Circumcision for 8year old

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 fairymagic

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:48 PM

We need to have our 8 year old son circumcised (and an umbilical hernia repaired (minor)).Without getting into a debate about whether or not circumcisions should or shouldn't be done (our son needs it done for medical reasons), I was wondering if anyone else out there has had it done on the older child and how they went with the surgery and recovering for the operation. Thanks for any replies.

Edited by clh03, 09 May 2008 - 02:55 PM.

#2 colleen44

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:46 PM

My son is almost 7 and was circumcised for medical reasons on Tuesday am.  Maybe we drew the short strew but it hasn't really been a pleasant experiece for any of us.  The rest of the day of the opration and for some time into the night was a dream because he was given a block (epidural) during the procedure to assist with pain relief.  However, once the block wore off, the fun began.

It is so sore for him, especially when we remove the dressing for him to go to the toilet, drops of wee burn and of course, putting on a new dressing is just as much fun.  Funny enough, a poo doesn't affect anything.  He just wouldn't drink a drop of anything because weeing is initially so painful. So then you start worrying about dehydration etc.   He developed an infection yesterday, which is no surprise because just putting pieces of nappy liners smothered with vaseline cannot be germ free.  I took him to the gp today and was given an anibiotic cream and oral antibiotics.  

Despite the infection, end of day 3 and into day 4 seems to be the turning point when the pain almost magically disappears.  He is almost human again.  Walking fine, making jokes again, not afraid of the toilet, or the dressing.

From the start, I gave him panadol every 4 hours which, had I not, dressing change would have been even worse of a nightmare.  The penis does look very different afterwards - bruised, swollen, weeping, blood, crusty.  It is difficult to say what is normal after this operation and what is the onset of an infection.   He himself found the look of the penis very gross and often nearly fainted just looking at it.   The stitches stick to the dressing if not enough vaseline is applied.  The worst dressing change is in the morning.  I have no idea for how long to apply the dressing.  Wasn't told this.  Make sure you find out.  

We got plenty of verbal abuse from him as to why we made him have this operation, that he'll never have an operation ever again etc. (probably the kind of abuse a husband gets while his wife is going through labor).  I feel so sorry for him.  It is almost an inborn thing for him to feel protective over his little penis poor little guy.  He definitely suffered pain but he is definitely getting over it and I reckon that if he didn't develop an infection, he could be back at school on Monday already.

Hope it goes well.  The sooner done the better.

#3 fairymagic

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am not looking forward to this at all and after trying for the last 4 months with cream applied daily with no result (he can't retract his foreskin at all), we were advised to consider a circumcision. The problem is that of course we could leave it until he is older but in the Drs opinion, it is better to get it done whilst younger than needing to have it done as an adult. He feels that because the foreskin is so tight he will probably have problems when he reaches puberty and has an erection. It would be nice to have ESP so you could know what would happen in a few years time if we were to leave it. At our last appointment, the doctor also discovered that our son has a very mild umbilical hernia which he can repair at the same time. We will get it done to save having to have another operation down the track but the circumcision is what worries me and how well he will recover from it. We have already been given the information about risks and what to do with the dressing. I was shocked to read that the procedure itself has a high complication rate. 10% will develop a wound infection requiring antibiotics. Some will develop scabs which can be painful and interfere with urinating. sad.gif Some need to have repeat surgery done! We were told that the dressing will fall off when the swelling has settled - any time from 1 - 14 days! Not sure what you do about them going to school with this on? sad.gif My God, this is really starting to worry me now and I'm a nurse/midwife! Both he and my DD have been through surgery and have been okay but with this one I'm not as confident that the recovery period is going to be as good. Thanks for letting me know how your son went. I have organised my rosters so I can have quite a few days off after his surgery in case he isn't up to going back to school.

#4 lovingmother

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

my friend had it done when he was 8 and he said that the pain was really bad and he had 2 weeks off school as he could not wee or walk that much.

#5 fairymagic

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the replies especially the PP - fairly blunt sad.gif I spoke to another mum today who has a friend whose son was done and she said he didn't have any problems at all recovery wise so I'm hoping that my DS will be in that category not like the ones above. My DS (twilight zone) has a problem similar to your sons - you can't see the head of his penis at all and he does seem to have a lot of skin there when trying to retract it. What do they do with a partial circ.? Is there a risk that the skin may still be tight and he need more surgery? Just trying to see if the risks are the same as a normal circ. or maybe better so that I could query this option with my DS's doctor.

Loving Mother - how long ago did your friend have his done. Sounds like he was on the severe end of the complications scale and whilst I appreciate your feedback I think in this situation it may have been better left unsaid as it was rather blunt and as a mother who is already scared to death about this procedure I think you could have been a little more empathetic.?

Edited by clh03, 14 May 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#6 fairymagic

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes, my DS's penis does bulge at the end before the urine starts to flow. Because you can't see the head of his penis at all I think this is why we have to go the full circumcision and not a partial one. Hopefully all will go well. hands.gif

#7 fairymagic

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

Just wanting to see how the PP DS went after his circumcision?  The countdown is on now for our son and after assisting the doctor that comes to our hospital circumcise 4 boys the other day I am now not regretting our decision to have our son done despite him now needing it. sad.gif Anyway, just wanted to see how PP son is doing and hoping he is ok.

#8 fairymagic

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thankyou so much for the reply and I am glad to hear your son is doing so well - I have my fingers crossed my son will do as well. Thanks again for the reply - it really starts to reassure me when I hear the positive stories out there.

#9 170404chris

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Just found this thread and have a simila problem to *twilight~zone*, in as much as my 6 yo son has a partially tethered foreskin.

We had him to the drs over 6 months ago and he said keep retracting it for the next year or two and come back to see him if it hasn't improved.  I haven't seen any improved since then.

He is able to retract most if it, but one side is 'stuck' to the head of the penis.  His foreskin also 'bubbles' when he passes urine.  Touch wood he has never had any urinating problems or infections.

Twilight~zone, if you are still out there, could you please clarify for me exactly what surgery your son had?  Am I right in assuming that he did not require a full circumcision?  I really don't want this to happen for my son as he is the eldest of 3 boys and I would hate for him to look different to his brothers  (mind you he would then look like his dad!!!) BTW, whereabouts are you...we are in Melbourne and if by chance you are too, I would love to know which surgeon did the prcedure!

#10 OscarAndTilly

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. we had a surgical appt yesterday for our 12yr old son and he will also need to be circumcised as his foreskin barely retract. It is very tight.

The surgeon said that this will cause a lot of issues when puberty hits and also there is a high risk of infection.

I am now waiting on them to send me out a quote for the operation as we have decided to go private rather than wait for public.

It will be interesting to see what the surgeons fee is considering the scheduled fee is $165. I'm guessing somewhere around $500.

Anyways that's besides the point. He needs to have it done so it will be done asap.

The surgeon recommended a wk or 2 off school but said that there would be no need to change dressing??

I also asked him about retracting foreskin etc and what age you should start doing that (as we have a 9month old DS also) and he said that you don't have to do it at all.

What have other people been told in regards to this?

Anyway thanks again for sharing your stories as it is very helpful to read how other older boys have coped with this procedure.

#11 ~JASB~

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

I have just stumbled across this thread.  My 5yo DS2 has been on cortisone cream for his very tight foreskin - so tight his urine doesn't flow straight down - it kind of hooks off to the side.  He also 'balloons' when he urinates.  My GP told me yesterday he thinks there's only a "very slim chance" that Adam will be able to avoid circumcision sad.gif  In his case he thinks it's because of scar tissue/adhesions from the many catheters Adam has had in the past.

He has a long surgical history for his severe bowel condition so I'm just gutted for him that something else is happening to him now as well sad.gif

We weren't supposed to see his surgeon for another 5 months (his standard checkup appt) so my GP has written to the surgeon regarding the foreskin issues to get us in to see him soon.  At least I already have a paed surgeon who I have 100% trust in - that's a bonus at least.

I really don't want this to happen for my son as he is the eldest of 3 boys and I would hate for him to look different to his brothers (mind you he would then look like his dad!!!)

Change that to "middle of 3 boys" and that's exactly how I'm feeling about it too!  Adam is already "different" with toileting because of his bowel issues, it makes me sad that his penis is going to look different to his brothers too.  But like you, at least we can tell him that his is like his dad's.  I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling sad about him being different to his brothers - I was wondering if I was being a bit silly thinking about that  blush.gif

~*twilight~zone*~ I'm so sorry to read your update sad.gif  Please do come back and let us know how your son is going.

Adam hasn't started school yet - he was supposed to be in prep this year but we held him back due to still needing extra toileting assistance.  So as much as I don't want this done, if it had to be done, I would prefer to get it out of the way this year, before starting school next year.  Will have to wait and see what his surgeon thinks.

Michaela

#12 fairymagic

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Sorry to hear of the hassles some of you have had with you DS circumcision/partial circumcision. I ended up postponing my DS until Oct because of the surgery conflicting on a couple of school things and special family events.

Its interesting to see how many of you are using the steroid cream. We initially started using that at the recommendation of the GP whilst waiting to see the paediatric surgeon but when we saw him, he stated that it is not used as treatment for a tight foreskin anymore but instead, he recommended a cream similar to nappy rash cream that prevents the tissue getting red and inflammed from urine sitting under the foreskin and allows the new skin (which I think he says grows every 2 weeks - may not be right with time but it does regenerate very quickly) to be healthy and not inflammed leading to a greater chance of the skin being able to be retracted.  We tried this for some months and unfortunately it didn't work for us buy may be worth trying for those of you still trying to get things sorted without surgery.

Good luck to those whose sons are about to undergo surgery.

Also interesting to note is that as a midwife we do not recommend retracting the foresking however, when I went to a GP the other day, the nurse there said she had gently retracted her grandsons foreskin from a very early age and that she had successfully been able to do so however, she stopped babysitting him for a period of time and her daughter didn't do it and apparently the skin became adherred to the tip of the penis again. Not sure if I would be happy to try and retract the foreskin of a 6 month old baby although part of me does wish I had tried a little earlier than was probably recommended. mellow.gif

#13 Sambambino

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:18 AM

cry1.gif  cry1.gif  cry1.gif

I have just read this and think that I had better take my DS off to the Dr. He is 12 and his foreskin still doesn't retract.

We saw a Dr about it when DS was about 7 but he didn't seem overly concerned. After reading this thread though it sounds as if he may need the op.

I feel sick to the stomach.

cry1.gif

Edited to add I have just called the GP to make an appointment. This thread really has me thinking. I guess I just have never known much about foreskin issues and as the previous GP wasn't too worried i wasn't either. It has never seemed to bother DS that it doesn't retract but he does have a lot of skin there and from the PPs it seems like at least some of it will have to come off.

Edited by Sambambino, 07 July 2008 - 04:20 PM.

#14 OscarAndTilly

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

Chrissy - Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Your doctor sounds wonderful too. We have just got back from booking DS in. He will be going in on 23rd July.

The doctor has said that he should only be there for the day but if he has any problems with bleeding he would have to stay overnight. Other than that its just a matter of him weeing and he will be able to go home.

The dr has also said that there will be no dressing to change, which I thought was a bit strange after reading other accounts of dressings having to be changed etc. He said that the dressing is tied on and just has to come off by itself.

I know that this is something that has to be done but I am a bit apprehensive about it tbh. Probably partly because DS other issues (aspergers/adhd) that could make him get very anxious etc.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. It is really helpful.

#15 Sambambino

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:01 PM

May I ask if any of you are in Melbourne and if so which hospital did you go to?

#16 ~JASB~

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:15 PM

clh03 Thanks for that information about the steroid creams.  Will be interesting to see what my DS's surgeon says about that.  I'd be more than happy to try a different cream before looking at circumcision.
I find that very strange what your GP's nurse said too about her retracting her grandson's foreskin.  No way I'd be doing that on a baby!

Sambambino Your GP will probably suggest trying some creams first too - I hope they work for your DS.

~*twilight~zone*~ Oh your poor DS has been thru the wringer with this hasn't he? sad.gif  Hope he recovers well.

RenaeT Good luck for the 23rd.  I hope it all goes smoothly for your DS.

#17 OscarAndTilly

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:05 PM

Chrissy - thanks for explaining about the dressings. That is an excellent idea. I have some dressings here from after my c/s (still sealed) so will try the same thing with DS.

Jas - Thanks for the good wishes. Can't wait until its well behind us.

#18 joflow

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

Hello, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you may have had the operation needlessly.  The average age of retraction for a boy is 10 years of age.  This is perfectly natural.  The foreskin is attached to the glans at birth and it separates naturally.  You seem to have been told to pull it back.  This is incorrect advise.  Forcing the foreskin back creates scar tissue which is inelastic and it causes the precise problem you are trying to prevent.  Ballooning of the foreskin is also perfectly normal.  In Australia routine infant circumcision has started to die out, whereas before then a lot of men had it done.  Now less than 10% of boys are circumcised.  Unfortunately this also means that not many people are familiar with the intact penis.  They don't know that the bes advice is to just leave it alone.

please read these links and make yourself informed on this matter so that needless circumcisions can be prevented.  Remember "leave it alone" is the best advice.  99% of boys become retractable naturally by age 18.

Guidelines for intact penis: it tells you all you need to know

#19 likes

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Sambambino @ 07/07/2008, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cry1.gif  cry1.gif  cry1.gif

I have just read this and think that I had better take my DS off to the Dr. He is 12 and his foreskin still doesn't retract.

We saw a Dr about it when DS was about 7 but he didn't seem overly concerned. After reading this thread though it sounds as if he may need the op.

I feel sick to the stomach.

cry1.gif

I know this is a while back now but I couldn't find a further post saying what happened to Sambamino's boy.

Coincidentially a friend's boy of nine was having this problem. What happened was that she changed doctors and the new one had a bit of an obsession about the skin going back. Turns out there is nothing to worry about if there are no infections etc:

http://www.noharmm.org/anatomy.htm

http://vodpod.com/watch/718259-the-prepuce...of-the-foreskin

If it won't go back by the midteens there is a non-surgical method used in Europe that is documented here:
http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/beauge2/

You may want dad to have that chat though biggrin.gif

Edited by likes, 30 June 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#20 localyokel

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

You arent meant to try and retract the foreskin of babies.  From memory i think it is around 18 months to 2 years that it is able retract.  I recall a paediatrician with a sense of humour saying that you didnt need to teach little boys to retract their foreskin as they were usually playing around with it so much at that age they learned how to do it themselves!  I think the nurse that was discussing what she did with her grandson was quite unprofessional.  It is really the dr's place to be giving you advice even if hers was correct.  
I hope that all those who have surgery planned have everything go well.  I do recall a mother who made her son some very manly nightshirts for after his surgery so it wouldnt get rubbed on pj pants.  Ali

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.