Stephenie Meyer!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
242 replies to this topic

#1 sandgroper

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

Has anyone read any of Stephenie Meyers books?  They are pitched at young adults but I am keen to see what they are like.  The first one in the series "Twilight" is in the Books Alive '08 selection for this year.

Cheers,
Julie

#2 Guest_reginam_*

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

Yes I have blush.gif

A friend recommended them to me, and I laughed at the time. A book about vampires and in the teenage section?! But she told me that apparently there is a huge group of people in our age group 20-40 who are reading them, and mothers stealing them from their daughters to read.

So I thought I would give it ago, it wasn't until about half way through the first one that I got into it (her writing style seemed off and awkward), but really really liked the 2nd and 3rd ones. They weren't my normal style of book but I enjoyed reading them.

They are my guilty little pleasure, and I have pre-ordered the new one coming out on Monday at Borders blush.gif

Also as a result of reading them, and seeing that they weren't really Sci-Fi as such but more of  a love story I decided to give her "The Host" book a go (I had previously reads the blurb and thought no way), and I really loved it.

blush.gif

Edited by reginam, 30 July 2008 - 05:10 PM.

#3 Roubidoux

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

I am re-reading them at the moment in preparation for Breaking Dawn's release original.gif.

As the pp said, they are not the type of book I would usually read but I was bombarded by neighbours (from teenage girls to grandmothers and everyone in between) recommending them so I  succumbed and ended up thoroughly enjoying them.

#4 sabella

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hi,

The paranormal romance genre is my guilty pleasure, & Ms Meyer is the ONLY author that I could introduce my DD to before she turns say 35...LOL

I've noticed that Twilight is high up in the most popular by sales ATM, so many people are obviously enjoying Ms Meyer's writing.

#5 ElizabethIAm

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:33 PM

They are definately not the kind of book that I ever thought I would read but I have been unable to put Twilight down. I am loving it and will be looking forward to the movie out next year.

I actually work at a bookshop and these books are located in the teenage sexction however we also have them placed in a section for paranormal type books. I would never have even considered reading them if I hadn't noticed how much hype they got.

#6 vix

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

Just finished the 4th book, Breaking Dawn. It took me one week to read all four books. I literally could not put them down. Adored them all.  Hope there is a 5th of the way!

#7 mumma2seven

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:38 AM

I also was recommended to read these books - Im slightly obsessed with them  blush.gif  Ive read and re - read them 3 times through now!
I was reading that Stephanie Meyer was going to publish another book in the series called midnight sun , but due to an internet leak of the first 12 chapters she has put the book off ...indefinatly  cry1.gif  such a shame! she released the 12 leaked chapters on her website which I couldnt resist reading and ofcourse it was BRILLIANT! Its an entire retelling of Twilight from Edward Cullens point of view. I hope she decides to write it some day!
Actually Im curious , for those who have read and loved the Twilight series , what are some good books that are similar? Im at a loss for what to read after these books so would love any suggestions!

#8 vix

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

Also, slightly obsessed over Twilight. I read on her website yesterday that her next project was to finish midnight sun !! Yeah!.
I've just bought Wuthering Heights to read (because it was mentioned a fair bit in the series!)

#9 Brit in Oz!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

I am not ashamed to say that I am not slightly obsessed, I am TOTALLY obsessed.  ph34r.gif
I discovered Twilight about 3 or 4 years ago by accident, and was actually almost at the end of New Moon before I knew they were aimed at young adults, not grown ups laughing2.gif

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them, and am hopelessly in love with Edward. wub.gif
I pre-ordered Eclipse and Breaking Dawn months before they were  released and even ordered them from Amazon in the U.S. so that I could get them at THE earliest release date possible. dev (6).gif and have read them all more times than I count.

From what I have seen of the movie it is going to be awesome, and they have cast perfectly. Edward is exactly how I imagined him.... wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif

ETA: The Host is brilliant too, well worth a read, and I am very excited to hear that she is planning on finishing Midnight Sun. Off to look at her website now......WOOHOO!

Edited by Brit in Oz!, 12 September 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#10 mumma2seven

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:33 AM

Brit in Oz! ohhhh is the Host really great?? Im thinking of buying it today biggrin.gif
I went to Stephanie Meyers website but couldnt see where she said she would finish Midnight Sun sad.gif I checked in "other projects" but it is empty! Just a link to Midnight Sun which goes straight to her explination as to why she wont be finishing! doh! Ill keep checking though!

#11 Brit in Oz!

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

June 2008 Update: In response to the outrageous number of emails that I have received with questions concerning Midnight Sun, I talked to Stephenie this weekend and she asked me to let everyone know that Midnight Sun is her next project. She has not yet finished writing it (and there is no timeline set up, so we all need to put a lot of effort into being patient for a while longer), but she is definitely still planning on having it published. And, after Breaking Dawn comes out, Stephenie will have much more time to focus on writing Midnight Sun.

Fingers crossed it won't be too long, eh?! The first 12 chapters of midnight Sun (in rough draft) are on her website. I am nearly finished them. wink.gif

The Host is really good. It took me a few chapters to be gripped, but absolutely loved it, and couldn't put it down. Don't go into it expecting it to be like Twilight, but take it on it's own merits and it's ace. original.gif

#12 Freethinker888

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

I'm also slightly obsessed  blush.gif

Actually Im curious , for those who have read and loved the Twilight series , what are some good books that are similar?

For a full list, visit http://twilightmomsforums.freeforums.org/
(although they are undergoing mainteneance at the moment, check in a couple of days for the full experience). There are lists of similar books floating around tehre in the books section.

Off the top of my head, the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris is a great series to read next. There are currently eight books, and feature a telepathic waitress, and vampires, in a world where vampires have "come out of the coffin", and many are trying to mainstream into human society. Tere is also now a TV series of the books called "True Blood", airing on HBO in the US, I have no idea when we'll get it here. I have watched the first couple of episodes on the internet, and they're great (apart from extra smut, which I didn't think was needed, but it is HBO). Plus, Ryan Kwanten (Vinnie from Home & Away) is in it, as Sookie's brother, Jason. I was pleasantly surprised by his performance, his accent is quite good. Anyway, the first book is "Dead Until Dark".

Charlaine Harris also has several other's series which are supposed to be quite good, but I have only gotten around to reading one (since it is the only other supernaturally-themed). The Harper Connelly series, beginning with "Grave Sight", is quite a bit darker than the Sookie series, but a great read. Harper can sense where bodies are, and tell how they died.

The Undead/Queen Betsy series by Mary Janice Davidson, beginning with "Undead and Unwed" is such a crack-up. The blurb:
"Elizabeth "Betsy" Taylor turns thirty in the most unfortunate manner possible: she is laid off from work and then run down by an SUV. Waking up in the morgue fails to improve her mood, and when she discovers she can't kill herself, she gets downright stroppy. Being proclaimed "Queen of the Vampires" by the obnoxious Eric Sinclair, who places himself first in line to be her consort, proves to be the last straw."

This series isn't supernatural, but Stephenie Meyer admitted it was a guilty pleasure of hers, is the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Stephanie becomes a bounty hunter after losing her job, and blackmails her cousin Vinnie, who owns a bail bonds company, into giving her a job there. It's a really funny series, and Morelli and Ranger make it even better  wub.gif First book is "One for the Money".

I quite like The Hollows/Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison (starting with "Dead Witch Walking"), but it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Supernatural creatures (witches, vampires, were-creatures, elves, pixies, etc., known as Inderlanders) live amongst humans, and Rachel quits her job with Inderlander Security (one of the law-enforcement agencies policing supernatural creatures), to work on her own. It is too complex to sum up any better than that.

The Blood series by Tanya Huff (made into a TV show lasting only one series, called "Blood Ties"), is quite good. A vampire series set in Toronto, begins with "Blood Price".

You may or may not like the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. I'm one of the people that liked the earlier books, but wonders what the author started taking around book nine. It's so frustrating, because I like a lot of the characters she created. Anyway, basically Anita is a vampire executioner (people know about vampires), and also an animator, she raises the dead for a living (for example, if there is a will dispute, she raises the deceased and asks them personally, then puts them back). It's quite an original series.  

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully you like some of them.

Kristy

#13 mumma2seven

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

Yes Ive read that from her website Brit in Oz however her August 28th 2008 website update tells of the leak of those 12 chapters (which is why they are on her website now she released them on there seeing as they were everywhere else by that stage) she goes on to tell us she has put the book Midnight sun on hold indefinatly. so there is no longer a release date nor any plans to continue the book at all.

Kristy you must have posted at the same time as I was!
thanks so much for the link and suggestions! I will head to Borders this week and check out the titles that you have mentioned biggrin.gif
I think "True Blood" has just begun (or is about to) airing on Foxtel so that should be interesting!
Thanks again for all your suggestions

#14 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

I loved them, so totally not my genre normally, other than that I love teen lit. (I'm a childrens librarian so read alot of them)

Thought I would hate them but found them great. Is Host good because it looks way out there.

#15 Velociraptor

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:41 AM

I read Twilight recently - pretty good. The characters were well developed, and it was a nice page-turner.

I thought there were a few slow parts, but besides this I liked it: the next book is supposed to be better.

ETA: if you're after some brilliant teenage fantasy lit sort of stuff, Sabriel by Garth Nix is brilliant. The Amulet of Samarkand, Jonathan Stroud, is also an awesome book - absolutely wonderful stuff. I read a lot of kid lit - I've worked in children's book editing before.

Edited by jcroc, 15 September 2008 - 08:43 AM.

#16 Night0wl

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

I read Twilight last night, I heard a bit of hype about it and thought I would give it a go. I read all the Anne Rice books as a teen but sort of grew out of the whole Vampire bizzo. Well I started reading at 7.30 last night and finished the book at 1am, so much for an early night but I couldn't put it down!

I am also embarrassed to admit I have never had the hots so much for a fictional character in my life laughing2.gif  wub.gif  blush.gif Turn vampire for you Edward? No problem!

As soon as I finished Twilight I logged on to Book Depository to send me the next one, now to watch the letterbox until it arrives...

#17 mumma2seven

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

ROFL elliam I am pretty "in to" edward Cullen myself! So embarssing seeing as he is a fictional character  blush.gif   laughing2.gif

#18 Ianthe

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

Yes and they are good. Not great writing but very plot and character driven. Some friends of mine in the US put me onto them. Big W have all four books on sale from this Thursday.

#19 ElizabethIAm

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:44 PM

As I mentioned I work in a bookshop and we get promo stuff like badges to wear etc. We had none of the 'I Love Edward Cullen' badges left so I am wearing a badge that says 'Team Jacob' lol

#20 Bek

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

I'm loving this series and can't wait to finish reading them.

I too didn't realise that they were aimed more at the teenage market but that's OK.

#21 SummerRain

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:48 AM

My SIL bought New Moon and she liked it so passed it onto me.  I will admit when she give me a plot synopsis I didn't think I would like it but having finished Harry Potter for the hundreth time I thought I would give it a go and am soooo glad that I did!!  This book was brilliant and am off to find the rest of them!!!

#22 Tallen

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

Another huge fan here  wub.gif  and I would totally turn vampire in an instant if I could live with/like the Cullens, rofl.

I was recommended to read the series, and after borrowing the first book from the library to see if I liked it, I rushed out and bought them all. It took me about a week to finish the series and I have read the 12 chapters of Breaking Dawn on Stephenies site. I can't get enough of it, and I have managed to get a friends son hooked on it too, rofl. She was actually going to read it at my suggestion, he found it and picked it up, and couldn't put it down, so it not only appeals to girls/women, but to men as well!! (He is aged about 20 or 21)

If you have read Twilight, go and read Breaking Dawn, it is just so wonderful to read the exact same story but from Edwards point of view. I really hope she releases it, it would be such a shame if she gives up on it now.

As for other books in a similar vein, try Kelley Armstrong...my niece loves her books, I have yet to try them, but they focus on vampires, werewolves etc. Also, Maggie Shayne has a series, also centred around vampires, starting with "Twilight Phantasies'. It may be a bit hard getting a copy as it is an older book (1993, I think) and I think it might be more romancy, as the first 3 were written for Silhoette Romance books, but the newer ones look pretty cool. I have bought the first one to give them a try, so will let you know the verdict.  happy.gif

#23 BaldBalls

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

Oh dear  laughing2.gif

I am also embarrassed to admit I have never had the hots so much for a fictional character in my life

Me too  laughing2.gif   blush.gif

I read twilight in a matter of hours, I could not put the book down  wub.gif   I live in a small town with no book shop  ohmy.gif , Imagine the pain I have waiting for the other books to arrive in the mail  dev (6).gif

#24 Velociraptor

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

I just finished the series. The first three were much better than the fourth. Apparently, there's a 5th in the wings, though.

Edited by jcroc, 12 October 2008 - 04:16 PM.

#25 miss-mum

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

another big fan here. Was given the first book, not too interested in it. Once i started reading.. couldnt put it down and finished it a few hours later. Was desperate to get the next ones so i drove striaght to my friends place to borrow them. My df wasnt to impressed that i spent all my spare time reading over the next few days. I was lucky enough to have been able to read them all at once and not wait for the books to be released. I havent started reading midnight sun yet, but have the link saved in my favourites. Il admit, im also addicted to Edward. Very embarresing for a fictional character! Iv gone through and read them all twice now, resisting the urge to read them all again. To keep me going though   blush.gif iv read various fanfics written by various people using the same characters/storyline etc. apparently midnight sun will be the last of the series though  sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.