How many breastfeeds a day for 7 month old?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silvershoes

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

I usually demand feed dd which can be anywhre from 1-3 hourly but she tends to snack lots and never get a full feed.  (And she's still feeding at least twice overnight)
My CHN said to try and strech her feeds and feed her 4 hourly so that she gets a full feed each time.  
If this is the case she will only be getting 4 breastfeeds a day.  It doesnt seem like a lot to me or do you think this is right for a 7 month old?
How often are others feeding their babies around this age?

#2 Kez82

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

My DD is getting around 6 feeds a day and generally goes 3 hourly between them. 5 during the day and 1 dreamfeed at around 10pm.

Hope this helps!

#3 apple123

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Yes, 4 feeds a day is what the experts say a 7 month old should be getting, basically 4 hourly at 6am, 10, 2, 6pm and then they are supposed to sleep through the night. That is sufficient for them (assuming they are taking solids as well).

I can only hope my DS2 will be sleeping through by then! Me thinks not!

1-3 hourly is quite often and I would try to get her to more the 3-4 hour mark so she does take a full feed each time and learns how to fill her tummy up. Also, this is much less demanding and draining on you, both in terms of time and also energy, so will be better for you both. Hopefuly this will also encourage her to sleep a bit better at night as well.

Good luck

#4 violets

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

DD dropped from 5 to 4 feeds at around 7 months.  She was feeding (very roughly)around 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 7pm and one feed overnight.We dropped a feed by giving breakfast around 8am, bf around 9:30am, lunch 12pm, bf around 2:30pm, dinner around 5pm, bf around 7pm then another bf overnight.

#5 Quick hedgehog

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hi, my DD is 10 months, and usually will still have at least 5 feeds a day. Last feed at 7.30pm and sleeps until 6am for a feed, then back to sleep. I pretty much still demand feed during the day, ie. if she is cranky, first thing I do is offer a feed.
My DS was the same.  You don't have to alter your feeding habits if they are working for you, if you don't want to.

#6 Jayniepoo

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

My DD is having 6 sometimes 7 feeds a day. She's still not very interested in solids, so havent really had much luck there!

#7 tinyweehen

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

While the experts say 4-5 feeds, DS pretty much insists on 6 or even 7 feeds over 24 hours.  He eats absolutely masses of food too.  

I feel like I'm having the life sucked out of me sometimes (literally)...sometimes I feel like giving up, but we've made it this far....

#8 Aprillbell

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

My DD is demand fed but I think its generall

6:30 am then 7:30 am (she has one side plays while I shower etc then has the other and goes to sleep just in time for the walk to school)

Then again probably 10-11ish then around 4ish then around 7 then she sleeps through.

So 4
But she has 2 serves of solids a day as well.
Sometimes she may have more, some times less...

Its very irregular as I will feed when and whereever she demands it and she has slept through from 7-8pm till 6am since 8 weeks of age.

I try not to think about her feeds, as long as she is happy and healthy and obviously gaining weight then I'll give her what she wants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.