CASUAL vs Permanent part time?? Whats the difference!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 muppet

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Hiya,

Just wondering if any one out there knows basically what the legal differences are between a "Casual" postion and a "Permanent Part time" postion?? Ie what exactly are you eligable for or entitled too under either??

I know a Casual is generally paid a higher rate per hour as they don't get sick leave nor do they get paid holiday.

I had a feeling that to be classed as "Permanent part time" you had to be working so many hours per week?

Also if your "casual" I am guessing that your employee could change your shifts around each week, where as permanent part time they are the same shifts?? With Casual they could also not actually have to give you any during their quiet peroids??

TIA

Alexandra

#2 *sunshine*

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

Need more info to be specific (like a job title/description/award you are under)

But generally speaking casual means you are 'on call' so can be asked to do a shift at very short notice, you are expected to make yourself reasonable available over usual working hours of the week.
They can also call you up and ask you not to work within 2 hrs of your shift start time if they no longer need you.
Its also slightly easier to terminate a casual's employment.

I know a Casual is generally paid a higher rate per hour as they don't get sick leave nor do they get paid holiday.

That is correct.

With Casual they could also not actually have to give you any during their quiet peroids

Depends on the industry and award agreement, I know in my award the bare minimum they MUST give is 3hrs a month (yes really,only 3 hrs) This rarely happens unless you are an exceptionally poor worker though.

as "Permanent part time" you had to be working so many hours per week?

Again depends on the industry.In mine,if you are casual and you do the exact same shifts for 6 months and have a reasonable expectation of ongoing work then your job description changes to PPT.

At a previous work place you had to do a minimum of 10hrs per week to qualify to be PPT.

PPT means paid sick leave,paid holidays and also the security of regular shifts which they cannot cancel on you (unlike if you are casual) although this goes both ways in that its not so easy to ask for a day off as it is if you are casual.

If I were offered PPT,I'd take it in a heartbeat (I am in a casual position ATM)

Here is a bit of info I found for you (on a WA govt site,so may not apply to allstates but has a good explantion of defintion of a casual employee)
The bold is mine though.

Is the employment permanent or casual?
There can be confusion over whether employment should be classified as permanent or casual. The following points highlight the employment characteristics of casual employees:

recognised as casuals from the beginning of their employment;
usually work for short periods of time on an irregular basis with the actual hours varying for week to week;
employed and paid by the hour and do no receive annual leave or sick leave;
do no have consistent starting or finishing time, or regular hours of work;
generally contacted regularly and asked to work, rather than just knowing when they are required;
have no expectation of ongoing work; and
are free to refuse offers of work at any time due to other commitments.IME however,the more you refuse,the less work you'll be offered

Permanent employment is different from casual employment.  Permanent employees have an on-going relationship with their employer that is regular and systematic.  They are engaged for a fixed number of hours or days each week or fortnight, have an expectation of ongoing work, and receive benefits such as annual leave and sick leave on a proportionate basis to the number of hours they work.

Edited by *sunshine*, 29 November 2007 - 07:14 PM.

#3 ilovecream

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

In my workplace, if you are casual for 12 months continuously you are entitled to unpaid maternity leave.

#4 LittleMissPink

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Im a casual and I get a casual loading on top of my hourly wage. I dont get holiday pay, sick leave, and dont get paid for any days off I take.

I work the same 3 days a week, and the same hours. 21 hours a week, wed/thu/fri. I am not on call. I know when I am going to be working, as my times do not change. I am on a 3 month contract with the company, which has just been extended another 3 months. This will continue until I am put on permanant (just waiting for the boss' approval-local government)

I guess for all intents and purposes I am basically PPT, but paid a casual rate with casual loading.

#5 Amysha

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

I was a casual employee once. Got a higher rate of pay, no sick leave, no annual leave entitlements, no public holiday pay. Basically you get paid for exactly what you work. I did get paid Superannuation though. I had regular set hours, I guess that would depend on the job/workplace requirements. Being a casual meant I was not a permanent employee so my employment could be terminated at any time without reason/cause or notice....and it was in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.