154 replies to this topic

#1 Nut

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

New thread time!!

Link to old thread

#2 ~mimo~

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

Gold!!! laugh.gif

Have my pre-admission appt tomorrow morning so if anyone has q's about the renovations just let me know!!!

#3 ~mimo~

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:51 PM

Somewhat good news.

There ARE single rooms, along with 2 bed and 4 bed (even for private). They will try and give single rooms where possible, even putting you in a 2 bed ward and leaving the other empty until needed. Even if you do get a single room there will be NO double beds (too hard to move) so partners will have to sleep on mattress on the floor. Shared rooms no partners allowed, I think even if you are the only one in the room.

The renos start 2 October and supposed to finish early Dec but the hosp are telling people Christmas, obviously allowing for delays etc. Reason why I'm guessing it will take so long is they are renovating bathrooms etc as well as carpets and everything else.

When you go into labour, birth suite and SCN are staying where they are so just go to delivery suite as you would anyway, then you will be moved to 4th floor when ready.

Think that's about all they told me, apparently they only found out last week and letters either will go out shortly or have just been sent.

#4 Mel_Mac

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Mimo biggrin.gif  

TBH though I am still cynical about the private room situation as there is a noteable shortage of beds vrs women booked in for these months.  So, they are either going to have to send people away (to other hospitals for example), or as has already been highlighted - encourage a quick turn around in your stay.

I re-read my emails and again point out that the private maternity ward has 17 rooms, yet this make shift ward will only have 10 (or 12 - it is unclear) rooms.

How many beds are available on the alternate ward?

This will vary but we plan to have 12 allocated to private pts 8 singles and 2 doubles

I guess this is the thing that bothers me.  The fact that there just simply does not appear to be the accomodation needed for the number of patients anticipated.

As far as when they knew - hmmmm, they have known for a good while now.  The hospital CEO would have known for a LONG while and whilst I can appreciate that the communication may not have been filtered appropriately to relevant staff, it's a copout to say "we only just found out".  These things take months of planning, both in the design stages and the organisation of finances.  They would have to think we are stupid to believe this decision was made last week!  I feel for the obs who this has affected also as no doubt every patient will be asking the same questions and demanding similiar answers and assurances where our care and accomodation is concerned.

I know I am going to bombard poor Jakub with queries about this and the like.

Edited by Mel_Mac, 03 September 2007 - 01:19 PM.

#5 chat

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

Now is a good time to have a baby at John James. I just got back from a class there and the maternity ward is empty. As are the delivery suites.

Calm before the storm I think wacko.gif

#6 Mel_Mac

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

Yep, now would be a good time original.gif

Actually on the topic of the busiest months; I have also heard that in Canberra it's Sept/Oct and March/April.  Which is of course consistant with New years festivities and Canberra's winter wink.gif

Don't you wish you could think yourself into labour  laughing2.gif  I would think myself into labour 2-3 weeks early (from 37 weeks).  Maybe this way I'd avoid the 10pder we are predicting and also get a bed at a hospital  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

#7 jckalilvi

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

I received a letter from Calvary in the mail today re the rennovations... pretty much states what we already know/have heard of...if someone wants to see a scanned copy, let me know!

#8 Mel_Mac

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:11 PM

Faye - Yes please original.gif  I've been waiting for the letter to decide when/what to write to them about again original.gif  Shall I PM you my email addy?

#9 jckalilvi

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

Yes Mel!!

#10 Mel_Mac

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

On another note - 15 days to go - YAY!!!  Far out, are you stressed, anxious, prepared?  How are you feeling?

#11 jckalilvi

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

OK Mel.. have just emailed the doc to you.. hope you can see it ok... seems to be scanning a bit on the light side and is taking ages to go through.. hope you don't receive it a million times!!

Yes only 15 days to go grin.gif ! I am actually more excited than anything, am not at all anxious like I was before DS2 arrived! A little sad cry1.gif as well knowing that this will be the last time I will feel a little person move and hiccup inside me but am extremely relieved to know that my dreaded SPD pain will hopefully disapear in 15 days time as well...well I have my fingers crossed anyway!

#12 Mel_Mac

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

OK, most recent email of complaint/questions sent to Calvary original.gif  They are going to love me biggrin.gif  Will let you know how I go.  

All I can say is that the letter they are sending provides no further information and more or less suggests that those of us affected recognise the benefit the changes will have for future women birthing at Calvary!!  Great, thanks for that, so despite paying for my PHI I should be delighted for others who will benefit in my absence original.gif  Yep, my attitude is selfish but whose wouldn't be in this situation?!

#13 emd

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hope you're all feeling happy and healthy.

Heard from a friend who left Calvary Maternity today that they were a bit quiet in the last few days. So if you can wish yourself into labour, now is the time!

(By the way, I can wish myself into labour. Pity I can't wish myself into actually pushing out a baby.)

#14 mia7

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:16 PM

Hi

I hope you don't mind me joining in on this series of posts.  I am a first time 'poster' and so apologise if I step outside of any accepted posting ettiquettes. sad.gif

I am also booked into Calvary - with Jakub Dreher in late October/early November.  I received the letter from Calvary last night and have been able to think of little else since.  I am disappointed, concerned and furious!  I had no idea there were any plans for renovations and hadn't even heard a whisper that this was going on. It's not exactly the kind of news you want to hear at the tail end of your pregnancy!

I was really happy when I looked on this forum and could at least get a little bit more information than what was contained in the very uninformative letter!

Mel - where did you direct your complaint?  I am also going to write to Calvary and give them my views on the poor way this has been handled.  I also have two friends who are booked into Calvary (also with Jakub) who are due in mid November and early December so I am going to pass this information on to them as well.

I agree - all good and well for future women to benefit from the renovations but to be frank - I currently don't really care.  My concerns are that I am highly likely to have a C section and so will have limited options to leave early and will be stuck somewhere I am unhappy with, potentially without my partner staying with me (and even if he is, he'll be bunking out on the floor).  It's not at all what I had planned for or anticipated!

My reasons for choosing Calvary (apart from the wonderful Dr Dreher) are evaporating before my eyes!

Does anyone know anything about the assistance mentioned in the letter relating to nappies and cleaning if you leave early?

I'm also going to suggest that they look at moving people to the Hyatt or similar to recuperate.  This is something that is commonly done in Melbourne.  I had heard that they have a whole floor booked at the Park Hyatt for over flow.[/font]

#15 ~mimo~

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

Welcome Mia! happy.gif

Hyatt would be good, esp if they chucked in High Tea twice a day!

I still haven't received my letter, will ring them if I don't receive it by the end of the week.

I also have two friends who are booked into Calvary (also with Jakub) who are due in mid November and early December
I'm hoping they finish end Nov and I have bubs on time!

Will the hosp be compensating with chocolate or anything as a sorry you are being stuffed around? tongue.gif  

Forgot what else I was going to say...

#16 Mel_Mac

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hi Mia,

Welcome and congrats on your impending arrival original.gif  Wonder if any of us will *meet* in the hospital in October/November?  We will probably be sharing a room wink.gif closedeyes.gif

I have been emailing Sue McKee whose name was on the letter we recieved yesterday. She is the directer of Nursing and I have no probs posting her email address here as it's available on the Calvary website also - sue.mckee@calvary-act.com.au.  I think the more people who express their concerns, the more the hospital will be forced to consider OUR options.  

Here is an extract from my email yesterday (no response recieved as yet);

I guess one area where I am mostly confused is in regards to the accommodation situation.  It would appear that there is not going to be sufficient accommodation for all women throughout the months the renovations are taking place.  I understand the private maternity ward (3N) to have 17 private rooms, yet the ward on level 4 will have either 10 or 12 (I am not clear on this from our previous emails) including some shared.  

I imagine October is a very busy month and I feel like it would almost be naive of me to think I would be fortunate enough to get my own room given there is just less than half the available rooms otherwise.    I am also not entirely clear if this 10 rooms is for private patients only, or if this is an amalgamation of both private and public.  If not, how many rooms are allocated to the public ward?

This also raises questions  for me  in relation to the duration for which women will be encouraged to stay after the birth of our babies.  When my son was born we were encouraged,  and invited to stay between 5-7 days depending on the delivery.  If there is a notable shortage of rooms during these months then I would imagine women will not be encouraged to stay  for this length of time.  Whilst perhaps not directly asked to leave, the feeling or insinuation  that the turn-over should be fast may be prevalent which is of concern for those of us who were hoping to be able to utilise the opportunity to stay that period of time and receive assistance with establishing feeding, recovering from the birth and so forth.

I felt the letter which was sent lacked considerable information, and whilst I also do appreciate that the decisions may not be directly yours, or even communicated appropriately with hospital staff in the first instance, I felt as though your letter suggests that the end result of a first class facility should outweigh the needs of those of us affected by these changes now.  Quite frankly this is not a satisfactory result or outcome for me, and I imagine many others.  

When my husband and I chose our obstetrician and hospital, it was on the basis of things such as your private maternity facilities.  Whilst I can appreciate the need for changes, and the benefits they will serve in the long run, that is naturally cold comfort for us when we are not going to be able to benefit from these changes, now or possibly in the future.  As mentioned previously, I am quite distressed at the notion that a choice I made in January of this year in respect of where I deliver my child, and the fact that I have been paying my health insurance for the guarantee of a private hospital stay, is now being subject to upheaval and no guarantee of these benefits.

I am guessing that the hospital is not able to guarantee private rooms, and if my calculations serve me correctly I simply can not see how there are sufficient rooms to accommodate private rooms for all private patients.  Perhaps you can put my mind at ease somewhat in this respect.

I note that I have been in contact with my health insurer to query the claim which will be made against them by the hospital .  Whilst they were obviously limited in what they could advise me, they did mention that several other hospital providers around Australia have arrangements with alternative accommodation facilities (such as hotels) to accommodate women after the birth of their children.   Is this not a possible option for the women of Canberra?    

When my son was born my husband and I self-funded and we paid somewhere in the vicinity of $600-750 per night.  This is naturally more than most would pay for a night in a standard suite at the Hyatt, inclusive of meals.  So, in this respect is there the option of considering alternate accommodation for those who may prefer this to simply going home (despite paying thousands for health insurance).  This would certainly provide the guarantee of partners being able to stay also.

I must admit my own concerns are very directly linked with sharing a room.  This is something I very specifically opted to avoid and without the guarantee that I will receive my own room I am naturally trepidatious and uneasy about this experience and the impact the renovations are presenting.

Once again let me reiterate that my frustration is not directed at you personally, and I do see the benefits of the renovations for future patients, but as mentioned it's of very little comfort for those of us who are affected in the interim.

I am with you and have no idea what the additonal things mentioned in the letter are for.  The letter was so void of information and the more I thought about it last night the more I thought how rude it was of them to include that sentence about the benefit of a first class health care facility in the future.   That might be all well and fine if any consultation had occured and we were able to communicate also, but the reality is it hasn't.  In fact those of us affected are being consulted at a point when it is just far too late to make alternative arrangements.  I mean, we are in the tail end now.  I have 5 weeks to go and the absolute last thing I want to be thinking about is if I am going to get a bed in hospital when my baby is born!

Sheesh, it's all a bit annoying really!  I wonder if some public interest or attention to the Health Minister would encourage some further thought in regard to this.  

My poor Dad.  He's been copping LOTS of my frustration over this.  At the end of the day it has NOTHING to do with him either so it's not his fault by any stretch but he seems a logical person for *me* to direct my anger at -  laughing2.gif

#17 chat

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Welcome Mia.

Mel these letters you put together are outstanding. I can't wait to hear the response you get.

#18 mia7

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

Hi Mel & Mimo

Thanks for the welcome!

I have just been talking to one of my friends who is also due during the renovations time and she is understandably very worked up.  I think there will be a lot of people with a lot of feeling about this!

I am attending the VBAC session at Calvary on Thursday morning so will hopefully get a chance to ask some more questions there (I'm actually wondering whether there will be any discussion about how to give birth after having a C section!)  I'm also going to call my health fund (mbf)and also email a complaint the way this has been handled.  

It's going to be hard to hand over my hospital excess payment knowing that I'm paying it for no benefit received!!

#19 ~mimo~

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

Mia, let me know how you get on with MBF, I'm with them too.

From what I was told yesterday, health funds won't be able to do much (as we are still classified as private patients ie in a private ward) that they will still get charged by the hosp, therefore we will too. rant.gif

#20 Mel_Mac

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:30 PM

I am with NIB and this is what they said;

In relation to the hospital billing us for services not being received, we are unable to predict they will be doing this so unfortunately will have to wait until the admission account is sent through to us from the hospital before we can approach them over the charges.

I will be following this up at the tail end though to see what they say.

I should follow up the gap with them also as Tim thought there wouldn't be one but If there is and we are not in a suitable room no way will I be paying it wink.gif

B - ahhh written word, must admit it is always my first preference to verbal in these situations.  I'm much more articulate if I can use the spell check  laughing2.gif

#21 ~mimo~

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:36 PM

I'm waiting on a call back from the antenatal clinic re where classes will be after the renos start.

They currently have no idea where they will be. wacko.gif

#22 Mel_Mac

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

Mimo - Hope this doesn't sound at all rude - absolutely not my intention at all.  Are you booked in through the midwifery program?  I am just wondering what the communication and advise is like between the private and public system (i.e are we being given consitant advice?).

#23 ~mimo~

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

Mel, fully private. Don't worry, not rude at all!! original.gif

From what I understood yesterday, level 4 is a fully private ward, (same as level 6 where DH was a few weeks ago) so does that mean 'public' patients are in 'private' rooms even if they aren't private IYGWIM...?

It's all just too hard lol. I feel sorriest for you girls who are due sooner though. I'm just keeping my fingers (and legs) crossed.

#24 Mel_Mac

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, that was exactly my thoughts also.  The emails Sue McKee sent me don't really provide that information in respect of where private and public are going.  Hopefully we can get a sound answer on that one also.

#25 ~mimo~

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

Maybe we should ask her for a meeting! ROFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.