ABC Learning raises fees

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 hutch's

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

just got my new fee ...   gone from $21.50 for one days care to $30 after the child care benefit.  That can't be right!!!  thats a 40% increase.

after the 50% rebate, the new fee will come down to $15 which suprise suprise is exactly what the current fee of $21.50 comes down to after the current 30% rebate is now.

#52 fairymagic

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

I am soooo glad we pulled our youngest daughter out of an ABC childcare centre and changed her over to FDC!! We pay about $85 per week for two days care (we only receive the minimum CCB) and she gets so much more individual attention there than she did at ABC (not that I was not happy with the centre).

To the PP - please don't take this the wrong way but if your friend is paying out now over $300 per fortnight and not working why doesn't she drop a day or (?) 2 of childcare to cut her costs? If she is studying and hence why she is using childcare then I thought she would be entitled to the CCB ? I might be wrong about this though. huh.gif

#53 noone special

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

My out of pocket is $50 a week more. I now have to pay over a third of what my fortnightly income is. It is bullsh*t. Looks like my son will be taken out and I will have to leave him with his deadbeat father.

Edited by prairiehouse, 24 June 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#54 2boys2cute

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

I wish there were more Family Day Care Mums in my area  sad.gif  

The thing is, I'm not unhappy at all with the ABC centre DS attends, in fact, I believe its the best option in our area (we only have 3 centres in our town) so I honestly can't complain about the care he receives there or the way both he and I are treated by staff (they're all so lovely and caring, and he just loves them  wub.gif ).  Its just those damn money-hungry so-and-so's who own the chain!  

But I guess its only a matter of time before other non-ABC centres follow suit and figure they might as well cash in on the whole situation now that ABC have made the first move and increased their fees by such a large amount.  I imagine those centres who have more of a monopoly than others will be especially be taking full advantage of the whole situation (ie, those with a fewer number of other centres within their local area and don't have to "compete" for business) rant.gif

But I guess thats business hey and we shouldn't be at all surprised...and thats what happens when a daycare centre is owned by a publicly listed company - its all about increasing profits for the shareholders, not putting the "working families first".  rant.gif   What a crock.  Like I said before, I think Kevin07 will be p*ssed off when he realises "working families" are sick of being shafted and decide going back to/or staying at work simply isn't worth it when sh*t like this happens.

If DS wasn't so settled and enjoying his daycare centre I'd definitely be considering a move right about now  rant.gif

#55 *Mindy*

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

just a quick one if anyone can answer this

i was talking to my sister yesterday and she was under the belief that if you earn more then 150k as a family you don't get the 50% rebate. i said i don't think that is right.

She was saying the ABC her daughter will start attending in 5 weeks fees were $89 a day and will now jump to $99 and if she does not get the 50% then se will be paying $300 for 3 days care. Tat is just unbelievable

#56 fliss9

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

*Mindy* if your income is over $150K you wont get the CCB but you will still be entitled to the 50% rebate as long as you pass the work/training/study test.

As for the fee increase at the ABC centre my DD goes to, it's gone from $66.50 to $69 per day (before CCB), so I'm not really complaining other than the fact that I'm now not entitled to CCB!

I have spoken to a couple of people that I work with who have kids in ABC centres and one said that hers weekly fees after the CCB went down. Another had a similar smallish increase. The centres are all in western Sydney.

#57 Chelbean

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

I have a question about the 50% rebate. My director (both my boss as i work there and my DD's director) was really confused about it and has confused me.

With fees going up ($10 a day here as well) and our CCB going down as of july 1st our fees are going up to around 115 a week for three days...this is a rough estimate. So basically does that mean the government will pay half of that per week??? So at the end of 12 weeks i should get a payment of about 690?  As half of that 115 is 57.50...does that make sense? Have i got that right?? 115 per week is what we will be paying after the CCB.

If thats right its great but i agree with other people we need it now not in 12 weeks.

Mindy - Yes i think ur sister is right, i remember reading something about new income limits on the CCB. Go to the family assistance page im pretty sure they have stuff about it on there. Actually i think that the 150k is just for one earner...so the main income earner cant earn more then 150 or something like that. Its all so confusing!

#58 Zachs_mummy

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hi, just dropped my son off and got my letter about the fee rise... he attends a ABC at brisbane southside,  his daily fee was $51.50 a day for the jnr Kindy room and it's now jumped to $61.50 ... so we had a $10 a day increase as well... he is in care 3 days a week, so instead of $154.50 a week , its now $184.50...   we are entitled to the CCB and it will bring my fee down to $55.36 a week... before the icrease it was $29.08...so all up its an extra $26.28... but adding that on top off a $40 rent increase last week, it's just crazy!.. I was just wondering about the CCTR,  I orignally had my son in for 2 days, then I started a study at home course and I was allowed 50hrs of care... my husband thinks because I am studying and he is working we are entitled to the rebate?  but I thought it was only if both parents are working??..  

I feel so bad for my little winge, because alot of you have been affected by this so badly!.

Lee-Anne

#59 fliss9

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:43 AM

I thought I would add some info that I got from the FAO the other day.

If your Family income is above the following thresholds will have a reduced CCB payment:
  • 1 child in approved care - approx $110,000
  • 2 children in approved care - approx $119,000
  • 3 children in approved care - approx $135,000

Families with income over the following amounts will no longer receive CCB:
  • 1 child in approved care - approx $126,000
  • 2 children in approved care - approx $131,000
  • 3 children in approved care - approx $148,000

To quote the same letter - the Child Care Tax Rebate is not income tested.

Hope that helps with any confusion.

#60 Xanadu25

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

Just got the bill for next week. Doesnt seem to make sense with the letter I rec 1 wk prior.
Said that because CCB increase doesnt start til 7/7, ABC has committed to make up the difference until then.I took this as rates stay the same until 7/7. It has already gone up for wk of 30/6. Wonder if ABC admin speaks to the centres themselves otr they are plucking figures out of thin air.

#61 Julie3Girls

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

The 50% Childcare rebate is NOT income tested!!!!!!

You need to pass the work/study/training test, but there is NO income limit. It is capped at $7500 per child per year. So if your fees are more then $15000 for the year, you will still only get a total of 7500 back for the year.

FTB part B cuts out if the family income is more than 150000, regardless is the parent stays at home with no income.

And fliss9 has posted the limits where CCB cuts out.

#62 *Moi*

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

Yes $10 more per day is crapola..

If it makes you feel any better, I pay $70 per day for DD1 and $80 per day for DD2! I have to provide nappies, they provide all food.

#63 mumawi

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

Just wanted to add that in order to be eligible for the CCTR ther is no minimum hours per week that you must be working/studying/looking for work.

Unlike the work/study test for CCB which requres you to be involved in these activities for min 15hours/week.

Just found this out on the FAO website.

I never realised that I was eligible.  

Still sucks that ABC has raised their fees so bloody high but at least I can now offset some of the additional cost.

Kylie

#64 loui999

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

Another disgruntled parent of kids who attend ABC rant.gif
We too have had an increase of $10 per day, for 2 kids for 2 days that is $40 extra per week.
The CCTR will help but for the next 3 months we will really struggle to pay the extra $265 per month. We will no longer get the CCB.
I expected a rise, but not this much - shame on ABC. I think the reasons for the 16%+ increase are flimsy.

Edited by loui999, 25 June 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#65 whoknew

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

My fees increased $10 a day, now at $71. And to make things worse our income goes up this financial year as I haven't worked as much and was on a lower income this financial year. My CCB % is VERY little, something like 11%??? So I guess I'll be paying full fees and leave that money till tax time. $285 for one child for 4 days....aghh. Will give me a bit back every 3 months, but still thats a damn lot of money!  sad.gif

#66 bellea77s

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

this replies goes to JamBra69
The reason the centre your children/child attends is having a ABC Disco babysitting night 1st birthday party(theme named)is the centre has been having these disco babysitting nights for the last 5 yrs, long before ABC brought the centre,
The reason that I started these disco/babysitting nights was to help out families that lived in the ACT & attended our centre, but had no family that lived here. The disco's are optional & not compulsary for families that wish to have some mum & dad time without having to have a stranger looking after their children at home. The staff at the centre volunteer there time to look after the children at the centre & hire a DJ + provide dinner & dessert.....while being looked after by staff they know & trust!
I don't feel that $35.00 for 2hr disco is asking to much, as you would pay more for a babysitter!

#67 ~Lauren~

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

Can anyone pls explain this?

It says of the FAO website, to be eligble for CCTR -

How do I meet the work/training/study requirements?

You meet the work/training/study requirements for the CCTR if you are undertaking work, training or study activities at some time during the week in which the child care is provided.

If you are disabled or receiving Carer Payment or Carer Allowance, you may have an exception to these requirements.

How do I claim CCTR if I get Carers Allowance? I know I am able to get 50hrs childcare because I have Emily, so can I claim 50% of my out of pocket costs too? What about when it was 30%, am I able to claim that back too?

#68 ~Lauren~

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

lol ignore that. I think I figured it out  blush.gif

So C/link figures it out for you and will be paying it in with our normal FA payments every 3 months yes?

Edited by ~Lauren~, 25 June 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#69 Schmend

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

I hate the way the letter only shows me my new gap fee... BUT... also greatly promotes i effectively only pay 50% of that...

RUDE!!!  rant.gif

My Gap fee went from
225.80per week 2 children 4 days
to
301.30per week 2 children 4 days

Thats an out of pocket increase of $75.50 per week!  blink.gif

i have no idea what our daily gross fees have gone to.  They were $45.50 and $49.00 per child per day respectively.

If someone reads this and has a minute... can you confirm for me I've calculated this right...

Old situation was $225.80 x 52wks p/yr = $11,741.60
$11,741.60 x 30% rebate = $3,522.48
(entitled to this full amount as this does not exceed the capped limit per child)

New situation is $301.30 x 52 = $15,667.60
$15,667.60 (exceeds the capped amount of $7,500 per child)
thus...
$15,000 x 50% rebate = $7,500

Now that clearly looks better... but it's painful to be in arrears (ie for the first 3 mths if that makes sense)

I feel that heavy sense of financial struggle dread on my shoulders... damned if i work, damned if i dont.

#70 jaydee

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

New situation is $301.30 x 52 = $15,667.60
$15,667.60 (exceeds the capped amount of $7,500 per child)
thus...
$15,000 x 50% rebate = $7,500

If your out of pocket cost is $15667.60 then for two children, then you will get 50% of that back = $7833.80.  That actually only equates to just under $4000 per child, so no you are not over the limit.

For 2 children your total out of pocket expenses would need to be over $30000 before you were over the $7500 limit.

Jo

Edited by jaydee, 26 June 2008 - 09:18 AM.

#71 ~Simply*Blue~

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

I just found out that my fees are going up $10 per day per child. I have 2 children 2 days a week, so $40 a week increase.

I am also not eligble for the CCTR  rant.gif

I have just spent the morning looking around for other centres, either no places or I don't like the centre  rant.gif

This is bullsh*t!

Edited by ~*Rebecca*~, 26 June 2008 - 11:01 AM.

#72 IBakeBoys

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

I'm hoping all the time I've had to take off lately with DS bringing bugs home from my ABC centre will make work end my contract early so that I don't have the worry of how I'm going to pay the 16% increase.

Ontop of crazy petrol prices, I'm effectively working for less than half my wage. Not really worth it when you're a pregnant temporary contracted worker....

#73 Wous333

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

I think what most people will find, when they sit down and do the sums, that they aren't worse off over a year, but most are barely better off.  Take into account the fact that you have to come up with the increased fees upfront it still sucks.

Our example:
Old Scenario:  
Daily Room Fee $48.50
Gap fee after CCB $24
CCTR at 30% $7.20
Total out of pocket expense per day $16.80

New Scenario:
Daily Room Fee $60.50 - yes that is a 25% increase!
Gap fee after CCB $32.30
CCTR at 50% $16.15
Total out of pocket expense per day $16.15

So it is still an increase for us of 65c per day, which yes isn't much, but considering the govt was trying to help reduce the pressure, ABC greedilly gobbled up the lot - and then some.

For those that are really stressed, do the sums.  I was initially horrified, but when I did the above - I'm annoyed and p*ssed off, but I can't really say that I am worse off.

FWIW I have written to both Julia Gillard, ABC and the Courier Mail regarding this.  I do not think this is the Govt's fault at all, I just wanted to let them know that very few people seem to have received the $6 a day increase that ABC keep sprouting in the media - for most it has been $10 or more!

#74 ~Emerald-Dreaming~

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

I can certainly feel everyones pain.. I was mighty peeved on Tues when we received our letter... I only have my DD in 2 days a week but need to find another $40 per fortnight.  sad.gif

I have also worked out the calculations for the 30% and 50%. With the new fees we will apparently be better off by a whole $1.40 per week laughing2.gif biggest joke going... I'm sure that once the new CCB calculations come out we will be worse off  rant.gif

I to have to wonder if it really is worth working. On the plus side for us thou we only have 6 months left to put up with Eddy's sh*t... I really feel for those who have only just had children and need to worry about this for a few more years.. mad.gif

#75 2boys2cute

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

Totally agree with you Wous333, when I saw Eddie Groves on TV spouting off about $6 per day I thought what a load of crap!!!  rant.gif  He is blatantly lying....it does seem that fees have gone up around the $10 mark per day for most people, even those like myself who's child goes to an ABC centre in a rural area....maybe this doesn't sound like much to him (and some others), its a hell of a lot for the average family!!  Especially those who have more than 1 child in care, I am thankful I don't have 2 or 3 kids in care at the moment (don't know what we'll do if and when #2 comes along?).

I'm also no worse off (slightly better off at a whole $3 per day, whoppee  mad.gif ) but nevertheless like you I'm totally annoyed and fed up.  The Government did at least try to help us "working families" and ABC had stepped in with what is clearly an attempt to reverse the financial mess they've found themselves in (and more importantly, PUT themselves in!) at our expense.  So, so, SO p*ssed off  rant.gif

AS I and others have said, with fuel prices skyrocketing, and being no better off with the new childcare situation....why would many of us even bother working when it seems after paying for our fuel to get to work, fees, etc, we're left with buggerall from our pay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.