Nasal Congestion at night - disturbing sleep & feeding

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 feistyhorsegal

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

My DD2 wakes up with a stuffy congested nose in the early hours of the morning. This has happened every night for the past few weeks. She is so stuffed up that she often finds feeding difficult. She'll feed but have to pull on and off at some feeds, cause her nose is bothering her. Often if she doesn't feed well then she wakes frequently for snacks til morning. On a bad night she wakes for that 2.45am feed and then is not well setted at all between then and wake up time. She also wants to get up for the day at 4.30 - 5am when her nose is bad. I have tried:
A vaporiser in her room - the gurgling noise kept her up all night!
Fess saline drops in her nose - she fights me and screams the place down, and wakes her sister.
Vicks Baby Balsam on her chest - made no difference
Infant Decongestant as a last resort - seemed to help a little but not much
So any other ideas? This is driving me nuts, and is not very nice for the poor little girl! I've seen 2 GPs about it. My Dr just says not to worry about it and don't give her any medication, another said it was a viral infection but its been going on for weeks, so you'd think if it was a virus it would have resolved by now. Do you think it could be an allergy of some sort, and if so whats the likely culprit? She only gets the symptoms at night once she's in bed.

#2 Kez82

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

You could try putting some breastmilk up her nose - in the same way that you would use FESS. When my DD was all snuffled, i would lay her on my lap with her head slightly tilted backwards, then using an eye dropper or syringe i would put a couple of drops on the skin just above her lip and because of the way her head was tilted it would just go up her nostrils. This seemed to help her "unclog" enough to be able to feed and also sleep.

Have you tired using the aspirator that comes with the Fess to try and remove some of the congestion??

#3 boy0hboy

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

Could it be a dustmite allergy? My youngest son is allergic to dustmites and what you are describing sounds exactly like it! As a baby he always had a really stuffy, blocked up nose, and when he started crawling, was always rubbing his eyes and sneezing (we were in a place with very old carpet and a crappy vacuum).

Do other family members suffer from hayfever symptoms, allergic rhinitis, restless sleep? My brothers, my FIL and BIL, plus my husband, all have some form of these symptoms, so it is quite clear that it runs in the family.

I'd do some reading on it and if it rings true you could get a blood test, RAST, to check for dustmite allergy, or organise a skin prick test.

In the mean time though, you can start reducing the number of dustmites in your house.
There's some good info here -
http://www.housedustmite.org/site_questions/
http://www.healthy-house.co.uk/allergy/dust_mite_allergy.php

Oh and the vapouriser is really bad to be using if she is allergic to dustmites - the moisture provides a perfect breeding ground for them!

#4 feistyhorsegal

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the replies.
schnookums82 I can't use the aspirator cause she screams her head off - I have tried.
mary23 hubby sufferes with his sinuses a bit. I'll definitely investigate the dust mite thing. However I've just discovered that the cat has recently taken to sleeping under the cot during the day, so perhaps his hair is floating in the air or settling in the cot, which could be irritating her or she could be allergic to cat hair? Although she doesn't break out or anything when she pats him.

#5 harrison~at~last

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

My DD is the same, but will let me use Fess generally.  Does your DD have a ceiling fan in the room?  I have noticed that makes DD's nose worse, but on realy hot nights, there's not much I can do except clean her up!

#6 bumbalina

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

If it's a cold/flu that's causing the stuffiness, I've found Medic room spray quite effective.  But if it's not the cold/flu but is just hay-fever/sinusitis, then Medic won't do much good - as PP said, could be allergy.

#7 feistyhorsegal

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

Does your DD have a ceiling fan in the room?
Yes she does - perhaps it needs a clean! We live on the Gold Coast in Qld and its way too hot & humid not to have the fan on. Wish we could afford air conditioning!

Edited by feistyhorsegal, 25 January 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#8 Miss Lizzie

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

I always put vicks on my boob when my babes have had difficulty breathing & feeding...

#9 justneedadvice

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

Sounds like an allergy to me. I have a dustmite (poo) allergy and get stuffy every time I lay on one of our beds with an old mattress. I would give the room a major clean out, vaccuum with a HEPA filter, or you just spew all the dust back up again... and clean the fan.. (I need to do that too LOL). If the mattress is newish it should be treated... which is helpful.
Good luck figuring it out!
anna

#10 ~Pretty~In~Pink~

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

I have a 7 week old and have a similar problem.

I figured it out to be the fan being on - and it had nothing to do with the fan being dirty as it was cleaned before we put it on when she was in the room. I have also rubbed Vicks Baby Balsam on a face washer and folded it in half and stuck it under the sheet where her head is as it seems to last longer than if rubbed on her chest.

I live in Brisbanes south west so I know all about the heat and instead of having the ceiling fan on I have a pedestal fan outside the bedroom and aim it towards the room, that seems to keep the room cool enough without causing the congestion.

Sometimes you just have to deal with the screaming and use the aspirator to clear the nose or they will either not be able to feed or even worse not be able to breath properly. Jess screams while it is happening but soon settles once I have cleared it away and got her feeding.

Good luck

Helen

#11 Greeneyes78

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Im glad I found this thread!

I have a 5.5 week old DD, and last week she started sounding very congested in the nose. I thought she had a cold, but then it seemed to go away. I could only notice it when she took deep breaths, and while she sleeps her breathing sounds normal.

Today I noticed a wheezy sound in her chest.

So I took her to the GP, and he said that she doesnt have a cold and is perfectly fine but has congestion in her nose because her nasal passages are very thin since she is so young. He told me to get Fess, which I have, but the aspirator hasnt gotten anything out of her nose at all. I think the gunk is quite high up in her nose. One nostral, when I tried the aspirator, a bit of gunk came out with blood, so I dont like to use it unless I really have to.

Could this GP's explanation be correct, that she may not have a cold?

Edited by NataLeah, 03 March 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#12 jesse75

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

My DS also gets a stuffy nose from the fan in the room, thanks for the idea of putting it outside the room Pretty in Pink I will try that. He also gets it with our aircon too, which is great as it is going to be 35 degrees and over for the next week here in adelaide!

#13 kez145

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

Have you tried the Fess spray rather than the drops.  IT is great.  One spray up each nostril is so much easier than trying to get drops in a screaming baby

#14 nic1234

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

My bub has a terrible cold - a big rasberry to the people who came to visit when sick and spread their flu germs to me, my husband, my three year old and my baby!!!

Anyway, she's the least ill of all of us but still is finding nights hard with a stuffed up nose. She HATES the fess sucker but we need to use it as it's the only way to get the goop out of her nose so she can BF! We use the spray first and hope we're not traumatising her for life because she puts up a fair struggle!

What has worked well is one of those plug-in Vicks thingies that sends the vicks wafting through the room with no noisy vapouriser bubbling or hot steam to worry about. It has been great for her - she is five months old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.