7 month old fussy phase?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 seesa

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

Is anyone else out there having issues with their 7 month old?  My LO is 7.5 months old and last week has started to be more clingy and her naps are completely chaotic.  Before this phase hit her naps were like clockwork, now she often wakes after only 30mins and/or resists going down in the first place.  She would also fall asleep easily at her bedtime, and now she's started to scream when I kiss her goodnight.  

And nighttime sleep?  A couple of weeks ago she started waking early at say, 5am and then only sleeping very lightly after that breastfeed.  This was a bit of a pain, but I could deal with it because it was a nice big long stretch of sleep for both of us.  However, the past 2 nights she's been waking up at 1am and 4am as well.  It's really difficult to resettle her and the only thing that seems to work is booby.  

I've had a perfect little angel since we came back from Tresillian 2 months ago and I'm worried we're going to slip back into pre-Tresillian mode again (hourly waking throughout the night).

So - did you guys hit this kind of thing around 7-8 months?  Please tell me that this is only a short phase or commisserate if you're going through the same thing!

#2 mommysbabygirls

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:00 AM

I recently just got over this period. My DD was just like that. She would wake every 1.5 hrs over night and sleep for no more than 40 mins though the day. She also screamed when I put her down for her naps. And then yesterday I found out why she was like that, She got her first tooth. grin.gif
So maybe your little one is getting a toothiepeg. happy.gif

#3 kirstyannb

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

I second that. Don't be surprised if a tooth comes through soon that happend with DS at 9 months when he got his first tooth.

I don't like to do the OD thing with panadol / neurofen but I would try it and see if it makes a difference. I find it hard to sleep if I am in pain too.

Its a fine line too because you want to comfort them through this but within reason try and stick to your guns with the sleep cause you don't want to start new bad habits.

Oh and another thought if its not teething it may be separation anxiety. Its a good time to start peek'a'boo or our variation is "wheres Zac". I play it when we are in different rooms or even throw the sheet over his face. At 10 months he sometimes starts it himself and will take ages to reveal his face to the point I pull the sheet of him and he cracks up  laughing2.gif

Good luck with it.

Kirsty

Edited by kirstyannb, 07 September 2007 - 05:06 PM.

#4 seesa

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:30 AM

Thanks guys.  I was wondering if it was teeth but she's already cut her 2 bottom teeth and they didn't affect her sleep at all, but I imagine if it's her top teeth coming through that that would hurt a bit more.  In general for the past month or so her fingers and hands are constantly in her mouth so it's difficult to tell if it's teething related or not.  I can't see any lumps on her gums, but I might try the panadol tonight and see if it makes a difference.

She did start daycare 2 weeks ago (3 days a week) and as expected hasn't been napping well there (30 mins at a time) so maybe this whole unsettled behaviour is due to starting childcare - bad napping impacting on nighttime sleep etc.

And yes, separation anxiety is definately a factor with her.  She's always been a clingy bub but lately it's been over the top - she cries when I duck off to the bathroom and when she's playing on her mat I need to be sitting right next to her.  She is always reaching out to touch me as if she's checking that I'm still there.  I've been playing peek-a-boo games a lot, she thinks it's funny but it really isn't improving her clingyness much.

So, it seems like this unsettled phase is due to bit of everything - starting daycare, teething, separation anxiety.  Hopefully it won't last too long.  I've had such a lucky run of things lately - 2 months of great sleep, great eating, happy baby.  So I expect that great phases pass as well as the bad phases.

#5 bubbles~

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

my DD is 8 months now but for the past 3 weeks she's been like that too.....

I'm hoping it is just a phase because i miss her sleeping thru the night:P

#6 *Natski82*

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hollie was terrible at 7-8 months. VERY CLINGY.. shehas grown out of it for now. I found she was terrible when her teeth were coming through. Only wanted Mummy.

#7 *maddierose*

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

my ds has just started being very clingy. I would think if just started daycare could just be a reaction to that, i work in daycare and lots of parents comment on this within the first month or so.

#8 ~*Ness~*

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

seesa Ava went through this as well when she cut her top teeth. She got the bottom 2 at about 6 months and the ones off the centre at the top came through btw 7 and 9 months. She was in so much pain from them and was constantly getting another 1, got all 4 top middle teeth over 2 months. For Ava they are wider so they seem to be cutting and hurting for longer to get through than the bottom ones.

Ava had bad nights and lots of waking before the teeth cut... they seemed to be more painful for about a week before coming through. If your bub is still not sleeping try some nurofen or panadol maybe to see if that helps? That helped Ava through it.

Edited by ~*Ness~*, 08 September 2007 - 10:45 PM.

#9 Mum2JackMatt

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:09 AM

Seesa, I came on here to post almost your exact post. DS is only 7 months today but has been a nightmare to get to sleep and stay asleep for the past few days.  I hope it is teeth and things get back to normal asap.  cry1.gif

Edited to say He has no teeth yet biggrin.gif

Edited by Mum2JackMatt, 09 September 2007 - 06:10 AM.

#10 Laney

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:18 AM

* Putting my hand up to join in *  My DS over last few days is the same  cry1.gif

What happened.  We already have four teeth but I guess we are due for more...

My DS wasn't this unsettled at sleep time when he had Influenza A 3 weeks ago  huh.gif

I stupily thought we were over this changing back and forward in the settling for sleep department.  

I was just thinking last week that we should be over those unsettled periods for settling to sleep  sad.gif

They know when we have those thoughts you know, and then they plot against us to change ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.