Nissan Pathfinder VS Toyota Prado

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ~Col~

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:55 AM

Hi Ladies

DP's company has decided his car is ready to be upgraded and these are the choices we have.

We are looking at the Turbo Diesel of either the Nissan Pathfinder or the Toyota Prado. Not sure about manual or auto at this point.

We do a lot of towing (caravan) and DP takes it to job sites (large construction firm) that can get pretty mucky. We also have three kids in carseats and tend to carry a lot of stuff in the boot when we go on holidays or weekends away.

We're leaning towards the Pathfinder ATM, mostly because it seemed to drive better when we test drove them both and also due to the large boot space. While the Prado technically has a larger cubic boot space, the Pathfinders is longer which suits all the stuff we take with us on our trips (IYKWIM??).

We'd be accessorising it with Hayman Reece towbar, electric brakes, Rhino rack, CB (2-way) and cargo barrier for starters I think.

I know that the leg room in the back of the Pathfinder is limited but as it'll only be the kids (5,3,21m) and we'll only have it for between 3-5 years we're not worried about that.

What I'd love to hear are all the pros and cons from you lovely ladies that have either vehicle. If you've heard anything bad about either, etc.

We'd be looking at the new models which are coming out soon. Although another downside for the Prado is the waiting list is until Jan/Feb 2008...  ohmy.gif

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 mousebaby

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

Hi ,
I have a pathfinder, it is the last of the old shape, 2005 model. While i love it , it has a few issues

1 - It is freggin squichy in the back. They are not very wide.
2 - It is great on the bitumen, and on dirt , but hopeless on gravel.
3 - We bought ours off a friend who had bought it to tow a caravan and it was to guteless to pull the caravan !

Ob, this is the older model , but make sure you check them out !

I  wub.gif the prado but i couldn't justify the extra $$$

Edited by camarli, 16 September 2007 - 08:51 AM.

#3 ~Col~

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for that Camarli!!

We're looking at the Series 3 Ti Pathfinder. This new model has a bit more room in the back (I sat in there easily) and we've been told that it compares really well with the Prado both offroad and towing. We've also confirmed this via internet searches etc... So that's a plus!! original.gif

Thanks again for replying!!

#4 ~Col~

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Kate! How freaky...I actually drive an X-Trail myself. wink.gif

The decision has been taken out of our hands unfortunately. The purchasing manager has decided that he'll allow the Prado GX (? - it's the mid range one) with the accessories that we need for towing etc but not a "Nissan". I'm guessing 'cause he gets better deals with Toyota.

Ah well. It's ordered now and we've been told that we should have it in the first week of FEBRUARY 2008...bugger...what a wait!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your replies!!

#5 ~Col~

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

LOL!! I've just found out that it's the Prado VX that we've been offered. Man, how confusing can this get!?!?!?  laughing2.gif  rolleyes.gif

#6 littlehelpers

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

We have a prado and we love it.  We have a 2003 model.  We have taken it off road and it 4wd's like a dream wub.gif .  We've had ours since feb this year.  The downside is the boot space.

Enjoy your new prado.  We hope you love it as much as us wub.gif  grin.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.