17 Wks premature!-The Early Arrival of Niamh Annabelle

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Bonniegirl

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

After two years of ttc, four miscarriages and a diagnosis of anti-phospholipid syndrome and Sjogrens syndrome, we finally conceived our much wanted baby.

I had been taking aspirin daily and injecting heparin twice daily to keep her alive and to prevent me from clotting. It was a stressful pregnancy for many reasons and culminated in her untimely and very shocking arrival!

I had no warning at all. I went into labour on the Wednesday 6th February and had drugs to stave off the contractions. Obviously our daughter had other ideas!

Here is my birth story taken directly from my blog. It will be a long, hard road, but I am certain we will get there. She was just 23 weeks gestation and will stay in NICU for approx four months until her due date of June 5th.

At 1.30am on the morning of Thursday 7th February, I woke up. I think it was the awful cramping back pain I had that woke me but I was so groggy and exhausted I couldnt quite work out if I had woken because I was uncomfortable or because I needed the toilet. I pressed my buzzer and Anne, the wonderful midwife that was on shift that night came to see me. I asked her for the bedpan as I felt I needed to relieve pressure and then I would feel better. she turned on the taps for me and left the room.

After she left, I had an extremely painful contraction. I was lifting off the bed and hanging on for dear life. It was very intense. She came back in to see if I was 'done' and I could barely speak to her. I was still too spaced out to really articulate what was happening, but she could see I was in pain. I reassured her I just needed to wee and then I would be fine!! Funny looking back.

After two more times of this she said she would get me some pethidine. We removed the bedpan, thankfully as I think that was making it worse. I passed some blood and we realised that Niamh was coming now and that there was nothing we could do about it. There was no time for drugs, Anne went and got the Paediatric team and had them at the ready.

Within 20 minutes or so Niamh Annabelle arrived at exactly 2am February 7th 2008.

She was born feet first, in the caul which apparently is lucky. We were told she had had the best possible start she could have given the circumstances. The caul would have protected her skin from being bruised and helped make it a little less traumatic for her.

It was still not an easy birth despite her size. Her head circumference was 19.6cm, she weighed 570g and is 27cm long. It was very painful and very sudden and there was no time for pain relief.

I lost nearly a litre of blood after delivering, for a while I was very woozy and feint and its only really today I feel better. Tony was called after the birth and he grabbed Bailey out of bed and arrived at about 3.30am. Poor Bailey didnt know what was going on but was a very good little boy. I was wheeled round to intensive care and we went to see our daughter.

It was not how we expected our little girl to come into the world but we are thrilled she is here!

Thankyou for reading wink.gif

#2 *bibs*

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Oh my gosh, Wow, i  hands.gif  hands.gif  hands.gif  hands.gif  hands.gif that your beautiful little girl is strong.  Truly amazing.  I will be following your story.
Goodluck

#3 YosemiteSam

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Oh what a precious little girl you have there, congratulations. Just so little and in proportion and well...girly wub.gif

Fight hard little one, you obviously have it in you!

All the best to you and your family,
Sam xxxx

#4 berrynice

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

Wow!
a story you will remember for ever. Congratulations and grow Niamh, grow!!
I'm thinking of you tiny girl  wub.gif

#5 salstar

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

Bonnie, Congratulations on your amazing, beautiful daughter!
I have just read all of Niamh's blog so far. She is such a fighter!  wub.gif

I bet Bailey can't wait to hold her!

Niamh, keep on fighting little one! Show everyone just how strong you are!

Edited by salstar, 16 February 2008 - 09:34 PM.

#6 Jenks

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

Welcome to the world Niamh wub.gif

Congratulations, she is a beautiful little girl in a very big hurry!

Will be following your journey.

#7 one~of~me

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:50 PM

Aww she is so beautiful so tiny hard to imagine that my baby is that big inside me.
I wish you guys all the best and she is just so cute congratulations.

#8 JTCDS

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hi Siobhan,

You have such a trooper of a daughter!!   I still cant believe she is here already!!   I am always thinking of you all and pray that each day she get stronger but she is already proving she is a strong little girl.

I cannot wait to Niamh very soon original.gif

Love to you all

Nat xx

Edited by JTCD, 16 February 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#9 bendystraw

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

I just read your blog too.  She's beautiful!  wub.gif

Congratulations to you and your family!
wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif

#10 mikejuliet1

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

What a beautiful name for such a precious little girl!

Welcome to the world Niamh!

#11 Shapir0

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

OMG what a precious, precious little girl- just so beautiful!! Congratulations on her birth  wub.gif Baby Girl you're a fighter!! wub.gif  wub.gif

Bonniegirl, I read your story and have tears. Your birth experience is so similar to mine, only I didn't have any labour pain, just a  feeling of wanting to go to the toilet and Dylan was born soon after at 25 1/2 weeks, and in the caul.

#12 lishermide

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

I may just have said it before, but oh what a beautiful little girl Niamh is  wub.gif

Congratulations once again on her birth, and thanks so much Siobhan for sharing her with us  original.gif

#13 ~*~mumzlilcookie~*~

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

hello, she is gorgeuous.i will be praying for all of you that u will have good days and bad days..

stay strong little girl..
sue

#14 Jet07

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

Congrats on such a beautiful little girl! You may have heard already that it is great that she is a girl, as statistically they tend to do better at early gestations.

As you can see from my sig I had twins boys at 24+6. Shea weighed 740g and Tainn was 620g. Shea is now 5 and at school!

I hope you've found the girls in Babies Born Early (I haven't been down to check yet), and I will PM you about another site you will find very useful original.gif

I'm in ACT now but the twins were born in Newcastle and Shea spent a lot of time in Westmead Kids (near where we than lived), so if I can be of any help please let me know by PM.

#15 stasiamum

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

Siobhan, Tony and Bailey,

Just read your entire journey on Niamh's blog, and just wanted to congratulate you on the arrival of your beautiful daughter and little sister. She is absolutely amazing, and the amount of strength she has is incredible. May she continue to grow and flourish, and gain more and more strength with each and every day. She will be in my thoughts until we receive the news that she is well and on her way home.

Take Care,
Stasia

#16 MagentaBaby

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

Good gracious, how thoroughly precious is your little miracle!

Congratulations on the arrival of Niamh. I hope and pray the months ahead see her skip past all milestones and hurdles, safely to your arms at home where she should be.

All the best and good luck.

#17 Marsbar Slice

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

Congrats on your beautiful little girl and thank you for sharing your story.

Our thoughts and  hands.gif  are with you and your family

#18 twinmumplus1

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

Congrats on your gorgeous little girl! My thoughts are with you all!

#19 amber84

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

Congratulations on your presiouse little baby girl, she is such a gem! I am  hands.gif For her and your family..... Be strong little one!

#20 Bonniegirl

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

Thank you for all your lovely comments, it means a lot to know she has so much support behind her. She is doing so well wub.gif It helps me to know you are all thinking of us.

#21 Mum2Katie*Melanie

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

Hi Bonnie,

Thank-you for sharing your Story with us. You have an Amazing Strength to be able to keep updating your DD's Blog page, for us all to share your Family's journey...

I cry1.gif everytime l look at your tiny wub.gif Girl, as she reminds me of the last time l saw mine. Although l'm actually Crying Tears of JOY for you! I am SO happy that Niamh is progressing & keeping her Milk down.

Good Girl little Niamh!

Stay Strong, for your Mummy, Daddy & big Brother.

Edited by MoK, 18 February 2008 - 10:24 PM.

#22 ~*luvmytribe*~

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

Congratulations and all the best to your family and precious baby girl.

#23 tomaudsmum

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thankyou for sharing your amazing story with all of us.  What gorgeous children you have. Im the same, everytime i look at a photo of Niamh & all the memories of those gruelling & sometimes exciting days in ICU coming flooding back. Its a strange world of alarms, ventilators, isolettes, amazing nurses & doctors.  Quite surreal at times but it strangely becomes normal to those who spend so much time there.  My twins spent almost 3 months in hospital, all up so im no stranger to all of this. Cant wait to read more updates.

#24 darnie

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

I am going to follow Niamh's story with much interest, and am hoping and praying for you all! You have amazing strength and courage.

Wishing you and your family all the very best,
Deanne.

I am going to follow Niamh's story with much interest, and am hoping and praying for you all! You have amazing strength and courage.

Wishing you and your family all the very best,
Deanne.

#25 Fraseky

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

Best wishes for your little Niamh from our little Niamh Ianthe!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.