Sunscreen

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#276 ~3boysmummy~

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

Yep. Just let her know you want the one without the preservative.

I am going to order some as my hara sunscreen is out of date this month. Michelle, did the hara have a preservative in it. Looking at the ingredients it doesn't appear that there is and it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge??

#277 MichP

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

No the Hara doesnt contain any preservatives.

#278 HeatherH

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

Thankyou for this thread and everyones research.

Has anyone heard of/tried/investigated Loving Naturals? They have a zinc stick too

http://www.lovingnaturals.com/

Info for the sunscreen:

We are very proud to offer you the sunscreen we created after we were unable to find a product safe enough to use on our own children. It contains 100% Natural/ Organic Ingredients. It provides superior UVA and UVB protection and is water resistant for 40 minutes. This mineral based sunscreen is also a non-greasy lotion, rich in free radical fighting anti-oxidants and vitamins.....

As a result of our use of a non-nano zinc oxide particle size, our sunscreen has a slight white tint to it. This is very helpful in applying to your children and yourselves so that you can see if you have missed any spots. ......

Active Sunscreen Ingredient:
Non-Nano Zinc Oxide 24.8%

Ingredients: Grape Seed Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (derived from Coconut Oil), Soy Wax (Non-GMO), Organic Sesame Oil, Organic Plum Kernel Oil, Candelilla Wax, Organic Cocoa Butter (Fair Trade), Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Organic Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Cocoa (Fair Trade), Organic Green Tea, Sea Salt, Water

100% Natural, Gluten Free, Vegan.

Info for the Stick:
Active Ingredient: Non-Nano Zinc Oxide 24.8%

Ingredients: Grape Seed Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (from Coconut Oil), Plum Kernel Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Cocoa Butter (Fair Trade), Organic Green Tea, Organic Honey, Organic Rosemary Oil, Salt, Water

I might try their insect repellent too.

Edited by HeatherH, 24 November 2010 - 08:13 AM.

#279 MichP

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

I did see that one but they dont ship here unless you can find a retailer that does.

Edited by MichP, 24 November 2010 - 09:56 AM.

#280 ecb

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

Michelle, did the hara have a preservative in it. Looking at the ingredients it doesn't appear that there is and it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge

It does, however, need a really good squeeze around if it's gotten hot or sat idle for a while as it separates and you'll just end up with a handful of oil.  

I just bought some new hara from here. It cost me $49.10 for 5 tubes + postage and she threw in a lip gloss.  

Might try out the Belmont chick next year when I run out of this next lot of Hara as she's local to me and I like supporting the local guys.

#281 HeatherH

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

I'm thinking of getting some LovingNaturals sent through a freight forwarder (hopshopgo).  Just working out if its a viable option - but what is health worth hey?

Buying 4 of them from Amazon.com would be a total of $61 USD, so I'm working that out as about $17 AUD each for 150Ml tubes.  

Would anyone be interested in trying some if I got a few? (plus domestic postage of about $6 for a parcel post)

Edited by HeatherH, 26 November 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#282 ecb

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

That's a great database, Elena, to reference the types of particles being used.

I wonder if you've thought of extending it to also include information about the preservatives used in sunscreens and perhaps listing or ranking based on what knowledge there is re these preservatives in regards to being skin irritants?  

I ask that as there was another thread re sunscreen use yesterday and a whole bunch of people saying they don't use sunscreen on their kids because their kids are "allergic" to it etc.  These allergies are often times (mostly even) to the preservatives and other ingredients rather than whatever has been used as the active ingredient.  Could be useful information although I realise it would be a big job.

I'm also wondering if you are aware of the Environmental Working Groups Safe Sunscreen Guide. They are a US based group so obviously the sunscreens aren't necessarily available in Aus but many of us are, as you can see, ordering from the US as they do have a lot more good alternatives available (and with the AUD so fantastic...).  Perhaps you can include a link to their guide in your links page.  

#283 MichP

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yes while nano is one concern there are other incgredients that are of concern that consumers need to be aware of to be able to make informed choices. Labelling of ALL ingredients, not just whether the particles are nano also needs to be introduced. My attemtps to find out the ingredients of the Cancer Council sunscreen, which they have refused to give citing that it is proprietory, is a prime example of companies not allowing consumers adequate information to make those decisions.

Also I did send an email (but didnt get a reply) in response to the previous sunscreen guide edition and suggested that having the heading "chemical free" can be a bit misleading for those not fully aware of the chemicals commonly used in sunscreen and that this needs to be clarified more clearly. My suggestion was that a notation that "chemical free" refers specifically to chemical absorbers (which is noted) but that there may be other chemicals in the products that may be regarded as suspect. My example to support this was Invisible Zinc, which I personally wouldnt touch with a barge pole but is on the list as being nano and "chemical free".

Edited by MichP, 15 December 2010 - 07:17 PM.

#284 Bec_Y

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Wow you guys rock! I've been following this thread for some time now and as my Natural Instincts Sunscreen is almost dry I've decided to get some Hara - but a couple of people still said they got burned when they used it - whats the verdict now that summer has well and truley kicked in? Have you found Hara has done the job properly?

#285 Prickly

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

@Bec_Y - No sunburn here with the HARA.

An interesting article on the dangers of popular sunscreens :
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...ing-cancer.aspx

#286 autumninaugust

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

Hello everyone, I am sorry for bumping a year old thread but after countless research about sunscreen (for myself, I do not have kids!) and scouring through pages and pages of google, I found this thread to be the closest to my opinion and frustration with finding a sunscreen.

I just want a non-nanoparticle, safe and natural sunscreen. If it doesn't leave a white cast then great but I don't care if it does. I actually don't trust any sunscreen that goes on clear and claims non-nanoparticle because at this time I don't see how that is possible. The only way is if they are tinted IMO. I wanted to post two things I have read and would love to hear your guys' opinion on these (depressing) articles:

First, from Kabana Green Screen - who use a non-nanoparticle sunscreen that even tells the average particle size (0.260 micron with a standard deviation of 0.012 - so statistically no particles 100nm or less) but does contain Vegetable Emulsifying Wax NF (which is being phased out and replaced with beeswax I believe) that can potentially contain traces of 1,4-dioxane (carcinogen). They claim that there is actually a difference between micronized zinc oxide and micron-sized zinc oxide. They use the latter and do it through a gas process which assures there are no nano-particles whereas the micronized (most common non-nano) uses a grinding process which still allows for some "fine particles" AKA nano-particles. Here is what they say:

What is the difference between nanoparticles, micronized and micron-sized sunscreen forms?  Micronized sunscreens are   created by grinding larger particle sizes into smaller ones. Typically   micronized particles are between 0.1 micron and 100 microns, however the   griding process may result in nanoparticles called 'fines' which are   smaller. Kabana uses neither nanoparticle (size) zinc oxide, nor   micronized (manufacturing process) zinc oxide. Instead Kabana uses   micron-sized particles, created by a clean gas phase process that   involves no griding and maintains a tight particle size distribution in   the micron range, average size 0.260 +/- standard deviation of 0.012   microns, which is 20x larger than most nanoparticle sunscreens. This   particle size range has been used in products for decades and is   considered safe. Given the small particle size standard deviation, no   nanoparticles will be present in our zinc oxide.

For reference, 100 microns is 0.1 millimeter, which is the size of a   fine grain of sand and as a sunscreen, would be useless because it would   be impossible to evenly apply (and gritty!). All mineral sunscreens on   the market are micron-sized, micronized or nano. Some companies   advertise they are using micronized particles, but may still be using   nanoparticles because nanoparticles are technically also a finer version   of the micronized form. The only way for you to know that a sunscreen   active ingredient is not nano is if the company provides you a particle   size number. Zinc oxide in Kabana products are in the micron range (0.26   micron = 260nm) and are non-nano.

Has anyone heard about this? I've emailed them yesterday about it but haven't received a response yet, which is fine since it's a weekend. This depresses me because now I'm worried that most non-nano sunscreen could be using the micronized grinding process and this have some nano in them. I also don't want to use the Kabana sunscreen until they get rid of the bad Vegetable Emulsifying Wax NF either!

And now, another article which claims that any non-nano sunscreen that goes on clear is really using nano (which some here have suspected - me too!) because the so called larger micron sized particles are actually an agglomeration of nano-particles and once they are in oil dispersion , the micron sized cluster breaks into the nano-particles!!!! ohmy.gif I always found it fishy how so many non-nano sunscreens which "go on clear" always seem to have a ridiculous minimum particle size of 1 MICRON whereas onces like Kabana - which leave you looking white as $h!t are less than 1/4 of that. Here is some of the article and the link to the full article: http://keys-soap.com/keysblog/?p=359

How can sunscreen manufacturers claim they are effective while also claiming they do not use nano?   

Answer:  They are really using nano and either don't know it or don't care.  If it goes on clear, it is nano.  

Some sunblock suppliers claim they are not using nano-zinc-oxide, yet   still claim to have the same transparency and effectiveness as   nano-scale solutions even though they are using larger-scale particles,   which of course is impossible because of the intra-particle gaps   inherent with the larger particles.  The answer to the riddle may lie in   how, and with what equipment, the sunblock manufacturer's zinc-oxide   supplier is measuring the particles.

In my lab I have collected samples of all forms of zinc-oxide   particles and zinc-oxide dispersions from most, if not all,   manufacturers of zinc-oxide.  I have zinc-oxide samples used for   personal care products and even samples used to make varnishes to   protect wood finishes.  Using Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM)   technology, I can peer into the world of nanotechnology and reveal the   structure of a wide variety of zinc-oxide particles.  So, you can say   that the TEM is a sort of lie detector on a nano-scale, that reveals the   truth about zinc-oxide particle size and structure.

Sigh. I'm sorry for coming in here to be a debbie downer but I'd rather be that than unsafe. I'm using sunscreen for myself and in a country no where near as hot as Australia. Plus, you guys have kids! So safety comes #1 always. Please let me know what your thoughts on all this are, if you know anything about all of this and if maybe this is just fear mongering or is it true. And has anyone got any new recommendations for sunscreen?

Thanks original.gif

#287 _Mel_

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi, I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread, it's very informative.

I use ASAP sunscreen and have been researching other sunscreens because I didn't like how it made my skin so white and was almost like a mask.
After reading some of the thread I'm starting to think that I should just keep going with it since the good sunscreens seem to do that too.

Has anyone heard of ASAP and is it safe to use?
If not then I'll probably try Hara since it seems to be so natural and healthy.

#288 Yengbb

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for sharing the article.  I have also been doing very thorough research to find the safest sunscreen for my 2 girls too.  It seems that it is safest to stick with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.  And from my experience, most of the safer sunscreens do leave a white cast.  After going thru the ewg website and checking out many many brands, I am currently using the following:

Dr. Mercola, Natural Sunscreen with Green Tea, SPF 30
I originally included the link to the product pg so you can look at the ingredient list as well as user reviews.  But I don't think it is allowed.  So you can go to iHerb.com and run a search using the product name.  Let me know if you need a discount code for this site. This sunscreen is not listed on the ewg site but all the ingredients seems safe. It is a pretty new sunscreen.  Just make sure you apply it quickly as it tends to get flaky if you take too much time to rub it in.
All Terrain, AquaSport SPF 30
This is good when my girls go for their swimming lessons.  It really stays on.  But it does take more time to wash off too.  But for the protection and its safe ingredients, the effort is worth it.  

Have you got any safe brands to share too?

#289 ~3boysmummy~

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Just a very quick question, UV natural sunscreen - What type of zinc do they use? Nano, micro?

#290 MichP

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

LOL I love how this thread resurfaces each year when the weather starts warming up.

Just a very quick question, UV natural sunscreen - What type of zinc do they use? Nano, micro?

previous info was that they do (at the larger end of the nano scale) but companies sometimes change their ingredients so if in doubt ask the company.

For those that have used the FOE Sunscreen Guide as a reference in the past this is interesting to note (they withdrew their guide) http://nano.foe.org.au/safesunscreens

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/ is useful too

_Mel_, I havent heard of ASAP, as mentioned if you have any concerns ask the manufacturer for ingredients details.

#291 mommyoffour

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

We use WotNot brand -- available online or at health food shops original.gif

#292 Orangedrops

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Soleo is a great natural sunscreen, it avoids lots of the nasty ingredients in other sunscreens and it is the only one that doesn't give me a rash.

#293 sunflowers81

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

I've been looking into the sunscreen thing for a while now and thought I'd share that I also use wotnot and grahams natural sunscreen and prefer the grahams one. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.