Children: 7mth, 2.5yr, 3yr, 4yr
Days: Tues, Wed, Thur

#27 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Goodluck for Tuesday Tami. Your set-up looks great BTW! biggrin.gif

#28 forestfriends

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback and I will let you know how things go im very excited

Edited by forestfriends, 17 August 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#29 lajenza

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

Good luck Tami.

Just reading along ladies, still in the thinking stage. unsure.gif  

My projected set up costs are a little frightening ohmy.gif I only want to do 2 days a week initially (bf my 4mnth old) so I have be very careful with my spending. I'm going to try making, improvising and market shopping for most of my things.

-Does everyone use Harmony light for their book keeping ?
-Do you buy your cleaning/art/craft supplies from regular supermarket, dollar shops etc ?
-Do you stick to a budget of spending each week? My calculations don't leave much to be desired.

thanks
Jen

p.s-Hi Amber wub.gif

#30 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

Hi Jen

Do you buy your cleaning/art/craft supplies from regular supermarket, dollar shops etc ? Have been using Aldi cleaning products and art and craft stuff from Big W and Crazy Clarks. I have just found a supplier in Capalaba for my art and craft stuff tho. If you are interested I will grab a product list and email it next time I am there.

Also check out baby & kids markets, garage sales and ebay for setting up your FDC. original.gif

Edited by Willambian, 18 August 2008 - 08:37 AM.

#31 mumofmaximus

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hi, just wondering what is this 'Blue card'.
I am at the moment waiting for my police check to come back. I think I am ok with first aid cos i did BELS end of last year while i was working as a kindy director. Hope i don't have to do another type. (so many types! it's like they just want us to spend more $!)

Does everyone have like a big car, or have upgraded their car? I only have a smallish car and am wondering if that will fit 2 other child seats in there.  
Thanks in advance for your replies:)

#32 ChunkyChook

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hi All,

Had a super busy weekend so haven't ben around much.

We are having a working bee today so I wont be around until this evening.

Will be back then to chat!

#33 mumofmaximus

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

Also,
When you buy from garage sales or from friends, how do you claim that from tax? I see myself buying alot of the toys from these places.
All the best Tami! it is so exciting for you! grin.gif
Chris can you share what the car safety check was like?
Thanks,

#34 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

what is this 'Blue card'
This is the QLD equivalent of a police check. You are issued with a blue card that will last two years I believe grin.gif

Does everyone have like a big car, or have upgraded their car?
I don't have a big car. I don't take out my children yet, apart from an occassional play session where the scheme will pick us up in their bus. Next year I am planning to buy a car big enough to accommodate all the children + carseats + prams etc biggrin.gif

Kodi
- oh, we had a wroking bee here over the weekend too. A good clean and re-arranged one of the play rooms. Feels good biggrin.gif

When you buy from garage sales or from friends, how do you claim that from tax?
I was wondering this not long ago as I buy from ebay, markets and garage sales a bit. Another carer said to take your own receipt book and ask the seller to fill out the page, leave a copy with them if they want it or just keep your copy. Make sure it says who it is from, what it was and how much and get it signed

Edited by Willambian, 18 August 2008 - 10:20 AM.

#35 mumofmaximus

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Williambian wub.gif

Edited by mumofmaximus, 18 August 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#36 ~*Bec*~

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

lajenza - I am not sure about it but have you thought about the FDC grant????

I bought a falcon 95 model but it wasnt bought for day care it was bought for my growing family before i started FDC.

I dont start work today till 11:30, and playgroup reading group on wednesday so im off ill come by soon and have a chat.

Have a good day ladies and have fun playing with your bubba's

#37 forestfriends

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

Yes I bought all of my equipment mainly from Ebay, also had friends with kids donate toys they were no longer using. Prior to that I looked around at garage sales. Items dont have to be new so long as they are save to use and dont have any cracks, pointed edges etc I always had the seller give me a receipt so that I could claim back on tax.

Art & craft materials I pick up from dollar savers, crazy clarks and the warehouse.

In regards to a car I have recently upgraded my 5 seater Santa Fe to an 8 seater Tarago so that I am able to take on the full 7 children that I am entitled. It was a decision that didnt' need to be made straight away but the sooner I did that the more chance I had of filling quicker.

#38 TeamBlue

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hi
Hope you guys don't mind me popping in to ask a few Q's on FDC? Ds1 and DS2 are on the waiting list atm. But I have been wondering, when i supply their food is it better to avoid foods that need reheating ? I'd be suppling their snacks etc because of allergies. original.gif
TIA
Jess

#39 Guest_Willambian_*

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

I don't mind reheating foods, but I think all carers are different. I won't serve foods that need to be very hot (2min noodles etc) as they are a safety risk I believe especially as there are more kids than usual and sometimes the kids get too excited and food gets spilled.

I think my biggest thing is once they are old enough to do so send foods that they can feed themselves as much as possible. With a full house if more than one needed alot of help you would find the kids would all be waiting for their next bite from the carer IYKWIM?

HTH original.gif

#40 4lildarlins

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Jess : I would heat up food for the kids .. esp if their was an issue such as allergies and their diet may be limited.

Chris can you share what the car safety check was like?
Thanks,

I do not know I just took it in to be serviced, and asked them to write up a safety certificate for me as well  blush.gif  Sorry, I think you could look it up on the roads and transport website for your state .. that was how I found out who could do it for me.

CARS : I had a Kia grand carnival, and just sold it and brought a Hyundai Imax. The Kia only had lap belts for the middle seats, and I was not happy with that from a safety aspect. I can now get 6 boosters and or 6 full size car seats in safely. In saying that all my 4 are still in care seats.

I am buying stuff from anywhere and everywhere I can. Luckily I have a bit of stuff left over from my kids that has helped.

be back to chat tonight  grin.gif

Edited by 4lildarlins, 18 August 2008 - 12:54 PM.

#41 *~Bee~*

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Ok I am going to pop my head in here too.
My name is Belinda. I am in the process of starting FDC. Have my First Aid Cert booked in to do, my appointment with the FDC at my Council, police checks are sent back. Setting up with things like toys and portacots.

This chat thread is great.  wub.gif

#42 ~*Bec*~

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hey girls...I was just thinking, if you would like to add me to you msn or Facebook account pls do not hesitate to PM me for my details and ill add you, we can chat more.

#43 ChunkyChook

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

I but my bits and pieces from everywhere. Mostly cheap shops though.

I will set myself a weekly budget in the next month or so. I have spent thousands. It is so easy to do. I still need a heap more outdoor stuff.

I recently upgraded my car from a laser to a commodore. If everything has really taken off in a few years I will upgrade to a bigger car with more seats.

For some reason I thought my 'blue card' was my Working with Children Check which is done seperately to the police check.

I am fine with reheating food. The children also get sent with noodles and baked beans sometimes. I am just careful with it. Just like when I cook for them.

The working bee was wonderful. The place is awesome. I have a proper set up in the study with my desk and finally got my cartridges re-filled for the printer so I am all set up. Dragged everything out of the shed and threw over HALF of what was in there in the rubbish.

I got an update today about one of my sick children. He wont be back until the end of the week. He is dropping his days because his mummy is pregnant again and has finished work.

Back into again tomorrow. I love having Mondays off, gives me a chance to get the place in order after the weekends. DD goes to daycare Mondays and Fridays so I use Mondas to get LOTS done.

We have accreditation coming up soon so I have to get all my paper work and stuff in order. I have child protection training Wednesday night so it's going to be a busy week.

PMing you now beccalyn.

#44 mumofmaximus

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:00 AM

OMG sounds like you are going to be busy Kodi! or already is and has been busy! laughing2.gif  laughing2.gif  laughing2.gif FDC sounds very much like it's going to be full on work. Somehow i feel overwhelmed although i've done stuff like that before, but i think it's the unknown that is scary. I
had gone through accreditation before but that was years ago when i was still working in CC.
Is it scary? Or you just have to keep records in order? Do they breath over your shoulders while you work? If so i might have to brush up on my singing  laughing2.gif

#45 daretofly

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

mumofmaximus - I got accredited(sp?) in the first year I started. It wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be.
The lady that came out was lovely. She just observed and jotted things down. Asked a few questions and looked around the house. I had all my paperwork out for her to go through and she said some really nice things to me before she left that made me feel encouraged. She was here a totoal of three hours.

Our scheme is coming up for validation again and the only advance notice we get that they are coming is a phone call in the morning on the day.

My view is though, if you are doing everything by the book, you have nothing to worry about.

Forestfriends - I love your set up. Your parent letter is really good too.

Kodi - It must be a good feeling sorting through everything. I so desperately need to as well.

Where does everyone store the toys not in use. Is everything out or do you rotate?

Edited by daretofly, 19 August 2008 - 07:17 AM.

#46 ChunkyChook

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

mumofmaximus It isn't alot of hard work, just alot of bits and pieces to do. A fair bit of paperwork.

I haven't been through it before but at out lat carer meeting we were told ae are given a 6 week time frame for when they will visit and then they will choose 3 people and can turn up anytime you have children. So if you start at 6am they can turn up at 6am. Apparently they sit quietly in a corner making notes and observing. Ask questions sometimes and have a flick through your paperwork. Usually there for around 3 hours.

daretofly it was so good. I always have a list must dos. The list was getting longer and longer. The weather was half decent yesterday so we just got into it. Got 2 thirds of the list done and the rest I can just do when I have a spare 1/2 an hour here and there.

I am considering starting Cert III or Diploma in Children's Services off campus. Not sure if I can handle it though. I do have Mondays off and every 2nd weekend my DD will be going to her dads as from April next year. Anyone else done anything like this?

What does everyone have for multicultural stuff? I am struggling. I am thinking of getting the kids to do some aboriginal artwork but I dont have any multicultural toys or puzzles or books for that matter. This is my main concern for accreditation.

Most of my toy storage is accessible(sp) by the children but I also have half of my linen press with special toys and books that we only have sometimes and all the art and craft bits. Do you want photos?

#47 daretofly

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

Kodi - You can get some really good puzzles from windmill (not sure if you have them where you are).

Also if you get some magazines from flight centres, the kids can cut them out or you could laminate and make your own puzzles.

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/paper_dolls.htm

This is a great site.

When we look at different countries, I have a map drawn up and we try and find pictures of the people from that country. We then look at what they wear. what they like to eat. What might be some of the customs. The animals that mainly live there etc.

The net has loads of multi cultural activities and the kids really enjoy learning about different nations.

I also took the kids to the museum and we went and looked at the indiginous displays. You can get lots of ideas from this that you can then implement at daycare.

okay, now that I have written an essay i will leave it there.

Nic

#48 heidistar

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

Morning Girls,

I went through accreditaion for FDC & i have just been through it at the CCC i was working in aswel....

I think it's far harder at the CCC then it was for FDC though... For FDC the lady that came out was lovely & just spent the morning with us watching us go through the motions of the routine & jotting things down. As for paperwork she just checked over my 'Daily Diary' for observations & as i wasn't doing it suggested putting in a 'Follow-up' section at the bottom. She checked that i had first aid cert displayed, that i had the policy book displayed for the parents etc. I did really well & got 'High Quality' in every area biggrin.gif Just remember HYGIENE is the biggest factor they are looking at... WASH HANDS a million times, WEAR GLOVES for nappy changes/blowing noses, wash hands before/after preparing food etc etc etc. Oh & they love to see Multicultral activities/music etc

For the CCC it was a lot more work as there is so many more chn & policies etc to be following. Plus also making sure all staff are following the correct proceedures (now that can be hard LOL).

Edited by heidistar, 19 August 2008 - 08:47 AM.

#49 forestfriends

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

I have some things stored away and others on display so that i rotate the toys. I missed out on the accreditation from FDC as it happened last month and I'm only starting this morning.

Thanks for the feedback regarding my parent letter. I'm finding the website is drawing alot of new enquiries.

Well I am going to sign off now, have my first day today only have two children and one has phoned to say they are sick (the 6mth old was in hosptial over the weekend!) so will only have the one child today. She arrives in 1/2hr.

Chat to you all later x
PS If anyone would like to add me to their msn or facebook my address is tam_ryan2002@yahoo.com.au (MSN) Tami Bass (Facebook)

#50 heidistar

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

Good Luck on your first day Tami tthumbs.gif Sorry to hear the baby was sick & in hospital, hope he/she gets better real quickly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.