Sunscreen

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#26 blissfulqueenb

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

Yea, thanks Macymoo, I discovered that also.   They were pretty cagey about it when I was investigating though!

Damn it. I'm so frustrated.

#27 amog

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

we use UV Natural Baby

#28 blissfulqueenb

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

UV Naturals has Nano-zinc, unfortunately  sad.gif

#29 precious1

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

I am also following with interest and appreciating your efforts in researching this area...  biggrin.gif
I have been using the Vrindavan Natural Suncare one - however after reading the ingredients I am not sure what is active in blocking the sun. Oh and it smells divine - usually another reason it may not be that effective in blocking the sun blush.gif I cannot find the tube to let you know of the ingredients ATM but their site is www.vrindavanbodycare.com - if that helps. It seems to work but I try to avoid the sun during the main times so may not be a good test of it's ability.

Keep up the good work...

#30 blissfulqueenb

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

Thanks so much for that Peta.  that's one I haven't heard of or tried.  I've emailed them for a list of ingredients, including preservatives and information on the type of zinc (if they do infact use zinc).

Bye for now  biggrin.gif

#31 Taurean

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hi Carla not sure if you have checked out some of these sunscreens.

http://www.organicsaustraliaonline.com.au/category135_1.htm

#32 liat

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Lavera sunscreens are supposed to be excellent organic paraben free products that specifically don't use the nano particles but I think they do use both zinc and titanium oxide. They have three baby products that I am eyeing out..

They have not yet been approved for Australia but I contacted the local distributor it looks like they will be going through the process and hopefully will soon be available over here. I can't wait.

Edited by liat, 23 April 2008 - 12:02 PM.

#33 liat

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hmm, according to this http://action.foe.org/dia/organizationsORG...ontent_KEY=3060
UV Naturals doesn't use the nanoparticle zinc! Where did anyone read that they do?

#34 kissy10

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

HI Guys,

As a huge researcher of natural ingredients for cosmetic use, Sesame oil has an SPF of 8. If you make up your own lotion/creme & add zinc, you will be on a winner. Zinc can be bought from aromatheraphy suppliers, pm me for more details.

Aloe doesn't offer any sun protection as far as I know, but is excellent in the event of sunburn or overexposure.

We use UV natural & love it.

#35 blissfulqueenb

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for that new info Liat and Kissy10. I hadn't seen that info yet Liat so will add FOE to my list of interesting websites.   original.gif

It was me that found something about UVnaturals having nano-particles (can't remember where) but I see that the  "free of nano" listing on that Friends of the Earth site has recently been updated and now includes UVNaturals whereas before it didn't. Perhaps the info I read was out of date?

#36 blissfulqueenb

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

I asked Neways for more detailed info regarding the paraben preservatives (hydrobenzoates) in their sunscreen and received this today. Whilst I don't agree, I do appreciate that they took the time to formulate a considered response

Hello Carla,

Neways do still have parabens in a handful of products,the Sunbrero being one. Parabens are being removed from our formulas due to the contraversey surrounding them. Neways have never felt the parabens posed a problem in the products, in the way the ingredient/s was used.
I'm not aware of parabens being banned so can't comment on that.
Please see the attached regarding the parabens.

Regards
Noela.

and here's the attached document she mentions:

We are moving towards a paraben free range. In line with researching the research we are tweaking our formulas all the time. People are not aware that some of our formulas contain 'naturally' occurring parabens. In other words they are in the formulas as part of an externally sourced ingredient. In most cases they are in minute parts i.e.. 'x' amount of parts per million. But because they are there, the law requires us to list them.

Some companies boast 'no added' parabens, that may be true, however, when we have tested these products they do indeed carry them. Clever advertising! Others who have tried the no preservative system and have had up to 80% re-call due to the product 'going off' within 6 months.  

Back to Neways. Our formulas are quite delicate and can become unstable when changed.  Stability testing needs to be carried out and this takes time. Also when finally stable they often need to be re-registered. This all takes time. We also have to consider, stock, labels, forecasting and so this is never an overnight quick change process. We are almost there with almost all our products but cannot denounce that we are paraben free until every single one is in fact 'legitimately free' that includes parts per million that may occur naturally in some supplied ingredients.

In saying all this we are not convinced that Parabens are in deed as 'harmful' as the propaganda dictates. However in light of our Company mission we are acting responsibly and will be paraben free in the near future.

Please find a link to an interesting article below:

The article is a review by the EU Scientific Committee of the research that identified parabens in breast tissue, with subsequent jumping to the conclusion that parabens enter the breast via underarm deodorants and cause breast cancer.  The review clearly refutes the link with deodorants (blood actually travels away from the breast to the lymph nodes) and also identifies failings in the test methods and protocols.  A link to the article is below.

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

Shortcut to: http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committ.../sccp_o_00d.pdf

As you can see there are varying scientific finds, and opinion is divided. Trust this helps.

Best regards, Rick Arnold
Neways Sales and Marketing Manager

#37 larabelle75

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

Is Soleo Organics sunscreen ok to use?

#38 blissfulqueenb

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

Larabelle, Soleo has the nano-zinc, and we are avoiding that as well.

Here's the blurb on the Soleo:
UV-A and UV-B and is made using ONLY organic and naturally sourced ingredients, according to Naturopathic principles for wholistic health and well-being.  It is suitable for children of all ages.

A healthy choice:
NO chemical UV-absorbers
NO synthetic preservatives
NO titanium dioxide
NO benzoates
NO petrochemicals
NO artificial fragrances
NO artificial flavours

Because Soléo Organics products only contain organic and naturally sourced ingredients they are ideal for young children, people with sensitive skin and those who are simply health conscious.

Soleo Organics formulations use the revolutionary nanofine zinc technology to provide comprehensive sun protection, without leaving your skin white.

But the great news is that I've found this one:

http://www.avadoorganics.com/
Click on that link and then choose the baby range, then the "view" link. It looks PERFECT! And it's not even a million dollars to buy. I've sent off for some further information now and will report back.  original.gif

and this one from that link you provide Lavene:

WOTNOT Sunscreen - 115ml
Our 30+ SPF sunscreen is 100% natural, free from Titanium dioxide and provides broad spectrum protection against uv-a and uv-b. Our formula includes certified organic aloe vera and macadamia oil. All Natural (even our preservative).

So what makes WOTNOT Sunscreen the #1 natural sunscreen available in Australia?

* Contains only natural and certified organic ingredients
    * We disclose ALL ingredients not just key ingredients, so you know exactly what you are getting.
    * Titanium free – titanium dioxide can create the skin condition miliaria, causing inflamed sweat glands and heat rash.
    * Provides broad spectrum protection against UV-A and UV-B
    * Self preserving – no artificial preservative
    * Beautiful texture, no separation formula, easy to apply
    * TGA approved
    * Excellent value
    * Australian made and owned

WOTNOT Sunscreen contains
Grapeseed Oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, macadamia oil*, candellila wax, beeswax, carnauba wax, shea butter, gmo-free vitamin e, purified water, green tea extract, aloe vera*, natural fragrance.
Active : zinc oxide

I'm just writing to them now to discover whether the zinc oxide is nano/micronised or not. Their other products aren't available til early June, so I'm wondering if this is alread y available.

Edited by blissfulqueenb, 18 May 2008 - 07:36 AM.

#39 precious1

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Carla,
Looking forward to hearing the details on that other one - Avado biggrin.gif
Also Mukti Botanicals have a suncreen moisturiser SPF15. It is a smaller bottle so would be more for your face etc. I have used it and it is awesome. I use a lot of Mukti but am not sure of whether it has the nanoparticles as well.
Might be worth checking out. It almost looks tinted due to the zinc but goes on well and is not greasy at all.
Not the go to the beach and smother on the kids type of product though sad.gif Still need some of that and hope that one you found will do that  grin.gif
Keep up the great work!

#40 blissfulqueenb

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Oh well, looks like WotNot sunscreen is out of the race if you are avoiding Nano-zinc.  Just received this reply from my enquiry.

Dear Carla

Thank you for your email, and the interest you have shown in our Sunscreen.  The Zinc Oxide is nano zinc, measuring 30 nanometers.  If you would like any further information on nano-zinc, please let us know.

As yet, we don't have a stockist in WA, but you can purchase the Sunscreen online through us (the freight is FREE) and you will automatically get entered into the competition.

If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a great day.

Kind regards
Sioned

I'll keep waiting to hear from Avado (missed her return call on my mobile unfortunately, so have phoned again) and will fire off an email to Mukti too. Are there any contact details on the box Precious1?  I can always google, though!

#41 blissfulqueenb

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

Yep, the Avado is out too  cry1.gif

Took me three emails to get a straight answer, but finally was advised (rather abruptly in the end) that the zinc is nano.

Edited by blissfulqueenb, 27 August 2009 - 12:26 AM.

#42 precious1

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

On no - that is awful about Avado. I was really hoping there was one out there somewhere  cry1.gif
Carla, here is the link to the Mukti one I mentioned http://www.muktibotanicals.com.au/shop/ind...uct&id=41&cat=4

Unfortunately as mentioned it is a small bottle. However if it is suitable it might be worth seeing if you can buy it in bulk maybe??

#43 blissfulqueenb

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

Thanks Peta, I have just emailed Mukti   original.gif

Edited by blissfulqueenb, 28 May 2008 - 05:53 PM.

#44 blissfulqueenb

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hi Peta

The Mukti got back to me already. Their reponse is below:

Hi Carla,

Unfortunately at this stage we only make the sunscreen in the 30ml size, but Mukti is working on a larger size for the future.
In response to your query, the Zinc oxide is uncoated Micronised
Average particle size 0.1 micron  

Regards
Team Mukti

The 30ml bottle won't go far  biggrin.gif

#45 precious1

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

Carla,
Does that mean it is the good stuff though?
Uncoated Micronised is that nano zinc?

I am glad you know what you are doing  grin.gif

Oh and yes I have always found them very efficient  biggrin.gif

#46 blissfulqueenb

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

Peta, oh, I don't know. I've been hearing so much conflicting stuff - depends who you ask and which report you read TBH.

I'd definitely go for the micronised before I'd go for nano (micronised is a larger particle than nano is), but for my own personal peace of mind, I'd rather avoid both!!

When I questioned a particular company about it recently, their reply was:

Just to let you know that for zinc to be absorbed into the body the particle size would have to be less than 0.1 nanometers, which is 300 times smaller than any commercial grade zinc used in sunscreens.

and this is what the TGA have approved also, HOWEVER as someone who doesn't just blindly accept what these regulatory bodies put out (after all, they approve Vaccines!), this doesn't put my mind at rest.

At this stage, I'd probably be happy with micronised.  It seems to be the best of the bunch.

Cheers
Carla

#47 blissfulqueenb

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

OMG OMG OMG

I think I've found it!

http://products.mercola.com/summer-survival-kit/?source=nl

Edited to say; The postage is just prohibitive  cry1.gif

Edited again to say : argh. Stuff it. I bought it anyway!  I bought the 4 pack (with 2 bottles each of the sunscreen and bug-off) so if anyone in Perth wants to split the order in half and pay half the postage, I'm more than happy to. Also happy to keep all the bottles   tongue.gif

Edited by blissfulqueenb, 04 June 2008 - 02:11 AM.

#48 precious1

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

I ordered the same too Carla  grin.gif
I am looking forward to getting it  cool.gif
My shipping was $11.95US to the Sunshine Coast - was it the same to WA? That is not too bad I suppose... Exchange was about 92c.

I have the email details of the guy in the wholesale and bulk orders department so if it is great we should buy it that way next time  grin.gif

Thanks for finding it tongue.gif

#49 3cuties4us

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

Edited again to say : argh. Stuff it. I bought it anyway! I bought the 4 pack (with 2 bottles each of the sunscreen and bug-off) so if anyone in Perth wants to split the order in half and pay half the postage, I'm more than happy to.

Yes please!!!!  Let me know what I'm looking at, and will catch up with you soon. grin.gif  

Kx original.gif

#50 Taurean

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:36 PM

Edited again to say : argh. Stuff it. I bought it anyway! I bought the 4 pack (with 2 bottles each of the sunscreen and bug-off) so if anyone in Perth wants to split the order in half and pay half the postage, I'm more than happy to. Also happy to keep all the bottles

I will be keen too if too late now for another time

how come you are not suppose to get here ?is it because companies want a piece of the pie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.