Moving to Canberra

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 DadAgain

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Well good on him for getting the job Michelle!

I just discovered that I *didnt* get a job... Not even a *proper* interview due to what can only be described as an "administrative error" (I'm being generous)

The interview I did have started with this from the interviewer:
"I'm not a technical guy - so cant ask any technical questions and dont need you to prove your technical skills..."
and also included gems like:
"I dont know exactly what role you'd be doing or what projects you'd be working on..."

Today I heard I'm not going any further with the recruitment process because I didnt "Communicate my technical skills effectively at interview"  WTF?!  rant.gif

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that somewhere between the Line Manager in Canberra wanting to recruit people, the HR department organising the whole process and the completely disinterested interviewer in Brisbane the message got lost or misinterpretted. (I chose to interpret it that way 'cos the ego crushing possibility that I'm just not good enough for the job is NOT something I'm prepared to entertain! tongue.gif ).

Anyway - looks like may be Canberra isnt the place for me then? (At least not just yet!)

#52 Puggle

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

Oh DadAgain, that's not fair! I'd be getting in touch with them and letting them know just how your interview actually went (as in, not well but not through any fault of your own!)

Edited by Puggle, 20 July 2007 - 12:45 PM.

#53 tiarra

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

hello hello very excited to say hi to anyone who is coming to sunny canberra! Hiya nut cant  find old threads looking for groups atm just wanted to say hi and  biggrin.gif  And Jasmine Grace is now a month already!!! How are you? Lots of love Sarah

#54 Nut

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

Tiarra - There is a pinned thread in the main ACT section linking to all the groups (though some of them may need a bit of updating... will go through and look now).

#55 e_bella

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hi all!  DH and I have just moved to Canberra from Brisbane after a LOOONG 12 month wait through the RIDICULOUS process!  We have just discovered we are "SUPRISE" pregnant again with our third bubby....still recovering from the shock and feeling terribly  sick.gif

#56 L712

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:39 PM

Welcome e bella and congrats!  I know that sick feeling very well  sick.gif  sick.gif
Are you north or south?
Laurel

#57 MrsHUGS

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

Qld Intruder Alert...

Hi Ladies...
I am hoping that some of you may be able to help me out with some questions I have now and probably more to come in the next few months...
TIA for all your help and assistance...

My daughter M (21) has just finished a double uni degree and has just been accepted to join a Gov dept down in Canberra in their Gradute Program in Jan 2008... This will be her first time out of home and its not like it is just around the corner or a short drive away, so is a whole new experience for her ( and ME )...

She will be working near Marcus Clarke St and London Court, which from what I have gathered is near the Uni...

I looked to see if it was posibble for her to buy something down there to live in while there and sell later but the prices are just way to high... Renting a 1 bedroom place is out of her price range as well, so its either rent a 2 bedroom place and find someone to move in or check out the share situation and move in with someone else...

I would dearly LOVE to find a lovely Canberra family who has a spare bedroom and some space to take in my daughter from mid Jan to mid Dec 2008... I can wish and prayer...

Anyway getting back to seeing whats about and where everything is... What are the suburbs Turner, Braddon like ??? My daughter doesnt drive so if she didnt live within a walk to work she would need public transport, are there any other suburbs I should be looking at and not looking at ???

I will pop back in again soon...

MrsHUGS

#58 ~mimo~

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

Can't help with accomm sorry, there are a few links in this thread for accomm etc.

What is her budget? When we first moved here we stayed in a bedsit for $150/week, but had all basic furniture/bed/fridge etc. That was in Watson, not far from the city.

http://www.allhomes.com.au - accommodation
http://www.action.act.gov.au - buses

Good luck to your daughter and congrats on her placement. original.gif

#59 Nut

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

MrsHugs - If you'd be happy for her to potentially share with a male or 2 (not necessarily but that's the more likely scenario) I can ask around. DH works in the city right near where your daughter is starting and most of his friends live in the area. There are no guarantees of course but I am more than happy to put the word out. A few have just bought new appartments in the area (close friend is a real estate agent).

Just let me know and I will get him to ask (but like I said, no guarantees).

#60 MrsHUGS

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hey Nut...

Not too sure how she would feel about sharing with a male, but anything is a posibility at this stage...
We are looking at popping down for a visit in Oct to check out the area, meet people who might have contacts etc...

Her rental budget I am hoping to keep to around the $200 pw, depends what the place has to offer, I have seen some places with pools, gym etc so am willing to pay a bit more IYKWIM...

Thanks heaps...

MrsHUGS

#61 Nut

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

If it helps at all, all the guys I am thinking of are very mature and professional. One is a solicitor who use to work with DH...

I will put the word out and see what there is anyway and if anything comes up I will let you know.

#62 MrsHUGS

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

That would be excellent Nut, I would appreciate it greatly...

MrsHUGS

#63 MrsHUGS

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

Nut - I have spoken with DD (21) and she is happy sharing with a male professional person... So will leave it in your hands at present... All her paperwork should arrive this week so I will see what its says as well, but I think it will give me the same info as I have already found here on Canberra...

Thanks heaps...

MrsHUGS

#64 michellecabrera

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Hello, well thought I would tell you that husband is going to log with a uni studient from Dubbo who is now in Nunawall? So he can look for a rental house whilst I organise the sale of our home and pack. I have a 4 yr old who goes to kindy 2 days a week, can anyone recommend a really nice centre with loving teachers in the gungahlin type area? I would need to get her booked in? Thanks everyone! michelle blink.gif

#65 DadAgain

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

Got a phone call out of the blue yesterday and turned it into an interview...

Discussion went *very* well and the interviewer said they woudl be keen to fly me to Canberra next week to talk to a few people!... When asked how much money I was probably looking for she even said "oh - I think we can do better than that" and suggested a figure about $30K HIGHER than I'd asked for!?  wacko.gif

I'm waiting to hear more and find out if she can organise flights for Wednesday (handy for me since its a BNE public holiday!)... but it all sounds very promising indeed!

(Just when I'd given up on the whole Canberra thing and was starting to get disolutioned about finding any decent job!  biggrin.gif )

#66 coopersmum

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hi Michelle
what did you mean by kindy?
if you mean daycare my boys go to Stepping Stones in Gungahlin and i think (so do the boys) that they are great.
Preschool wise you could call Amaroo Preschool  for this year or Harrison Preschool is opening next year. They have 2 day a week or 3 day a week sessions. Pre school here is zoned so it will depend on your address but give them a call.
Hope this helps.

#67 DadAgain

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

Wow...

interview on Wednesday - in Canberra! BUT they wouldnt pay for my flights  rant.gif

So I'm using 8,000 QFF points, paying $200 to go to an interview AND due to limited availability of affordable flights I'll be arriving at 8am and have to hang around until 6pm....

Anyone want to show me around Canberra for the day  tongue.gif  unsure.gif ?  (I guess I'll probably grab a hire car and drive around a bit trying to get a feel for the various areas).....

All very exciting!

Edited by DadAgain, 10 August 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#68 lovingmother

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

hpe you get the job after you pay to come down here good luck with it all.

#69 Rim

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

I haven't posted in here before but just wanted to say "Congratulations" Dadagain. Might be a good time waster to check out some houses  grin.gif

#70 smarty~pants

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

We are looking at moving back to Aus in the next few months (currently living in LA) we have a daughter who will be 1 at the end of September and I'm ill thinking about finding a childcare place. I'm a cbr born & bred girl but of course have no clue about childcare (who does till they have a kiddliwink!) and I've been o'seas for 4 1/2 years! HEEEEEEELLLP! Suggestions? She's in a home daycare here which we love but it seems thatthere are a lot of concerns about home daycares in ACT?  sad.gif

#71 lovingmother

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

what side of town are you going to be moving to then have a look on the net do a google on childcare places of look at the yellowpages online then ask some eb girls what places they go to then email them so they cn put you on the book and when you come here you may have a place for bub.

#72 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

Good luck for tomorrow dadagain...

I think I have gotten my DH to see that sticking with his current company longer is NOT going to get him his PM accreditation any easier/ sooner... in fact, they keep deploying him to do technical jobs as he is the one of the few who can do it and is 'available'. That means he is missing out on time doing project management, which should be counting towards his licence!

So, in a quick check of jobs in Canberra, I noticed the Aust. Federal police have some IT jobs going, and DH originally got into IT to enter the AFP, so maybe it could be a way of getting him a new job and having some more job satisfaction! Now I just have to get him to get his act together and sort out his CV and applications!

I would love to move before this next baby comes along (so deadline to move would be early Jan) but that probably won't happen! I am all excited about moving to Canberra again, esp. as we are coming down in about 6 weeks and I have been checking out all the great stuff to do!

Seems to be a popular place to move to at the moment!

#73 Nut

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

Good luck for tomorrow DadAgain!

#74 Puggle

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

All the best for your trip and interview, DadAgain.

#75 michellecabrera

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

Thanks COOPERS MUM for your reply, She was born 5 July 2003 so she wont be going to start school til 2009 - Stepping Stones is your recommendation, so I will put her name down there and see how we go... thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.