Sunscreen

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#51 blissfulqueenb

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Yep, K - all yours.   original.gif   Knew someone on here would want it.

My postage was $25 US though - not sure how you managed to get yours for $11.95, Precious1!  Did you just buy the one bottle?

I had the 4 bottles to Perth, WA.  HOpe I didn't get shafted.  LOL. Hate that. I also got charged a handling fee of about $3.  cry1.gif

K, if you want to go ahead with one bottle each of the sunscreen and Bug-off it will be $39.50 US. Exhange was 93cents.  Just make it $40AUD - that's close enough. That sound OK?

Not sure why no one here makes it Lavene.  But I'm very glad to have found it.  Hope it works   tongue.gif

Oh, the wholesale bulk idea sounds good.  When this lot runs out I'll be keen for sure.

Chat soon
Carla

#52 precious1

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

Hmmm,
I don't know what you did Carla...
I got the 4 bottles as well (Survival Kit)
There were a few option to choose from when I ordered - one being the $11.95.
Let's see what I get charged when it is on my credit card (paypal).
Can't wait to get it now...

#53 blissfulqueenb

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

OK thanks. I've just emailed them to see if I can be charged a lesser amount   wacko.gif

I'm so excited - can't believe I've just bought sunscreen in the first week of winter!

#54 blissfulqueenb

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hehehe  - I think you just got lucky Precious1   tongue.gif

I emailed them and mentioned that my friend who made the same order had much cheaper shipping, and got this friendly reply

Thank you for contacting Mercola.com! We apologize for the confusion regarding the shipping costs. This amount is automatically generated once the items and shipping information is entered into the system. Your friends shipping could have been cheaper depending on a couple things. Did she use a promotional code or a birthday code when placing her order? Did she order over the phone and a representative may have given her a special offer due to a past problem? I would need to look into that order and research. Our shipping costs to Australia are almost all of the time between $20-$25.  Again we apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused and if we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Regards,

Shonda

Shonda Wallace

Customer Service Representative

#55 precious1

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

cry1.gif  cry1.gif Uh oh...
I tried to pay with paypal but forgot it was not registered to pay with worldwide and they have sent an email back saying there was an error  blush.gif
So I may not be that lucky after all  cry1.gif

If someone wants to post very soon before I reply I may be able to buy more on my order and split the cost.

I will probably reply to them around 3pm or so (Sunshine Coast time) However I may or may not be able to extend the order depending on what the issue is blink.gif

#56 blissfulqueenb

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

Oh damn.   cry1.gif

maybe you should quickly google for a birthday code from Mercola???   tongue.gif

#57 precious1

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

Carla,
I tried for the coupon code but none worked grin.gif
I ordered again from scratch and Order will be got the $11.95 again.

Here is a transcript -
shipped via:
Priority Mail International Flat
Sub Total: $49.97
Coupon Discount: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Charges: $11.95
Handling Charges: $2.75

TOTAL CHARGES: $64.67
Your savings: $0.00

#58 blissfulqueenb

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

MIne is here and it looks fab. Doesn't seem too greasy or smelly.  

I have to say that I had reason to contact Mercola's customer service (not regarding this purchase) and they were outstanding.  I have found the whole order/delivery/follow up very prompt and efficient.

#59 dugong

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

Hey I have just found this thread after trying to research this nano-free sunscreen.  I also found that UV natural use nano zinc, albeit on the larger end of the scale.  See this link to part of their US site: "http://www.uvnatural...ww.uvnaturalusa

I am keen to hear how the Mercola works out.  maybe we can encourage one of the natural baby online shops to stock it?

#60 precious1

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

Got mine yesterday too  grin.gif
Not sure when I will get to test it out - we are having a cold snap laughing2.gif

I did get a voucher for no postage till the end of July in my package though - so might have to see what it is like to reorder with no postage while I can.

Anyone in Brisbane or Sunshine Coast that needs any?
I may be able to add it to my order but it will still be postage from here though unless you pick it up.

#61 nene

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:12 AM

Hi all,

Just wondering how your Mercola sunscreen and mossie spray has worked out?  Would love an update.

Thanks

#62 precious1

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

I have both and love them...
I have bought more since for friends and family.
I have not had to buy anymore personally as it has lasted forever. I am still using my original bottle - as a little goes a LONG way.
I have one bottle at my son's day care and the other at home - both are almost full still. Not from the lack of use either and we live on the beach in QLD!

The mozzie spray stuff smells absolutely divine. You could use it as a yummy fragrance LOL.
Works well too.

Anyway - I am a huge fan!

#63 nene

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

Thanks so much!!  That's great to know  :xmas_happy: - I'll have to try it myself.

#64 Maple Leaf

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

I have read this whole thread, as it was linked to the nanoparticles thread in WDYT.

Thanks for doing all that research OP. I'm definitely going to try this Mercola stuff. I ordered some invisible zinc too after seeing it is on the 'safe' list, http://nano.foe.org.au/filestore2/download...de_2008_Web.pdf
but am now not so sure about anything anymore!

#65 justcallmemum

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

I have tried most of the Natural Instinct products (but yet to try the sunscreen) they are at most pricelines here - with samples/open products to try. I didnt like the shampoo at all (cond was ok) my hair never felt or actually looked clean so im in the process of finding another brand to use, also I hated their dishwasher powder (left everything white), Im finding it hard to find a lot of chemical free wide ranged brands that actually work and no private business that do it!(but I have only been doing it for 18 odd mths so still learning).

Edited by justcallmemum, 13 January 2009 - 03:27 PM.

#66 Mumof32b!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

I have just bought a tube of Natural Instincts sunscreen and I like it a lot better than the UV Natural one.  It is easier to apply and lasts for 4 hours as opposed to 2.

I am using the NI face moisturiser as well and it is not bad, was going to try other products in their range but may give the shampoo/cond a miss (thanks PP).

It is so hard to find products, the more you dig the more you find out and the more products are eliminated!

#67 cg20

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

hi,
I have used the NI sunscreen for myself and the kids and it works well but it really stings if you get it in your eyes. So thats not so good for little kids who rub their eyes alot. I also didn't like the shampoo and conditioner for myself but its excellent for the kids and doesn't sting their eyes. I also use the shower gel for the family and its great and smells really nice.

I have a really effective all natural insect repellent that i buy online from Golden Glow, its called Herb Valley Natural Insect Repellent. Its only about $7 for 250ml and it goes a long way.

Edited by cg20, 21 January 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#68 Baby_Be

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

I think Sue Dengate has said that no sunscreen is 100% failsafe.

Her cookbook recommends MEgan Gales invisible zinc and Cancer Council everyday sunscreen.

#69 ~SevenWonders~

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

We use NI.  

It is thick to apply and sits on top of the skin with me but I think that is due to the fact I have moisturizer on under. It tends to sit in crease areas like the fold at my inner elbow ect.

On the children it wears good.

I don't like to use sunscreen but this suits us for those times that being out in the sun for longer than 15mins is unavoidable.

Does anyone make time for short bursts of sun exposure without sunscreen to allow for vit D production?

#70 Mumof32b!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

Does anyone make time for short bursts of sun exposure without sunscreen to allow for vit D production?

Yes I guess I do PP, late afternoon when we go out our backyard is 90% in shade so I don't tend to apply sunscreen then, but I do in the morning if they are out and everytime we leave the house to go to a park/friend's house/beach etc.

#71 localyokel

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

Bumping this thread too - as i missed it earlier.  Its such a nice morning it feels like spring is around the corner. Ali

#72 ecb

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Does anyone know if the Cancer Council chemical free sunscreen is okay (green tube)? Do we know if it has the micro or the nano oxide?

#73 blissfulqueenb

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

It has the hydrobenzoates sad.gif

Australia's sunscreens suck

#74 ecb

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

GRRRRR!!!   aannoyed.gif

#75 StillRoz

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

I've been searching the web for a natural / nano-free sunscreen and knew I should have just come here first!

Yep, the Avado is out too cry1.gif

Took me three emails to get a straight answer, but finally was advised (rather abruptly in the end) that the zinc is nano.

That was exactly my experience!

I have been searching for a nano-free sunscreen for my kids. I find it so frustrating when the products whose entire advertising seems to relate to it being organic/natural, actually contain nano-zinc. To me, it borders on being dishonest. If they are confident the nano-zinc in their all-natural suncreen is safe (as they stated in their email to me), then why not put that on the label??

I've written to a number of sunscreen producers and I've much preferred the straight honest reply from companies like Sunsense (Ego Pharmaceuticals) who say "Ego does use microfine/nanoparticulate titanium dioxide and zinc oxide" as opposed to the green washing I've received from some of the 'organic' companies "The zinc is nano and if you have any evidence that there is a problem using this process can you please forward it to us because as far as we can see there are no documented studies that we have been able to find to suggest otherwise".

FWIW, Hamilton labs have sent me a list of their sunscreens that do NOT contain nano particles. They are ...
  • Hamilton Family SPF15+ Lotion
  • Hamilton Family SPF15+ Cream
  • Hamilton Clear Lotion Spray SPF 30+

Watch out as Hamilton has a SPF30+ family Lotion which does contain nano. Also, I double checked with them that the Hamilton Clear Lotion Spray SPF 30+ was okay (it contain two alarms for me - 30+ and "clear") but they confirmed it contains no nano ingredients.

So - does any have a good suncreen that doesn't contain the usual nasties and does not contain nano/micro sized particles?

TIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.