why have you chosen to go private?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#26 One two three

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

I went private simply because I had health insurance and I may as well use it!

I had only heard of horror stories of the local public hospital is there was no way I was going there. A decision I definitely do not regret.

I was quite happy to hand over the ob fees, because I got his mobile number. I phoned him twice with my first pregnancy and got his advice striaght away.

I am so glad I went private because the whole experience was wonderful!

#27 kuggle

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

1 - DH actually could not conceive of any reason to go public. We pay PHI (for dental and optical mainly) so we've been paying fees for years and finally want something back.

2 - My SIL is a GP/Ob and went private for both of hers. I haven't asked why but I figure she has seen enough to make an informed decision.

3 - I am a big scaredy cat and want a familiar face delivering my bub. I want to be able to ask stupid questions and talk to someone about an episiotomy etc and know that they will actually be there to make decisions in light of our discussions.

4 - We are in a remote area and the private hospital with a good reputation is the closest.

5 - No one in my family has ever walked out alive or without permanent, life-shortening  damage from a public hospital (I am sooo familiar with big city hospital morgues and the obfuscating, disappearing public hospital doctors  it is not funny) and I just want the reassurance that I've done everything I can.

6 - I've never been admitted to hospital and want it to be as peaceful and controlled as possible.

I do think the big maternity hospitals are good and, yes, if anything goes wrong in a private hospital, you will be sent to a big public teaching hospital anyway.

#28 sashels

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

im unsure but thought i would add my two cents worth.

i had an awful public experience with my 1st, ending up in emergency c-section and then having midwives too busy to help and me basically unable to look after my DS for the first night and no-one there to help. You can't even lean over to pick the baby up from their bassinette to start with .....

so I am thinking of going private for one reason only - to have DH with me when midwives are short staffed or whatever the problem is that stops them from helping, and I am unable to look after bub.

bloody expensive decision tho - if i wasn't having a c-section again, i would happily go public , but maybe not at the same hospital! hehe

#29 *trees*

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

i went private as i have major issues with the public hospital here. i had a missed miscarriage so i needed a d&c. i was told that it was not urgent so i'd need to go on a waiting list and i'd get a phone call. nearly a year later and i'm still on the waiting list (so i was supposed to go for over a year with a dead fetus in my uterus. how long before i got a  major infection etc?)  i ended up going through the private hospital and they were fantastic.

another reason is i already had an ob/gyn who i was comfortable with and she only went through the private hospital.

i dont regret my decision for a second

#30 Jasmicoh

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

trees Oh My, What a horrible thing to happen to you. Im glad to here you were able to have it done privately.

#31 *~Pebbles~*

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

I had been seeing my doctor- a female gp who also delivers babies in the private hospital since i was 17, and really wanted her for my pregnancy and delivery since i have so much trust in her. So we got Private cover then ttc and it all went beautifully. Now i'm pregnant with number 2 original.gif i have an appointment with her and i'm praying she has room for me!!!

#32 gracetilly

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

For me, it really came down to the delivery, as I wanted to have the best level of care possible. I did some research and chose the ob whom I had decided had the best track record in delivery. The idea of a private room after delivery was also appealing, particularly for a first time older Mum.

The level of care I received throughout the pregnancy, labour and after the pregancy was outstanding. I also got instant results on the NT scans and other scans, as I have heard that in the public system ,sometimes you have to wait for the results.

I ended up having a great delievery with no complications, and to be honest, I probably could have easily managed with a midwife in a public hospital. I have had friends who have had their babies in the public system and could not fault it. But I have heard of horror stories.

So, for me, it is really just a insurance policy should things go wrong in labour. I wanted to have the best Dr there, should things get hairy.

#33 Grobanite

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

I went private for similar reasons as other posts.

* We have PHI and figured we might as well use it
* I liked the idea of a private room with DH staying with me.
* Having my own OB

The staff were fantastic, the food wonderful, Both myself and DH were treated like royalty. I will doing it all over again with my next pregnancy.

#34 ~my happiness~

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Pretty much along the same lines as others.

I have had my OB since I was 18 and my first pap smear  blush.gif so there is nothing he doesn't know about me!  (well, you know!)
Over the years we are just basically 'friends' and his receptionists trips over herself to fit me in even when other appointments are where I would like to be.
He delivers privately so it was a no-brainer for me.
I do joke that I have seriously paid off his newest car  laughing2.gif this being our fourth and all.  But by the time you have all your appointments you are over the safety net and get 80% back on your management fee anyway.

Because of my relationship with my OB and his receptionist, I also get to choose my c/s assistant (he's so great!), aneathestist and my paedeatrician which is pretty cool... all aiming for the great birth experience...

and on a nerve-wracking day - D Day - I know the face over the screen helping me deliver my baby, chatting to me, making it the best experience possible; definitely continuity of care for me.

Plus, the private room where you can shut the door and drink up your newborn without the sounds of the wider world, DH's meals delivered if we want, (with a beer!) and my meals are just divine.  It's more like some sort of getaway for me for those lovely 4-5 nights!  grin.gif   Hey it's starting to not sound too bad!

#35 bjsmummy

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

I went private with my little boy last year and will be going back again there in Oct.

We have private health for tax purposes so thought better use it and when we have worked it out it has not cost us much more then public, as we received money back from medicare. It has worked out to be an extra $1k which is well worth it for the added service that we get.

At the local hospital here only 1 Dr will do epidurals, therefore you may not get what you want. We travelled 1 1/2 to Newcastle private last year and had the best birthing experience.

I to have heard good stories from the ph, but yet i have also heard many bad ones as well. My mother inlaw works at a ph in country NSW and she said that she is also glad i have gone private, as the shortcuts she sees public Drs take makes her really mad.

#36 momto1

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

We went private with our little boy, we did not have private health insurance so it was very $$$$.

Being a first time mum i was after the best of care and i found my OB to be fantastic! well worth the money and the same with the midwives.  

I would have to say the best thing about private was getting to stay at the Park Hyatt for three nights!!! definately the most relaxing and you have your own midwives on the floor looking after you, oh and the hotel food..... yum!!!!!

#37 Leelot

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

We have chosen a Private Ob in a Public Hospital, as I don't have any problem philosophically with the public system (and the facilities are fantastic at our local) but I just wanted piece of mind that I would have the one Ob all the way through IFYKWIM).

We really wanted continuity of care this time, as with DD we went through the public system and there was a lot of to-ing, fro-ing and mixed communication, particularly right at the end when I had Pre-E and had to be induced.  

I felt it was more stressful than it needed to be because so many different Obs and midwives were involved in that last month and no one seemed to be communicating properly. (This even continued after DD's delivery when a Registar came and told us that DD had a rare blood disease - but actually didn't!  You can imagine how stressful that was 24 hrs after birth!)

#38 jenno2

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:23 PM

i agree with masonrileysmummy, the PARK HYATT is amazing!! Highly recommended

#39 3rd time lucky

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

- had PHI so may as well use it
- private room was a huge factor, and DH being able to stay. That to me was priceless!
- same Ob through pregnancy and birth - although my Ob didn't make it as it was a quick 2nd stage, but that didn't matter at all, as I was 110% happy with the midwife attending me during labour who then delivered. Only needed the Ob to stitch me up!

I will definitely go private and with the same Ob for any other pregnancies.

Rinne.

#40 aa1971

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

I would *love* to debate some of the points raised in this thread but will resist.

However, I will add that an excellent option is to use your PHI to be a private patient in a public hospital.  I got the best of both worlds - I chose my own obs and got the peace of mind of delivering in a major maternity hospital.  For those who believe that the public hospital system deserves support as a cornerstone of a fair society, another advantage of being a private patient is that it gives the public hospital valuable additional revenue (from your private health fund).

An aside on so-called continuity of care - my obs was on holiday when I delivered plus it was a Sunday so I got his regular weekend cover present at the birth, then his holiday locum for after-care.  3 obs for the price of 1?!?!?

#41 indianas-mum

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

After reading this entire thread there are some comments that are a little concerning to me..

I am a mother and a midwife. I work in a public hospital. I had my baby privately in a public hospital. My choice was simple I wanted to choose my doctor and build a therapeutic relationship where I trusted them completely with my life and my babies life.

Having a baby is a high risk situation whether or not you are classified as a low risk pregnancy. Having private health insurance or choosing to go privately does NOT protect you from having complications. And going private does not ENSURE that you can CHOOSE your birthing, obstetrics can change in a second, if the baby becomes distressed or you start bleeding, just because you go private does not ensure that you wont need an Emergency C/S. At the end of the day as long as you and the baby are healthy is that not ALL that matters????? The biggest risk is that you are in a small private hospital and the babies shoulders get stuck or the cord prolapses and there is NO doctor around and they are "on their way"... some obsetric emergencies require a doctor immediately, and the baby simply cant wait for the doctor or paediatrician to be paged to come at their convenience.

I heard over and over agin of the TERROR STORIES of public hospitals..... for every horrible situation that is unforseen and happens in a public hospital just as many will happen in a private hospital but is obviously not mentioned. Public hospitals have a group midwifery team that you can choose and then you can get your continuityn of care. There are lovely doctors and midwives that work in public hospitals we are not all ogars..

Like was mentioned you can have the best of both worlds like I did. Go private patient in a public hospital. You have the choice of our doctor, get continuity of care, have emergency facilities available if needed such as ICU and Neonatal ICU, and if there is an unforseen emergency and your doctor or paediatrican cant make it in, there is an agreement with the hospital that one of the public docotors can assist until your OB arrives.

It is simply personal choice but there are pros and cons of each system. One is not SUPERIOR to another.

#42 Soontobegran

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

I was about to reply to this thread too "indianas-mum" but you have covered everything I could have said.
I too am a midwife mum of 5 who works in the public maternity sector and was a Private patient at a public hospital for my 5.
I shudder sometimes when there seems to be an insinuation that disasters only occur under public care knowing how often we have come to the rescue of many Private and Home deliveries gone wrong.
Each has their pros and cons, as you say. I think the very best thing to do for any expectant mum is to be as well informed as possible about EVERYTHING to do with their pregnancy, delivery and post partum care.

#43 Mianta

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

I shudder sometimes when there seems to be an insinuation that disasters only occur under public care knowing how often we have come to the rescue of many Private and Home deliveries gone wrong

I absolutely agree!The small private maternity unit I work on sends many obstetric emergencies in the direction of the large public hospital about 8 kms away and most of the babies that we have as an impatients in our SCN were born prematurely at that very hospital. There is no way a baby in need of a level 3 SCN can stay at my work. Public hospitals definately have their place. I thank God for the facilities that they provide.

Hayley

Edited by BrisVegasMama, 11 August 2008 - 06:59 PM.

#44 shelly1

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

If you were happy with the Public hospital you used then use it again.

TBH there are always going to be people on EB who prefer one or the other and if you admit to wanting your own room or your own OB you are considered an uptight snob.

I used a Private hospital with my first (my employer provides my health care and thats what they refered me to) and thought it was fantastic, the midwives took their time to help me establish BFing, took great care of me and made sure I left the hospital feeling a little confident LOL. I will be using the same hospital and OB this time also.

There was a very interesting thread in WDYT about the care provided in some of the bigger Public hostpitals.

The Maternity Unit I am going to is attached to a big Private hospital and has a SCN (only to a certain level but so do the other hospitals in Canberra - bar the Major one) and I am happy with my decision.

Edited by shelly1, 11 August 2008 - 07:13 PM.

#45 MelRaLi

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:18 AM

for us it is that i don't like the public hosiptail in our area.  plus i have a bad hip and wanted the continunity of care that comes with a private ob.  

This time around, i've now had a full hip replacement and was an ob to make sure that no one reefs my hips to far back and destroys the work my surgeon has done.

#46 Obesa cantavit

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:58 AM

It was a stright forward decision for me. It was my first baby, I had no family around, was the first of my friends to have a baby, I could afford it and didnt want to have to share a room with 3 other mothers, their babies and visitors.

I had such a good experoence and exelent OB that I did the sane second time. This next time (when it happens) things have changed, but I have assessed the state of our one and only public maternity ward and decided on private again.

#47 MrsG

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

I havn't read the replies. So will probaly double up on info.

- Private, hotel like room with baby bath, fridge, kettle and tea, coffee filled daily.
- DH could stay (double bed) very important for us that he could wake up in the morning with our DD
- Wonderful OB and the best of care
- We could afford it
- The food was unbelievable, Roast Chicken, Lamb. Seriously we have never eaten better.
- Not surrounded by scum, sorry but honestly some people I have seen around some public hospitals are scary. One friend had a women from a prison and was watched by a guard.
- Still had all the medical equiptment needed and a Special care nursery if needed.
- Pain care, alot of public hospitals have a budget for pain killers and skimp on them or don't send the mother home with them
-The BEST info and help for breastfeeding!!!!!

Ok, that is pretty much me done, although I am sure there is more.

#48 indianas-mum

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

- Pain care, alot of public hospitals have a budget for pain killers and skimp on them or don't send the mother home with them.

No hospital has a budget for painkillers!!!!!!  If someone is in pain regardless of what hospital they are in they get painkillers. It would be against the code of "do no harm" not to provide analgesia. If a woman needs painkillers on discharge they are given a script and they get it from the hospitals pharmacy which is discounted. If a woman requires painkillers on discharge from a private hospital they too PAY for them on discharge....

Private hospitals have a lower nurse to patient ratio and often one nurse has many more patients to look after than in a public hospital because they do have a budget for staff..... in public hospitals there is one nurse to four patients.

Edited by indianas-mum, 13 August 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#49 *iwanttobakesomebuns*

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

We already have PHI, i would like a private room, DH to be able to stay & to have a Ob that i see from start to finish.

#50 sarachris

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

I choose Private hospital because where I live I would have to give birth at DUBBO BASE HOSPITAL!!!!!! and they is no way I am doing that again.

So I choose to pay for private.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.