Cheap ways to block light from kids bedroom windows - in addition to curtains!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 my2prettyangels

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi
Just planning ahead for the lighter mornings as my girls wake up as soon as the sun starts to rise! We already have blockout curtains with verticle blinds behind them but it isn't enough. Previously we have put alfoil on the windows but I just don't want to do that again.
Is there such a thing as cheap blinds or something I can do on the outside of the house to block the light? I would love rollershutters but I think they are really expensive?
Any ideas appreciated!
Thanks  original.gif

#2 00ruby00

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

I have rollershutters and love them.. we are moving soon..and renting this house.. I am going to miss my rollershutters.  cry1.gif

Most companies..have a weekly payment plan..we pay $55 a week..and that was for about `6` windows.
We got 3 done by another company first..and got ripped off majorly!!

The other 6...were cheaper than the first 3 LOL!! and they look exactly the same. Helps to shop around.

I was going to suggest alfoil..but it's not a good look is it.

#3 xygirl351

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:27 AM

When we was kids my Dad use to put insulation on the windows.
It was the stuff that was silver on one side and blue on the other. I am sure you can buy it from Bunnings.

If that is no good, in our bedroom now we have one massive window and the sun hits it first thing in the morning. So i went to spotlight and had a look at heaps of different fabrics by holding them up to the light and seeing what held the most light out.
I ended up with a dark blue fabric and almost no light at all comes in.

Of a night time before bed i just chuck it over our window (we have curtain up there so just put the top on the curtail rack and tuck it behind) and then in morning take it down fold it up. Very easy and keeps us happy.

Ah for rollershutters give OZ Shutters a ring. They are doing cheaper shutters at the moment if you have there sign in your front yard. And they also have payment plan.

#4 ~*~Jacqui~*~

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

Al foil  tongue.gif

#5 Pinert

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

We have mounted shadecloth blinds from Bunnings to the eaves outside the west-facing windows and these seem to do a good job.  

I have also put some really simple swags and side drapes over the blinds inside - just bought a length of cheap bright fabric from Spotlight, hemmed the ends and draped it from 2 screw-in curtain hooks from Spotlight so there is a long piece of fabric going up one side, across the top and down the other side.  Kind of hard to describe but I folded the edges of the fabric in on itself then gathered it where it goes through the hooks so it drapes nicely.  It blocks the light that comes through the top and sides of the blinds, but I can still open the blinds and windows.

#6 lewis

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

We have mounted shadecloth blinds from Bunnings to the eaves outside the west-facing windows and these seem to do a good job.

We did almost the same for DD#2 room with success. Instead of from the eaves we attached it to the brick work next to the window.  Its not total pitch black darkness, but helps heaps with the light and room temp in summer.  Also stops the rain from touching the window and waking her in winter. From memory ours cost $100 for a LARGE window.

Cheers!

Edited by lewis, 07 August 2008 - 01:08 PM.

#7 nom de plume

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

We have wooden blinds and drapes on the kids' windows.  But whilst we were waiting for those to be made, I bought some block-out fabric from Spotlight and a bunch of velcro sticker things.  I cut out the block-out material to the size of the window and adhered it by using the velcro.  Easy to put up and pull down when needed.  Inexpesive too.

#8 ***specialK***

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

I used alfoil!

So so dark original.gif

Just use sticky tape on the frames - I tried to avoid it on the glass

#9 laughter

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

We also have the shade cloth type blinds that Pinert is talking about, we have them anchored to the brickwork too.
My parents had a very cost efficient idea, they used sun visor/shades for your windscreen from the $2 shop, just blu tac'd them in place.

#10 twinoski

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

have you tried a holland blind.  i think that is what they are called and they just pull straight down.  spotlight has a sale on blinds this week might be worth to pop in and have a look.
you might have to go back to alfoil honey.  cry1.gif

#11 hootymcboob

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

I use roman blinds inside - picked up some cheap from Bunnings (~$50), and a bambo blind (`$15) on the outside of the window that doesn't have a roman up yet. The romans are great - as they are material, I painted them with the stencil thingos I used on the wall border to match them.
I used the velcro block-out fabric option also but it just wasn't as effective for me.

#12 ~Kaylene~

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

I was going to say alfoil too wink.gif Spray window with water and stick wink.gif

#13 my2prettyangels

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

I've used alfoil in the past - it works perfectly but I don't want to use it anymore, looks awful and has made parts of our windows a bit strange (I think due to sticking it on with water).

Thanks for the other ideas, I will look into those! Anyone know where to get cheap bamboo blinds from? Can anyone give me a rough idea on how much roller shutters cost?

Thanks  original.gif

#14 More than a Mother

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

A cheap option would be white out fabric(does the same as blackout fabric, but is white) from Spotlight.  You could put it up as an extra curtain, or use it to line your current curtains. Very effective, and also stops some heat.

#15 howAboutAcuggle

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

We use cardboard, cut to size and slot in place.
Were you planning to buy some thing big soon thats comes in a big cardboard box?  grin.gif

I have seen and would like to purchase as soon as I find one, a window blockout that's like a sheet with suction cups on it that you then attach to your window. I'm sure it could be homemade too.

Edited by howAboutAcuggle, 07 August 2008 - 08:12 PM.

#16 howAboutAcuggle

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

I found some photos of the suction cup blind idea.

If anyone has seen these around... please let me know. original.gif

edited because I stuffed up adding pics!!
heres a link instead... https://www.monkeysundies.com/detail.asp?id=25810&pic=0#img

Edited by howAboutAcuggle, 07 August 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#17 donthavetv

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

The  blockout blinds were $10 or  so at Kmart last week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.