Tips on De-Cluttering

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Princess

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hey

I thought this thread would come in handy- Feel free to add:

TIPS ON DE-CLUTTERING.

1. Only pull out what you CAN away within 30minutes- otherwise to much will get you overwhelmed

2. What you haven't used/Worn with 12 months- either Sell/Throw/Give Away

3. I Thoroughly sort through Kids Room- Toys etc every 3-6months- Chuck out broken toys/Pack Away Outgrown.

4. If you BORROW something return it within 1 week or ASAP- otherwise it adds to your clutter

5. Decide on LIMITS_ eg- How many Frying pans do you REALLY need- be Honest.

6. When Shopping- Think -- DO I REALLY NEED IT OR DO I JUST WANT IT- Needs and Wants are completely different.

hugs

Liz

Edited by superwifemum, 02 April 2008 - 07:52 PM.

#2 4b1g

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

Just adding my thoughts but the problem is getting motivated

TIPS ON DE-CLUTTERING.

1. Only pull out what you CAN away within 30minutes- otherwise to much will get you overwhelmed

2. What you haven't used/Worn with 12 months- either Sell/Throw/Give Away

3. I Thoroughly sort through Kids Room- Toys etc every 3-6months- Chuck out broken toys/Pack Away Outgrown.

4. If you BORROW something return it within 1 week or ASAP- otherwise it adds to your clutter

5. Decide on LIMITS_ eg- How many Frying pans do you REALLY need- be Honest.

6. When Shopping- Think -- DO I REALLY NEED IT OR DO I JUST WANT IT- Needs and Wants are completely different.

7. Go round your house and throw out at least one bag of rubbish a day.

8. Put everything out of a draw from your kitchen and into a box, pull out as you need to use it and anything left in there after 12mths throw out.

9. Sort paper as it arrives and throw out straight away what you don't need and note on a calander dates to remember.

Hope this helps somewhat. I'll be watching what others say

#3 Dirtsa

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

My mother always says (and apparently my granmother also said it) "Never waste a trip". When you're heading to the other end of the house, take something that needs to be put away at that end with you!

#4 ilovecream

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:09 AM

Clean as you go - Do not leave it to do another time.

#5 Literary Lemur

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

Declutter each day - a shelf, a drawer etc.  Keep the spots that clutter tends to build clear.  You know the places I mean.  For me it's the kichen bench and the dining table!!

Keeping the house clear of clutter is a daily habit not a once off project.

#6 QLDgirl

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Motivation is my hardest hurdle, so I bribe myself, if I want a new book then i must donate/sell 2 old ones, this works for clothes, toys, towels, garden eqipment etc etc...

#7 Manda

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:31 PM

Set a timer for 15 mins, then have a break. If your feeling really unmotivated then set the timer for 5 mins. DONT pull out more than you can so in that time.

Start small, every little bit counts  and its more motivating when you see that just doing that little thing has made a difference and the sense of accoplishment grows the more little things you do!

Write down  what you want to achieve and mark it off as you get a few things done, that really helps the motivation levels. Check out the MP thread for each day, they are good!

#8 sparrowf-art

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

My tip is to think about what you want the room to feel/look like before you start.  If you have a target it is easier to work towards then a vague I want less.
For example do you want a beach feel?  Holiday house look?  Exotic Bali?
This way you will know what belongs and what doesn't.

#9 Sassy mum

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Today is "throw out Thursday" in our house, everyone has to throw out at least one thing, I have already made one trip to the Vinnies bin. biggrin.gif  sassy mum

#10 wifeandmotherof3

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Writting things down is my best thing, I write down what i have to do in each room and i start with the hardest and end up with the easiest.I also tend to find that if you have music blarring in the background you cna get through it all abit faster.

#11 Newdisplayname

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:46 AM

I never throw out a empty nappy box, as soon as I empty one I fill it with things for vinnies. seems crazy but it worked for me this year. It coincided with rearranging our house and painting but as soon as a box was empty I went looking for things to fill it. At the moment I have a pile of box-less nappies in ds room.

#12 FrothyCoffee

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

Great list! I would add one that's worked great for me:

- If the job will take two minutes or less to get it done, DO IT NOW.

This generally applies to making the bed, taking out the rubbish, putting that stray piece of Lego inside its storage container (or whatever toy or item you come across).

#13 Moo876

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Check out the FLYLADY website www.flylady.com as it is all about de-cluttering and getting your home into shape.  Her idea is that any house work is better than none. She has baby steps to getting your home the way you want it.

#14 misshavok

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Moo876 @ 19/09/2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out the FLYLADY website www.flylady.com as it is all about de-cluttering and getting your home into shape.  Her idea is that any house work is better than none. She has baby steps to getting your home the way you want it.

I was just about the suggest the exact same thing.
Her Facebook is also a great place for motivation - www.facebook.com/theflylady
happy.gif

#15 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

Pick a space and clear it. only put back the absolute necessities, and store the rest for a month. if it hasnt been used in that time, ditch it.

Join your local freecycle or pay it forwards site/FB page. When someone posts a 'wanted' if you have the item, think about passing it on to someone who needs it now original.gif

#16 kazzamama

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

These are all good tips... my DH says (but doesn't often follow) OHIO - only handle it once.
So (in theory) when he takes his coat off, he hangs it straight up. When I have looked at a book, I put it straight away, rather than putting it on the table to put away later.
The other thing I try to do is FIFO (full in, full out) - never walk into or out of a room with empty hands. So even if I'm not actively cleaning, I'll grab a toy from the floor while I'm on the way to the playroom, and put it away. Keeps mess down without much extra effort.

#17 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

This is a blast from the past Superwifemum!!!

#18 mummato2boys

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

I find if I am careful about the areas where I know mess builds up easily then it doesn't get as out of control.

There is a decluttering challenge going on in June on this website that I am doing. http://keepcalmgetor...tter-challenge/ (sorry I don't know how to add a link properly but you can copy it).

I just realised this is not a current conversation. Sorry, it was at the top of the page when I looked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.