61 replies to this topic

#1 pixiefish

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Link to old thread is here

#2 looselipslou

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

GOLD

edit to answer last thread!

* Anyone got any ideas on a cheap way to store EBM? I have been using the bags, but they're so exxy! I'm thinking ice cube trays and then putting the cubes in ziplock Glad bags. What does everyone else do?

I use used 600ml water bottles (or coke bottles).  You can buy smaller ones in backs of 6 (350ml I think).  Way cheaper than buying the whole kit'n'caboodle (what is a kit'n'caboodle anyway).  If they accidentally get thrown out then it's not a biggie, very easy to replace and cheap.  I get a coles water bottle for less than $1.  You can buy the caps in the brew section and replace them also this way the bottle is 'locked and you can tell if it's been opened.  I do have some bags for smaller feeds that I got off ebay that are kind of zip lock ones.  They were cherub ones (if you search)

* How much should I store in one go? I'm doing 'one feed' - about 150 - 170 mL per 'batch'. Is this about right per feed for an 8 month old? I guess I can get more specific on amounts when I see how much she'll drink once I'm settled into work.

EBM will keep for about 3 days in the fridge and I just defrost a 600ml bottle (4 feeds) for when I work the weekend and Dean just pours as he needs it.  If he's not sure if she's really hungry he only pours in about 100ml and will give more if she polishes that off.  NO WASTAGE is allowed lol.  Because I have the water bottles I sometimes freeze smaller amounts for when I need a one off feed.

Humm, a dog on EBM - at least it's protected from most human cold's and flu's that you've already had rofl.

Edited by looselipslou, 27 November 2007 - 02:15 PM.

#3 rebeccabub

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

first Sliver in my thread life biggrin.gif

Asking a dumb question. Do you need to sterilise the ebm bottles? Looselipslou. i am thinking to do the expressing when i get back to work and still try to paint the whole picture of ebm and working.

When i go back, my boy would be six month old, do you use sip cup to give the ebm or bottle? Any one have any idea how much a six month old boy drink in a day?

I am kind of don't know where to start yet. Thanks

#4 looselipslou

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

Howdy there.

No such thing as a dumb question, I still ask them after 3 kids because you just never know what other information/ideas are out there.

I would have no idea how much a 6 months old would have unsure.gif .  Most people just use bottles but I personally prefer to introduce a sippy cup asap and hopefully they'll only use a cup once they hit 12 months.  My eldest 2 didn't use a bottle after 11 months but some kids find the transition harder than others.  My nephew still has a bottle at night at 2.5 years old.  Jamie is using a bottle but she is only 3.5 months old but will give her a sippy cup to play with and when she start to see what it's for, I'll put some BM in it.  

What do you do for a living Rebecca?  Because I started back on weekends at 6 weeks I have been expressing ever since.  You'll work out a way that works for you.

My plan for when Jamie starts at the CCC is that I will drop off about 6 x 600ml bottles of EBM.  One bottle sits in the fridge defrosted and with the one baby bottle I supply, they put in what is needed and if she wants more, they will top it up.  I prefer this way so that if someone thinks she wants a feed but doesn't they do throw out a 150ml bottle when the baby only drank 20ml (because it wasn't hungry after all).

I don't sterilise anything, just good hot soapy water but it's a personal choice with such things.  My mother used to freak when I told her I don't sterilise but now she is thinking that is one of the reason my 11 years old rarely gets sick.

#5 rebeccabub

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

looselipslou

tongue.gif Thank you for your reply. I am an accountant in the corporate sector. Once I go back, I think i have to do the full time though. Will see how I go. you are super mum. Three kids and a job. For me, one is full load already wub.gif Your Jamie is three weeks older than my boy. Rafe was born in 21 of Aug. cool.gif

I haven't tried anything with him yet but my boobs.

#6 clem

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hi

Sleepydwarf - woof ! love the dog yarn   laughing2.gif

I am feeling so much better now we are back from interstate and have access to my insane ebm freezer stash.

reckon might be ableto get to 5 months now and take formula out of mix. just started a few while we were away and it would be nice to go a bit longer

lll how are you ? nice to meet u too rebeccabub

#7 looselipslou

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Not to shabby Clem ol pal.  I do have some formula stick packs here and one of those ready made ones but I think I may have to give the stick packs away as they expire around Christmas time.  One of the other girls at work that had a baby about 9 days after me is using formula now so will have to give them to her.  She starts her first day back this Sunday.  

I just went out and bought a pack of 6x350ml water bottles lol.  Guess what will end up in them.  

Have been really thirsty in the last few days so better make sure I keep up the water intake.  The humidity has really come in now too.

#8 looselipslou

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

Hey Clem - Keep up the good work! grin.gif

#9 pinotgrigio

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

I lost the new thread  wacko.gif
Not much happening though. Oh funny story, probably Sunday morning was lying in bed with DH & DS, we usually bring him into bed with us in the mornings on weekends & he has a nice long feed so I don't have to get up so early ... anyway he feeds, crawls around a bit, climbs over us, feeds a bit more. So he's doing this and he's kind of kneeling over me, then he opens his mouth and lets out this huge roar then faceplants onto my boob for more milk  laughing2.gif  DH and I just cracked up, it was a funniest home videos moment, seriously  tongue.gif

The freezer stash is slowly but surely on its way out - before I was about 3 months up, now it's dropped back to 2 months. I'm only pumping twice a day three days a week and getting about 100-120 ml a day, not much at all (only one boob working now!) and he's having 200 ml 2 days and 100 ml on the one day he's at daycare. He eats so much there he doesn't want his bottles & I'm not about to keep sending EBM there that he doesn't drink. There's only so much I'm prepared to give to the dog  tongue.gif Though I did make some custard with leftovers a while back. Tasted foul but he loved it.

Re sterilising - no I never have, except for the first time I used the pump & bottles. After that hot soapy water. I think ABA says no need to sterilise for EBM.

rebeccabub - DS was 7.5 months when I went back full time. He had 3 x 200 ml bottles to start with (same as missed BFs) but we dropped the lunchtime one fairly early on. We've gradually dropped it down, now just 2 x 100 ml per day, he gets 2 or 3 BF as well still.

Hope everyone is doing well.

#10 whitto04

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

LOL @ Sleepydwarf's DS! Too cute!
Emily's latest trick has been blowing raspberries on any bits of exposed skin- including my (.)(.)
Welcome rebeccabub. No such thing as a silly question, especially on this thread. You might be amazed at how many silly thoughts have gone through my head when I have been attached to my pump! Things like... which pump was invented first, pumps for cows or pumps for us? Were they invented by men or by women?
We started off by using medicine droppers or spoons to get Emily to take EBM. She was a stubborn little thing when I started back at work (she was 7 months old) and it took 6 weeks before she would take a bottle. In those early days, she was hardly having any EBM and my freezer was so full.
Re sterilising- I did with bub #1, but this time around I hardly used my steriliser. In the early days I was sending sterile bottles and formula to daycare (as a back up if Em did manage to drink her EBM and wanted more) but I never really used it for my BM equipment.
With sippy cups- I have spent a fortune on different brands (some expensive ones too!) but still haven't found one that doesn't leak. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Kylie
(breastfeeding and working full time since 11 December 2006)

#11 FiFiLicious

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi guys,
It's been a while since i have posted in hear so for those who don't know me (most of you by the sounds blush.gif )I don't pump anymore but I do still BF and work full time.  Just thought I would pop in and say HI!

Keep it up!  It's so worth it - even now for me, not sure what is going to happen if she weens, I willl be very sad.

#12 *maddierose*

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi Ladies,
I too haven't been in for weeks, life is so hectic and busy with working and the kids.
Ryan has settled into preschool so much better now. We are still trying to work up the stash with not great success, I'm lucky in that i go in my morning tea break and lunch break and give him a quick feed but am finding that I am just upsetting him when I leave as he see's me and thinks we are going home, so I really need that stash so I don't have to go in. Although we did try ebm in a bottle and he wouldn't have it so will perseveere with the cup, he drinks water/juice etc from the cup but isn't too keen on ebm in the cup.

SLEEPY DWARF: That is so funny.

Think his awake so best be off will try and get in more, after christmas life should settle a bit and i should have more time.

#13 pinotgrigio

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hi - where is everyone?? Busy pumping I hope  laughing2.gif

I think I may have to skip a day pumping the week. I have back to back meetings out of the office and then a xmas lunch , then another party (oh yes here's someone who has their priorities right  grin.gif ) before picking up DS from daycare at 5:30. Has anyone missed a day and did anything happen to your supply? I'm hoping to squeeze (!)  a pumping session in between the last meeting and lunch, but as both are away from the office I may not get a chance. But I don't want to do anything to wreck my supply as it seems so low already.

Any advice?

Hope everyone is well

#14 muser

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

hiall,

DS1 and DS2 are going to daycare 2 days from January and I will be starting back at work those days come February. DS2 will be 7months and is currently breastfed. i would like to continue but don't know how to manage the 2 days. My work has nowhere to express. I *could* pop in to feed on my lunchbreak most days but this will be at a different time to our usual routine.
I'm not good at expressing so don't have much stash and am not confident I could keep up with demand on an ongoing basis.

Would a bottle or 2 of formula on those days kill our bf'ing relationship?

#15 looselipslou

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

Howdy all again.  My bloody puter shat itself..but now I am back with a vengance.

Hey muser.  Think positive!  When do you try to express, do you get a let down?  I always keep one pump loaded with bottle attached incase I suddenly get a let down and Jamie isn't about to feed anytime soon and bolt to the fridge and go nuts.  I find that just out of the shower also triggers a let down too.

I am a hairdresser and the only room I have to express in is a small box of a tea room out the back.  Thankfully everyone I work with is very supportive and this is a huge help.  I generally express when on lunch or if about 5 hours has passed I take 15 minutes to do it.  I still do my quota for haircuts (often more) even when I take a little extra to express.  Can you openly discuss with your work mates how expressing works?

Would a bottle or 2 of formula on those days kill our bf'ing relationship?

All I can say is that it never did for me in with the other 2 but really, there is more to a relationship that feeding iykwim. original.gif

#16 Sprungli

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this thread - just wondering, does anyone else only express once a day while at work? And what time do you do it?

I started back a month ago, and usually do a complete express at 11 or 12 (takes about 15mins). Then both sides are really full when I see DD again. But I'm finding some days I can't express as much as I need to and I have to do some more expressing at night after DD has gone to bed.

#17 muser

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:39 AM

Cindy - thanks for the reply.

I haven't had a spontaneous letdown for a long time but I do get letdown on the pump - it just seems to take forever!  The other day DS2 slept through for his afternoon feed so I pumped then and got 120mls. Normally I would only get about 40 or 50.

We have a big documents warehouse at work. I could probably just take a chair down there and sit in the corner pumping away on a tea break.

I know I shouldn't but I find the whole pumping process quite embarassing.  laughing2.gif

#18 ericak138

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hi ladies. I am about to join your sisterhood of the traveling pump (love the name by the way!).

I start back to fulltime work on Jan 2nd.  Bub (my DD2)will be 9mths. I did return to work part time between the girls and was expressing for a month or so, but DD1 would never take a bottle and would just have water and food during the day and her 3 feeds when I was home. She was still feeding overnight at 15mths or more.

This Bub is a bit different and has dropped her overnight feed (well most nights anyway) already.  So I really want her to take EBM.  She is good with a cup with a spout for drinking water, so I will be trying that but will be OK if she prefers a bottle.  No sucess with formula (which I am kinda happy about) she refuses it eat her breakfast if I put it on there too, but she has taken EBM from a bottle.

Slowly building a stockpile but only about 40-50mls a day at the moment after her other feeds.  I'm pretty sure from the experience of last time, that that amount will improve when expressing full "missed" feeds at work.

Daycare don't seem particularly supportive of EBM and suggested formula, but I will see how it all pans out. I don't see that EBM should be any more work for them apart from not being able to zap it in the microwave to heat it.

I look forward to checking in to see how everyone is doing, and maybe some support.

Merry Christmas.

ETA - I too would like to know how often you pump on a fulltime 8am-5.30pm kind of routine away from Bub.  I figure I am missing 2 feeds so I will need to pump twice, but she often has a little snack too, to settle or just because.

Edited by ericak138, 22 December 2007 - 08:42 PM.

#19 pinotgrigio

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hi ericak138
I went back full time when DS was 7.5 months. I started out pumping 3 times a day (working 9-5), so generally around 10/1/4.30 but over time dropped back to twice a day. I ended up only covering 2 feeds from 3 pumps, so was very glad to have a huge freezer stash to fall back on (I also pumped every night before I went to bed) and as the year went on we dropped the lunch time bottle and gradually cut back the size of the other bottles as he started to have more solid food. I think he had about 200 ml x 3 bottles to start with, now at 15 months he has 2 x 100 ml bottles

Its a shame that daycare isn't very supportive -like you say I don't see how it's any more work for them. Maybe they are a bit uncomfortable with the whole expressed milk deal? I'd think as she's your child its up to you to say what she has & if you don't want her to have formula they have absolutely no right to insist on that. It's not like you're asking them to pump milk for her  tongue.gif   Have you tried to explain to them that BF is important to you & the reasons for this & why you aren't going down the formula path? I've heard that quite a few DC centres aren't very clued up on breastfeeding benefits, how to handle EBM & why people choose to continue to BF than switch to formula.

Good luck  original.gif

Kalia - I still pump 2 x per day the main reason being my supply has dropped quite a lot to the point I'm only getting 50 mls each time ( only one side works now, DS went right off the other side & expressing alone wasn't enough to keep it going).

Edited by sleepydwarf, 22 December 2007 - 10:01 PM.

#20 looselipslou

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

Roint - Daycare and EBM - tell them politely, not like I am about to, to 'get their sh*t together'.  If you read the last thread I think I mentioned how it will work with us.

Throw that at them...care givers EBM info.

Expressing and feeling embarrassed-  Hey I am not embarrassed but I don't display it either.  I doubt anyone at work has even seen my boons yet.  I often express and most times they don't even notice.  I just face the corner and cover the pump on boob bit with my hand.  I do wear a BF'ing singlet so when I lift my shirt, you don't see any skin.

Today I worked 10 - 5 and I expressed at lunch (12:30) and again just after finishing work as well as making sure I was completely emptied before leaving for work.  I actually return to 4 day as of tomorrow but not on full days to see if I can keep up and what I may have to do if I don't.

This weekend I have noticed that my supply via expressing has dropped a bit.  Will cut out all caffeine and drink plenty of water.

Edited by looselipslou, 23 December 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#21 ericak138

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Thanks looselipslou - I have printed out that info sheet and will put it in H's lunchbox.  She goes tomorrow for a half day trial run.  I also have an appointment with a family day care lady to see if that kind of care arrangement suits me better.  She seems to be more expensive though - $5.40/h per child with a 9 hr min/day charge. So that's $97.20 per day before any rebate etc for the two kids. Makes me wonder why I am going back.

I will have a spare office to sneak of to when I express. Good on you for making it just a normal thing to do at work - I don't know that I could do that.

I did start to read the last thread - but will need to try again when I have more opportunity.

Thanks again.

#22 ericak138

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

Well tomorrow is the big day - back to work.  Thank goodness for the short week to start.

A couple of last minute questions:
What do you take to transport the milk home?  Just some ice bricks and an insulated bag? I'm only about a 15 min car ride from home.

Do you freeze the milk at work? I was thinking that todays milk will be tomorrows feed and not freezing it each day just freezing any extras and on Fridays.  

Any general tips along these lines appreciated.  Mind you we still haven't had any sucess with getting her to actually drink the expressed milk!

#23 looselipslou

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

Howdy there!

Jamie also started daycare yesterday.

They went though about 600ml though of EBM!  Dean usually goes though about 450ml max when I am at work on Saturday's.  I must get them to write down how much and when they are feeding her.

I transport the EBM in 600ml water bottles in a cooler.  One thawed and one frozen.  I don't freeze the milk at work because I add it all to the 600ml bottle then freeze when full.

She may just take the bottle from the carers, hope so anyways lol.

Unrelated cost of care:- I paid $110 a week for Ronan 3 days and now that Jamie is going (same days) it's only gone up to $176.00.  Centrelink have been told we will be getting $80,000 this year but that just not going to happen.  Would be more like $65,000.

Edited by looselipslou, 01 January 2008 - 04:03 PM.

#24 ericak138

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Oh Crikey 600ml!

I am only sending 100mls tomorrow, I might rethink that tonight and send some frozen cubes for them too.  Once she starts taking it I will stop freezing in small portions, but I hate to waste it now.

#25 looselipslou

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

That was about 8 hours though.  I personally think that they've gone though too much and interested to see how but she was unwell on the week end and not fed much so maybe it was more of a case of 'catching up'.  Jamie generally has no more then 150ml in a serve about every 3-4 hours with Dean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.