Non-Vaccinated Kids Discussion #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#51 ReneS

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

funkymumkey56 You can get a CO form from your local Family health centre, or your GP, i think you can print it from somewhere too shrug.gif unsure of that.
I usually just make an appointment at my Family health centre, and one of nurses there fills it in and signs it for me. ALOT easier than going to the GP.

#52 Taurean

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Medicare
Co form from

Lets us know how you go with Homeopathics

#53 PuntersWife

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

I was reading at the beginning of this thread about the reactions to homeopathic vaccinations.  My homeopath/naturopath has a machine that she somehow infuses water with the relevant disease and you just give the child 5 drops a day for a week etc.  Usually the full range of childhood diseases can be covered in two bottles, $15 each. This machine is the latest technology from Germany, it cost her a bomb (which is why many homeopaths don't have it).  But it truly works, she has cured my husband of a virus similar to glandular fever, and she cured my thrush (temporary relief) and ross river virus.  There are no side effects to this homeopathic prophylaxis. I have given it to both my children.
To give you an idea of how popular she is, she has a two month wait for an appointment. If anyone wants her name, PM me.  She is on the North Shore.  
Also, I made an appt at the local Early Childhood Centre the other day and asked for someone who was tolerant of my decision not to immunise my children. I used to get the same midwife who gave me a lecture all the time.  They were pretty good about it and gave me someone else.  I think it's important to not be ashamed of our decision, and stick up for it in the face of stiff opposition.

#54 ReneS

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Punterswife OMG, that's amazing!! No idea where the north shore is, but love to know who she is so i can refer others to her if i ever need too.

Also love to find out what that machine is too.

#55 funkymumkey56

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info re CO. I cancelled my appointment with Homeopath as I would prefer to find one I can continue going to once I move to sunshine coast (in a few months).
I was wondering whether anyone on this forum knew of a good one around Noosa/Eumundi that they could recommend?
I've read previous threads and am so happy to find such a wealth of information, THANK YOU! grin.gif

Edited by funkymumkey56, 05 June 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#56 precious1

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:31 PM

Funkymumkey, I have a homeopath I see that lives at Twin Waters and also has a stall at the Eumundi markets. The stall is for the homeopathic vet stuff. Her name is Beverly Barkway. Let me know when you get here and I can follow up for you...

#57 nicolelh

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

To those who are considering using homeoprophylaxis, I"d encourage you to read "What doctors don't tell you about children's vaccinations' (or maybe it's "what they don't...") by Dr Stephanie Cave. It has some interesting things in  it about why it may be IMPORTANT for our children to GET chicken pox, measles etc. JALP and the latest one, FOPTA, also have info about this.

I personally had measles at 19 years of age, only 8 years ago, so I remember it well, adn being older, I had a bad-ish case. Would I choose to vaccinate for measles after this experience - NO WAY!

#58 Mum2NE1

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:05 AM

I'm reluctantly going to get Abs his 6 month doses as they will complete the ones he's started, but I do not intend to immunise at 12 or 18 months or get the MMR at 4 yrs.

You don't have to get the 6 month dose done if you don't want to, there's no harm in stopping at whatever stage your child is at.

#59 babymoo

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

I'm reluctantly going to get Abs his 6 month doses as they will complete the ones he's started

My DD had her 2 month and 4 month shots but I stopped there.
Like the PP post said you don't have to get the 6 month ones.

#60 BonnieKing

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

nicolelh - I just finished reading that book about two days ago. I found it really informative. It would be a good book to read if you were undecided about vaccinating or not because it shows both points of view.

I am still undecided about the Vitamin K. DH seems to be leaning towards giving the oral drops but I am not so sure. The more I research it the more confused I get.  rolleyes.gif

#61 nicolelh

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

for me, the vit k issue was easily solved - I hadnt' had time to research it, so I said no! However, I've done the research since and it's easy for me to decide again for next time:

-Vit K comes down to human arrogance, plain and simple. Whether you believe in God, as I do, or in evolution, it doesn't matter. The argument FOR vitamin K is this:

"Babies do not get enough vitamin K from their mothers during pregnancy or when they are breastfeeding.'

Taken from the official national health and medical research council pamphlett available here:

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/synop..._files/ch38.pdf

The question is: how do they define "enough?" What it really says it 'babies do not get as much as WE, the all knowing humans, think that they SHOULD have.' What arrogance! It has been shown that breastmilk has anti-cancer properties that protect against heaps of different kinds of childhood cancer; that it protects against literally hundreds of parasites, bacteria, viral and fungal infections; that it is a natural laxative to help expel meconium; that it is, in every respect, a 100% complete and perfect food for the newborn, up to 6 or more months of life. Oh, but it's "deficient' in vitamin K. like there's no chance that God/nature knew better????????

not only has that study shown some link with childhood cancer, but every one of the other studies that supposedly disproved the link showed a consistent small increase in some type of leukaemia - although they decided that increase was statistically insignificant. My friends, if the increase shows up across 6 studies, that makes it a whole lot MORE significant! Not to mention, if it was statistically insignificant then the only way to clear it up would be to do a bigger study. this has never been done.

Also, something I remember reading but unfortunately have lost teh references to, is that in certain types of cancer vitamin K appears to be involved in the early development of the tumours. this is natural vitamin k that is strangely seeming to "help' the cancer. without references I can't explain much about it but basically, since we don't know for certain whether or not vitamin K could have this role, how can we possibly say that an infant is "naturally deficient' as I heard someone say - without being sure that it's not "naturally protected from' excess vitamin K! (at a time in life where it may be more dangerous in cancer or less important for clotting - hey - who knows!) We don't know, and therefore to presume that we know better than God/evolution is playing with fire. He got everything else in pregnancy and breastfeeding perfect - why would this have been stuffed up?????

from the national health and medical research council again:

"There are no randomised-controlled trials that adequately address the effectiveness of prophylaxis in preventing VKDB. The results of surveillance systems in different countries, including Australia, have been used to infer effectiveness by recording the type of prophylaxis used in reported cases of VKDB (Cornelissen et al 1997)."

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/fullhtml/jointk.htm

I really don't like them "inferring" with something so important! having said that, it probably DOES prevent the bleeding, but at what cost to teh vast vast vast majority of babies who would never have bleeding without it?

the other argument for it's safety is that it's been in use in australia for 28 years "without ill effect." Ah, guys, the people who were given it aren't even 30 yet. How do you knwo that they're not all goign to have problems in their offspring, or some disease of the elderly because their dna was altered or something at newborn stage? while it might seem unlikely that something would show up so late, it's certainlyh possible as we're interfering with something during the time in teh baby's life when they are growing adn adjusting to the world so rapidly - how do we know that the vitamin K isn't changing the way their cells differentiate and multiply? something that mightn't be important until menopause or soemthing! we can't know!

also, when it comes to 'no ill effects' - what effects have they been looking for? if the doctors refuse to believe that babies could have a seemingly unrelated reaction - say teh development of autoimmune diseases - then doctors will never link them with the injection. that would mean that a pattern which is there could well go unnoticed. I NEVER trust a statement that says soemthing has been used for such and such a time wtihout ill effect. The effect is so rarely noticed unless it's immediate. yes, there's probably no immediate effect, but those effects worry me less than long term ones!

anyway, that's my argument, maybe it might help you. good luck with the decision.

#62 BonnieKing

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for that nicolelh. It made me think about some different points I hadn't thought of. I might get DH to read your post. Thanks again.  original.gif

#63 blissfulqueenb

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:34 AM

nicoleh - well said!  I was looking for the clapping smiley, but couldn't find it.

I could have written your post word-for-word myself.  I agree 100%

#64 daffodil27

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

Excuse the crassness of hollyood drama - but I read this about Cahrlie Sheen not wanting his kids vaccinated! Interesting huh??? wonder what sort of press it will evoke!!

Jim Carey and his wife Jennie McCarthy also publically oppose vaccinations as they feel it caused their sons autism!

Edited by daffodil27, 11 June 2008 - 03:24 PM.

#65 mamabee

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

HI everyone!  original.gif
I have been meaning to look for a CO thread for a while now and here you are! Have enjoyed reading the previous threads from liked minded Mums and Dads!

I have 3 boys, 9yrs, 2 yrs and 15 weeks and they all are not vacinated with the exception of my 9 yr old who has had the tetanus which he had when he had a nasty cut. At the time I explained to the nurse that I only wanted him to have tetanus and not the whooping cough and diphtheria and she said "yes, yes, that's fine" . Later I discovered that he had received all of them!  rant.gif

My GP hasn't gone so far as agreeing with my decision to be a CO, but hasn't lectured me or anything either and have no probs getting her to sign the paperwork. On a recent visit we were casually discussing it and she mentioned as I have all boys, the only one she would recommend is the measles, mumps and rubella , due to the risk of male sterility if they were to catch mumps or measles later in life . While I haven't run out and had them all jabbed, it has given me something to think about, especially with my eldest in his "tweens".  I have also had thought about the Hep B for him as well.

What do you guys think? Are there any vaccinations that you would consider for your kids at later stages of development?
Just wanting to get some opinions on this and to say "HI"

Edited by mamabee, 19 June 2008 - 02:31 PM.

#66 2goreousgirls27

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Mamabee:  We will probably get the ruebella done for our DD's when they hit their early teens, although I will have blood tests done first to check if they already have natural immunity.

#67 LOZGUS+2

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

hi guys

my ds is almost 8m and he's had no vaccinations either.

my qst: i sent in my CO form to Centrelink to get family benefits when he was 2 weeks old, and as yet, i have not heard from them. surprise surprise!!!

has anyone received govt payment for their unimmunised children?

Edited by LozGus, 20 June 2008 - 04:12 PM.

#68 naturalgoodness

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

LozGus - I never heard from them either and had to chase it up myself when I got a letter saying my child care benefit had been cancelled  wacko.gif

I received the immunisation allowance for DS2 a few years ago, so assume I will receive it again for DD2  tongue.gif

mamabee - No, it is my intention not to immunise at all. My homeopath has told me to let her know if anyone ever needs tetanus as she can take care of it.

#69 blissfulqueenb

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Just something else to read for those who may not already subscribe to Mercola

Chopra's new book

#70 precious1

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

As Carla mentioned - here is the youtube link to some scary stuff that is in that report. That saves you having to subscribe - however Dr Mercola has awesome info and it is well worth subcribing to his newsletter:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edikv0zbAlU
Have a look at the related topics on the side - there is also many follow on from this and other info as well.

Edited by precious1, 22 June 2008 - 11:26 AM.

#71 funkymumkey56

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Thank you to Peta for info on Homeopath on Sunny Coast original.gif

Mum2NE1 and babymoo, you're right about not needing to get 6 month jabs, I have decided not to. Thanks for your support.
My decision not to immunize became easy after doing more reading and getting some info from a homeopath up here.

I went for Abs' 6 month check today at the Community Health Center. I had the CO form filled out ,signed by both my DH and I and ready to get signed but the boss at the centre told her staff not to sign anything. I will be going to a GP to get it signed instead.

Good health for you and your bubs. rolleyes.gif

#72 tanj

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi,
I am new to this forum and have a few questions re non-immunisations.

My son is 6 1/2 months old, he has received his two month old immunisations but that is all.  I have done research into this, and at the moment are delaying his immunsations.  The plan currently with a very suppotive GP is to have his 4mth immunisations at 9mths of age and only one at a time.

My questions is, do you see a naturoptah or homeopath in regards to babies that aren't immunised? We are in Adelaide, so any reccomendation would be great.  We also see a chiro which i beleive helps.

Also, what are the chances of my little one cacthing something like whooping cough of another baby who has just been immunised with her 6 month shots?

Also has anyone delayed their childs immunisations? Any recomendation on when to delay what immunisation at what age?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Tanj

Edited by tanj, 07 July 2008 - 02:05 PM.

#73 nicolelh

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

whooping cough shots aren't live so she can't catch that particular one, although there is a small, albeit real possibility that she could catch measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox or rotavirus from a baby that had recently had one of those. this is pretty unlikely but rotavirus is a definite concern as a large number of recently vaccinated babies shed virus from that particular one - it's in thier poos.

the main question you need to ask is whether or not YOU ever had whooping cough, measles and chicken pox. these are the ones your son is most likely to come into contact with and if you had htem nad are breastfeeding, he has a reasonable degree of protection against them so ther'es little point worrying - if it happens, it happens and was probably going to happen regardless of how careful you were! if you're not breastfeeding, or if you were vaccinated against these things instead of catching them naturally, then you convey minimal protection to him and he could catch them.

the other thing you really need to ponder on is:

-is he a healthy baby?
if so - is it really such a disaster if he catches one of these diseases? are these diseases really as bad and untreatable as the pro-scaring people into having vaccines-doctors really say they are?

to answer your question about homeopaths, dd is unvaxed and no has never been to a homeopath, although she does see a chiro fairly regularly. I don't believe homeopathics are necessary when there is no illness, and I do not know at all whether or not homeopathic "vaccines" really work. what I do know is that if they do work, it's not necessarily in your child's best interests to prevent most of these diseases. olk, obviously polio and diptheria arne't likely to be encountered unless you're planning to travel to a very remote region of hte third world, so that doens't count so much. oh, and hep B is definitely best avoided but if you positively know that your household are all free of it then there is NO risk of your son catching it except through sexual activity or needle sharing etc - unlikely at his age I would hope!

as for hib, meningoccoccal and pneumococcal diseases - the vaccines give a child immunity to a NORMAL bacteria that live in the throat ALL THE TIME without causing any symptoms in the vast vast majority of people. there are some very serious repercussions from removing these NORMAL bacteria from the throat in a healthy child - including incrasing the chance that the child will come down with a more serious version of meningitis or a golden staph infection. don't take my word for that one, read it yourself sd it's so important. as far as potential repercussions are concerned, I think these 3 vaccines are by far the most dangerous, awnd I'm not referring to side effects either. I think the INTENDED effects of these vaccines are very very badly thought through.

good luck with your research, only you can make your decision, what I've said here is as accurate as I know it to be based on my research but i"m not a qualified doctor so don't take it as personal medical advice!
thjanks, sorry, dd typing with me.

#74 *Bobcat*

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hello,
Just lurking here a bit. Thought I'd introduce myself - my DS is 13 months and hasn't had any vaccinations except the Vit k at birth which my DP was scared into since DS was 5 weeks prem and had ventouse to help him out so was bruised on the head.
DP is a chiro, I'm a naturopath. DS eats only whole organic food and is breastfed.
I think this is a basic right to choose and I hate it when people use guilt and sick baby stories to push their point.

#75 nicolelh

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hey luka, your bub is only 3 days older than mine!

welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.