Stephenie Meyer!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
242 replies to this topic

#51 SmallDarkHandsome

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

Another addict here blush.gif !

I had seen the books in the bookshop and read the back cover but didn't think it was my cup of tea. However, a good friend whose reading opinion I trust completely said she thought I would like them and lent me her copy. Took the copy on holiday and thankfully only started reading it a couple of days before we came back. I say thankfully because I read it cover to cover, in one sitting, through the night and then desperately wanted to get my hands on the rest which I couldn't do sitting on a Thai island! in the end, I read Twilight a further TWO times before I got home and immediately rushed out to the bookstore (yes, at 9pm in the evening after getting off an 8 hr flight!) to get the rest....which prompted another "through the night" reading of New Moon! I think I finished them all in 3 days, barely stopping for essentials like showering, using the bathroom, eating, caring for my child...

I loved them all - I found they really "got" to me. And I also confess that at almost 34 I am desperately wub.gif for Edward Cullen....is he really fictional??? Please??? Out there somewhere? Poor DH...I am so sad...

I'm now re-reading them all again. I'm actually glad I didn't discover them before Breaking Dawn came out because it was great to read them back to back and not have to wait like I did with Harry Potter! I've also read Midnight Sun (so far) and am devastated that it's now on hold indefinitely - I'd also love to see all FOUR written from Edward's perspective, especially New Moon. There are some "extras" and "outtakes" on her website for New Moon and Twilight, things that got cut from the final version, in particular one that is THE phone conversation between Edward and Rosalie after Bella did the cliff diving...

I haven't seen the film yet - part of me really wants to see it but at the same time I don't necessarily want to imprint (ha ha) that interpretation of the books or of the people on my imagination when I'm reading them. I'll probably still go and see it though, don't think I will be able to resist!

So pathetic....sigh! I've bought it for my almost 13 yr old niece as part of her Christmas present...she'll LOVE it!

Nic (aged almost 34....)

Edited by SmallDarkandHandsome, 17 December 2008 - 02:27 PM.

#52 Guest_~sonique~_*

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

I'd also love to see all FOUR written from Edward's perspective, especially New Moon.

Oh me too, the little sneak preview at the end of Twilight was awesome. Especially as he knows what people are thinking....

I loved them all - I found they really "got" to me. And I also confess that at 34 I am desperately  for Edward Cullen....is he really fictional??? Please??? Out there somewhere? Poor DH...I am so sad...

LOL I could have written that, but I'm only 33....my DH called me obsessed last night as I literally grinned through the whole movie...but he's so so so perfect.

I'm part way through Eclipse. I'm holding off on reading it quickly because my MIL has bought me breaking dawn for xmas and I don't want to be without a book to read.

Go and see the movie. It is true to the book and the actor playing Edward is devine, he literally steals every scene he's in!

#53 fangbanger

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

Go and see the movie. It is true to the book and the actor playing Edward is devine, he literally steals every scene he's in!

Ain't that the truth!!! wub.gif

Even more team Edward now.....lol.

#54 ~car~

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

I loved them all - I found they really "got" to me. And I also confess that at 34 I am desperately for Edward Cullen....is he really fictional??? Please??? Out there somewhere? Poor DH...I am so sad...

Another smitten one here, 31 & llove.gif Edward llove.gif You should have heard me telling my neice about my crush on Edward, she is 15 and gave me the book to read in the 1st place and said EVERYONE says the same, I felt like a giggling schoolgirl blush.gif Told DH and he honestly wants to know how you can fall in love with a character from a book rolleyes.gif

Hoping to go see the moving tomorrow night cclap.gif

#55 Philly Âû

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

I haven't read Twilight yet but have it on hold at the library, maybe I should just go buy it as I could have a long wait :xmas_ninja: Looking forward to reading it and seeing the movie as well original.gif

If you are into that sort of stuff there is another fantastic author that has a great vampire series that I have here called the "Wings in the Night" trilogy. The author is Maggie Shayne and I love her work. I can't compare it to Stephenie Meyer since I haven't read her series yet but though it may be of interest original.gif Here is a link to Maggie Shayne's site as well: http://www.maggieshayne.com/books.html

Just looking at her site I think I actually started at her "Beyond Twilight" in Strangers in the Night anthology so I think it's not her latest ones that I have read but well worth looking into. original.gif

Edited by Sweet Chilli Philly, 21 December 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#56 *amanda*

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

Well i am nearly finished book two and i cant say that I am smitten or think these books are the best i have ever read.

SM writing style irritates me. Just painful to read in a way... but also easy to read. I dont know - i think it is her sentence structure as it just doesn't seem to flow properly.

I have found the characters are difficult to like too. :xmas_ninja:  Too moody and intense.

I will keep reading though, as that is the type of person I am  :xmas_tongue:

Honestly if you want to really fall in love with someone read Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon  :xmas_wink:

#57 Philly Âû

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

Honestly if you want to really fall in love with someone read Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon

Hehe, done that already too :xmas_happy: Fantastic series as well original.gif

#58 ~GG77~

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

I've been reading all the people raving about these books so put Twilight on hold at my library...38 copies....I'm 337th on the list  :xmas_ohmy:   :xmas_laugh:

#59 Guest_~sonique~_*

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

I have found the characters are difficult to like too.  Too moody and intense.
That is what I like about them. Edward is so incredibly intense and that is a big attraction for me  :xmas_tongue:

Ruth - I'd just go out and buy a copy.. :xmas_tongue:

#60 SmallDarkHandsome

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

Yep, the "intense" does it for me too  :xmas_tongue: I found the characters really easy to warm to and empathise with. Actually, when reading these books I get completely swept up in them, almost as if I am involved in the story in some way. Hard to explain but I find them very engrossing in a way I didn't expect because they aren't representative of the sort of books I usually enjoy.

I saw the film last night though and I was really disappointed. Yes it captured the bare bones of the story but I felt it didn't really capture the "essence" of the book. And now if I pick up the book I am going to have bits of the film in my head imposing themselves on my imagination - grrrr. Ah well.

#61 Philly Âû

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

Well I just got the book (ended up buying it) so can't wait to start reading it biggrin.gif

Edited by Sweet Chilli Philly, 24 December 2008 - 12:17 PM.

#62 dippinsniffer

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:47 AM

A 15yr old relative gave my mid-30's DH the book and he's really enjoying them. Finished part 2 and is starting part 3 tomorrow.

#63 terri_Mc

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

Another one here who has read Twilight and New Moon in a week and am thinking wish it wasn't boxing day night as I can't go out and buy the other two!

Yes, I've been swept up in it all and found myself daydreaming about Edward LOL

I've seen the movie and thought they did well with the characters of the book, exactly the way I imagined them.

#64 Guest_shauna'smum_*

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

I just finished the first and then  'Edwards perspective' on her web site.
While I loved Bellas perspective I adored Edwards wub.gif  wub.gif .
I love being in his head!!!! I hope she releases the whole story.

I am annoyed though.
I cant find the second book in ther series aannoyed.gif .
The two nearest book shop and Kmart are out of stock.
I will search further on Monday but then think I should perhaps buy it online unsure.gif .
I admit that I am sort of addicted.
I dont think she is a great writer and some times I crave for it to be more adult ( a bit more sexy would be nice blush.gif  laughing2.gif )
I do like her character development and the atmosphere she has created though.

I have given it to my Mum to read.
She is a fast reader so I will probably be able to chat with her about it tonight.

#65 ~car~

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

Carla try Big W, they had plenty of stock in QLD (I just picked up the full set!)

Edited by ~car~, 01 January 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#66 Theophobic

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

I was dragged backwards into the hype of Twilight.

Taken to the movie by my mother and I honestly hadn't even really checked out the synopsis for the movie and then Robert Pattinson, I mean, how can you not pay attention. I have been in luuuurve with him since Cedric Diggory and then to see him as this intense brooding vampire, oh my.  wwhistle.gif

So I started on the books, I read Twilight in 2 days, then New Moon in one day and tomorrow I am off to get Eclipse, I plan to go slow though. Pace myself, but I find them so hard to put down. The characters and the love story just draw me in so intensely.

I'm not a die hard vampire lit fan but I can see why those who are aren't too fussed with Stephanie Meyer. They're not really true vampire lit IMO...

#67 ~KelKel~

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

I am slightly obsessed with these books i read all 4 three times in a month and i've seen the movie about ten times.

i had to hunt down a copy of the movie so when i needed my fix my children only lost their mother for 2 hours not the whole day it takes to read the book! lol

am madly in love with edward and Robert  wub.gif whats there not to love!

oh and those 12 chapters of midnight sun are fantastic
i hope she starts writing it again soon, can't wait to know what was going through edwards head when he relised bella wasn't at the airport.

Kelly

#68 Tongue~In~Cheek

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

I've just started reading Twilight in the last 3 days and I'm about halfway through.  Loving them so far and have to admit that although I'm 38, I seem to have developed a little bit of an Edward Cullen crush.  blush.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif

#69 Guest_~sonique~_*

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

I'm not a die hard vampire lit fan but I can see why those who are aren't too fussed with Stephanie Meyer. They're not really true vampire lit IMO...
Oh I totally agree. I read somewhere, was it on the back of the book maybe, that this is a story about vampires for people who aren't really into vampires.

How many chapters are online of Edwards version of Twilight? Must go and hunt them down  tthumbs.gif

ETA - 264 pages!!! that is quite a sneak preview!

Edited by ~sonique~, 02 January 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#70 ~KelKel~

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

ETA - 264 pages!!! that is quite a sneak preview!

ahh yes but its still not enough sad.gif it goes to chapter 12)

i'm pretty sure its been mentioned but on her website theres 'outtakes' and extras from each of the books also well worth a read!

#71 Theophobic

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

Well I can't get my hands on a copy of Eclipse until the coming week  sad.gif  I literally rang every single Big W, K Mart, Target, Dymocks and Angus & Robinson in Perth and NONE had Eclipse.

All were expecting stock next week so I put an order in with Dymocks seeing as Big W don't "take orders" or call you when it comes in  rolleyes.gif

Anywho in it's absence I'm re-reading New Moon. I don't like Edward much in this book though. Well not until the end  tongue.gif

#72 terri_Mc

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

I somehow managed to get Eclipse at a bookshop I didn't even know existed in Fremantle and paid heaps for it and so didn't mind (I only managed to get Breaking Dawn at Big W price and only 3 copies left and couldn't read it until I read Eclipse) I will have to say I was only disappointed with the fact that I had finished all 4 books.

I have seen the Twilight movie twice and want to see it again, must one of those movies you can't get enough of (and cannot wait for it to come out on dvd).

I've ready Midnight sun twice as well and so wish it wasn't leaked so Stephanie could of finished it cry1.gif

Just can't get enough of it  blush.gif \

#73 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Another fanatic here!
I absolutely LOVE  wub.gif  wub.gif  wub.gif  the twilight series.
It really sucks you in. I was away with DH's family over Christmas and one of his cousins had the books there. I read the first three in three days. I didn't really spend much time with my in laws!

It was just so intense. You could cut the tension with a knife. In biology, when they were watching the movie... when they were out at dinner... before the first kiss... Oh my!

I saw the movie... It was good, but nowhere near as good as the books. There are just some things that you can't get across in a movie. Edward was good, although not as good as the Edward I have in my head. I have to be really careful when I am reading the books to make sure I think of my Edward  tongue.gif
I thought Carlisle was cast PERFECTLY! And I loved the extra scene they put in of all the Cullens cooking Bella dinner. Was very cute and silly! I also really liked Bella. I didn't really have a picture of what she would look like in my head so I didn't have anythign to compare it to.

I really hope she finishes Midnight Sun. That was beautiful to read, from Edward's perspective. I am another who would like to see the 4 books written from his perspective.

I  wub.gif  Edward too...   ddoh.gif

#74 K2010

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

I brought a copy of Twilight today and cant wait to start tthumbs.gif

#75 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

I've almost finished the series for the 2nd time in less than 3 weeks. I am going to start at the beginning again.

Wonder how many reads before I get bored of it? original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.