Fenugreek. Does it work??

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Luv from Mumma

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

I've been advised that Fenugreek can help in increasing milk supply. Has it worked for you?

I'd love some feedback before I go ahead and stock up on the capsules.

Are there any side effects? I hear it can give migraines. Is this true? I suffer from migraines.

Thanks for your help!!!

#2 jellybeans

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

Fenugreek did increase my milk supply. With fenugreek, when you are taking 'énough' you can smell a sweet curry smell from your body.  I didn't have any other side effects apart from the smell.  I can't remember the dosage but your local maternal health nurse or local maternity hospital will be able to give you more info. From memory it is not very expensive.  Good luck.

#3 judyc

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

I found Fenugreek increased my supply, no side effects.
All the best. smile1.gif

#4 Luv from Mumma

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Ladies! What the hell, I've gone and ordered some. Finger's crossed they work for me too.

Merry Xmas!!!

#5 rubee

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

It worked amazingly for me from the first day - I took 3 a day (morning, lunch, dinner) for about 2 months and then my DS started to eat more solids so I stopped taking it!

#6 mandalou

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

I started the fenugreek about 2 months ago, no side effects at all, just the sweet smell !!! My DS nappies smell very sweet !! I think it worked for me although not 100%, i just don;t want to stop taking it incase it decreases my supply !!! I'm also not sure if I"m taking enough I take 5 x 1000mg capsules a day.

Good luck & let us know how you go !!

#7 feistyhorsegal

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

I just got some Fenugreek capsules. They contain 529mg each and the package says I've got to take 2 capsules 3 times a day, so basically more than 3000mg a day! ohmy.gif  Does everyone who's tried it take the full dose, or can you cut down after a while? Do you have to keep taking it forever or does it just give you a boost and then you can keep your supply up yourself? How quickly should I see an improvement? I've taken it once today at lunchtime - no improvement yet! laughing2.gif Also does anyone know the cheapest place to buy them - I got them from a health food store and they were $23 for 100.Also has anyone had any problems with it working too well - ie engorgement or extremely full breasts? I only ask this as in the early days I had oversupply problems - complete opposite to the problem I'm having now! Also does it increase your sex drive? I just had a look on ebay and some international sellers were selling it as a tool to increasing your sex drive & others said for breast "enlargement"!

Edited by feistyhorsegal, 15 December 2007 - 02:23 PM.

#8 midnight

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hi
Here are some Guidelines for using Fenugreek that we give to our Mums.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GUIDELINES WHEN USING FENUGREEK TO INCREASE MILK SUPPLY

1.   Use Natures Own 1000mg Fenugreek

2.   Ignore directions on label. Take 2 capsules three times a day. Dosage can be increased to improve effectiveness eg 3-4 capsules three times a day. Maximum 15 capsules a day. If a higher dose is required a Herbalist needs to be consulted.

3.   Fenugreek will take  24 - 72 hours to be effective.

4.   If the breasts become uncomfortably full, Fenugreek can be reduced to half the dose ie – 1 capsule three times a day. When the breast fullness settles, slowly increase to 6 per day.

5.   If you are Diabetic, asthmatic, have an allergy to peanuts or taking an anticoagulant discuss using Fenugreek with the midwife / herbalist prior to commencing.

6.   Discuss with the midwife the importance of breastfeeding management,diet,rest,fluid intake and expressing your breasts to increase supply.

7.   Fenugreek should be avoided during pregnancy.

8.   Fenugreek can be gradually reduced and ceased when supply is boosted. It can be recommenced if necessary. Follow up with the clinic Nures is recommended.

9.   Due to fenugreeks high fibre content, some mothers may experience diarrhoea. This resolves quickly when the dose is reduced or ceased.

10.   Fenugreek can produce an odour similar to maple syrup on the skin. When you notice this odour you are on the right dose,a small number of mothers have reported breast refusal, which resolved when fenugreek was ceased.

11.   It is recommended to visit a Naturopath / Herbalist / Homeopath for further guidance when taking herbs during Breastfeeding.

Guildlines based on articles by Rima Jensen MD and Kathleen Huggins RN,MS.
Reference ~~ Jensen,R [1992]  Fenugreek, Overlooked but not forgotten. UCLA Lactation Alumni Newsletter 1 , 2- 3.
Huggins, Kathleen  Fenugreek : One Remedy for Low Milk Production  

#9 feistyhorsegal

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

midnight Thanks for the information. I already bought Nature's Sunshine brand from the health food shop. Its got 529g per capsule so do you think I should take 4 capsules 3 times a day? Thanks for the forewarning about the diarrhoea, and the breast refusal.
Here are some Guidelines for using Fenugreek that we give to our Mums
  Are you a herbalist or naturopath?

#10 midnight

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

Are you a herbalist or naturopath?
No I am a Midwife.
Since it is approx half the dose we reccommend - doubling it might help.
All the best.

#11 feistyhorsegal

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:56 PM

Wow! My boobs feel quite full already after 1 dose! And I can already smell it on my skin, although I reckon it smells more like curry than maple syrup, like one of the pp says. Midnight I think I will just stick to the dosage on the packet for now, as I'm already feeling the effects! Unless its all in my mind of course. laughing2.gif

#12 Guest_dixiebelle_*

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for posting those Guidelines, midnight... I am just about to start taking Fenugreek to help get my supply in, and that was extremely useful info! Let's hope I have as good a response as FHG did! BTW, Feisty, how are you going with it now?

#13 feistyhorsegal

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

They definitely do work for me. I'm on the Nature's Own ones now (1000mg) and take 2 - 4 a day. Usually I forget to take them at lunch and dinner! But my supply is good now, even when I only remember to take 2 at breakfast!

Edited by feistyhorsegal, 28 January 2008 - 02:12 PM.

#14 kristabelle01

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

I've been taking Natures Own Fenugreek for about a month now and it definately did work for me - the difference was obvious - poor DD nearly drowned in all the milk at first laughing2.gif  I take 2 capsules 3 x a day and am now cutting down. Doesnt seem to have affected my supply. Of course I am keeping up the water/rest/good food thing as well - good luck! original.gif

#15 ~Jules~

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

Not sure if this will help anyone or not, but the information given to me by my health nurse suggested to take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds rather than capsules.  Much cheaper (about $2 per 100g from supermarket) and apparently just as effective.  I took a couple of heaped teaspoons a day - but was also on motilium - so can't say if/which worked, except that I had a lot of BF probs early on, but DS is still BFing now at 13 mths!

The recommendation was simply to swallow them with water, like tablets, so you avoid the having to drink it like tea - no taste, and v.quick and easy.

#16 thislittlepiggy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

teaspoon of fenugreek seeds

(about $2 per 100g from supermarket)

Where abouts in the supermarket?

#17 Nayetti**

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

Fenugreek seeds are in the section with herbs and spices....

#18 thislittlepiggy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

Fenugreek seeds are in the section with herbs and spices....

Thanks for that  original.gif

#19 katlet

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

I am having supply issues right now (like you feistyhorsegal, at the beginning I had oversupply issues and now I have low supply!) and instead of buying fenugreek, I bought milk thistle. Apparently it does the same thing (except it's also good for your liver too!) but it's not as known. It's a lot cheaper and you don't need to take as much. I've only just started today, so I'm not sure of the effects yet, but I was but off fenugreek because I was worried my DS would reject the milk if it tasted different, and then I'd end up with mastitis.

#20 ~Jules~

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, as Nayetti said, fenugreek is with the herbs and spices.  May not be in all supermarkets - I couldn't find it at my Woollies - but found that my local IGA has it, as I said, $2 for a 100g bag.

#21 motherofp

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

I dont think it is "milk thistle" but it is called "blessed thistle" you can get it from health food shop. I dont think milk thistle is the right one. wub.gif

#22 katlet

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

I just googled it and milk thistle is the same as blessed thistle. original.gif

#23 motherofp

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:27 AM

ok that's great! Someone in chemist had told me differently, great keep taking! laughing2.gif

#24 --descentia--

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

I had to wean myself off fenugreek as the smell made me ill. Ever since being pregnant my sense of smell is insanely acute and it makes me want to vomit Tounge1.gif I still take two tablets once a day though atm and Willows poos still smell funny.

#25 Callistra

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

I was wondering if this means I should make more curries!
:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.