Lactation Cookies

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 ivory_kitten

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

so for the no bake ones is there anything you can substitute the peanuts and peanut butter for?  would other nut butter work?

#27 Jembo

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

I made these tonight and they are yum!!!

Instead of white sugar I used raw sugar and also only 1/2 a cup instead of a full one.  For me they are still sweet enough, as I used white chocolate as well.  I also put in a bit less butter and it seems fine - well it all tastes good to me.

Next time I think I will add sultanas instead of choclate. biggrin.gif

#28 Callistra

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Heh... what happens if DH ate them all?
(I've just made a batch and it's a long running joke about men lactating around here!)

#29 censura carnero

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

I have never heard of this and didn't know there was anything food wise that could increase supply.  Definitely taking a batch into hospital with me.

I'm no cooking guru so don't know if this would work but could you use splenda or honey and perhaps olive oil to replace the sugar and butter.

#30 4forme

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

Too funny!

My first batch ever is in the oven right now and I popped onto eb and sawthis thread in the recent topic list.

I only made a half batch as I ddint have enough butter or marg but looks like there will still be heaps.

I will be trying less sugar next time as I usually always use just that little bit less than it says in my cooking- so shall see how we go.

#31 *LucyE*

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

I have made these and they are yum!  They really work too.  When I go to the trouble of making a batch, I double it and then freeze the extra dough in smaller portions ready to defrost and bake whenever I need them.  

It would work with less sugar and butter but I believe that's part of the point - to increase the caloric intake.  The linseed meal adds essential fatty acids too which is all good.

You can substitute the choc chips for other things like raisins too if you prefer.

#32 kayjayx1

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

Oh. My. God.  
These really work.
Yum yum yum.
Thanks for the recipe  biggrin.gif

#33 321Cas321

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi

Everyone is saying they work... does it make your LO more settled during the day/feeds, less hungar feeds during the night etc.  I am finding that our feeds are short, sometimes he is satisfied and other times not.  Thinking I might try these to try and help my little guy out.

What signs did you have to make you consider upping your supply.

thanks

#34 Kez82

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

Me thinks i did something wrong!  ph34r.gif  My mixture was quite runny/wet consistancy...and i ended up having to add an extra 3/4 cup of flour to make it more of a "cookie mixture" - does this happen to anyone else???

But i did make them - they are yummy (although probably too much sugar in them!) and now just waiting to see what my night supply is like tonight!

Oh and DH thinks they are yummo - i told him he'd better stop eating them because i am sure milk will start dripping from his nipples!!!  laugh.gif

Edited by schnookums82, 16 March 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#35 Prickly

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

hmmmm - now I have too much milk & am quite lumpy. I'll have to cut down on the number of them I am eating....

I cut out about 3/4 cup of sugar when I did mine, and they are still quite tasty.

I found that they needed to bake a fair bit longer than 8-12 minutes though. Mine came out pretty soft & I could really taste the brewers yeast in them, and really thought that I wasn't going to like them. I froze 3/4 of them in a ziplock bag (already cooked) & have been pulling 3 out in the morning & put them back in a 220c oven for around 4-5 minutes. They taste heaps better when they are cooked until crunchy & seem to be fine cooked then frozen then re-heated in the oven.

I don't find them that unhealthy for me. I was already eating crappy biscuits for morning tea and snacks anyway blush.gif  - so at least these are doing something for my milk & I am getting a good dose of fibre and a few fatty acids thrown in for good measure.

#36 Jembo

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

hmmmm - now I have too much milk & am quite lumpy. I'll have to cut down on the number of them I am eating....

I have the same problem, now have blocked ducts and am very sore, so busy trying to express and relieve it. sad.gif

321Cas321 - I tried them as we were going thru a breast refusal stage and I just could not get him to feed, so wanted to make sure that it wasn't due to supply (which I didn't think it was).  I am finding tho, I have a bit too much milk now and it is harder to get him to have a good feed.

#37 ReneS

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between brewers yeast and just normal dry yeast?? unsure.gif

Maybe you could use some honey instead of the sugar?
And maybe lowfat butter instead of normal butter?
Anyone know what the equivalant in weight is to 1 cup butter? Seems easier to weigh butter than use a cup  grin.gif

Oh yeah and how long after eating these did you feel it "worked"?

Edited by ReneS, 17 March 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#38 Nayetti**

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

Anyone know what the equivalant in weight is to 1 cup butter?
about 250gms..  biggrin.gif

#39 ReneS

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Nayetti biggrin.gif

#40 Prickly

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

I had increased milk a few hours after I ate my first cookie - during the very next feed.

Brewer's Yeast is an inactive yeast - it won't make the cookies rise. It is a bi-product of beer production and is super high in B-Vitamins.

Anyone noticed any signs of thrush since eating these ? I usually try to keep my sugar intake low as I am suceptible to thrush & try to avoid 'yeasty' foods. I am not sure if this inactive form of yeast encourages thrush or not, but I've been getting a few twinges down below & am wondering if it has anything to do with the cookies.

#41 Callistra

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

I think it's worked for me too! Gosh!

I had three cookies today. UNfortunately, they seem to sugar me out, and I spend all day with that horrible post-lolly taste in my mouth, probably not helped by needing cough lollies all night at the moment.

But Yay!

I can't say how long they took to kick in, since I ate them and then Jack slept for 8 hours, so we skipped a feed or two. But I think there was a surplus next morning.
original.gif

#42 4forme

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

I havent notice much of a difference- but I've actually been good and only eaten about 2 a day- (dh and the kids are wolfing them down though)

Maybe I don't need them- but after just eaing one now I do feel a bit full whereas I usually dont feel like that since bubs is 6months old.

#43 aussieatheart

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

Just bumping this up in case anyone else would like the recipe. Just took me 20 mins to find the blessed thread!!!! wacko.gif Why oh why does the search function not work for me??????

Glad to hear it is working for people, going to try it out very soon.

Happy feeding everyone. wub.gif

#44 Phoenix Blue

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

Love these too biggrin.gif

Just wanted to add that I made the first batch dairy free and they worked fine. I used dairy free margarine, and bought a dairy free chocolate bar and chopped it into pieces.

I really noticed an increase after eating them. Although I made another batch yesterday and I'm still waiting for them to work this time! DS is doing a bit of breast refusal at the moment I think too - probably stressing me out! sad.gif

Kate xxx

#45 Kez82

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

WARNING - THEY ARE ADDICTIVE (says she who just scoffed down 3 and is contemplating more!)

#46 louie3

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:36 AM

Sounds interesting...Can someone post the recipe?

#47 4forme

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

Louie I think the recipe is on the first page.

After a few batches- I find they do certainly work- I now have  modest supply of ebm in the freezer.

I even took a batch to my monthly aba meeting and they were a hit.

Last batch I reduced the sugar and they were still fine. Instead of 1 cup of each I cut it back to 3/4 cup of each.

#48 louie3

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

blush.gif Just found the recipe. Scanned the 1st page too quickly.

Sound yum, Will give it a go.

#49 ReneS

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

They work for me too, i definatley feel fuller when i eat them.
Maybe i should try and express, i'm hopeless at expressing, maybe if i eat a couple of these, i might be able to get some milk??

#50 winkwink

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

I just made my first batch and they are yummy  original.gif   I'll be having a couple more while they are still warm and hope I notice a difference soon.  The recipe requires flaxseed meal - I made a mistake and bought linseed meal.....do you think it will matter.  I'm going to make another batch and freeze the dough for later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.