Baby-friendly disinfectant/household cleaner?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 melissaappel

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

Hi all

Can anyone recommend an effective household disinfectant that's safe to use on baby's toys and environmentally friendly? We like to do our bit for the planet so we use the range of Seventh Generation and Eco Planet products. I'd also love to hear from anyone who makes up their own disinfectant and/or cleaning products.
Cheers,
Mel grin.gif

#2 Kim85

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

Vinegar! I use it everywhere!

#3 BonnieKing

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

Second on the vinegar!  original.gif

#4 Bluie

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

Sorry - don't mean to sound too stupid but what sort of vinegar do you use? Is there a special one for cleaning and do you dilute it or use it as is?

#5 BonnieKing

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

Just white vinegar is fine. I buy the cheap stuff (savings brand). Some people dilute, others don't. Its only vinegar so it can't do any harm. I dilute sometimes. Guess it just depends on how lazy I am and how much vinegar I have left! I use it for washing too.  biggrin.gif

#6 upup

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

Tea tree and eucalytus also works!

#7 cmack

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

I soak DS's bath toys in a solution of white vinegar and bi-carb soda.  You can also use 1 part vinegar a couple of tbspoons of bicarb soda and hot water to wash your floors.  Enjo cleaning cloths, although very expensive are great for the bathroom.  You only need water and the cloth. Very environmentally friendly!  I heard, but not tried, diluted lemon juice and water can take off soap scum in the shower.

#8 cloudgirl

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

i fifth the vinegar! my grandma and mum used and i do too!
we buy the cheap 2L bottles of white vinegar.
I have a spray bottle of vinegar for wiping benches and cleaning mirrors etc and i also use it for mopping the floor/cleaning the toilet and bath and a million other things.
Bi-Carb is also your new (old) best friend. Used with Vinegar it creates a fizz that cleans the inside of toilets, teacups and removes grease and stains.
and the best thing is - its not poisionus!

#9 sashels

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

If you wanted to buy something, nutrimetics have a natural cleaning products range - i've used their laundry liquid for my DS and it's been fine for him - and much cheaper than baby sensitive skin laundry liquid. They also sell a multi purpose cleaner which i use to disinfect and clean toys - it can be used for everything from bubble bath, the dishes, cleaning pets, cleaning tiles, bathroom etc etc and they also have a heavi clean for oil spills, cleaning the oven etc.

I am with nutri myself and don't mean this post to get you to buy, but wanted to promote the products to you as they are a great natural alternative that are safe for your babies, great for the environment and a good price.

xx

#10 macymoo

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

There is a Vanilla cleaner you can get at the supermarket and all that's in it is ethanol and vanilla extract.  The ethanol disinfects and evaporates.  I use it everywhere and it smells amazing - highly recommended!! rolleyes.gif

#11 JMKP31

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

I am also looking for a natural cleaner.  To all the vinegar users, does it make your house smell vinegary or does the smell go away quite fast?

#12 ruffy

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

Check this web site out for uses for vinegar... it works great.
http://www.vinegartips.com/cleaning/

I've been converted!

#13 mamabee

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

I use Cinderella cleaning products which are available from Coles Supermarkets. They are 100% biodergradable, kid and pet safe, and smell divine!  wub.gif .They have a Peppermint Multi-Purpose spray, a Coconut Bathroom cleaner  ( my fave!) and also floor and oven cleaners.
I love em'!  original.gif

#14 Snicketts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

Another vote for Cinderella products, Natural Instinct do a nice Multi-Purpose Spray too.

I've tried vinegar several times but the smell always puts me off  sick.gif it makes me sneeze!  So I find the scent of the Cinderella and Natural Instincts products much nicer original.gif  My mum swears by vinegar and I swear I couldnt' stay in the house when she used to clean with it.  The smell never bothered her though.  Maybe I'm just overly sensitve to it..

#15 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

Soap and warm water. You don't need anything else. And it's just as effective.

It's better for the environment, better for your family, and super cheap.

https://www.betterhe...eaning-products

Also, vinegar is supposed to be the best for mould. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.