Newborns and vaporisers?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 michelleconomos

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hi everyone

I have a 6 weeks old DD who has a minor cold, but it wakes her up a couple of times a night in distress as she can't breathe.

I used the Vicks vaporiser in her room for about 5 nights and it helped her immensely!  She slept really peacefully in between waking for feeds.

I went to the chemist yesterday however to get some more Vicks to put in the vaporiser and they said that I shouldn't be doing that, and that it is not allowed for babies under 3 months - same for that new Sudaclear plug-in vaporiser.  I went home and checked the bottle that I have been using and there is no mention of not being able to use it for babies under 3 months.  I have been using Fess Little Noses and the vaporiser together and this has been working wonderfully.  Has anyone else used a vaporiser for their babies?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by michelleconomos, 17 June 2007 - 12:06 PM.

#2 butterfly-lee

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

hi, I have a 9 week old little girl and went and brought the vicks vaporizer for her about 2 weeks ago. I spoke to the chemist at the time and she could not see a problem in using it. However I have not used the liquid in it for her, I just use the steam, if that makes sense, as the chemist thought that the steam alone would be effective enough.

It has made a great difference to her sleeping as well. It is the best thing I have brought.

#3 MiloandOtis

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

I got one a few weeks ago.  The pharmacist lady said it's fine to use just steam or the liquid inhalent stuff.  original.gif

Don't worry no harm original.gif

#4 michelleconomos

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for your replies so far - some more would be great please!  Just to put my mind at rest.

Phew - that is great knowing that the inhalant or just steam is OK to use.  I would hate to think that I might have done something wrong :-(  There is not much else we can do for them otherwise and it is heartbreaking to hear them struggling to breathe and distressed.  Having the vaporiser in my room with her in her bassinet is actually helping my cold too!

Edited by michelleconomos, 17 June 2007 - 02:38 PM.

#5 Yakkers

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:12 AM

Well we used it for our baby when she was about 9 weeks and it helped clear her up.  We used the drops and all.  The door was open.  I did not realise you could not use it under 3 months either!

#6 lisajoy72

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:45 AM

My DS is a very snuffly baby and we have been using the vaporizer since he was 5 weeks old (now 13 weeks).  We especially use it when it gets really cold about 4am.  My paeditrician told me that the steam alone is enough, don't bother with the oils etc. And that the saline drops up the nose help disolve mucous back into a digestable form so it doesn't clog up their little noses but throw away that fess sucky thing that 'sucks' out the snot because it's crap he said just saline up the nose is all you need and the vaporiser with a closed door.  It works a treat for us, hope that helps!

#7 littlej

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

Is there menthol in it?

Not quite the same thing, but I asked a similar question about the Sudaclear plugs when I was pregnant:

http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index....opic=255031&hl=

It was suggested that menthol is not good during pregnancy, although I'm not sure why? I didn't end up using it anyway, just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure if some pharmacists don't recommend it for babies for the same reason as for pregnancies? Seems to depend on who you ask anyway wacko.gif.

BTW in my sleep-deprived haze I forgot all about this (until I read this post) and used a vapouriser with the Vicks solution when DS had a cold at 8 weeks of age.

I've just confused the issue now haven't I?  tongue.gif

Edited by littlej, 18 June 2007 - 12:45 PM.

#8 janeway

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

I purchased a TAAV vaporiser a few weeks ago while I was pregnant & was told that it isn't recommended to use the oil while I was pregnant & until the baby is older, but I didn't really question why. My 1 1/2 week old is sniffly & I'm getting good results with just the water only, so will keep on using that method for now.

#9 *Dory*

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread! My almost 3 week old son is so snuffly overnight that it was really starting to worry me - I'm also staying awake to hear him breath!
After speaking with a few different pharmacists and taking him to see our GP, there is nothing I can give him other than using the Fess nasal drops.  I tried the "sucker" thing up his little nose, but noticed that the tiny bit of snot that I was able to get, was blood tinged, so I've stopped using that! and I didn't want to put saline up there in case it stung, so I bought a TAAV vapouriser this morning so I'm hoping that works!! I was also told not to use anything else added to the vapouriser other than water - steam should be enough. Please let this work!  hands.gif

#10 Laney

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

Personally I'm a fan of the sucky thing.  That stuff in their nose can lead to sinus infection and ear infections.  Better out than in.

Dory
I doubt you would have caused the little bit of blood, the nozzle on the fess suction thing is very soft and pliable.  Also you don't need to put it very far up.

I also think they would feel better with it out, imagine how awful that would feel having that stuff sitting there and not blowing it out.

I usually suction, do the fess, then sometimes suction again after the fess has had time to dissolve the mucous.  This works a treat when there nose is really blocked (from a cold) and isn't running freely.

At the moment, I've got that happening, euky bear rub, karvol, and the vapouriser all going.  Today the GP prescribed a steroid cream to put into DS2's nose to settle down the inflammation as he can't breath very well at all.  Haven't had that before...

#11 Xiola

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

DS2 is a very snuffly baby and I've been told by a paedatrician that it is fine to use the liquid for newborns if you feel like the steam alone isn't making a difference.

#12 VJs Mummy

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hey, My DS has been very sick since he was 24 days old. In hospital ans all they all told me not to use the menthol stuff in under age of 3 months.

At the moment i hav borrowed a friends vapouriser euky bear rub fess at every feed and antibiotics and ventolin syrup at the moment

But the steam should do the trick but i wouldnt use the menthol if my baby was under 3 months JMO
Goodluck with everything

#13 *Dory*

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Laney, I didn't think I caused any damage to produce a bit of blood, but it did make me feel bad seeing it.  
imagine how awful that would feel having that stuff sitting there and not blowing it out.
You are right about that - I just used the suction thing again and managed to get a lot out (no blood this time phew!) and he is breathing much better. I haven't heard of Euky bear rub before?
I hope the steroid cream helps your DS too!

Thanks Xiola - I will keep that in mind happy.gif

VJs Mummy - thanks for that also - I hope your DS gets better soon too.  Like your DS2's name  wink.gif

Edited by *Dory*, 19 August 2007 - 06:43 PM.

#14 BusyBeeC

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

unsure.gif Can anyone tell me what the menthol would do to a newborn and why it's recommended to just use the steam?

The reason I ask is that my 7 week old has had a cold this last week and for the last couple of nights I have used our TAAV vaporiser in his room with the TAAV Mentholaire Vaporiser Fluid...

#15 Laney

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

Catherine
I just googles 'menthol newborns' and got this:

Breathing peppermint oil can cause newborn babies to slow down their breathing, and even
stop breathing temporarily. Products with peppermint oil or menthol should NOT be near the
noses of newborn babies.

Scary, I'd never heard of this before, my guy is 6.5 months, but I certainly wouldn't risk it for a newborn.

Dory

Euky Bearub, a eucalyptus chest rub. A soothing vaporific chest rub that helps relieve the symptoms of colds and clears nasal passages. Breathe easier - sleep better.

Contents

Eucalyptus Oil 6.0%w/w
Eucalyptol 6.0%w/w
Menthol 5.0%w/w
Camphor 4.9%w/w
Rosemary Oil 1.0%w/w

I hadn't realised it has some menthol in it.  I guess that is quite different though to using straight menthol...

#16 Bmansmum

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:37 AM

with all the colds going around at the moment my baby had her first cold at 3 weeks and I used menthol and lavender oil through the machine, I did not even second guess that it could be harmful, no where on the menthol or the vaporiser does it warn against new borns and menthol, that it terrible on the manufacturers part in my opinion. Not like it's mt first either, I have never heard of this with either of them, to bad when it's too late. Must get some fess drops, I forget about them.

Nat

#17 BusyBeeC

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

Laney - Thanks for that! Jack is my 3rd bub and I had no idea that what I was doing could potentially be harmful - I really think there should be a warning on the bottle  mad.gif
Anyway, I know now and there will be steam only!  original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.