To Buy or Not To Buy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daviesjv

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

QUESTION: What’s the best way to save money on a bottle warmer?
ANSWER: Not buy one in the first place!

I know, I know, it’s not exactly a laugh-out-loud joke, but it’s true nevertheless. How much money do we as parents spend on baby items that we: A/ Never end up using or B/ could have borrowed or bought second-hand for a fraction of the price? I was thinking about this the other day as I finally pulled out of the cupboard and disposed of the “cute” little cot set (quilt, pillow, cushion, etc) that I bought before having baby number 1 and which has sat in the cupboard, unused, through baby numbers 2 & 3 as well. As there will definitely be no more babies, it was overdue for donation to the local fete.

For every mum, the list of “things they bought but never used” will be different, because what works (or doesn’t work) for one Mum – and one baby for that matter – will be different to what works/does work for another. But for what it’s worth, this is my personal list of …

THINGS I BOUGHT AND NEVER USED …

Baby Sling – I thought they looked like such a comfortable way to carry a baby! Perhaps it was because I could never quite get the hang of it, but I’d drop my daughter in there, she would disappear into the depths of it, I’d panic that she wasn’t able to breathe properly and scramble around to fish her out again. Too stressful!

Cot set – Aforementioned cot set. I never used the pillow/bumper/cushion because of SIDS and in fact I hadn’t taken into account that our cot was a larger-than-average size – as a result the fitted cot sheets didn’t – well –fit!

Too many clothes – None of my babies were big but they still all grew out of size 000 in what seemed like a nanosecond!

Too many toys – In fact there was no need to buy toys at all because we were given some lovely toys when our daughter was born. And in any event, they were all more interested in playing with the kitchen utensils, Tupperware, car keys, telephone and in fact pretty much anything household item that wasn’t actually a toy.    

Newborn nappies – Waaaay to enthusiastic about stocking up before the arrival – waaaay to many small nappies. Fortunately they got used second time around …

Baby Bucket Car Seat – Well, I didn’t buy one, I hired it from Qld Ambulance. Nevertheless I could have saved the money and simply used our reversible baby seat.

Dummy – Okay so it was only a couple of dollars, but still. I never realised that the expression “spit the dummy” was meant literally – until I tried giving one to baby number 1 (and 2 and 3). They all took grave exception to it!

THINGS I DIDN’T BUY IN THE FIRST PLACE …

There were also some things that I didn’t spend money on in the first place – and never missed. They include …

Bottle Sterilisation unit – With all three kids I simply ran the bottles through the dishwasher and used a saucepan of boiling water to sterilise them. Worked perfectly.

Nappy disposal unit – nappies always went straight to the outdoor bin after removal from bottom in question.

Breast Pump – I hired one first time around and found it very useful. To be honest though with babies 2 & 3 I didn’t bother – they were both breastfed until 9 months of age but if I wasn’t going to be home for some reason when they were du for a feed I simply made up a bottle of formula. Much easier!

Change Table – I know some people swear by their change tables (as I said, what works for each person is different). I just used an old table that we had in the garage, which my hubby did up. It’s worked a treat.

Trolly Cover – given all the other gross things that by baby was touching and mouthing during the day (the telephone, shoes, dog’s toys, dog …) I figured that a quick polish with a baby wipe was going to be sufficient for the shopping trolly handle.  

AS I said though, this is just my personal list of baby-related money pits. Let me know what you think, and share your tips on what and what not to buy for baby.

Have a great week!

Justine

#2 MiloandOtis

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

Things I hardly used:

Jolly Jumper
Microwave steriliser...still breastfeeding now!
Dummy
1001 stuffed teddies
Breastpump

Lifesavers:

Vibrating bouncer
Change table

#3 melissam88

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Things I bought and shouldn't have:

Cot quilt, pillow and sheet set (ended up using plain fitted sheet and then only a wrap for baby then into a grobag)

Too many clothes

Things I bought and loved:

Baby carrier/pouch (this was my lifesaver for a baby that cried a lot, it went on your front and baby faces you then outwards as they get older)

Large size wraps (didn't take long for my baby to unravel the average size ones)

Grobags (or similar, once DS stopped being wrapped these were great knowing they were always covered in their sleep)

Fortunately I didn't stock up on too many things before the birth because I can think of quite a few which would have been a waste.

Also was glad I bought some things second hand as they didn't get used for very long and you didn't feel like you wasted your money

#4 iwanttousecloth

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:01 AM

Hehe! I so know what you mean.
With my first bubs I walked into BabyCo and they must think everyone is a chump as they hand you out 'The Things You Need For Mum and Bubs' pamphlet.
Gosh do people really fall for it all??? Add it up and you would be spending thousands and thousands on things you would not use.
I just bought the neccessites and even then didn't use some things bottle warmer, quilts etc

#5 Abbygirl

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

We've wasted our money on bottles and teats... Bubby is exclusively breastfed and the only way she will take my EBM is through a sipper cup  wacko.gif

Things I cherish that we've bought...

Our basinette, bouncer, grobags and breast pump

Oh and our awesome pram!

#6 blmf

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

i think the only thing i am guilty of is too many clothes, lol.

We got things that people said you don't need and have been mentioned above but we find them fantastic, guess everyone is different.

Other thing is if you buy something good quality and it's like new you will always get good money back for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.