Show us your cakes!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
84 replies to this topic

#1 Jen1

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

Well my dd is having her 8th birthday tomorrow and she decided she wanted a castle.  It took us ages to ice it all, but hopefully she will love it!!  grin.gif

Thought I would post some piccy's here

#2 Shellby

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

That cake is fantasic!

Here are some different ones I have done over the years

James 2nd Birthday cake for pirate theme party

Ben 1st birthday cake

James 5th at home family party cake

James 4th birthday cake as he really wanted this top

I know I have others but the photos must still be on my other PC. This year James wants TMNT - so that should be fun next month.

#3 Guest_~*Kirsty*~_*

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

OMG!!! They are awesome. I have done a few over the years and although not as good as these ones here is the one I made last night for my DD's birthday party today.

Will have to dig out some more out of the photo albums and scan them onto the pc.

original.gif

#4 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

Jen I did that one a couple of years ago - it took sooooo long I recall. Yours looks great!
Here is the one Miss 9 had today for her 9th b'day Art Party. It was very easy but effective I think.

#5 Jen1

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

Shellby your cakes look fantastic!! Goodluck with doing James's cake for this year the TMNT. You will have to post a piccy. I have my ds's birthday next month and he wants a snake, so that is the one we will be attempting to make.  grin.gif

~*Kirsty*~, your #8 looks fantastic!! Hope your dd had a great birthday party today!!

**Tiger*Filly**, what a great cake too. Fantastic!! Hope your dd had a great birthday party yesterday!  I agree with the castle cake, it did take a long time to ice. The cake to cook was the easy part, it was the icing that took the longest. Dh and I get into decorating the cakes once the children have gone to bed, and dh gets into it more than me.  grin.gif

It seems so sad to cut them up, after all the effort they take to make.  sad.gif
It is such a great reaction when you hear the children go wow, ah ah when you bring out the cake. It makes it all worth it.

Edited by Jen1, 17 August 2008 - 05:06 PM.

#6 Shellby

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:24 PM

Thanks - I love the art cake, so creative and the 8 is so colourful.

I actually never make the cake bit - I normally order a slab to the size I need, then come home, cut it up and decorate - just to save time. Supermarkets with a full bakery will do 1/4 slabs for $6 (and will ice for that price but I always ask for no icing).

Thinking for the TMNT one next month I will only do the head bit, should be easy if I get a picture of a head and copy the lines onto the cake etc. I  wub.gif decorating cakes - just wish I had more time for it.

#7 Divine 37

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:40 AM

This was for DS 5th Birthday.

#8 Jen1

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

I actually never make the cake bit - I normally order a slab to the size I need, then come home, cut it up and decorate - just to save time. Supermarkets with a full bakery will do 1/4 slabs for $6 (and will ice for that price but I always ask for no icing).
  I haven't bought a slab for my cakes, but it would make it easier.  grin.gif I find I would have to freeze it beforehand so I could cut it how I liked. It is quite easy to cut to shape when it is frozen.

marcusdeanasmum, love the cake, it looks great.  biggrin.gif

#9 *CalamityJane*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

Snap Jen!  I made the slack version of that cake last year LOL.

And this one...

I have twins, so I get to make two at once  wacko.gif .

#10 Jen1

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

*CalamityJane*, your cakes look great.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  
My dd first orginally wanted your second cake first, but then saw the castle one in the book and wanted that one.

#11 KristyMum-

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Love lookin at all your cakes - OP are the gates white chocolate?

Brooke's 9th Birthday party (pyjama dinner party) was last night, her cake is here - something simpler and to suit a dinner party style theme.  Other cakes are here.  Off to check out some more threads in this section!

Cheers
Kristy

Edited by KristyMumTo4, 31 August 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#12 Jen1

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

Hi Kristy, your cakes are gorgeous.  wub.gif

It is white chocolate for my dd's cake. After you melted the chocolate you had to add some oil to it, then put it on greaseproof paper and then it set. We were going to colour the white chocolate, but it set too quickly with the colour, so in the end we just went with the white.

#13 KristyMum-

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Jen. original.gif

Thanks re answer for the chocolate gates - I've done melted choc piped on greaseproof paper before but not with the oil - did you mix the oil in when you melted the choc?  Do you remember what quantities at all?

#14 Jen1

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

Hi Kristy, you melt the chocolate first and then add the oil.

Later on today I will post the quantities, just have to get the children to school etc.  grin.gif

#15 Jen1

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

250gms of chocolate melts.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil.

Melt the chocolate and then add the vegetable oil, and then put into piping bag and squeeze it out on the baking paper. It dries pretty quickly, we dried it in the fridge.

That makes quite a bit of chocolate, as we had to use it for the roof and windows of the cake as well.  biggrin.gif

#16 KristyMum-

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

Thanks Jen  original.gif

Kristy

#17 Delillah1

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Here's a castle cake I did for my DD's 5th b'day and the cupcake my sister did for my 1 year old DD.

#18 Jen1

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

Yiota, your cakes look great.  grin.gif

Here is my ds's 5th birthday cake we made tonight, he is having his party tomorrow.

#19 *CalamityJane*

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

I'm back with my cakes from DDs' birthday on the weekend LOL.  Photobucket hates me, so you'll have to put up with a link to the blog post - Cake-o-rama

Jen, how did you not go cross-eyed lining up all those marshmallows?

#20 Jen1

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Calamity Jane, wow your cakes are fantastic.  grin.gif  What a great idea with the cupcake, I will definately use that idea, just brilliant.

Jen, how did you not go cross-eyed lining up all those marshmallows?
Dh and myself put the marshmallows on the cake, but it was more Dh than me, we did get rather sick of it at the end of it.  laughing2.gif

#21 *CalamityJane*

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

LOL Jen, I couldn't work out what to do with the cupcakes and then remembered a pic from Donna Hay magazine I glanced at in a newsagent.  I already had lollypops from loot bags and leaves from one of the cakes, so Bob's your uncle!

#22 Dino-Mite

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Harley is having his 6th birthday party today. Harley wanted a seal for a cake as he is having his party at Oceanworld Manly. We found a seal in the Womens Weekly Cake cookbook and all was going to plan until Ollie bought the masonite to make a cake board. When it came time to cut it, it was worked out that it was almost the right size (62cm x 85cm),  If we made it to the size of the cookbook, there wpuld be NO way to get it into the car let alone the fridge. Ollie downsized the seal (had to draw a new one) and then this is the end result. Not bad at all!  

#23 Rockwiz

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Dino-mite

Is there a new WW Cookbook out as mine doesn't have the seal in it? Nice cake BTW!

#24 Jen1

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Dino-Mite, the cake looks fantastic, what a great seal. Hope that Harley had a great party today.  grin.gif

#25 Dino-Mite

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

Is there a new WW Cookbook out as mine doesn't have the seal in it? Nice cake BTW!

Just had a a look at the date the book was printed and it says it was first printed in 2005 and reprinted in 2006.  That was about the time I thought I would start making his cakes but this year was the first time that his cake was homemade (by Ollie  laughing2.gif ).  I was ready to go and buy one!!  

They have probably taken it out because it was way to big   tongue.gif

Jen, Harley did have a good time and 2.5 hours was enough for me  grin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.