Our mishap in Kmart Tuggeranong today

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#51 ~*~Sars~*~

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hmm....

So if you were at coles and whilst standing in the cleaning aisle (Holding your hand) wacko.gif  your child picks up a bottle of some sort of chemical and opens and drinks it, its Coles fault?? Seriously, you should be paying Kmart for the paint your daughter ruined.

There are things all around us that can hurt our children and nomatter where we are it is Our responsability to make sure they are safe.

Edited by ♥MandMsMummy♥, 21 November 2007 - 01:44 PM.

#52 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

So if you were at coles and whilst standing in the cleaning aisle (Holding your hand)  your child picks up a bottle of some sort of chemical and opens and drinks it, its Coles fault?? Seriously, you should be paying Kmart for the paint your daughter ruined.

I've already answered this question, scroll up a bit it's there.
If I was in the cleaning aisle, I would KNOW there was poision in there, and I would be picking up my child and holding her on my hip.

#53 mum2brodie

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

Woow I didn't realise I could drop DS off at Kmart and shop while he played.  Something new to me.

#54 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

Another question, this one about watching children in your home.

If you have craft glue up in a top shelf in the cupboard that your older children (9 and 11) use, and you happen to be in the toilet (no 2 lol), and your youngest who is 4 who was in her room colouring in on the floor gets a chair and gets it down and proceeds to put it in her hair and gets it in her eyes. Is that irresponsibile of the mother, and that she should have been watching her child at all times?

Can we watch our children ALL the time (home, shops, grandparents), or is it just that we must take more care when we take our children shopping with us?

Edited by TashaLJ, 21 November 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#55 brazen

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

yes, no and it might be hard to blame kmart and get freebies this time wink.gif

#56 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:02 PM

LOL Karen  biggrin.gif

#57 Contessa

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

Whilst this was a terrible unfortunate accident and yes I agree, toddlers can be bl**dy quick when they want to be, I am quite astonished that you confronted management about it! If anything, I would have been scuttling out of the store in pure embarrassment that I allowed my child to eat and cover herself in paint. I certainly wouldn't have been bringing it to anyone's attention! Not only that, you expected them to compensate YOU for it! I honestly don't know what else to say - I am speechless!

#58 mypumpkins

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

I would have been scuttling out of the store in pure embarrassment that I allowed my child to eat and cover herself in paint

Me too.  The LAST thing I would be doing is asking for a $30 voucher to cover a $23 outfit.  I believe it's totally the fault of the parents.  No ifs, buts or maybes.  Why they gave a voucher, I cannot understand.  Especially since the OP insists there was no "scene".  Hard to believe, really.

#59 *chan*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

8 months pregnant and being unable to run is not a time to teach your child not run away from you.

I still put my 5yr old in a trolley if I have 3 kids with me. If I've only got two, the youngest goes in the trolley and I hold the 5yr olds hand. As he still runs away. SO? He knows he's not supposed to, but he does it to be naughty.

I just want my children safe. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, or what he thinks.

#60 mumofgreengables

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

I agree with COokie Monster - it's your repsonsiblily to supervise your child. Yes they get into things but that's what being a parent is all about! KMart is not a Kids Rampage where they've designed the setup for kids.

I think they just gave you the $30 voucher to diffuse the situation but I am surprised they were this good about it.

#61 cookie*monster

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

The funniest thread I have read today.

No wonder the staff at kmart were looking at you weirdly -
you're the type of person (in this instance) that people
just shake their heads at.

Your daughter did damage to their stock and you expect them
to compensate you PLUS make a profit?

Bizarre!

Do hope you never shop in my area!

Edited by cookie*monster, 21 November 2007 - 02:47 PM.

#62 mumtoaterror

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

WOW WOW AND WOW!

What a thread

This is one of the very few 'general' threads that I have read.. (let alone replying)....So it is true what I have heard...they do get a bit feisty

I have to agree with PP, you are extremely rude and greedy in asking for the voucher (and making a profit out of it).  Are you that much of a tight a*se that you can't pay for your own mistakes.

Maybe I can got to Spotlight and get compensation.

A few months back when my DD was only a few days only, we all went to spotlight as I wanted to get some scrapping paper to do decorating in her room. DS (nearly 2) was out of his pram (I had DD in the baby bjorn) and while I was choosing some paper, I turned around and saw blue paint evreywhere.  It was one of those paint bottle with the squirty top that was sitting on the bottom shelf.  It was funny but I didn't let me DS know that. I pulled him away and told him it was naughty and that we had to go tell the lady.  We we honest about it and told the lady behind the counter and she too saw the humour of it and quicky came over to clean up.  The paint went on a few products that were in the basket that I was buying, but NO i didnt swap them over for fresh ones, and it also got on my sons shoes and NO i didnt ask them to replace them.  My son did the damage, so why should they pay - even if it was at his height.....

I could do with a few extra bucks, so maybe i might go and hit them up for a new pair of shoes, and add a few extra dollars onto it...LOL

When you think about it, it's a great money making scheme...maybe that was her plan all along....
Maybe the honest and right thing to do is to take the voucher back.  Or...we could call K-mart and tell them to cancel it - they will know which voucher it is.

Oh dear!

#63 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:48 PM

Are you sure he was looking at you like HE was an idiot?  I think he may have been appalled at your nerve at asking for a voucher to replace your daughters clothes.

Couldn't agree more here.

Look, to put it nicely I think your whole OP was well...

'a bit rich' IYKWIM

Foogle

Edited by foogle, 21 November 2007 - 02:49 PM.

#64 not-surprised

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

Talking about children in prams still getting up to mischief - apparently when I was about 2 my Mum and Grandma took me shopping and had a good old chin-wag while browsing thru DJs. I was in a 1960s Steelcraft stroller which I suspect had a hood that could be folded back but not removed.

So I was out of sight and quiet too. Imagine their surprise when we got to the car and I had a huge big saucepan on my lap that I'd pinched acquired in the kitchen section of DJs. Mum said she was too embarrassed to tell anyone so just slunk back in with it and it was pretty easy to spot the huge gap in the display to put it back.

Steph

#65 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

When you think about it, it's a great money making scheme...maybe that was her plan all along....

Ahhhh ok, did you not read the part where I wasn't even in the aisle? She was with my mother.
I went into the store to buy a friends child a birthday present. The end.

I am all for a discussion on whether you would or would not have done what I did, I am not however up for being accused of doing things.

This is one of the very few 'general' threads that I have read.. (let alone replying)....So it is true what I have heard...they do get a bit feisty

Feisty? Where? I see a healthy discussion here!

Edited by TashaLJ, 21 November 2007 - 02:57 PM.

#66 mumtoaterror

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

It was only a light bit of humour.  no offense intended...Sorry

#67 *sunshine*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

If you have craft glue up in a top shelf in the cupboard that your older children (9 and 11) use, and you happen to be in the toilet (no 2 lol), and your youngest who is 4 who was in her room colouring in on the floor gets a chair and gets it down and proceeds to put it in her hair and gets it in her eyes. Is that irresponsibile of the mother, and that she should have been watching her child at all times?

I would think it was irresponsible of the parent not to have it in a locked cupboard that the 4 yo couldn't get into.

I think in the Kmart situation,it is your mum that should be responsible as she was the one supposed to be supervising, and I am 100% sure Kmart only gave you $30 as a 'goodwill' gesture to keep you quiet,and I would bet its the first time anyone has ever even asked for that kind of compensation. I have worked in retail for a long time and I can think of several stores where the answer would have been a flat out no followed by laughing at your audacity  when retelling the story in the staff lunchroom later on.

Edited by *sunshine*, 21 November 2007 - 03:03 PM.

#68 ~Elphaba~

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Also, just to correct, this isn't the "general" section.

Just wanted to clarify that.  You know what I'm like.

#69 Rubylicious

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

Kmart are pretty stupid to have those paints open on the bottom shelf and the OP was right to point that out to them and to be annoyed. Nobody is perfect and we all take our eyes off our children occasionally, and those that say they dont well pffft.  rolleyes.gif

The OP's children are her responsibility and not kmarts. If I was a manager of kmart I would use my commonsense, and the fact that the great majority of my customers had children would encourage me to have child friendly lower shelves as much as possible. However they are not legally required to do so. The OP may have the right to be annoyed but she wasnt entitled to be reimbursed for the outfit and kmart could have asked her to pay for the paint that was destroyed.

That being said though, she was obviously upset and in the heat of the moment demanded a new outfit for her daughter. No doubt the fact that she just bought the outfit last week would have made it more upsetting.

I agree that she wasnt right to ask and that kmart probably gave it to her to keep her quiet. But seriously, she was obviously upset and annoyed and I do not think she needs to be crucified. I doubt kmart will miss their lousy 30 bucks.

By the sounds of it the OP is a regular customer and they will more than make that 30 bucks back from her, rather than having lost her as a customer all together. I used to be a retail manager and that is personally how I would have seen it.

Edited by Rubylicious, 21 November 2007 - 03:07 PM.

#70 Guest_TashaLJ_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

mumtoaterror, ok thanks for letting me know it was a joke original.gif

A small note to all, can we keep this a discussion, and no attacks. This has been a very interesing read today original.gif

#71 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

I would have been more annoyed with my mother than with the shop. I would have pointed out to the shop definitely that paints on a low shelf and small children don't mix, but I wouldn't expect them to replace the outfit! I might have considered making my mother replace it though!  wink.gif

I would have chalked up as being 'one of those unfortunate incidents' that we have so many of with kids - not relly anyone's fault, just a 'sh*t happens' moment.

You're probably lucky it was Kmart, I'm pretty sure that if it had been an art/craft shop, it would have been *you* doing the paying, not the shop! Have to agree that they only gave you the voucher to avoid what they probably thought could escalate into a potentially difficult scene.

#72 cookie*monster

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

I can think of several stores where the answer would have been a flat out no followed by laughing at your audacity when retelling the story in the staff lunchroom later on.

I'm thinking this is EXACTLY what happened grin.gif

#73 *-JMT-*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

I think you asked the wrong person for the $30.  rolleyes.gif

#74 PurpleWitch

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

I'd be steering clear of the crystal section in David Jones if I were you.

Rahahahaha!!

Wow, I'd be more annoyed at your mother for not watching her properly around the paints. A mistake you might not make again.

#75 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

OP - With regards to not only the item that your DD got into, but also anything else that could be labelled as a 'child-hazard' and therefore by your reckoning be placed on shelves out of reach - What about adults that suffer from short stature?  I think Dwarfism is the term (open to a PC correction if applicable).  

I'm not short by any stretch of the imagination (5'10") and there have been many times, in many retail outlets that I have been approached to help someone to retrieve something from a higher shelf. Keep in mind, it's not just children that are short in stature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.