Information On keloid scarring tissue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 picobmum

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

THANKS TO WENDY1970 for this information.

As someone who works in the field of Plastic Surgery, I just want to give you some advice about scar management, as it seems some of you who have are having some problems with your scar. I work with people who have scars and see the problems that can arise.

Firstly it generally takes 12 months for a scar to mature. The end result of a surgical scar such as as C-section scar, should be soft, pale pink and flat.

A keloid scar is one that advances beyond the original wound and begins to affect normal, non injured tissue. This type of condition is considered a type of tumour and is more common to those races that have larger amounts of the skin pigment melanin, such as those of aboriginal, african, indian and asian races.

A hypertrophic scar is a scar that has become red, raised/ lumpy and rigid. The edges of the scar are still within the original wound area. Typically they are also very itchy and can be painful. This type of abnormal scar healing is more common than keloid scarring.

If you check out this link you can see what the two types of scars look like. http://www.avocetcorp.com/scar_info.html

Hypertrophic scars often improve with treatment and may settle down with time. If they become a nuisance or you are unhappy with the cosmetic appearance, there are several treatment options depending on the severity of the scar and it's location on the body.

-Deep pressure massage
-Self-adhesive polyurethane scar reduction patches
-Silicone gel dressings - Cica-Care
-Pressure dressings/ garments

and if the above fails:
-Surgical scar revision
-Corticosteroid injections
-Laser

In the meantime the following deep massage and moisturising regime may help some. This is the advice I give to people who have burn scars which are very prone to hypertrophy:

Wash the scar with soap and water and then deep massage with Nutra D cream (available from chemist) or Sorbalene & glycerine cream at least twice a day. Deep massage for at least 60 seconds on each centimetre of scar with your thumb, making sure the scar blanches (goes white when you press on it). Massage the scar with up and down and side to side strokes, and in circles.

If during the day the scar feels itchy at all, do another massage. Deep massage helps to break up the collagen bundles in the wound that have become raised and helps it to then lie flatter. It also helps desensitise the scar. Also you could try some silicone gel sheets such as 'CicaCare' on the scar. These are available from the chemist.

I hope some of this info has been helpful. I have posted this information a few times for other EB ladies who were having problems with a raised, lumpy scars and they later informed me that the massage regime really helped to flatten them out.

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

After nearly 6yrs of dealing with Hypertrophic/Keloid scarring (I had 3 c/s - I have had that scarring type all my life but nothing had ever been this painful/itchy) I finally asked my Dr about treatment (as the deep massage, Silicone Patches, Cica Gel had not worked).

My scar was very painful and itchy and as it would be my last scar it was becoming a problem (scratching yourself down there all the time is not pretty blush.gif ).

He suggested to Corticosteroid Injections.

I got a script for Kenacourt (cost around $35 for 5 vials, 1 vial per injection set) and after only 1 set of injections my life was changed. Sure it was 12-15 injections along the scar (whole scar was hypertrophic/keloid), but from the 1st set of injections the pain/itch vanished.

A 2nd set of injections helped to 'clean up' the look of the scar (this time 10-12) along the line. A 3rd set (about 5-8 this time) has resulted in an 'normal' looking scar for over 80% of my scar. The final 20% is just slightly discoloured, but sooo much better then it had been.

I have not bothered going for the 4th/5th round of injections as I hate needles and am happy with the improvement so far in my scar.

So just saying that for the cost of a few Dr visits and $30-$40 for the Steroids you can quickly and easily get rid of that pain/itch of your scar cool.gif

#3 bronty_saurus

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the information! The itch drives  you crazy eh? Currently pregnant with #2 but definitely saving your advice for afterwards.

Did you find the scar got worse after successive c sections or about the same each time?

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

My third started out looking like it was going to be fine and it was at 4-6m post CS that the scarring started up, horrid and itchy red. That was after doing all the suggested stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.