How to stop a high pitch squeal??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bevsmum

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi, my daughter is 9 months and the last few days she has started a loud high pitch squeal quite often.  When we are home, when we are out, and its constant.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether this passes?  or how to stop it??

Many thanks as it can be a little embarrassing when I am out for coffee or doing the weekly shop etc.

Cheers

#2 kazzil

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

I have two babies doing that!! She's just found her voice and even though its hard to listen to, lots of babies do it so I'm sure others understand.

#3 proud2b

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

My daughter was doing that and it was extremely high pitched. She did it for a while because she got a reaction. We had another baby come around who wasn't use to loud noises and when she squealed he cried, so she continued squeling and she thought it was one great big joke.

I found that once she realised she wasn't going to get a reaction she stopped. It's amaxing how quickly babies can pick things up.

Hope this helps. Good luck. If all else fails ear plugs work, lol.

#4 acemummy

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hi My DD started the high pitch scream at around four months, she's 6 months now.  I found that people are more accepting if you make it sound like a good thing, I usually say " OH what beautiful singing, rather than asking to stop the screaming, it also appears to others that you are the one in control.

#5 stacca

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

DD has been doing it for about 4 weeks now. She's almost 10 months. In the car, at home, at the shops, even if I'm holding her. It varies from what sounds like a cockatoo screach to a really piercing squeal. Its horrid. DS never did it. Its driving us nuts.

She's just cut her first tooth (top one) and about to cut the second. I've noticed the squealing is worse on days when the teeth are really bugging her. It died down after that first tooth came through and started up again in force yesterday - just as the second tooth got really close. Also bad when she's tired or hungry... these days she's either giggling in happiness at something silly we've done or squealing.

as a pp said, the less attention you give it the sooner it dies down. For a while anyway

#6 sophplus1

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

My DD was doing this as well, she has recently slowed down a bit, because like your DD was doing it constantly  blink.gif  - I am so glad she has stopped doing it now...  I just ignored it, and gave her no reaction to it.  Although at times I wanted to laugh, as it was quite funny.  We would be doing the shopping and she would hear another child scream and she would make it her duty to ensure that she could scream louder - it would continue back and forth with the other child - It didn't bother me at all, and it certainly doesn't bother me when other children squeal, I think it is just that they have discovered their voice IYKWIM.  She has now discovered that she can screw her nose up and breath in and out and make a noise - so now the new thing is whenever anyone comes over to her to ADORE her she pulls her new face laughing2.gif  ohmy.gif  - they never stop learning new things, I love it...

I wouldn't stress too much - it sounds like it is a fairly normal, if all else fails - join in LOL!!! ohmy.gif  Seriously though ignoring it did work for us!!

HTH

#7 hamiriver

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Unfortunately, they will grow out of it. You cant make them stop either cry1.gif
My second son did this for about 6 months. Oh my, it was so piercing that it affected people's ear implants.

The best thing is to ignore it. Try not to laugh or give any positive attention. You could try making other softer noises for her to try and imitate.

#8 tmndk

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:04 AM

I thought that my boys were bad....mum used to laugh at me and say "You should hear girls...", Um....I think Daniel still beats Katie-Lee  rotflol...banchee boy  tee hee...but yeah, it gets your attention huh.... ohmy.gif

Mechelle

#9 Mama-of-two

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Its a phase a your little one is discovering new things.

My DD is currently going through the squealing phase.  Its not loud so its not annoying.

My DS has rediscovered squealing and it is annoying because it is sooooo LOUD and piercing  mad.gif  Plus he knows better because he's almost 3 years old.

#10 Guest_Cat©_*

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

Join her  tongue.gif

#11 mummummum

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

Got this here too, even worse when both DD's are at it over a toy... ddoh.gif  DD1 didnt do it til she was about 18mths and did it when someone was trying to take something off her, thats what it seems DD2 has been doing it for a couple of months, she's 11mths now.

Had an episode in Ikea that made me want to go hide in a Pax!! DD2 was just shreaking for no reason, every man and his dog was looking...  ph34r.gif

Hoping its a phase and nothing longlasting as its seriously giving me a headache

Edited by mummummum, 22 April 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#12 tinyweehen

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

DS squeals, 'sings' (opera style!) and growls, all very, very loudly!

Since he's only just 6 months, I don't react to it, unless he seems otherwise bothered by something.

Maybe get some ear-plugs!  laughing2.gif

#13 Victory

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

Lucy does it, I don't remember my other girls doing it ...

With Lucy it is one of her early 'tired signs'

#14 mamanatti

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

DS2 loves to do it when he's not getting the attention he desires and boy does it hurt the ear drums! I've tried "no, mummy doesn't like that" in a firm voice but it's not working so am moving onto the ignore it trial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.