Our mishap in Kmart Tuggeranong today

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

A BIG warning for all those that shop in Kmart, especially in the scrapping section! Warning too its long!

Mum, Jemma and I went to Kmart today to buy something for a friends child, I was in the kids colouring in book section, mum was a few aisles down. Mum comes rushing back, saying Jemma's eaten something and Jemma has something all over her mouth. So I am starting to freak because it smells like paint, so I ask her to get what she had, and it was a tube of paint from the scrapping section.

I'm panicking and trying to get it out of her mouth with a wipe, and rush out of the store to the toilets, on my way out complaining to the lady who checks your bags.

I got it out of her mouth, but it was all over her clothes, and Im there trying to get it out of them but it won't budge.

So I go back to Kmart, and Mum shows me where they were and where Jemma got the paint from, and right there in the aisle on the bottom shelf is a BOX FULL of paint at CHILDRENS HEIGHT!!!!  rant.gif  rant.gif  rant.gif that look like tubes of glitter lip gloss (thats why Jemma put it all over her mouth) So I took photos on my phone lol and then went to the front desk to complain.

I complained to the lady, and said that I wanted a $30 voucher to replace the brand new outfit Jemma was wearing, and she said she would get her manager. So he turns up and we explain to him what happened, how to her it looked and that it was lip gloss, that it was Kmarts irresponsibility that it was down the bottom at childrens height, and that I want a $30 voucher to get her outfit replaced, and he looks at us like he's an idiot.

First he asks was she supervised, we say yes, she was standing next to Mum. Then he asks Mum so you watched her put it on her mouth, and were are like noooo. Then he asks the first question again, and then he asks the second one again, but this time I am getting frustrated. Mum was like, do you think I would let my grandchild put paint all over her mouth!! I said to him, look do you have children? They can be standing right next to you, and you can be looking at something and because you don't have eyes on the side of your head, if something as stupid as paint is on the bottom level they can touch it without you noticing. He just stares at me  rant.gif

Finally Mum says look you are lucky you don't have a sick child on your hands, what are you going to do about the outfit, and he looks at her and says "I'll just talk to my manager". So off he goes.

They all come back, make a phone call, walk off come back, serve a customer, come back and say "Oh we are getting you a gift voucher", walk off, come back, hand me a gift voucher, no oh this is for $30 we are so sorry, nothing, just hand me the voucher. I say thank you, Mum says thank you, and then we leave.

Annoyed that I didn't get a sorry, but happy that I can replace the totally runined outfit.

Reminds me of the time we found Target Tuggers hidey hole they shove broken things in, right next to the kids stationary, and popcorn makers and blenders. There was a box cutter open, 4 broken wine glasses, and a wire sticking out, and the only reason I knew it was there was because my child handed me a broken wine glass and I asked her where she got it from. I got no sorry from them either, they didn't even clean it up when we were there. I don't shop there anymore, because I know they still shove broken things in the hidey hole! rant.gif

Edit_to put R in customer.

Edited by TashaLJ, 21 November 2007 - 04:50 PM.

#2 ~strawberry~

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:36 PM

OMG! I hope Jemma's okay! How scary for you and your mum!

I think that the lack of apology is probably related to insurance. If they apologise then they're admitting fault which they are not allowed to do, though they should have been much more sympathetic and understanding, of course!

Hey, I was in Kmart Tuggers this morning! The section I wanted to look at was totally blocked by large tray trolleys and massive boxes... Fun with a pram!

Oh, I love you new sig! Such a gorgeous photo!!!

#3 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

Jemma's fine, thank god. I had enough time to get it out of her mouth before she swallowed much (if any).

I didn't think of the insurance bit, but agree with you they should have been more sympathetic and understanding rather than looking like stunned mullets, and trying to blame us.

I hate that they have the aisles blocked with trolleys, carts, and boxes. Very irratating with prams yes!

Thanks about the sig, I thought it was gorgeous too. Pity I can't say I took it lol

#4 cheeky_monkeys

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

OMG tasha that is a joke!!!
Anything that happens inside a retail store is under the responsibility of the store so they were fully at fault.

Glad you got it sorted out in the end

#5 Michelle&Girls

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Far out!
What is it with shops! Do they not have brains!

We went to the hardware shop with my girls when they were a bit younger...at kids eye level were axes with no covers or anything with them!
I told 3 staff members, nothing was done about it!
I rang up the manager and complained and they still did nothing! Are they waiting for a kid to pick it up and whack themselves or something else with it?

Edited by Michelle&Girls, 20 November 2007 - 08:09 PM.

#6 karenmc

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:38 PM

Tash - to be brutally honest, if it was my child, I would be the one apologising to the shop staff, and offering to pay for the damage to their stock. My kids are my responsibility - anywhere, including a shop, I have to watch them and make sure they don't get into things. It doesn't matter whether it's the knife drawer at the great-aunt's house, a shop of any description, a play centre where the kids have access to the toilets (and so they should), a hardware store - anywhere. It is up to me, and I wouldn't dream of attempting to blame someone else for my inattention if they got into trouble.

I think you're a lovely person based on the couple of times I've met you, but this has left me a bit stunned.

#7 Fukuro Lady

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

Without elaborating too much, I 100% agree with Karenmc

#8 cookie*monster

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:48 PM

I can't believe you asked for and received a $30 voucher for this. Most probably it was just to shut you up so you didn't make a scene.

Your child - your responsibility to SUPERVISE.

Yes, yes, it was down low. Umm, all of Kmart's items have low shelves as well as high shelves. If you think this is a problem don't shop there.

I fail to see how this is Kmart's fault when your child was being watched (apparently) by two adults.  blink.gif

#9 *chan*

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:02 PM

I agree with karenmc.

Kmart have low shelves everywhere, full of stuff like that. Makeup, small items, knives, crockery, toys, pens, textas etc

Maybe you could sit her in a trolley next time.

You are lucky they didn't make you pay for their damaged stock. Most other shops would have.

Edited by jax2boys, 20 November 2007 - 11:02 PM.

#10 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Karen, honesty is always good original.gif
My kids are my responsibility - anywhere, including a shop, I have to watch them and make sure they don't get into things

Totally agree with you. Unfortunately this happened when I was there, but not there if you know what I mean?
I was actually first annoyed at my mother for letting it happen, until I saw where the paints were and how easy it was for this to happen.

Just to point out to people, I can't supervise if I wasn't in that aisle. She was with my mother, they walked 2 aisles down, and came back seconds later. My mother was there holding her hand, looking at something, and Jemma said "Look Oma" and she was covered in paint. These things happen in seconds.

In saying that I understand what you are all saying, but the paint should have had a plastic wrap on it. They did not. Most of those paints do, and these did not. They should not have been at child height if they did not have a plastic wrap on them (they were in a bargain box, so I am guessing this is why they didn't, looking at the ophoto I have, one doesn't even have a lid). It was an adult product (for scrap booking) and an adult would have had to of bent right down to get it. If they had been up higher this would not have happened.

As I said above these things happen in seconds, and without a wrapper on the paint, and the paint being at child height, it was bound to happen.

I asked for a $30 voucher, because I had only just bought the outfit from there (Kmart) about 2 weeks ago (It cost me about $23 all up), and I wanted to replace it. I've soaked the outfit, and the paint isn't coming out, exactly as I expected.

Most probably it was just to shut you up so you didn't make a scene.

cookie*monster, I actually didn't make a scene. I was calm and collected, and I explained I was angry at the situation and not at them. The people around us had no idea what was going on.

It took me 4 times to tell that guy what happened, before he did something, it was frustrating, but at no time did I make a "scene".

Edited by TashaLJ, 20 November 2007 - 11:27 PM.

#11 *chan*

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

I am glad you got what you wanted.

The guy actually sounded quite rude to you too.

#12 Guest_toppy_*

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

There was a box cutter open, 4 broken wine glasses, and a wire sticking out,

That is not acceptable, if the store manager didn't deal with it I'd keep going higher until it was dealt with.  

Sorry, but as for your DD, I agree with PPs.  The store also contains many poisons in the garden section, knives, glass, etc.

As parents it is our responsibility to teach our chn to look with their eyes and not with their hands.  If they are too young for this, they need to be in a pram or trolley, away from the shelf or under strict supervision, learning not to touch.

#13 Guest_Mini-Grey_*

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

I agree 110% with Cookie Monster. And I think you are cheeky for asking for a voucher to replace your DD's clothes!  ohmy.gif  I'd never do that and I work in retail myself!

#14 Tombi

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:21 AM

Edited by Tombi, 21 November 2007 - 05:22 AM.

#15 Michelle&Girls

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:42 AM

Youve never taken your children to the hardware shop?
Adults or Children, the axes should have covers on them? Even if an adult drops it on their foot, it should be covered, not an open blade.

#16 flying

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:07 AM

I have to agree that, whilst Kmart did have the paint on the bottom shelf, you (or your mother) should have been supervising your child closer.  There are only so many shelfs in any shop and not everything can be put up out of a child's reach. So supervision is a necessity.  

As for the pp complaining about things not out of reach of children in a hardware store  blink.gif

#17 knieally

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:14 AM

I hope your daughter is ok and I'm glad that the paint wasn't toxic.

I hope you take responsibility of your daughter next time. It is your responsibility to take care of your kids in a store. In every shop there is sharp things/paints/ cleaners and dangers at every level. When you go into Coles are you going take responsibility for your daughter in the cleaning isle?

#18 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:43 AM

I do take responsibility for my child while she is shopping with ME. And of course I would take due care if we were in the cleaning aisle.

I cannot however see what my child is doing 2 aisles down when she is with my mother.

I totally agree with you all that a child SHOULD be supervised at all times, while shopping.

#19 knieally

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

Mishaps occur and it is impossible to watch your child at all times. I think a child eating paint could have happened to anyone. When I say taking responsibility, I don't mean that you should care more. You already care a lot about your daughter obviously. I mean taking responsibility in the way that you are responsible for your actions and not blaming Kmart.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with it and I guess everyone is different.

Edited by knieally, 21 November 2007 - 07:55 AM.

#20 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:02 AM

knieally, it's ok you are entitled not to agree with my actions, I take no offence in that original.gif

What I meant by due care, was taking caution where it was due if we had been in the cleaning aisle.

Edited by TashaLJ, 21 November 2007 - 08:03 AM.

#21 cookie*monster

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

So not only did you not pay for the damage caused by your daughter (and your mother for not supervising her properly), you made a profit out of it? blink.gif

#22 mama

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

Seriously, a child can hurt them selves on anything. Do you expect the shops to remove everything from child hight?. I am with the others sorry. Need to except that it was yours/your mothers fault.

#23 ~Sorceress~

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:27 AM

Wow - I'm off to Kmart to get a new outfit for the kids  laugh.gif - do you think I can claim a new outfit for myself if I manage to get some on me as well?  dev (6).gif

Seriously, I agree that I take responsibility for my children BUT if they drop or feel roughly the confectionary or toys that supermarkets deliberately display at child or trolley seat height I don't offer to pay for it.  rant.gif Never thought of asking them to give me a voucher for it though  laughing2.gif .

#24 canberragirl

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

Sorry to hear that this happened Tash, but I agree with many of the PP that Kmart were not at fault (at all!) and that you are quite rude in demanding a voucher to replace your daughter's clothing.   ohmy.gif

Congratulations to Kmart Tuggeranong for pandering to your request and not demanding that you pay for their spoilt goods. I guess as a large chain store they can add 1 cent to the price of the product and recover their loss that way, by having other patrons pay more.

If you have a child that gets into everything and has not yet learned to NOT touch anything in a shop, keep her in a stroller or trolley until she has.

#25 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

Should answer
I just want to know how your very clever little girl managed to get the paint out of the box, the lid off and into her mouth, all whilst holding your mother's hand?

They looked like tubes of lipgloss to her. You so haven't seen my determinded child have you?

Honest question, would people be saying anything different if she had grabbed the one with no lid?

I am amazed people are angry I asked for the outfit to be replaced. I am sure that if I hadn't have asked, people would have been replying telling me I should have made them replace the outfit. Can't win on EB I guess.

And to the person who told me I made a profit ($7), so? I paid about that in parking the day I actually bought the outfit in the first place.

Nice to hear peoples comments though, I'd love for them to keep coming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.