Jump to content
Long Life (UHT milk allergy)?
3 replies to this topic
Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:12 PM
I have noticed the last 6-12 months that whenever my 3 year old DD has a flavoured UHT milk (up and go, wiggles etc) she almost instantly bloats up and has diarreah for a good 3-6 hours afterwards. She has always been extreemly 'regular' (up to 6 times per day).
We mostly drink soy milk at home so I have never really noticed it until now, I am now wondering if she has some sort of allergy to milk (normal or uht) and if this could be why she has had excema since she started bottle feeding on casein formula at around 7 months? are they linked?
Anyway could anyone tell me where to go from here?? would they bother with testing considering she doesnt have life threatening reactions/swelling/difficulty breathing etc?.
Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:19 PM
My DD is 10.5 months old and has a severe allergy to dairy and cannot have soy or egg as precaution as suggested by our allergy specialist.
It sounds like she is allergic to milk - does she eat other dairy (eg cheese or yoghurt) without reaction?
Ezcema is a classic sign of allergy (my DD has it too) i would definately ask to get her checked. Although her symptoms are not life threatening, it does not mean that this is not causing her harm internally. Speak to your paediatrician to get a referral to an allergy specialist to get tested. In the meantime, obviously keep her away from dairy.
Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:21 PM
Quite possibly she does have an allergy or intolerance to milk. What's she like when she has other dairy? If there are no major symptoms it may be a dose dependant intolerance ie she can have it in cooking (ie cake) but not as a drink.
The only real way to know is her reaction when ingested (and you know what that is).
Allergy testing may not come up with anything, especially as it's digestive symptoms. These don't show up very well in a skin prick test, however it might if it's caused eczema in the past. There's also blood (RAST) tests. However both of these can have false positives and false negatives.
You can go and spend your money on a 'diagnosis' but it probably won't tell you any more than you already know. She's not anaphalactic so she's don't going to be prescribed anything.
Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:37 PM
Thankyou- very helpful and knowledgable information ladies!
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles