FDC chat #1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#1 ChunkyChook

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Here it is, FDC chat for everyone from carers to parents with children in FDC. Ask questions about anything and PLEASE share lots of ideas and tips.

Name: Kodi
State:Vic
Children:
Girls ~ 14m, 2.5yo(mine), 3yo
Boys ~ 8m, 2yo, x2 3yo
Days: Tues-Fri

Anything else I need to add??

#2 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Name: Amber
State: QLD
Children:
Girls ~ None!
Boys ~ 2.5yr, 2x22mths, 11mo
Days: Mon - Thurs

Do you use the FDCarer site at all? They also have great ideas and help. I love the idea of this smaller group though as the other one is quite big and I feel it will be harder to 'know' and remember people. Great for ideas though original.gif

#3 ChunkyChook

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Amber is that the official site?

I haven't been there for a very long time. I struggled with it last time I was there.

Might go check it out.

I am in the middle of changing all my program planning. It is taking alot of work but should be worth it.

#4 heidistar

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hi,

Can i join too??? I am an Ex-carer, but hope to become a carer again in the near future hands.gif

Name: Heidi
State: NSW
Children:
Girls ~ 18mths (mine)
Boys ~
Days: none at the moment (hopfully Mon-Fri early next year hands.gif )

#5 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hi Heidi waves.gif

Kodi - not sure if the site is official or not? I thought it was a new site actually. but maybe that is just the site for advertising care??

How do you do your program? I have a program but find with all my kids so young they really prefer free play. Will be interested in trying new things as they get older. original.gif

#6 ChunkyChook

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

Ohhhh Heidi. How are you? Haven't seen you around for a while. Of course you can join us!

Just so you all know Heidi was person I annoyed when I was starting up with all my questions.

Amber I was going to familydaycare.com.au

Is that the one?

My program planning was more of letting the kids take charge. Following their lead. Also alot of free play.

I am planning on doing age appropriate themes and changing countries with our cooking every week or two.

#7 ~*Bec*~

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hey finally its here ......

Name - Rebecca
State - Canberra
Status - Carer

Children:
Boys - 20mths (mine) 14mths
Girls - 5 yrs (mine) 4 yrs

Working mon-fri

Lets talk raining/cold day craft...I NEED idea's Ladies!

#8 mumofmaximus

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

Hello everyone,

Name: Evelyn
State:S.A. Adelaide
Status: in the process of becoming FDC. (Just handed in my police thingy)
I have 1 son, 10 months old.
I hope I will be able to start soon and be able to get my house child proof and up for inspection soon (but sooo overwhelming!) I am so not use to not working and really need to work for my own peace of mind.

#9 heidistar

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

Evening Ladies,

I have just given up my job as the Authorised Supervisor of a CCC as i wanted to spend more time at home with DD Nitara, also working away from home full-time with a small child was proving very hard for me, that coupled with getting her ready & to go to work/kindy 4 days per/wk was to to to tiring!!!

I was looking into doing casual in CCC's two days a week, but didn't get any work last week. I also put my name with a Nanny agency but she was going to call me back today & hasn't glare.gif

Sooooo i think i'll call the local FDC on Monday & see if they are in need of more carers + also see about starting up... Bit concerned though as we only have a current lease of 6mths (which ends in Jan09... hoping to re-new though, should be able to) + also i still would need the owners approval. The house is small so may only look at taking 2-3 chn each day aswel as my DD.

#10 ChunkyChook

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

Lets talk raining/cold day craft...I NEED idea's Ladies!

Here are the last few things we have doneand a few to come....

Collected leaves and then pasted them onto a bare tree I drew for hem on paper (nature theme)
Good old coloured shapes pasted on paper
Under the sea collages, cut out diffent sizes of fish from coloured paper and drew eyes and mouths, used scrapbook punches of stars for star fish, octopuses with wool legs etc (Ocean/Beach theme)
Lots of scrapbooking punches pasted onto paper
Outline of a sheep then paste cotton wool on (Farm theme)
Another bare tree but used coloured tissue paper as blossom (Nature theme)
Hand and foot prints in paint (Us/Human body theme)
Paint butterflies, dot different coloured paints and fold in half (Animals/Insects theme)
Cut up old magazines and paste them on paper
Making things from old boxes, I keep every box I can

There are heaps more, I will go through some of the kids scrapbooks and my old program planning stuff and see what else I have.

How does everyone keep amd make their program plans?

At them moment I have a scrapbook for each child which I try to write in daily and have samples of their work as much as possible and then I have my own daily diary with ideas, what we had done for the day and an evaluation for dos and donts for next time.

#11 ~*Bec*~

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Was on the phone to my sister and she suggested french knitting which sounds fun, and pom poms and pom pom animals.

My girls love dolls so the both have the baby born dolls and im thinking of buying a sewing machine next week and making them dolls clothes for there dolls.

#12 heidistar

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

Programming: I had a 'Daily Diary' which i wrote in every day & At the top i would write 'Today's' activities & at the bottom i would put follow-up activities for tomorrow/next week etc. Then i had a clear display book/folder for each child where i would put samples of their art works, photos & stories of their time in FDC that year.

#13 ~*Bec*~

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

I need to start doing a daily diary of activities but atm i havnt found a way of doing one that would be age appropriate as i have a 4 yr old and a 14mth old (thats sleeps alot) i do however tell the parents what we will be doing in a day and so on and so forth but i need a planner or some idea's of ways to plan my day i kinda just go with the flow.
I do have a display folder with all the kiddies picturs in it and there craft items (i usually get them to do 2 so i can keep one) and i do it in a scrapbooking format and add stickers etc etc...

#14 4lildarlins

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

Name: Chris
State: QLD
Children:
Girls ~ Emma 7, Sarah 6 ( mine )
Boys ~ Callum 4, Josh 2 ( mine)
Days: Will be Mon to Fri as of Sept, with 2 more gorgeous kiddies to nurture  wub.gif

I am on programming this week in my training. I have decided to have a theme for each week and we will do activities, songs, stories, excursions related to that. Eg my ocean theme week we will make jellyfish and fish and an ocean wall. Sing fishie songs, read stories about the beach and ocean, learn slip slop slap etc. I have written it up for the parents to view each week, and at the bottom were the aims of what I hoped the children would learn. Eg fine motor skills in cutting out. it has helped though that my dd's once attended, and my ds now currently attends a C and K kindy, and I can steal what they do lol!

There are tonnes of craft web sites I get ideas from but not sure if I can tell you on here??

Our carers need to keep a log of milestones and things the children do and what they have learnt each week for each child anyway.

I have had the car safety check done, medical and fitness check, car seats next week, I have my ABN, then first aid the week after and I am done. ( I am an RN though so not to worried about the first aid lol!) My only hold up is my blue card now ... they said it could take 8 - 10 weeks ... is that right????

look forward to chatting to you all!!

Edited by 4lildarlins, 15 August 2008 - 10:48 PM.

#15 heidistar

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

Bec: Perhaps make a programming chart & plan your weekly ideas on that & then in the diary write up what happened each day. Did you do something different? Why? did it work or not work? why? etc

If you PM me your email perhaps i can email you something to get you started original.gif

Edited by heidistar, 15 August 2008 - 11:07 PM.

#16 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

Perhaps make a programming chart & plan your weekly ideas on that & then in the diary write up what happened each day. Did you do something different? Why? did it work or not work? why? etc

This is what I do, but I kept running out of room in the diary so now I write my evaluations and observations on the back of the program and I keep them all in a plastic sleeve folder along with a seperate printout of the recipes we tried that week and a seperate evaluation on the back of that about how they went.

I also do diaries for the kiddies but mine are electronic - a slide show on the computer. I scan in art works and upload photos. The parents like to take home the few works of art their chn will participate in so this way I just have a copy. As they get older I might try to keep an art diary to send home with their discs.

I find it hard to get all my kiddies to do any craft as the twins just aren't interested in anything but flicking pages of books and the little one is a bit too little (tho he has done a few paintings). Will (my son) loves it and cant get enough but I find it hard to set it up for just him IYKWIM? I then have to keep the little one from eating all the craft supplies! wacko.gif

I have just bought a really big play pen that I am going to set up outside so I can have the easle and paints out everyday and as they want to paint I can let them into it without having to pack up and get it out every 5 minutes biggrin.gif

Just a few craft ideas that work well with the little ones (when they are interested):
* collages - using clear contact rather than glue and paper. We use natural mediums (leaves, flowers etc) and craft supplies (small pom poms, glitter, paper, straws, pipecleaners etc) and sandwich it between two pieces of contact
* blackboard art - we have a big black board (made it to cover a window that needed safety film otherwise) and the kids go crazy with coloured chalk. Take photos as they go for your folders
* paints - i bluetac everything to the table (including the paint plates) so they can do it as they please and they don't drop everything on the floor to make more cleaning. If your doing it inside use a big old sheet on the floor and teach them they can't go off the sheet until they get cleaned up
* masks - print them off the net and cut them out (if they are too little) and let them decorate however they want. Or just use paper plates and cut holes in it for eyes. Let them go wild!
* keep cutouts of different foods and let them make their own "lunches" by sticking what they want onto paper plates

Kodi - site is: www.daycarer.com There are lots of craft ideas here and also lots of documents that get shared. ie Termination letters, programming ideas etc

Best go and get stuff done. I am trying to clear out the computer area today and find better storage solutions to keep everything looking neat. Maybe I will need to turn it off so I am not distracted and come back in here! laughing2.gif

Enjoy your weekend ladies! biggrin.gif

#17 ~*Bec*~

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

Kepp the id's coming ladies im jotting them all down and im going to start trying them.....
But in saying that mu older girls love crafts but get bored easily! And my babies are to young to do anything except drawings and my little little one cant do anything but chew things! laughing2.gif

#18 heidistar

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

And my babies are to young to do anything except drawings
I have done paintings, collarge etc with babies... they just need some assistance & hand guiding to do it. Remember it's not always the product that matters but more so the expeience of feeling/touching

#19 ~*Bec*~

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

I guess so.....Never really thought about it.
I was told to buy some bingo dotters as they are good ways for young ones to paint without the mess.

#20 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

Similar to the bingo dotters are the new range of crayola stuff for little ones. There are crayons and paints etc.

I agree though with Heidi it is also good for them to experience the feel of things. Perhaps you could make your own paint that is OK for the babies and won't hurt them if the do get some in their mouths? I am sure I have a recipe somewhere if you are interested.

Another way for them to experience paint without mess is to put big blobs into a ziploc bag and seal it (add tape to help keep it closed if you are worried) and try to get as much air out as possible and let them feel and mix the colours through the bags. original.gif

#21 daretofly

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hi what a great idea to have a chat and compare ideas.

I am in sa and the ages of kids I have in care range from 2.5 to 12.

I have a big diary and write my week out on a sunday.
The kids tell me what they want to do the following week and I jot it down and work my program around that.

Each child has a folder with bits of artwork, photos etc and I keep my observations in one folder to flick through when I am wanting ideas.

we will be doing a winter theme for the next few weeks (even though winter is almost over) so I will work things around that. We will be learning about countries that have snow, animals that live in cold weather, I will do crafts that incorporate things like shapes, numbers, colours etc whilst trying to keep in theme.

Our day is usually outings in the mornings(playgroups, library, networking with other carers), then free play for half hour before lunch, lunch, quiet time for an hour, circle time, craft, games then free play if we have time before the school run.

I love doing daycare and love hearing how others run theirs and ideas they use.

I was told to buy some bingo dotters as they are good ways for young ones to paint without the mess.

Another good thing to use is mums underarm deoderant bottles. Just fill them with paint and the kids can roll them. I happily let the kids use them indoors.

#22 troysmum

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hi everyone,
     i am in victoria and have been doing family daycare for 10 years and still enjoy it. I have completed cert 3 recently. it is great too get different ideas of each other.the other site that was mentioned is daycarer.com and is not recommeded by National family daycare.
hope everyone has a great evening

#23 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

Oops, yes forgot that FDCA pulled their support shrug.gif It is still great for ideas and help when you need it but as with everything on the net don't take it all as gospel.  original.gif

#24 heidistar

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

Terrific ideas for babies & painting ideas biggrin.gif I too was going to suggest the underarm rollers, I haven't persoanally used them but heard their good to use. But i have always allowed the babies to experience paint brushes, finger painting, gluing etc, i just give them some assistance wink.gif

Starting up FDC again:
I'm still undecided at the moment.... I think i'll just give the local scheme a call & have a chat. I may need to do some training with them as they are a different scheme to whom i was with last time + police record check will likely have to be done again & that can take ages etc. Then i also need to write a letter to the owner requesting i can do it here + a few safety issues that i would need to fix. I'm not sure if it'll be more effort then it will be worth IYKWIM? Maybe i can get the ball rolling & start up next year if we can sign a new lease to be sure we're safe to stay on here shrug.gif

Sorry i'm rambling LOL blush.gif

Edited by heidistar, 16 August 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#25 Guest_TyandRy_*

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

Hi Girls,

I am currently in the process of starting family daycare, I have just done the first part of my first aid and are doing my 3 day orientation this week.

I am not looking foward to the safety check though as someone has told me it is 4 pages long!  ohmy.gif

I am looking at starting mid september and are really looking forward to it as I will be working mon - thurs and will have both of my boys with me but will still be putting them in care 1 day a week with their current friends.

Look forward to getting to know you all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.