How do I stop him self-weaning? Tips appreciated.

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 Titania

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support, you wonderful women.  wub.gif

MP, yes I sure would try going on with the morning feed. Wouldn't be too hopeful though - with DS1 I tried to carry on with just morning and evening, and my supply gave out.

BUT, guess what?! He's a yo-yo. He had proper morning and evening feeds yesterday (which were a bit of a struggle but he took them) and two smaller feeds, and only bit me twice at end of feeds, and he had a feed over night!  wub.gif  wub.gif  

I got AF the night before - so now I think he's been so bad lately as maybe it's been a double whammy for him - teeth and AF coming. Feasible huh? So hopefully we will be able to continue a bit longer at least.  hands.gif

#52 beaglebabe

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hi Titania,

That's great news.  I certainly think AF can affect feeding - I've heard heaps of stories of babies being fussy and difficult to feed just prior to AF.

You're doing a wonderful job - I hope he continues to feed without biting.  It certainly makes it hard to relax and enjoy feeding when you are worried about what those little teeth are up to.

Michelle

#53 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Yay Titania!  So glad to hear things might be back on track for you and your little man! wub.gif

I actually thought of you today when Noah bit me during a feed - he has 7 teeth now and man it hurt! ohmy.gif  laughing2.gif

#54 Prizzy

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

How's it going now Titania? I've been thinking of you both.

#55 Titania

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

Still doing ok here. original.gif The odd bite etc - but no more outright refusal. Problem is now he's up in the night 3 times, so very tired. I've never known a tooth so long in coming through. Top left canine - giving him a lot of trouble.

#56 kristabelle01

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

Well you certainly sound more positive, night waking and all! biggrin.gif

It wont last forever - at least thats what I keep telling myself, every time I hear that familiar cry during the night grin.gif

Kristie x

#57 Prizzy

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

Poor baby and poor you.  ohmy.gif
Contrary to what certain authors say, it can take up to a few weeks for teeth to arise. I'm sure I'm not the only mother who has done fortnight long stints with teeth.
Try and look through the awful fog at the bright side (if you can) - at least he's not biting PLUS you're able to give him the immediate comfort and nourishment he's so dependent on, particularly when he's in pain - you know how awful toothaches can be. He'd be lost without you and your wonderful breastfeeding relationship right now.
I'm thinking of you both lots. We all are. original.gif

#58 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Hi Titiana, how are things going?

#59 Titania

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

Hehe. It's a saga.

Back to outright refusal and biting from last night. He has had a rotten virus for a few days (On ventolin and steroids for asthma), non stop coughing and snotty as - but again I think it's associated to teeth - which are still not through!
I've never been a huge believer in teeth moving around a lot under the gums, and then stopping etc, but I'm rapidly changing my view. He still only has 6 teeth - 4 upper, 2 lower, and he's approaching 11.5mths now, and I think there's at least three or four on their way.

It's just so erratic, and the refusal and biting seems to happen almost every week now. We hadn't been offering any bottles at all - but the last couple of days that's changed, and he's been sometimes having one in the night. Poor little guy's just so sick, it's hard for him to suck properly and he needs the comfort etc. He's been having mostly water in a sippy cup, but a little formula in a bottle too - I'm sick as a dog too, so I need a bit of a reprieve as well.

I am starting to feel a little more relaxed about the whole thing. I know we'll make it to at least a year, even with it being a battle. Beyond that, I'm probably not willing to struggle so much - he can take it or leave it.  wacko.gif

Thanks for asking! original.gif

#60 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:41 AM

Oh, you have had such a rough time with it all!  Good on you for sticking it out for this long - you're so close to that magical 12 month mark now! cclap.gif  I hope you feel really proud, because you've done such a wonderful job getting this far with all the struggles you've had.

Your poor little man, being so sick. sad.gif  My littlies are both really sick atm too, so I know just how hard it makes feeding (I've been bitten on the right side a few times and it's so sore even just wearing my bra hurts!).  Not to mention teething on top of it all! rolleyes.gif

Good luck with getting past the 12 month mark, hopefully these teeth will cut soon and he'll decide that boobie is just too good to give up. wink.gif  You've done an awesome job to get this far!

#61 Titania

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

Thanks Karla.

DS was just recovering from previous virus, and has now come down with suspected Hand, Foot and Mouth. He's been really sick, and his mouth and throat are obviously so painful.
He has just had a bottle of formula for bed-time.  cry1.gif He's only had one BF today and wouldn't have more. I'm tired of pumping to try and keep up supply - and I haven't today - not that I get anything out, and the poor baby's mouth is obviously too sore to suck on boobs - so I don't think it's right to not offer a bottle. He's also been having so little milk lately that I'm worried about his intake. I don't see what else I can do. I really don't want to wean  cry1.gif  cry1.gif  but I don't know what else to do... sad.gif

Just having a whinge - not really asking for advice. As Y'all know, I've tried everything... sad.gif

#62 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

sad.gif  Oh your poor little man.  I completely agree that sometimes, you just have to give them whatever they'll take, especially when they're sick.  I've said it before, but you've done an awesome job to get this far, so you should be congratulating yourself rather than feeling guilty.

I hope he feels better soon, the poor little sausage. sad.gif

#63 nung

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

This topic has come up on a Google search, so I signed up so that I can comment.....

Everything you have described over the past month or so is exactly what has been happening with my boy over the last 3-4 days!  In 10 days time he'll be 10mths old.  It started off 4 nights ago where he refused to have his feed before bed, but would take about 50ml of EBM in a bottle then go off to sleep.  At the time I thought it was a supply issue because he kept trying to feed them cry out of frustration, and my boobs felt very empty.  But the next day he started refusing his day feeds, and lots of bites and fussing later and I was in tears!!  I have been very emotional for the last 3 days as he has gone from having 4-5 feeds a day to 1-2 if I am lucky!  DS has been a very fussy feeder since birth, so my emotions have been swinging because part of me is very very ready to give up and reclaim some sanity after dealing with constant fussing and biting, and the other part of me feels guilty for letting myself think about weaning in the first place!

Anyway it has been reassuring reading that other people have experienced similar situations.  DS has gotten 5 teeth in the last 5 weeks, with no doubt some more on the way, so I know some of this has to do with teeth, but he was never this bad with the other teeth... AF also returned 2 mths ago, so I think there's a lot of things going on!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.