How much breast milk to express for a feed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JennAN

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hi all

My sister in law has offered to look after DS while DH and I do something on our own.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to be away from him just yet, but that is another issue.  What I was wondering is how much expressed breast milk I should leave with her to feed DS?  DS is 7.5 weeks old.  Does anyone know how you work out how much milk he would need per feed?

#2 kylesj

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

Hi, my little boy is 4 months old and I express 150mls for one feed.  At 3 months old I was expressing 80 to 100mls for one feed. When I contacted Breastfeed Australia they told me about a formula that I could use but every baby is different.
Kylie

P.S. I'm not ready to leave my baby with anyone except DH (which I have to do when I go to work in the evening).

#3 goingcrackers

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

The formula to work out how much to feed for a full term baby is
150mls per kilo then divide by the amount of feeds per day.

so if your baby is 5 kilos and feeds 6 times in a 24hour period you would - 150 x 5 = 750mls divide this by 6 = 125mls in the bottle

My daughter was premmie and when she was in hospital they used this formula to work out the correct quota for each feed. (she was on a higher amount being premmie -180ml per kilo) The nurses advised of the 150ml for when we brought her home as she is now at 'term' - and we still like to give one bottle a day. But be warned they will not always take it or they might want more if they are hungrier at that feed more then normal. I would have a couple of practice goes before leaving her as she might not like the bottle. I would also get your DH or DS to do them so she learns to feed off someone besides you.

#4 lorywhol

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

I agree with the formula PP used. I have used this too and my DD is 7weeks 4days.

The best hint a midwife gave me was to not put the total amount in one bottle. As once they have started it you have to discard the rest. She suggested making 50ml-70ml bottles - that way if he makes it through only one, you have the other one on standby for later on or if he only wants one bottle the other can be frozen.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.