#6 Combined Work and Breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 pinotgrigio

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hi everyone, well this is probably goodbye from me  cry1.gif
I haven't been able to get over the bleeding agonisingly painful nipple issues despite medication, cutting back on feeds, not expressing etc & the ABA counsellor I spoke to said it's not going to heal unless I rest it - ie don't feed at all. So DS had his last feed on Monday morning. It was horrible, I kept wanting it to end because I was in agony and had to leave to catch the bus but I didn't want it to end because I knew it was probably the last breastfeed I will ever do.

I know there's a possibility of relactation but I don't know if DS will be interested after a week or so off. He doesn't seem to be missing his boobie at all hasn't asked for it once & has had no problems in settling down at night without it. So maybe it was time anyway. I'm still really sad about it because I thought I'd be able to continue for longer, maybe hit the magical 2 year mark.

I feel a bit lost too, I'm no longer a BF mother - and ever since I've been a mother I've been a BF mother, so I think I'm having an identity crisis too.

Anyway just wanted to update and to thank everyone in here for their support over the past 8-9 months - wow! I managed to be a working pumper for that long!  It wasn't easy at times & this thread has been great for encouragement & motivation, so thank you one and all. Belle special thanks to you - your words of wisdom have been just what I've needed at some of my very low times  original.gif  (OMG this is starting to sound like an oscar acceptance speech, i'll start crying in a minute  tongue.gif )

Good luck to all you sisters who are still pumping & to those of you who are lucky enough not to have to.  wink.gif

#52 looselipslou

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Well, we all have to move on at some stage and sounds like the time is now for you.  Breast feeding has to benefit everyone and with all the boobies problems you're having now, it's not benefiting you original.gif .  Now you have to think about other freedoms that will return now! biggrin.gif If the ABA says it's time to look after yourself that that is what you should do.

You may not feel that this isn't the place for you anymore but no doubt there will be someone new with plenty of 'working and pumping' q's that you are more than qualified to answer, so don't take off all together hey!

#53 Kid_fucius

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi!

I'm just about the join all you lovely ladies. I'm going back to work full-time as of next week ( cry1.gif ) and my DD is still breastfeeding. I won't express during the day because that's not a practical thing to do where I work (I'm in charge of discipline at an "interesting" high school!  grin.gif ) so Gracie's got the option of one bottle of formula during the day, but I think she'll just wait for me to pick her up so she can have her afternoon booby.  dev (6).gif

I'm assuming that she can still have as many feeds as she wants on the weekends and just three a day during the week and I'll be fine. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. She's really not ready to wean - and neither am I!  laughing2.gif Looks like I'll be taking some booby pads and some spare tops to work!

Hope you're all doing well and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Deb

#54 whitto04

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

It's been a while since we all checked in- how is everyone??
I had a rotten virus/cold 2 weeks ago, and my Dr suggested sudafed. I was also doing a week long course, and away from DD for 11-12 hours a day. We got through that ok, but for the past couple of nights DD has been waking me up and feeding lots, swapping sides like there isn't much there. I guess my supply has dropped and she hasn't been happy!
So last night, after she went to bed I got my pump out again. I am now frantically trying to boost my supply, pumping more often and offering a lot more feeds.
How did your return to work go Deb?

#55 caznjj

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:30 AM

I think it might be bye from me - had 2 weeks off at christmas and after that Caelan refused bottles. But I'm able to go all day at work and not feel too uncomfortable.

He's 13 months old now and absolutely adorable - why can't they stay this cute forever????

But my big issue is the approx 1.5 L of EBM in 100-200ml batches in the freezer, what do I do with it? Some of it is getting close to 3mo, should I just tip it all out, how do you do this without feeling guilty?

#56 looselipslou

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

Give it to him in a cup?????  Jamie drinks it out of the cup most times now.  I know what you mean about wasting it!

I had a cold and supply has dropped again.  I am going to send half Formula and EBM (mixed in in my 600ml bottles) to day care while I get my sh*t together again.

Honestly, expressing is starting to do my head in.

Hope everyone else is going good though.

#57 happilou

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Hi,

It has been 3 months since I went back to work? Initially, I was always worried whether there was enough milk for bubba, & I ended up over expressing! Now, I just express twice a day at work… am still bringing the heavy electric Medela Pump in Style advanced (dual pump) to work. Thinking of whether to just take the simple manual pump instead? It’s such a chore bringing two big bags to work everyday  wacko.gif

Caznjj, yeah… I fully BF bubba when we go on holidays, he’ll then struggle with the bottle for a while when we come back. So, I still stick wif the EBM routine everyday & only offer boobie as a comfort or during early morning feeds.

Whitto/ loosesliplou… hope you both are feeling better now. Is Sudafed suitable for BF-ing? I normally take Sudafed for traveling on flights, but was advised against it by my GP. I haven’t fallen sick yet, and hopefully I don’t especially with the crazy weather!  sick.gif My supply did drop when we went on holidays (to Mexico & Gold Coast). The flight to/fr Mexico  (including transfit at LA) was about 24 hours and bubba couldn’t drain the breast. So, supply dropped quite drastically after that. Thank goodness, I’ve still got enough milk for the little one!   hands.gif

#58 looselipslou

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

Well, I think I've found the culprit  - CAFFEINE.  I was drinking a bit more than usual (ran out of decaf) and was struggling to express 100ml at work the other day and now after not drinking it for 2 days, I got 180ml in 10 minutes again????  Conclusions is, unless it's decaf then it's not happening *sigh*, I love iced coffee wub.gif .  

I still only have my Avent manual and I've heard that others get a sore wrist or hand from (almost) full time expressing but I've never had the issue.  Probably has a lot to do with being a hairdresser maybe.

I was told that taking anything to 'dry' up a nose would also dry up the boobs a bit so avoid it unless really really necessary.

#59 caznjj

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

take garlic tablets instead of sudafed original.gif

thanks for the idea of just giving to him in a cup - didn't even think of it to be honest LOL

I'm actually not worried about the fact he's not needing it during the week as he's 13.5mo and still has plenty at night.

#60 Linds

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hi Ladies,

I wonder if you might be able to offer me some advice please?

I am going back to work two days a week next week and I am planning to send my 9 month old DD to daycare with some EBM (She's never had formula before, and cos I'm so close to being able to give her cows milk I just want to keep going with the BF for now).
She'll need two feeds (11am and 3pm) and she doesn't drink much if it's not from the BB's, maybe 60-70 ml at each feed. So, it doesn't sound like a big ask, BUT, I am really struggling to express ANYTHING!! She is in Daycare today, and I am at home and have just tried to express for the first time since breakfast (so you'd think I would be very full), but I only managed to get about 50ml and that was trying both breasts.  I'm worried that trying to do this at work is going to be even harder cos I will probably feel stressed!
Can anyone offer me some advice please? I need help to boost my supply (never had a problem with this before), and with getting a letdown with expressing. I tried to do it in a quiet room, with a photo of DD in front of me, but it didn't help.   Any tips would be most appreciated!
Many thanks.
Thanks

#61 happilou

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi Linds,

Expressing milk comes with practice (at least fr personal experience). I've heard many mums who generally BF baby having problems expressing. I guess it's because the way the baby sucks is different fr the machine! Prob, you could try a few more times & see whether things improve. Ur DD drinks about 60-70ml, so expressing 50ml on ur 1st instance is not too bad at all  original.gif I also find that leaving the pump on for longer than usual (i normally take 15mins on a dual suction pump) on my "drier" days will give me more milk. Getting a good pump helps as well... I use Medela  wink.gif

Btw, when can u start feeding cows milk? Thanks

#62 Linds

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. Just picked DD up from daycare and gave her a BF as soon as we got home  smile1.gif

Apparently she had around 60 mls at lunchtime, but also had morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea, so filled up on solids! I think I might be able to manage by expressing enough for one feed around lunchtime, so hopefully we'll get by. She should be moving towards dropping from 4 feeds to 3 soon anyway.

I believe cows milk is fine to give them around 12 months, but I might start her on it a bit before, so I can give her cows milk on the daycare days, and then BF the rest of the time.

If anyone else has any letdown tips I would love to hear them!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.