How to GO GREEN

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 precious1

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

Good old Bunnings have compost bins - just the black type ones that have a lid and no bottom. I have one of these as well as a wheelie bin sized worm farm.
The worm farm came from www.wormsdownunder.com.au
They have smaller ones too.

If you are in QLD you are entitled to a $50 rebate if you buy a worm farm. Not sure about the compost bin though. The rebate is through the WaterWise scheme.

The worm farm composts a lot quicker than the compost bin too.

Good luck  grin.gif

#27 janebroz

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

for homedesign and renovating I like:
www.sanctuarymagazine.org.au
and a new magazine called Green Living, which is more lifestyle

#28 etoile

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

How about, don't have too many children? Over-population is what got us into this mess in the first place.

#29 LLamb

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

How about, don't have too many children? Over-population is what got us into this mess in the first place.

LOL! hey Rudd, forget the Carbon pollution reduction scheme, etoile has the solution!

#30 etoile

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (*jaju* @ 29/07/2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL! hey Rudd, forget the Carbon pollution reduction scheme, etoile has the solution!

Erm, why do you think this government and other countries' governments are pushing a CPRS or other such schemes in the first place? To try to address the environmental damage caused by over-use of resources by too many people on the planet. Or, to put it another way, over-consumption by existing people (especially in the 'developed' world, ie us).

I was hoping for an interesting discussion about this. I certainly have qualms about bringing another person into the world, who I know will not have a zero carbon footprint... maybe this is the wrong place...

#31 LLamb

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

I certainly have qualms about bringing another person into the world

So do I. I recognise that global over-population is a massive issue. However high birth rates are a major issue in developing countries. Australia’s population although increasing, has been generally not due to more babies, but increased immigration, an ageing population and improved health conditions. I understand where you are coming from but I think there is much more to it than saying Australian's should have less children.

I would argue that regardless of global population, consumption would still be unsustainable because of our lifestyle choices and practices. This is what I believe needs to be addressed first. People are going to have babies, it’s just the way it is, but how we choose to live our lives, our farming practices, travel, the products we chose to buy and use & realising the consequences to our actions is what needs to be changed. That’s what this thread is about and I’m glad people give a damn in the first place to start it in the hope that people might become educated in alternative options available to them.

#32 JaneMummy

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

With traveling, when booking flights, pay extra for carbon offsets for your flight.

#33 akccm

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

I'm loving all the great tips on this forum!
I love the daily lime www.dailylime.com.au - great advice on how to go green, but not preachy! I'm always looking for ways to be greener.

#34 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:31 PM

I cant like your list for some reason but its very good. Some of those things I cant do for certain reasons but I try where I can.

I have a couple of others

pass on unwanted clothes, books and toys (in good condition)  to op shops / friends or freecycle rather than throwing out. Or sell on gumtree.

Keep your house insulated - particularly windows - thick curtains or blinds help a lot with heat or cool loss
Use fans where possible rather than a/c
standby power.

In the peak of summer it actually uses less power to turn the a/c on when it gets a bit hot (like 30 ) and keep it running than to leave it til its 40 degrees and try to cool a house down.

mulch plants to prevent water loss.

_ETA Bah zombie post!  But still totally relevant

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 17 November 2018 - 06:33 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.