Throwing self backwards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LittleBear

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm after some advice/reassurance in regards to DD 6 months.  She has this frustrating 'habit' (best thing I can think of to describe it) of throwing herself backwards when in a seated position.  It seems to be quite a forceful movement, not just going floppy and falling backwards. She does it when supported sitting on my lap or sitting in between my legs; when in her bumbo chair she tilts herself so far backwards that her head almost touches the floor behind her; and when in her rocker she also arches and turns herself over from laying on her back to laying on her tummy.  She basically lasts about two to three minutes max (even when entertained) before this behaviour starts.  She has been doing this since at least four months old.  I have been trying to get her to sit supported more frequently in case of poor muscle tone in her back, but due to her frustration and the danger of her hurting herself I usually have to lay her on the floor.  

I am trying to introduce solids at present and it's a frustrating nightmare because she won't sit or lay reclined long enough to get more than a tsp of food in.  Trying to persevere with her 'sitting' in some way, shape or form just ends up with her in hysterical tears.

Any advice you can offer or know of any medical reasons why she might keep throwing herself backwards?

Your thoughts are appreciated,
Amanda

#2 rubyandjordansmummy

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

Hi,

Sounds like my DD Ruby, she started throwing herself back at about 4 months old, I got really worried because she bumped her head a few times i took her to docs and they found no medical reason for it.
In the end i just had to be really careful, i stopped using the bumbo and even now at 10 months the only time she will sit is in a highchair.

My advice to you would be to get a padded high chair (I have the chicco happy snack) and just be careful when you have her on your knee, put cushions behind her when shes sitting anywhere near where she could hurt herself. Sorry i couldnt be more help but thats all that i was told.
Maybe someone else will be able to offer more advice.

Do let me know how you go on.

Hope this helps

Vicky xx

#3 LemonLyman

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hi there,

My DD did a kind of similar thing - she loved throwing herself backwards when I'd sit her on my lap burping her after a feed.  She didn't do it so much in other situations, although she does have a current obsession with slouching down in her high chair - she'll just do it straight away again if I sit her up, so she is often almost horizontal while I'm feeding her...  wacko.gif

I imagine it could be just finding something they can do with their bodies and enjoying the sensation of it (DD also loves tipping her head on the side at the moment, and often lies her head down sideways on the high chair tray) - particularly with the throwing backwards in between feeding, I just figured she enjoyed the movement.  And was lucky I was there holding her and with pillows in the right location!  

Not sure about your more regular happenings, and it does sound frustrating.  I don't know about any sort of medical reasons - I hope you have some other replies.  Ask your MCHN or doctor?  It's probably nothing to worry about, but sounds like some tips could help you out (sorry I don't have any!)

Edited by poppycatsmum, 28 February 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#4 tmndk

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hi LittleBear,

In my house we call this 'back arching'.  All of my kids did it, and I think all kids do it.  I don't know why exactly, but it doesn't last too long.  The next thing that happens is the rolling when you are doing nappy changes  glare.gif

When my kids were arching their back, I just supported their necks and heads, and let them do it...If I was standing and they did it I did the same thing as when they were sitting.  And when I popped them on the floor I put pillows or cushions around them (Katie-Lee gets a whole mattress) to have a soft landing.

As I said I don't know why they do it, I always thought that it was wind / stretching / wanting to be put down / not comfortable...etc etc.

Mechelle

#5 LittleBear

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

Thank you for your replies  grin.gif I really appreciate it.

Amanda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.