I gave birth on the toilet floor at home!!!!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 xaylmz

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

My EDD was the 18th Dec, exactly one week before Christmas.   The day before my EDD I was on the phone to a GF feeling sorry for myself that I‚€™d be 40wks the next day.  DS#1 had arrived 1wk early so I thought that this baby might make an appearance a couple of days early but I still hadn‚€™t had any labour signs.  I was beginning to think that my EDD would pass by and that this baby would wait until after Christmas before entering the world, and we had been telling our 3yo DS#1 throughout the pregnancy that the baby would be born and then not long after it would be Christmas   laugh.gif !  

That night I had a bloody show at 11pm, finally I thought YAY this baby might just arrive in time for Christmas, though I thought I‚€™d have a few days up my sleeve still as I didn‚€™t go into labour with DS#1 until 4 days after my show.

That night (now the 18th Dec) I woke at 2.45am with contractions 2-3mins apart, lasting for 40-50secs, the pain being most noticeable in my lower back.  I wasn‚€™t particularly concerned and just thought I‚€™d see what happened thinking that the contractions would probably ease off after 20mins or so.  I spent the next hour up and down out of bed, using a heat pack on my back and sitting on the toilet, as I kept feeling like I needed to pee and it was the most comfortable position to be in  laugh.gif  !!!  

So at 3.45am, after an hour of constant contractions, I decided I‚€™d better wake up DH by telling him that he wouldn‚€™t be going to work that day, he responded with a ‚€œwhy not‚€Ě  rolleyes.gif ummm errrr ‚€œI‚€™m in labour‚€Ě I told him.  That got him out of bed quick smart  laughing2.gif !  The contractions were becoming more intense by this stage and I asked DH to run me a bath, phone the hospital and my parents (who were going to come over and look after DS#1 for us).  I was hoping that the warmth of the bath would help with the back pain.  One thing I really wanted to experience during labour was the benefits of a warm bath as I didn‚€™t get the opportunity with DS#1‚€™s labour.  Well what a site it was!  The bath in the unit we are renting is tiny!  Of course I knew this, but I didn‚€™t care I just wanted some relief from the contractions!  DH thought it was quite funny me being squished into the teeny tiny bath, the water didn‚€™t even come over my belly  ohmy.gif   laughing2.gif !!!!  The bath did bugger all LOL, just made me uncomfortable cause I couldn‚€™t fit in it hehehe!!!   While I was in the bath we timed my contractions again, they were coming every 1-1.5mins apart and also lasting for about 1-1.5mins in length.  

At 4.16am DH phoned the hospital to let them know we‚€™d be coming in soon.  The midwife DH spoke to said that they were very busy and that if I was managing at home to stay home for as long as I could and to make our way to hospital when I felt like I needed pain relief or if my waters broke.  This was fine as the hospital is literally only a couple of blocks away from our home.  Almost as soon as DH had finished telling me what the midwife said I had the most painful contraction  ohmy.gif .  I jumped out of the bath and ran to the toilet, my comfy position again!  I must have woke up DS#1 at this point as I heard DH talking to him.  Time to go to the hospital, I needed pain relief now!

By now it was 4.23am.  While I was in the toilet DH rang my parents.  They only live 5mins away so we knew they wouldn‚€™t take long to arrive then DH & I would head to the hospital.  I had no idea how I would get off that toilet seat and into the car now!  DS#1 had grabbed a decoration off the Christmas tree and was running around the house singing ‚€˜jingle bells‚€™ having a great time.  I was worried that I might scare him as I didn‚€™t expect to be having such intense labour pains at home and I wasn‚€™t exactly quiet  blush.gif !!  I wonder what the neighbours thought was going on   laughing2.gif !!!  DS#1 came into the toilet several times to ask if I was ok and give me kisses.  I asked him if he knew what was happening and he said ‚€œyou‚€™re having a baby mummy hahahaha‚€Ě it was sooo funny!!  He was very excited  grin.gif !

My parents walked in the door to me calling out to DH to phone an ambulance.  DH said ‚€œI can drive you quicker than the ambulance will take to get here‚€Ě.  I yelled at him ‚€œI can‚€™t get in the car, I can feel the baby‚€™s head‚€Ě!!  DH phoned for an ambulance, it was 4.38am.  As he hung up the phone I had pushed our baby‚€™s head out :ohmy: !  I then thought holy crap how am I going to do this, I didn‚€™t want to push the rest of my baby out while I was still on the toilet  oomg.gif !  

My mum was standing in our laundry, next to the toilet and I asked her to grab me some towels which luckily there were some in the dryer for easy access.  She put them on the toilet floor for me.  I knelt down on the towels and with another push our baby was born at 4.40am  wub.gif , caught just in time by DH & my mum!  My dad was keeping DS#1 occupied in the lounge room.  DH told me we had another son  wub.gif , we hadn‚€™t found out the sex of this bub during the pregnancy though I thought the whole way along that it would be another boy and I was pleased that my instincts were right, not to mention that DS#1 only wanted a brother LOL!    I have no idea at what point that my waters broke as I didn‚€™t feel or notice any gush of fluid, it was probably while I was pushing on the toilet!  Our baby boy was covered in meconium and the sack was covering his face.  DH lifted the sack off our baby‚€™s face and although his heart was beating he hadn‚€™t taken a breath yet.  DH rubbed our baby‚€™s back and kept saying ‚€œcome on baby breathe, come on baby breathe‚€Ě  hands.gif and cleared out our baby‚€™s mouth.  I just wanted to hear that first cry.  A few minutes later our baby started crying, what a relief, it was an intense few moments!  

While I cuddled our baby boy I asked DH to go and get the camera and take a couple of pics to prove that I had given birth to DS#2 on the toilet floor hehehe!!!  The ambulance paramedics then arrived, stunned that I had already given birth!  After one of the paramedics cut DS#2‚€™s cord (he did ask if any of us wanted to do it but there wasn‚€™t any room for anyone else on the toilet floor  laugh.gif ), they wrapped our baby boy up ready to go to hospital to be checked over.   I then got into my dressing gown and DS#2 and I headed to the hospital in the ambulance.

When we arrived at the hospital the midwife that greeted us was the same one that spoke to DH on the phone, she was a bit shocked that I‚€™d given birth at home, not expecting me to have done so and asked me what happened  laughing2.gif !  I had a 2nd degree tear which required stitches, but otherwise both DS & I were absolutely fine!!!  I delivered the placenta at hospital and I decided to stay in hospital rather than go back home, but I felt like a bit of a fraud staying when I‚€™d given birth at home!  I knew that the rest would do me good though and I was concerned about breastfeeding and wanted to make sure I had help on hand over the first few days as I‚€™d had trouble BF DS#1 even though I BF him for 6mths.  All the hospital staff were fantastic and were all keen to hear about how DS#2 was born at home!  We returned home 3 days later.

It was 1hr 55mins from when I woke up with those first contractions to when DS#2 was born.  It went by so quickly and I certainly wasn‚€™t expecting labour to be so quick, let alone give birth at home and on my baby‚€™s due date!  Although it was unexpected to give birth at home, it was actually a pleasant experience, I think because it was so quick, and there was no medical intervention!  It certainly was a different experience to DS#1‚€™s labour and birth.  Both DH & I believe that this ‚€˜home birth‚€™ was an amazing experience and thankfully our baby boy was born safely and healthy and that there were no complications for either of us  grin.gif .

wub.gif  Welcome to the world my precious baby boy  wub.gif
Khodi William Alan
Tues 18th December 2007
3620grams
Length 51cm
HC 34cm

Photos taken a couple of minutes after Khodi was born.

Edited by laughalot, 18 February 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#2 ~*~Jacqui~*~

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

OMG!!  I'm crying!!

Congratulations on the safe & very interesting arrival of Khodi!

Gorgeous baby, gorgeous name and gorgeous story for him to hear  wub.gif

#3 ~ Cez ~

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

Congratulations on the birth of Khodi! I had to giggle at you wanting pictures to prove you gave birth on the toilet floor!! *hehe* Glad he arrived safely!

#4 Alina0210

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

wow well done....

#5 Kafkaesque

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

How amazing! I would give anything to have a home birth. Unfortunately no more babies are planned from me sad.gif

Glad he made a safe yet speedy arrival.

#6 Tealdash

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

Wow!!! What a story!! You seemed so calm throughout it all!! original.gif original.gif

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!!!! original.gif original.gif

Nic

#7 cuddlymumof4

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

wow what an amazing story. So glad that all went well though.

Anna

#8 MSAB

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

What an amazing story! Congratulations!!!!  wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif

Good thinking on taking some pictures! What a great memory to have!

#9 cinnabubble

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

I don't normally read birth stories, but this one made me weepy.

Damn those breastfeeding hormones  cry1.gif .

#10 ~Yaz~thewitch~

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

Bec, great story!
And I thought I was the only one in our DIG having a homebirth!
Congratulations and well done!

#11 ~*~mumzlilcookie~*~

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

Congratulations..a beautiful story.glad everything turn out ok.. wub.gif  wub.gif

#12 40+

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

What a wonderful birth & birth story!

Enjoy your babymoon hheart.gif

#13 Crazymum2Crazykids

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

OMG you gave me goose bumps..... totally cool that you gave birth at home! I ALMOST birth at home but the midwife told DH to bring me up to the hospital NOW as Courtney was my 5th baby,she was born with in half an hour of arriving at the hospital.  blush.gif

Congrats on the birth of your son!

#14 Firey

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

Wow that is an amazing story!

#15 ~muddleheaded-wombat~

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

wow! Congratulations on a safe and unexpected home birth.

Also a gorgeous name!!

#16 ratbags

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

Congratulations on the birth of gorgeous Khodi, well done on the homebirth! grin.gif

Jacinda

#17 dani141

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

Congratulations on the birth of gorgeous Khodi, Well done!!!
Wow, your birth story sounds much better told by you. laughing2.gif
I think those photos are just devine.

#18 Tongue~In~Cheek

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

What a wonderful birth story.  I had a lump in my throat while reading it.  Glad everything turned out so well.

#19 1974angela

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

Wow, congratulations!
I am glad you got some pics, they will be perfect for "show and tell" in a few years time! LOL
Well done, enjoy your new bub.

#20 X-mum

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

Wow, what a story!!!

I particularly liked the part about DS1 waking up and running around singing "jingle bells"  LOL!   laughing2.gif

#21 *Lis*

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:33 AM

Congratulations !!

Edited by *Lis*, 13 June 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#22 Quattuor Genitrix

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:17 AM

biggrin.gif !! Congratulations to you Bec, Adam & Corbin on the arrival of Khodi !! biggrin.gif

What an amazing birth story Bec, you should be so very proud of yourself and DH.  I hope Corbin is adjusting well to Khodi? I can't believe you delivered at home, bummer I was not on when you called!

Enjoy your Babymoon!

Jade

#23 Guest_Chadvikise_*

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

Congratulations on the birth of Khodi. I agree, it's an exciting birth story.

He shares his birthday with my not so little anymore baby boy Seth  :biggrin:

#24 VRM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:47 AM

Congratulations!!!  Welcome to the world Khodi, may you have a blessed life.  Thank-you for sharing your amazing birth story, I will go off to work on a high  original.gif .  Enjoy all the newborn moments  wub.gif .

#25 kar02

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

Wow! Great story! Congratulations on the birth of your son.
My husband and I sat here together and read it - remembering bits and pieces of our 5 week old son's birth too! Thankyou for sharing it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.