Please Give Me Urgent Advice

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#76 edel80

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:06 PM

Hi sorry dont think i was clear in my last post but my boy will definitely not be returning to that centre nor any branch of that chain given that i have been totally excluded from knowing any outcome of their investigation i think is not good enough. All I do know is that this woman is still at the centre.  mad.gif The area manager did say they looked at staffs past work record etc, but does a previous good record make the incident with my boy insignicant sad.gif  what if other instances had just been missed, i could easily have been fifteen minutes later to collect my boy on friday and would never have known what happened  ohmy.gif  I am exhausted have a terrible migraine but will be chasing up more avenues tomorrow and certainly looking at contacting the media.  I cant believe it has to come to this though.

#77 Lizz

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

I've been following your thread from the beginning and can't believe they want to just sweep it under the carpet.  The Director is probably good friends with the child care worker  rolleyes.gif

Just wanted to throw up my hand for support as well.  Take this as far as you possibly can.  People like that should NOT be working around children.  I know it's out of your comfort zone so good on you for getting out there and doing what you can!!

#78 ~twoplusone~

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

Hi,

If you are seriously considering going to the media with this here are some useful contacts:

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/contactform/30607

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/feedback/default...228&_cobr=optus

I am sorry to hear the Director of ABC was such a horrid person, you'd think she'd show a bit of compassion. I am glad you are standing your ground and taking this as far as you can take it.

Good luck with your fight.  Stay strong.

{{{hugs}}}

Cath

Edited by ~twoplusone~, 21 August 2007 - 09:32 PM.

#79 mumheidi

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

I am appalled the teacher is teaching the older boys to be bullies.  I would want some sort of action taken against the teacher - unacceptable.  Yelling at children teaches them nothing where is Super Nanny.  

Heidi

wub.gif

#80 ~Catherine~

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

Anymore on this????

#81 ~Beck~

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:34 PM

I too would like to have an update on this.
I am a former qualified CC worker and am absolutely horrified and disgusted in how you and your poor DS were treated.
I have also worked at a couple of "bad" ABC centres, and the treatement you have received really doesn't surprise me unfortunately.
A good friend of mine works in a CCC and was telling me how if the children in her room push etc, they ENCOURAGE them to push back. Let me tell you I let her know how wrong it is, and how much trouble they are in for if it continues, but she wasn't overly concerned  rant.gif  Trouble is too, she is studying to become qualified. How is this teaching her the appropriate ways of doing things?
Do these people realise that they are encouraging bullying? That the bullying issues we are dealing with in schools is not going to get better if the people who are caring for them and modelling the appropriate way of dealing with conflict say its ok to push back? Sorry rant over...
I am so very sorry you witnessed that happening, but also glad you were there to be able to step in. Who knows what else occurs while the parents are not there to see...
Hope you and your DS are ok, and that something more has been done.
Take care.

#82 goneanon

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

i agree with the person who suggested going to ACA or today tonight. personally i don't really like those sort of shows but i would like to see that teacher get a dose of her own medicine, with a camera crew chasing her around, she deserves the humiliation of everyone knowing what she has done.

plus by going to the media it is a way of educating other cc workers that this sort of thing is utterly unacceptable and if they get caught doing it they will pay!

P.S. vast majority of cc workers do a great job and i admire them for it

#83 ~Billy~

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

Me too (an update if you have a chance, that is!)  original.gif

Billy

#84 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

Personally, I would be standing out the front of the centre with my son and asking him (quietly) who pushed him.  I would then speak to the parent and get them to find out from their child what happened - being a bit older, they may remember.  You might have 2 more witnesses.

Then I would tell all and sundry about the poor treatment you and your son had recieved and that everything was getting swept under the carpet.

Hoping for some good news from you soon.  sad.gif

#85 edel80

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hi sorry I wrote a post this morning and just as I was about to send it, we lost power.  So I have been "logged on" all morning but of course not really.  I will just write a quick reply as i dont like being online too much ATM as it ties up the phone line.  I was not happy with the area managers respose which basically said I have no right to know even if any action has been taken following the interviews and not to bother phoning at a later date for an outcome as the followup is ongoing.  Yesterday I rang ABC again to tell them this was unsatisfactory and spoke with a man who was a little more helpful and assured me i would get some response and hopefully by today.  I must say all the people I speak to at ABC talk in a very cold and bussinesslike manner and are extremely careful what they say.  No hint of any compassion or remorse for the incident.  When I phoned up a new centre in the area to enrol my boy the lady said she had seen the ABC bus pick kids up from school an then drive off down the road with the doors open  ohmy.gif  Okay sorry for my ramble but better go, thanks again for all your replies they have been most helpful and I can assure you I am still on the case!!

#86 Jenno

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

Sounds to me that they just don't care.

They will fill the place your son left and it will be all forgotton.

This is making my blood boil, so I can only imagine how you are feeling  sad.gif .

#87 ~Beck~

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

edel I am glad you came back to update us. Hopefully something will get done after speaking to this new man. It is absolutely disgusting the way they are handling this, but I guess to be expected by those in that chain. Not all ABC centres are bad, but the people higher up than the staff in the centres are very cold and very hard to deal with...

MYGOODBOYS
That was definitely not put in to scare you, it is not a really common occurance in CCC for staff to do this. I guess a lot of it really depends on what the centre deems as appropriate. This centre my friend is at has done a few things that have set off huge alarm bells for me and I have told her. Not all centres are dodgy. Yes there are many bad, even horrendous ones out there, not just in the ABC corporation either. There are many fantastic centres out there too original.gif
Anyway, sometimes children click with some carers, are afraid of others. The one the child might be afraid of could be adored by other children. But often the staff member is very "old school" and really should look at another career or retraining in the appropriate way to deal with situations and how to communicate with children.
Another thing is if your children are settled and happy to go to the centre then things *should* be ok. One thing I always say to people to look at is how the staff seem in the centre. Are they genuinely happy? Can you pick up on hostility or tension? I know I have worked in places where you can just pick up on the tension in the rooms with staff. Maybe talk to the other carer about your concerns, to see if they are getting shouted at (maybe she just gets a bit cross, but they take that as shouting sort of thing). You will be able to gauge how things are by her responses. Overall how do you feel about the staff and communication/friendliness you receive? There are a lot of warning signals you can pick up on if you look a bit more than just the obvious iykwim... I hope what I have said has made sense...sleep deprived at the moment.
SOrry to hijack the post OP  blush.gif I really hope they deal with this istuation in an appropriate manner from now on, I would definitely contact the police and press charges if the corporation still doesn't do anything...
Good luck and take care.

Edited by ~Beck~, 24 August 2007 - 12:03 PM.

#88 ~Billy~

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hi Edel80,

Thanks for popping back in, good to see you.  There's quite a few of us following this (in case you hadn't noticed!).

Alright, what about another angle?  Can I suggest perhaps talking to someone at Tanya Plibersek's office?  She is the Shadow Minister for Work, Family, Childcare, Youth and Women.

Her contact details are:

tanya@tanyaplibersek.com
Ph: (02) 6277 4519

You may have read a bit about her here at EB, I seem to remember last year (?) reading information from her here on EB and a poll from her asking our opinion on childcare, working mums, maternity leave or similar.

I found her office extremely helpful and supportive when we were having difficulties a couple of years ago.  They are a great source of information and were very accessible, more than happy to hear our story and willing to make suggestions and take matters further wherever they could.

Maybe they could help in giving some direction.  As we are rapidly approaching a federal election I would imagine they would be even more willing than ever to help guide you through this.

Anyway, just another angle for you to consider.  How's your little one at the moment?  Coping OK, I hope.

Best wishes to you,

Billy

#89 trish12a

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

Hi there

Just wondering if anything was happening with the director / or centre.  I hope that you and your little darling are all ok.

#90 Barbie09

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:45 PM

I sincerely hope the fact that edel80 has not updated further regarding this appalling incident that it is in the hands of authorities.

My advice to edel80 and anyone experiencing anything similar is to document everything. Every conversation including the statements made at the time, as in this case the repentant words the "carer" uttered immediately upon being "sprung" and the aide's apology, with times (exact or approximate)- also all phone conversations (I think it is illegal to tape phone calls but you should always write out the details as soon as you get off the phone as verbatim as possible-with dates and times)

It is unfortunate that this happened late Friday and it wasn't until the Monday that the centre director was contacted. In my mind I would have gone to the centre first thing Monday to meet with the director in person. (I do understand that this sort of confrontation is extremely difficult for some people and the emotional aspect of the whole incident would add to this- my advice is to enlist the help of someone strong). It is also wise to have a witness, a friend to support you as well as corroborate your side of the interview/meeting. Take notes. Make sure you state clearly the circumstances of the complaint so there can be no misunderstanding regarding your side of the story. (read from written statement if necessary and give them a copy).

The centre should have a complaints and grievances policy- make sure you get a copy of it. And (supposing it's a decent policy) make them follow it to the letter. They are the one's who have to come up with the answers. You have every right to demand them.

If their handling of the matter is not satisfactory, take your complaint to the authorities along with all the documentation of all your dealings that you have gathered.

In this case the "carer" should be sacked and should not be allowed to work with children. The parent's of the 5 y.o's should also be made aware of the incident as their children have been taught to bully by this person.

I worked for 3 years in the administration side at a CCC (not ABC) and we had quite defined policies which included incident reports that had to be filled out by both/all parties and signed and copies given to everyone. The reason for this (in my mind) is to have documentation should something further come of it.

I cannot believe that ABC has been able to get away with what they have so far in this instance without some sort of formal meeting with edel80 and the centre.

Sorry for this long post - like everyone else I am hoping that justice will be done.

#91 HersheyKisses

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

A good friend of mine works in a CCC and was telling me how if the children in her room push etc, they ENCOURAGE them to push back. Let me tell you I let her know how wrong it is, and how much trouble they are in for if it continues, but she wasn't overly concerned

That is not best practice. I have worked in many centres, and have never seen a staff member encourage a child to do this. That is NOT quality care - and if I saw this happening I would be sure to step in and report it. Very unprofessional, and I'm sure she wouldn't be doing it if a parent or the Director was standing there.

#92 Kat78

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Edel

Like others, I've been following this thread and your first post brought me to tears.

I'm a SAHM and have not yet had to send my DD's to CC.

This unfortunate/appauling/disgusting incident makes me never want to place them in care with anyone other than my parents.

hugs for you and your bubby boy. I hope you get the outcome your and your son deserve.

I will continue to follow this thread with hope and prayers for you.

#93 Shellby

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

I really hope you have the strenght to continue this fight and make sure the center knows this is not on at all.

#94 boo boos mumma

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

I am appalled.

I am an ec teacher with 4yrs experience in an ABC centre. This treatment your DS endured is absolutely distressing & I wanted to assure you all that i promise that there are many of us carers/teachers who highly care for the children in our care & I am so so sorry for what u have been through.

U have a right for answers & action to be taken. If it were my centre there would be disiplinary action taken immediately. & if its any consolation i can assure u that although they are 'tight lipped' about it all, that teacher would have been dealt with by the company even if it was only a warning.....it'll be a black mark against her name iykwim??

Plz keep us updated as this sort of care is disgusting & this lady should face the music.

good luck with it.

#95 whatsonemore

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

I am sorry your son was treated so badly, have you thought about maybe using Family daycare or shared nanning.

I hope your son has not been to badly affected by this bullying i can't beleave the adult was encouraging the older kids.

Cosycot~ Maybe this was not the thread to voice your opinion on what you think about Childcare. Maybe you could start you own thread about people that support your thinking on Childcare.

#96 boo boos mumma

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:16 PM

Well cosycots im glad u are sorry.

I personally dont agree with children in care full time as i think its sad for mum & child & when i do see this occuring (im an ec teacher in a local daycare centre) I really feel sorry for the parent too as i can assure u that 9 times out of 10 the parent wishes that they were in a position to not have to work so giving someone a hard time about it isnt real fair as u never know what the circumstances are iykwim??

As for children in part-time care ie:1-3days per week especially 3yrs of age & up, in my experience is the most wonderful thing u could ever offer your child prior to the school years. They learn social skills amongst peers, are introduced to such wonderful learning experiences that lets face it not all parents happily let children get all messy with goop LOL. IMportantly cosycots children learn that its ok if mum or dad are not always around & its ok to have fun with friends.....when this is introduced gradually & with some lovely carers it prevents the distress of when your child has to go to school 5days a week ALL day.

So staying home with your children EVERYDAY...in the long run u are setting them up for an emotional roller coaster for when school does arrive & then it will be much worse, or were u planning on home schooling & keeping them out of the social circle with peers their own age for life??

Think about it, u dont have ALL the answers..

so just next time plz be sensitive to someones situation, my DD goes to day care 1 day a week so i also took offense to your comment.

#97 boo boos mumma

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:37 PM

Thanks BECK for that comment.

Oh Rhylia where did u get your username from?? I love it very catchy....is that your name?? Oh & I hope your little boy had a lovely bday yesterday.

Edited by amaratae, 10 September 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#98 Bel

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

I have done some 'post removing' in this thread, as it has totally derailed, and needs to get back to the original topic.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.