Easiyo- without the sachet?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Manda

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:20 PM

I read somewhere here that you can make it without using the sachet, Does anyone know how i do this?

I just brought a easiyo today original.gif but forgot the sachet sad.gif

#2 ohboy

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

This is one I've used from someone on EB. My boys hated it sick.gif , but everyone else that had used it on the thread said it was great. blush.gif

Yoghurt recipe using an Easiyo

1 and 1/3 cups of pwd milk
1/3  cup  of sugar
2 tbs of an Easiyo sachet (seal it and keep using  it till you finish  the sachet)
A dash of vanilla extract or  essence

leave for at least 12  hours and voila ...perfect  creamy ultra cheap yoghurt!!

Hope you don't mind me adding to your post but can anyone help with with why my yoghurt comes out running? I even did one from a sachet last night and still come out really running after 12 hours and yes I triple checked I wasn't using a drinking yoghurt one laughing2.gif

#3 cjpj

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:17 AM

This is the  recipe for yogurt using my old fashioned youghurt maker

2.5 cups water
1.cup skim milk powder
1 Tabspoon yoghurt (one that is already made,  doesnt matter what brand)

I will try to find an old thread on making your own yoghurt

#4 Manda

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

I found one last night that was

1 1/3 milk powder
1/3 sugar
vanilla essence
2 tablespoons yogurt

I did that let it go for 12 hrs kids tasted it this morning but didnt like it. maybe after its been in the fridge awhile it will taste ok? I wasnt game to taste it roll2.gif

I'll buy a few sachets today.

ETA- Ohboy ....I dont mind you adding to this thread. original.gif
Any easiyo disscussions are welcome. original.gif

Edited by hope701, 29 February 2008 - 08:28 AM.

#5 Daisy Chain

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

Ok I bought the Banana Flavour this week made it up as I do all the other flavours and it has come out  a really thick stretchy consistancy. The only difference I can think of was that it was a hot day and I left it out on the bench and it got all the afternoon sun.

#6 Manda

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

My woolies has a crap range IGA is better. All woolies had was greek, nautural, low fat, s/berry and vanilla, i got the s/berry. They are also more $$ at woolies.

Give it a try tonight.

#7 blondegirl again

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

I only use a sachet of mix about once every 2 months.  The rest of the time I use this recipe:

1 1/3 cups powdered milk ( more for thicker, less for thinner)
1 Tb of previous batch
and make up the jar with water.

This makes plain natural yoghurt.  Works great , unless you use non-fat milk powder (which doesn't set for some reason)  All the other flavourings are optional, so fiddle with sugar, etc to taste.  ( I don't add any until after  the yoghurt is in the serving bowl!)

#8 Manda

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

thanks blondegirl

Ill try that one too.

#9 carolynmaree

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

ohboy - is it still runny after it has been set in the fridge?  I find the sachets are sometimes a bit runny when you take them out of the thermos, but get better once set in the fridge, but you need to set it without disturbing it - I don't know why but that's what I used to find.  I use the milk powder method now.  You can buy EasiYo brand fruit sachets that you add to plain yoghurt to flavour them.  I've got them at both KMart and Coles.  Maybe your kids would like it better witht eh fruit flavour in it (It's a bit like a strong jam ix)

#10 Manda

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

I have seen the ads for them on tv.

The batch i made last night the kids said it tasted better today but it still "got the back of the throat" (it did taste a bit tart) i told them it will probably taste better with their museli, if not ill whack a tad of jam in it roll2.gif

How long does a batch keep for before it has to be thrown?

#11 sam_k

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Manda mix a bit of honey through it when you serve it, that should sweeten it up for them.

The greek sachets are awesome.  I put a bit of sugar in mine while I'm mixing the water in, but I make it nowhere near as sweet as the commercial stuff.

And a batch will last for 2 weeks.

#12 Mum2Amy

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Haven't done this for a while but used to make it with uht milk (have to use uht, not regular milk because it is heat treated i.e. no bacteria).  Half fill container with (room temp) uht milk, place in about 4 very heaped dessert spoons of powdered milk and a couple of dessert spoons of store bought yoghurt, fill to the top with the rest of the uht milk then place in easiyo container as per the instructions.  Last time I made this I sweetened it afterwards with a simple jam that I made by gently heating some cherries and sugar together for about 10 mins, then cooled and stirred into the yoghurt.  Yummo.

#13 Mishka101

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

If you have an esky type thing and a jar and a thermometer, this is how you make yoghurt.

Heat a litre of normal full cream milk to 85 - 90 degrees. Let it cool to around 45 degrees. Add a tablespoon of cultured yoghurt  - we use bornhoffen(no more) to it and stir. Chuck it in the jar and put it in the esky thing for 6hrs. Then put in fridge. Then its whne its cooled you have lovely wonderful pure yoghurt. Add honey or whatever you want to flavor if you want.

Edited by talula, 29 February 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#14 dainz

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

I keep 1 TBSP from the old yogurt and add it to 1 1/2 cups of powdered milk then mix with water before putting it in the esiyo thing. Comes out perfectly everytime. I add fruit or plavours for the kids later, cause i like it natural for my smoothies. Every 10 times I use a fresh esiyo packet for new cultures. Much cheaper than a new packet everytime.

#15 Manda

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

Sam- LOL thats what i did (re honey) but dylan prefers Jam hehe, i also sprinkled a few crushed nuts over it too.

Thanks for letting me know how long it keeps original.gif No fear of it lasting that long here we are already more than halfway thru it!

I was just looking on the Easiyo site and they have some recipes using the yogurt if anyone is interested.

ETA- Click on cookbook under the full product range

Edited by hope701, 02 March 2008 - 08:06 AM.

#16 lavenderkids

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

biggrin.gif I am new to this site, previously just been looking and learining, I have found this site the best for suggestions and recipes for making yoghurt with the easyio maker so thought would ask mine here if thats all right.

I have followed the recipe from EB with powdered milk and its working great, still perfecting the thickness of the end product, but would like to know if anyone uses Skim powdered milk and if so how much, I tried one batch with 1 1/2 cups instead of the 1 1/3 cups normal powdered milk but it didn't set at all, any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks  original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.