had due to the business of the ward at the time of my bubs birth I would still recommend Hornsby to anyone.

#64 ~Mummy~Mel~

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

I just had my baby at Hornsby Hospital... 18/8/2008. I stayed there for 2 nights and my experience both in the birthing suite and maternity ward was WONDERFUL!! I couldnt fault anything at all. The midwives who delivered were so lovely and friendly, as too were the ones who looked after me in the ward. One lady would stay and chat to me. The rooms are very nice and not tiny like people are saying. It is a hospital after all and not a resort wacko.gif They are bright and clean. When you press the buzzer for assistance they are there so quickly (not like Westmead where i had DD). They offer classes while your there for breastfeeding and also physio classes to teach you the exercises to get your pelvic floor and tummy muscles back into shape.

I will be going back there for sure if i have any more babies original.gif

#65 Mianta

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

Most public hospitals in Sydney are now zoned. I couldn't believe when the OP was talking about going to RHW whilst living in Dural. If she was a public patient, they quite simply wouldn't accept her. They have been zoned since at least 2004, when I tried to get in with a pregnancy and couldn't because I lived in Marrickville. Most others have been zoned for awhile as well, especially very busy ones like RPA and RNSH.

Hayley

#66 metime

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Most public hospitals in Sydney are now zoned. I couldn't believe when the OP was talking about going to RHW whilst living in Dural. If she was a public patient, they quite simply wouldn't accept her. They have been zoned since at least 2004, when I tried to get in with a pregnancy and couldn't because I lived in Marrickville. Most others have been zoned for awhile as well, especially very busy ones like RPA and RNSH.

No, not true about RHW.  I had my 3rd baby there in 2006 as a public patient and I was at Baulkham Hills, there were no issues with being out of area, I was booked in over the phone.

#67 Mianta

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

Really? Because I have spoken to them several times about zoning this year and they stated that you will only get in depending on your postcode which is Eastern Suburbs and City mostly. They told me the same in late 2004. Maybe certain outside areas are allowed to attend? Thankfully, I will be going there as I am in the area. wub.gif

Hayley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.